Need advice selecting an electric vehicle

Need advice selecting an electric vehicle

Darrell S

I am currently looking to purchase a car to replace the conversion van I have
been driving. If my calculations are correct it is costing me about 10-12
dollars to make the round trip from home to work and back and it is time to
change things.

I have a 40 mile round trip and I don't have access to electricity to charge
the vehicle while at work. I would also like a 10 mile buffer on my range in
case I have to deviate from my usual route and run an errand on the way
home.

Also, any route that I take is going to require me to drive at least 45mph
and if I take that route I will have to add a few miles each way to get to
the back roads. I really need to be able to do 55.

Is there any type of conversion combination that will work given those
considerations?

Re: Need advice selecting an electric vehicle

Chuck Homic
Darrell S wrote:
> I have a 40 mile round trip and I don't have access to electricity to charge
> the vehicle while at work. I would also like a 10 mile buffer on my range in
> case I have to deviate from my usual route and run an errand on the way
> home.
>
> Also, any route that I take is going to require me to drive at least 45mph
> and if I take that route I will have to add a few miles each way to get to
> the back roads. I really need to be able to do 55.

I'm in a similar situation, so I'll watch the answers to this thread
carefully.

I've been spending a lot of time with Jerry's EV calculator:
http://www.evconvert.com/tools/evcalc/

This setup (50mi@55mph) will require a healthy lead/steel ratio.
1400lbs in a 2800lb donor (like a 4dr sedan) if it can take it (over 2
tons gross vehicle weight), or a full ton of batteries in a pickup
(5000lbs total), unless some of the defaults in the calculator are
sketchy.  This is assuming you spend some time at ~30mph on the way
to/from the 55mph road.

Right now, I'm holding off buying a donor until I come up with something
brilliant.  So far the best chance seems to be a electric assist bicycle. :)

Re: Need advice selecting an electric vehicle

Bob Bath
The 40 mile round trip is do-able in my Civvy, but the
extra 10 mi. cushion is definitely not, especially if
you really need 55 mph the whole way, and if the route
is in the dead of winter...

Sounds like you've converted before, so feel free to
check out the website.  Let me know if I can help you.
peace,

--- Darrell S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am currently looking to purchase a car to replace
> the conversion van I have
> been driving. If my calculations are correct it is
> costing me about 10-12
> dollars to make the round trip from home to work and
> back and it is time to
> change things.
>
> I have a 40 mile round trip and I don't have access
> to electricity to charge
> the vehicle while at work. I would also like a 10
> mile buffer on my range in
> case I have to deviate from my usual route and run
> an errand on the way
> home.
>
> Also, any route that I take is going to require me
> to drive at least 45mph
> and if I take that route I will have to add a few
> miles each way to get to
> the back roads. I really need to be able to do 55.
>
> Is there any type of conversion combination that
> will work given those
> considerations?

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 "CiviWithACord" DVD shows footage of my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Re: Need advice selecting an electric vehicle

Dan Frederiksen-2
I'm not necessarily all knowing in this topic but let's see if we can't
agree on some premises.

money is an issue
a lighter car consumes less energy thus makes the battery pack cheaper
a more aerodynamic car consumes less energy
you are not allergic to the car being attractive

now more for the more uncertain:
a 100km range is on the edge of what lead acid can reasonably do
especially when the capacity drops and you need it all
instead you could go with lithiums like thundersky (cheap large LiFePO4
batteries) that although expensive is cheaper in the long run that lead
acid?
someone with experience can chime in on those two (I know thundersky has
a shady past but Ian Hooper just bought some, let's see what he finds)

I would maybe try a the first generation Mazda miata. light and
aerodynamic, inexpensive and not ugly. one here:
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1389
I would also look into getting some tyres that are low rolling
resistence. that might buy you 10-20% ekstra range? but the tyres may
not exist..

small motor like ADC6.7 and curtis controller. if 950$ for the motor is
too much you could even try a chinese Zibo one. Zap Xebra uses one so
can't be all bad. less than half price.

that's it for the semi realistic suggestions.
more freaky deaky you could consider half the pack size (down to maybe
6k$ lithium and a little less than what you need) and then rig some kind
of combustion engine generator (scooter motor-alternator combo maybe?)
to get you the last couple of kilometers. from Lee Hart's numbers it
really doesn't take much more than 12 ponies to keep you cruising at
100km/h. it could be as simple as coupling the generator in parallel
with the batteries/controller and a manual throttle in the cabin. once
needed you can set it to full throttle and any energy you don't use with
the curtis goes into the batteries? that's just thinking out loud.
someone can perhaps say if this is actually doable in the simple way
suggested.
the advantage would of course be that it's cheaper and that it can have
near infinite range. disadvantage is you have to make it.

Dan

ps. turbocharging makes for a smaller motor but again more complexity
(since they don't exist in scooter size?)