My TS experience

Seppo

Hello all!

Back from the summer holidays. There really is a heavy Thunder Sky
bashing going on here. The picture that you get from most of the
stories is quite gloomy, both technically and businesswise.

I don't know about their way of making business, but here are some
technical experiences as a user.

Since March 2007 I have been driving a Subaru Elcat, equipped with
ThunderSky batteries and a BMS from Jukka.
The original Subaru Elcat has a lead-acid pack, 78 V, 180 Ah, 416 kg.
Range is something like 50 km.
The lithium pack is 80 V, 350 Ah, 312 kg pack, built of 24 ThunderSky
350/400 Ah batteries.

I have made almost 6000 km (4000 miles) now, which comes mostly from
commuting to work. My total commute both-way is 76 km (47 miles),
which
distance I can now make very well without charging at work. Although I
charge at work anyway, maybe once or twice a week. This is because the
car's charger is only 1.6 kW and charging only at home at night is not
always sufficient.

The average drive per charge might be something like 60 km (37 miles).
This means that I have made some 90-100 charging cycles with the
batteries now. No change in battery behaviour or capacity degradation
has been observed.

Range figures: My normal consumption for the one-way commute is very
close to 100 Ah, which gives: 100 Ah/38 km = 2.64 Ah/km. Energywise it
makes 2.64 Ah/km * 80 V = 210 Wh/km = 340 Wh/mile.
Mathematically you get for the range: 350 Ah / 2.64 Ah/km = 132 km =
82 miles.

I have never tried to test the maximum range, but my longest drive on
one charge has been 110 km (68 miles), and there was yet no sign of
nearing the limit, only the cell voltages started to sag a bit.
Normally the cell voltage stays between 3.1-3.3 V depending how heavy
foot you have.

Note also that approximately one half of my commute is done with the
accelerator floored (the top speed of the Elcat is 85 km/h (53 mph)
which just barely lets one keep the normal road traffic rhythm, and
not
even that at up-hills ;). So with a little lighter foot there should
be
no problem reaching 150-160 km (90-100 miles), and I think you can
make
even 180-200 km (110-120 miles) if you drive slowly and carefully.

I have been very happy with the batteries' performance. There is
tremendous difference to lead-acid technology, and also to NiCd
technology.

Seppo Lindborg

Re: My TS experience

damon henry

> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:57:24 +0200> From: [hidden email]> To: [hidden email]> Subject: [EVDL] My TS experience> Since March 2007 I have been driving a Subaru Elcat, equipped with> ThunderSky batteries and a BMS from Jukka.> The original Subaru Elcat has a lead-acid pack, 78 V, 180 Ah, 416 kg.> Range is something like 50 km.> The lithium pack is 80 V, 350 Ah, 312 kg pack, built of 24 ThunderSky> 350/400 Ah batteries.
What kind of current do you typically draw?

damon

Remember the Smart copy..

Jukka Järvinen
Hi all.

Just today I had a funny EVent with the ah-so-horrible-smart-copy we
spotted from ebay some time ago.

I was meeting one quite big gov owned Chinese company interested in EVs.

I had chance to have a brief visit in their R&D facilities. I saw few
small EVs and hybrid buses. AND the yellow smart copy !

So now I know the company, owners and the project status. They felt a
bit sore when I pointed my finger on that yellow glassfiber thing. I bet
the general manager was not so happy about the letters from Smart...

 From a far distance with bad eye sight it really do look a bit smart
but when going in the "car".. geez... Daimler has nothing to fear.

They are talking about making these cars with small 3 phase AC motor
with lead acids and sell them out with 25000 RMB in China. That's
about.. $3000..

For small vehicle that sits two (almost) and has enough space in back
for groceries (if not that hungry) it was looking better every minute in
it. It was a proto so it was not looking finished. Paint job was done
with haste. But at least they were not even plannig a hybridize it. Good
move. Pure BEV!

BUT they will to make affordable EVs for EVeryone is here. Company has
few billion overturn (RMB) and resources.

Main business for them is to make permanent magnet and various types of
industion motors. They have 9 and 12 kW motors off the shelf for EVs.
Also in the show room was a modell of submarine which they have made
motors for.

I will get details a bit later about the smaller motors. Price can be ok
and this could be one source for affordable AC systems.

They are trying hard to learn about EVs and currently they are on about
our early 1990's on tech level. With a little push and resources for QC
there is a chance to help rEVolution.

I had my camera on me but was denied the right to use it. Maybe next time...

I bet they could make 30-40 k pcs of some sort of small EV during next
year. How's the freedomEV coming up :)

-Jukka

Re: My TS experience

Seppo
The present version of the instrumentation does not show the current in
the display but I think it will be included in the later software
versions.

I have a feeling that the max. current draw is somewhere around 350 A
and in normal driving it is some 200 amps.

Seppo

To: [hidden email]> Subject: [EVDL] My TS experience> Since March