Making lithium batteries

Jeff Shanab
At the moment, making the chemical yourself is not cost effective, a
completely different type of business that only is profitable if large
batches are made. There are companies that specialize in making these
pre-cursers and make other chemicals to. It would be like making your
own steel for building a car. Why bother?

Re: Making lithium batteries

Jukka Järvinen
Right. There are many suppliers on the planet who sell electrode
materials. Biggest issue is some of the equipment. They cost a lot, but
a hobbyist can make them.

The process it self how to make a cell is not complicated. You just need
to know when and how.

Would it be fun to be able to buy a DIY package for Lion cells ? :)

But.. Making these batteries really requires steady and continous
process. I mean IF you're looking for good quality.

But I believe there will be hundreds of factories pushing Lions and that
will have effect on prices.

I would say that making the cell it self is not an issue anymore. Making
functional vehicles with good quality and long life is a bit problematic.

-Jukka

Jeff Shanab kirjoitti:

> At the moment, making the chemical yourself is not cost effective, a
> completely different type of business that only is profitable if large
> batches are made. There are companies that specialize in making these
> pre-cursers and make other chemicals to. It would be like making your
> own steel for building a car. Why bother?

Re: Making lithium batteries

mos6507-2
Has anyone been able to test out the Firefly batteries yet?  It seems like that technology has the potential for a quicker rollout if there were enough industry interest.

Re: Making lithium batteries

Zeke Yewdall
Nope.  I've got a friend whose uncle works for them, and we've not
managed to get even specs of them yet.... let alone some to try out.
I'd sure like to try them out though....