Miata

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Miata

Electric Blue auto convertions
I just finished a Mazda Miata, Its an AC drive system, the first of its kind with a new motor, Global Industrial Products ( Curtis distributors) and me worked together on this project, The motor came from Europe.
The system uses a Curtis AC controller at 80 volts, The system is suppose to compete with the AC 50, After the car was road ready ,Engineers from Chicago came to my shop, They did some tweaking on the controller/motor and we went for a ride, I took it across the street and had it weighed . It came out 160 Lbs lighter then I started. Then the guy from Chicago took it for a ride, He had a hand held programmer, plugged into the controller, and driving he was making adjustments, then he seen he was doing almost 100 MPH ,,I was impressed . At Curtis in Calif, The motor was on a Dyno and we had all the data from that, Then the motor was sent to me... but it out preformed the data on the road test. When we got back, about a 20 mile run, the motor wasnt even warm..Im impressed again .

I new motor at 144 volts is being made up now, and with the new curtis AC 144 volt controller we start on another car, This one may be a 32 high Boy roadster , kit car, You can buy them done on e-bay cheaper than the price of a kit new . This motor will be about the same size, How they do that ? I dont know, and dont care
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20121011/35447b01/attachment.html 
_______________________________________________
| Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
| Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
|
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miata

Mike Nickerson
What kind of batteries?  What kind of range will it have?

I would have thought 80V might leave the system a little underpowered.  The
battery and controller system must be able to provide pretty high amps.
What kind of amp draw can the system support?

Mike

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of Electric Blue auto convertions
> Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:14 AM
> To: ev
> Subject: [EVDL] Miata
>
> I just finished a Mazda Miata, Its an AC drive system, the first of its
kind with
> a new motor, Global Industrial Products ( Curtis distributors) and me
worked
> together on this project, The motor came from Europe.
> The system uses a Curtis AC controller at 80 volts, The system is suppose
to
> compete with the AC 50, After the car was road ready ,Engineers from
> Chicago came to my shop, They did some tweaking on the controller/motor
> and we went for a ride, I took it across the street and had it weighed .
It came
> out 160 Lbs lighter then I started. Then the guy from Chicago took it for
a ride,

> He had a hand held programmer, plugged into the controller, and driving he
> was making adjustments, then he seen he was doing almost 100 MPH ,,I was
> impressed . At Curtis in Calif, The motor was on a Dyno and we had all the
> data from that, Then the motor was sent to me... but it out preformed the
> data on the road test. When we got back, about a 20 mile run, the motor
> wasnt even warm..Im impressed again .
>
> I new motor at 144 volts is being made up now, and with the new curtis AC
> 144 volt controller we start on another car, This one may be a 32 high Boy
> roadster , kit car, You can buy them done on e-bay cheaper than the price
of
> a kit new . This motor will be about the same size, How they do that ? I
dont

> know, and dont care
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20121011/35447b01/a
> ttachment.html
> _______________________________________________
> | Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
> | Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
> |
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
| Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
| Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
|
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miata

Jeffrey Jenkins
In reply to this post by Electric Blue auto convertions
Electric Blue auto convertions wrote
I just finished a Mazda Miata...
Then the guy from Chicago took it for a ride, He had a hand held programmer, plugged into the controller, and driving he was making adjustments, then he seen he was doing almost 100 MPH ,,I was impressed .
100 mph in a Mazda Miata takes all of about 53hp to maintain:

Cd = 0.38
Fr. Area = 18.4 ft^2
Weight = 2100#




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miata

Dave Hymers
So... 53hp x .74 = 39kw

3900w / 80v = 48.75 amps

right ?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20121013/ac9d1ba5/attachment.html 
_______________________________________________
| Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
| Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
|
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miata

Jeffrey Jenkins
Dave Hymers wrote
So... 53hp x .74 = 39kw

3900w / 80v = 48.75 amps

right ?
Wrong by a factor of 10. Battery current drain should be around 488A at 80VDC. Note that the 80V being referred to in the original post is most likely the Vrms (AC) output rating of the inverter, as the existing Curtis 1238 is supposed to deliver 72Vrms AC output per phase.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miata

Mike Nickerson
Exactly.  With lithium prismatic cells, you would need at least 200Ah cells
to pull that kind of current without damaging cells.  The A123 pouches might
be able to do that with only 100Ah (5 pouches in parallel).  Lead-acid could
provide almost 500A, but I would think a Miata might have trouble packing
around enough of them to get a useful range.

Mike

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of Jeffrey Jenkins
> Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:37 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Miata
>
> Dave Hymers wrote
> > So... 53hp x .74 = 39kw
> >
> > 3900w / 80v = 48.75 amps
> >
> > right ?
>
> Wrong by a factor of 10. Battery current drain should be around 488A at
> 80VDC. Note that the 80V being referred to in the original post is most
likely

> the Vrms (AC) output rating of the inverter, as the existing Curtis
> 1238 is supposed to deliver 72Vrms AC output per phase.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://electric-vehicle-discussion-
> list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Miata-tp4658543p4658613.html
> Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list archive at
> Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> | Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
> | Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
> |
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
| Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
| Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
|
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miata

Dave Hymers
In reply to this post by Electric Blue auto convertions
'Doh! I did indeed completly miss a 0 ... wow. Thought that was a liiittle
low...
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20121013/7c036e31/attachment.html 
_______________________________________________
| Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
| Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
|
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Miata

tomw
In reply to this post by Mike Nickerson
The CALB SE cells will handle 3C bursts according to their spec, the CA cells are spec'ed higher.  I've been running 180 CALB SE cells for about 3 years and pulling 550A or a bit over 3C occasionally during acceleration.  I also run them continuously at about 200A for about 20-25 minutes at a time fairly regularly in the summer (going into the mountains).  Haven't noticed any decrease in range or other change in performance so far.