Musings on a practical solar vehicle.

I think I've mentioned that an Ultravan from the 60's weights about the same as a Nissan Leaf.  Putting the Leaf drive train in the Ultravan would be a good retro mod.  With a 3kw solar array it would charge in 10 hours of sun.  However it might not be the freeway runner the Leaf is at 22 feet long and 8 feet wide although better than any RV.  Some mirror replacement and wheel well covering might be needed. Possibly a better way might be a VW bus chopped down or even better a purpose built body to put on the VW bus pan.  Weighing in at 1500 pounds with a 2kw solar array it would charge quickly and might even cruise at 25mph on the array alone on level ground.  I am trying to avoid building a purpose built vehicle from the ground up.  Seems a daunting task.  I am currently figuring out a design to put over my recumbent trike. 2kw battery 800 watt array.  It is all very scale-able. What I learn from the trike will help with future projects.The current philosophy is more batteries.  I think efficiency is a better way.   Lawrence Rhodes

Re: Musings on a practical solar vehicle.

You should keep in mind that you only get about three hours of "good" PV
energy per day.

On Jan 2, 2018 11:57, "Lawrence Rhodes via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I've mentioned that an Ultravan from the 60's weights about the
> same as a Nissan Leaf.  Putting the Leaf drive train in the Ultravan would
> be a good retro mod.  With a 3kw solar array it would charge in 10 hours of
> sun.  However it might not be the freeway runner the Leaf is at 22 feet
> long and 8 feet wide although better than any RV.  Some mirror replacement
> and wheel well covering might be needed. Possibly a better way might be a
> VW bus chopped down or even better a purpose built body to put on the VW
> bus pan.  Weighing in at 1500 pounds with a 2kw solar array it would charge
> quickly and might even cruise at 25mph on the array alone on level ground.
> I am trying to avoid building a purpose built vehicle from the ground up.
> Seems a daunting task.  I am currently figuring out a design to put over my
> recumbent trike. 2kw battery 800 watt array.  It is all very scale-able.
> What I learn from the trike will help with future projects.The current
> philosophy is more batteries.  I think efficiency is a better way.
>  Lawrence Rhodes
> group/NEDRA)

Re: Musings on a practical solar vehicle.

I believe the term used is "full sun equivalent" as it takes the many low irradiance hours and virtually compresses those into a period of full noontime sun, which delivers about 1000W per sq meter on a plane perpendicular to the sun rays.Your latitude, time of year and local weather determine how many full sun eq hours you can expect. There are places where it can top 5 hrs per day, but most locations get less, especially in winter. I presume you still like to travel in winter?Cor.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------From: Willie McKemie via EV <[hidden email]> Date: 1/2/18  10:04 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]> Cc: Willie McKemie <[hidden email]> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Musings on a practical solar vehicle.
You should keep in mind that you only get about three hours of "good" PV
energy per day.

On Jan 2, 2018 11:57, "Lawrence Rhodes via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I've mentioned that an Ultravan from the 60's weights about the
> same as a Nissan Leaf.  Putting the Leaf drive train in the Ultravan would
> be a good retro mod.  With a 3kw solar array it would charge in 10 hours of
> sun.  However it might not be the freeway runner the Leaf is at 22 feet
> long and 8 feet wide although better than any RV.  Some mirror replacement
> and wheel well covering might be needed. Possibly a better way might be a
> VW bus chopped down or even better a purpose built body to put on the VW
> bus pan.  Weighing in at 1500 pounds with a 2kw solar array it would charge
> quickly and might even cruise at 25mph on the array alone on level ground.
> I am trying to avoid building a purpose built vehicle from the ground up.
> Seems a daunting task.  I am currently figuring out a design to put over my
> recumbent trike. 2kw battery 800 watt array.  It is all very scale-able.
> What I learn from the trike will help with future projects.The current
> philosophy is more batteries.  I think efficiency is a better way.
>  Lawrence Rhodes
> group/NEDRA)

Re: Musings on a practical solar vehicle.

> You should keep in mind that you only get about three hours
> of "good" PV energy per day.

One can look it up online.  Arizona gets about 7, Maryland gets about 4.
And that includes the annual weather factor.  So 1kw array delivers about
4 kWh per day (average) in Maryland.

Bob

On Jan 2, 2018 11:57, "Lawrence Rhodes via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I've mentioned that an Ultravan from the 60's weights about
> the same as a Nissan Leaf.  Putting the Leaf drive train in the
> Ultravan would be a good retro mod.  With a 3kw solar array it would
> charge in 10 hours of sun.  However it might not be the freeway runner
> the Leaf is at 22 feet long and 8 feet wide although better than any
> RV.  Some mirror replacement and wheel well covering might be needed.
> Possibly a better way might be a VW bus chopped down or even better a
> purpose built body to put on the VW bus pan.  Weighing in at 1500
> pounds with a 2kw solar array it would charge quickly and might even
cruise at 25mph on the array alone on level ground.
> I am trying to avoid building a purpose built vehicle from the ground
up.
> Seems a daunting task.  I am currently figuring out a design to put
> over my recumbent trike. 2kw battery 800 watt array.  It is all very
scale-able.

> What I learn from the trike will help with future projects.The current
> philosophy is more batteries.  I think efficiency is a better way.
>  Lawrence Rhodes
> scrubbed...
> group/NEDRA)

Re: Musings on a practical solar vehicle.

Well, the Stella Lux and Stella Vie appear to be practical solar powered
cars but they are extremely lightweight and highly aerodynamic.

--
Larry Gales

Re: Musings on a practical solar vehicle.

I would love to see your design to put over your recumbent trike. My wife
and I both have Catrike recumbent trikes. They currently have Bionx
electric motors on the rear wheels.

On Jan 2, 2018 1:18 PM, "Larry Gales via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, the Stella Lux and Stella Vie appear to be practical solar powered
> cars but they are extremely lightweight and highly aerodynamic.
>
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > I think I've mentioned that an Ultravan from the 60's weights about the
> > same as a Nissan Leaf.  Putting the Leaf drive train in the Ultravan
> would
> > be a good retro mod.  With a 3kw solar array it would charge in 10 hours
> of
> > sun.  However it might not be the freeway runner the Leaf is at 22 feet
> > long and 8 feet wide although better than any RV.  Some mirror
> replacement
> > and wheel well covering might be needed. Possibly a better way might be a
> > VW bus chopped down or even better a purpose built body to put on the VW
> > bus pan.  Weighing in at 1500 pounds with a 2kw solar array it would
> charge
> > quickly and might even cruise at 25mph on the array alone on level
> ground.
> > I am trying to avoid building a purpose built vehicle from the ground up.
> > Seems a daunting task.  I am currently figuring out a design to put over
> my
> > recumbent trike. 2kw battery 800 watt array.  It is all very scale-able.
> > What I learn from the trike will help with future projects.The current
> > philosophy is more batteries.  I think efficiency is a better way.
> >  Lawrence Rhodes
> > group/NEDRA)
> >

> --
> Larry Gales
> group/NEDRA)

Re: Musings on a practical solar vehicle.

> On Jan 2, 2018, at 9:57 AM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am trying to avoid building a purpose built vehicle from the ground up. I am currently figuring out a design to put over my recumbent trike.

Not to be a smart-ass or anything, but:

https://rhoadescar.com/models/solaride/

https://rhoadescar.com/models/solarped/

http://velove.se/along-rhine-solar-muscle-powered-quadricycle-day-2-rheinberg-koln/

And then there’s this, which has that we-just-rendered-it-no-you-can’t-order-it-yet look:  http://www.v-group.fr/automotive-4/astrolab/

                                -Bill

On 2 Jan 2018 at 17:57, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:

> Putting the Leaf drive train in the Ultravan ... might not be the
> freeway runner the Leaf is at 22 feet long and 8 feet wide

Nissan Leaf, 107hp.  Chevrolet Corvair (1965-9), 95hp (110hp optional).

Looks like it might even be an improvement on a stock Ultra Van, except for
the range, of course.

As for that range hit, consider that a stock Corvair got around 20-25mpg in
highway driving, and the Ultra Van returned 15mpg.  Could be worse.