Maxwell conversion vans

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Maxwell conversion vans

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
I suppose Phil and crew has tried and failed to get SuperCharger access?
  That would seem to be in opposition to Tesla's stated willingness to
share.

I'm sorely tempted to get a quote on a RV conversion.  I'm guessing it
would be around $200k.

I was confused by the web page that shows a Sprinter.  I guess it shows
Maxwell/Dodge leading the pack.  I was surprised to learn that Dodge has
replaced their Sprinter with something apparently of Dodge manufacture.
_______________________________________________
Address messages to [hidden email]
No other addresses in TO and CC fields
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maxwell conversion vans

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list


On 3/23/21 5:15 PM, Willie wrote:
> I suppose Phil and crew has tried and failed to get SuperCharger access?

Is Maxwell able to buy "rollers" from Dodge?  Without engine/transmission.

_______________________________________________
Address messages to [hidden email]
No other addresses in TO and CC fields
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maxwell conversion vans

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
In reply to this post by Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
We didn't even ask.  I did a conversion a few years ago that was
SuperCharger compatible and the owner promptly received a cease and desist
from Tesla's legal team.  Maybe when we are larger and have hundreds of
vans on the road we'll try and ask Tesla again.

It's not a technical problem, We'd need to have billing agreements in
place, and I doubt Tesla will even bother to answer our calls if we try it
now.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 3:15 PM Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suppose Phil and crew has tried and failed to get SuperCharger access?
>   That would seem to be in opposition to Tesla's stated willingness to
> share.
>
> I'm sorely tempted to get a quote on a RV conversion.  I'm guessing it
> would be around $200k.
>
> I was confused by the web page that shows a Sprinter.  I guess it shows
> Maxwell/Dodge leading the pack.  I was surprised to learn that Dodge has
> replaced their Sprinter with something apparently of Dodge manufacture.
> _______________________________________________
> Address messages to [hidden email]
> No other addresses in TO and CC fields
> UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
> LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20210323/0d2cb9db/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
Address messages to [hidden email]
No other addresses in TO and CC fields
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maxwell conversion vans

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
In reply to this post by Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
We haven't asked.  Right now the next year of ProMaster production has all
been bought up by Amazon.  Our preferred model is to convert a used van
that's already paid for it's environmental manufacturing cost, that way our
total footprint is way less.  Plus it's way lower cost.  Fleets that own
high-mileage vans can now take something they've already depreciated, and
renew it and drop the operation and maintenance costs by a huge amount.
It's a win-win, and we greatly extend the life of the chassis.

Of course we are happy to convert a brand new van with a brand new Tesla
drivetrain if a customer wants it, but it costs more, both in $$$ and to
the environment.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On 3/23/21 5:15 PM, Willie wrote:
> > I suppose Phil and crew has tried and failed to get SuperCharger access?
>
> Is Maxwell able to buy "rollers" from Dodge?  Without engine/transmission.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Address messages to [hidden email]
> No other addresses in TO and CC fields
> UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
> LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20210323/7486bd51/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
Address messages to [hidden email]
No other addresses in TO and CC fields
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maxwell conversion vans

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list


On 3/23/21 6:16 PM, (-Phil-) wrote:

> We haven't asked.  Right now the next year of ProMaster production has
> all been bought up by Amazon.  Our preferred model is to convert a used
> van that's already paid for it's environmental manufacturing cost, that
> way our total footprint is way less.  Plus it's way lower cost.  Fleets
> that own high-mileage vans can now take something they've already
> depreciated, and renew it and drop the operation and maintenance costs
> by a huge amount.  It's a win-win, and we greatly extend the life of the
> chassis.
>
> Of course we are happy to convert a brand new van with a brand new Tesla
> drivetrain if a customer wants it, but it costs more, both in $$$ and to
> the environment.

Thanks!  The situation (slowly) dawns on me.  For the one off customer,
do you broker used vans?  Or, is the customer expected to do his own
shopping?

Before this discussion, I was unaware that the new vans existed.  It
seems that they must have been in service, though, for 5+ years.
_______________________________________________
Address messages to [hidden email]
No other addresses in TO and CC fields
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maxwell conversion vans

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
In reply to this post by Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
It's a FIAT!  Dating, apparently, from 2013:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

_______________________________________________
Address messages to [hidden email]
No other addresses in TO and CC fields
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maxwell conversion vans

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20210323/f1f3e2e0/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
Address messages to [hidden email]
No other addresses in TO and CC fields
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maxwell conversion vans

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
In reply to this post by Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list
Yes, the Ram ProMaster is the Fiat Ducato.  It's been sold in North America
since 2013.  It's been a very popular choice in Europe for many years, and
has also been rebadged and sold by other automakers in the EU.

We extensively evaluated all the vans on the market when we started.  The
ProMaster may be ugly (IMHO), but it's a great platform.  The only
complaints are the Engine and Transmission (Especially), Most fleet owners
surveyed claim they have a much lower TCO than the others.  This may also
be why you see cost-conscious fleet owners now choosing it over the Transit
and especially the Sprinter.  Yeah, the Sprinter was the first of its class
of European vans to be imported and it gets all the lust, but the ProMaster
once converted is a MUCH better van even outside of the powertrain.  Once
we eliminate the Engine/Transmission and it's an EV, the rest is really
good.

First off is the low load floor, secondly is load capacity.  Once it's
converted to an ePro, we give it Tesla's awesome powertrain, and it's low
GG and intertial moment, it's the best driving/handling van you've ever
driven.

If you are in LA, SF, or Seattle, let me know and you can come drive it and
see for yourself.  Our first customer was an airport shuttle customer who
runs vans continuously to move people to/from a major international
airport.  They have accumulated extensive operating costs on all Van
platforms they could get their hands on, including the electric offerings
so far.  After about 2 months of service they were raving about how good
our van is, and immediately placed orders for more.

We currently have other fleets testing our vans and the results have been
awesome.  We get more range, more power, better driving dynamics and WAY
more reliability than any other electric van.  The other OEMs are
scrambling to get their offerings to the market, but they are probably
still a few years out, and we are confident they won't have the range and
performance ours has, and there's no way they can get anywhere near our
cost.

Maybe when we get a bit bigger we can introduce a new front end treatment
to get rid of the ugly factor.   Luckily fleet owners aren't as concerned
about looks!  =)


On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 4:34 PM Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On 3/23/21 6:16 PM, (-Phil-) wrote:
> > We haven't asked.  Right now the next year of ProMaster production has
> > all been bought up by Amazon.  Our preferred model is to convert a used
> > van that's already paid for it's environmental manufacturing cost, that
> > way our total footprint is way less.  Plus it's way lower cost.  Fleets
> > that own high-mileage vans can now take something they've already
> > depreciated, and renew it and drop the operation and maintenance costs
> > by a huge amount.  It's a win-win, and we greatly extend the life of the
> > chassis.
> >
> > Of course we are happy to convert a brand new van with a brand new Tesla
> > drivetrain if a customer wants it, but it costs more, both in $$$ and to
> > the environment.
>
> Thanks!  The situation (slowly) dawns on me.  For the one off customer,
> do you broker used vans?  Or, is the customer expected to do his own
> shopping?
>
> Before this discussion, I was unaware that the new vans existed.  It
> seems that they must have been in service, though, for 5+ years.
> _______________________________________________
> Address messages to [hidden email]
> No other addresses in TO and CC fields
> UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
> LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20210323/f38871ac/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
Address messages to [hidden email]
No other addresses in TO and CC fields
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
ARCHIVE: http://www.evdl.org/archive/
LIST INFO: http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org