New EV Owner and Question

Mike Nickerson
Hello everybody,

I finally jumped in and bought an EV!  I bought a 1993 Honda del Sol
converted with an ADC FB1-4001A, Kelly KDH14800D and 45 Thundersky 100Ah
lithium cells.  I hope to make this my daily driver with 23 mile one-way
commute and charging at work.

The question:  during the test drive, we had a problem with the motor
(almost brand new).  One of the brush springs came out completely and was
rattling around in the motor.  Another spring was working out when we
checked.

The motor is being run in reverse because Honda motors usually run
backwards.  However, the motor has not been adjusted to run backwards.  I
wonder if that is causing the problem.  Does anyone have a pointer to
specifications or instructions on making that change?  I know it can be
done, but haven't been able to find instructions for that.

I'm going to take the car into a motor shop to make sure this didn't do
other damage, but I won't know until tomorrow how familiar the shop is with
this particular motor.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Re: New EV Owner and Question

Bill Dube
Typical motor shops know nothing about DC series wound motors, unless
they work on forklift motors. A forklift shop can be a better bet.

The motor will not be at all happy running backward at 140 volts
without changing the brush timing. This is likely the cause of your
missing brush springs. Don't drive the car with this problem or the
motor will become completely unrepairable.

Bill Dube'

At 04:29 PM 7/18/2010, you wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>

>I finally jumped in and bought an EV!  I bought a 1993 Honda del Sol
>converted with an ADC FB1-4001A, Kelly KDH14800D and 45 Thundersky 100Ah
>lithium cells.  I hope to make this my daily driver with 23 mile one-way
>commute and charging at work.
>

>The question:  during the test drive, we had a problem with the motor
>(almost brand new).  One of the brush springs came out completely and was
>rattling around in the motor.  Another spring was working out when we
>checked.
>

>The motor is being run in reverse because Honda motors usually run
>backwards.  However, the motor has not been adjusted to run backwards.  I
>wonder if that is causing the problem.  Does anyone have a pointer to
>specifications or instructions on making that change?  I know it can be
>done, but haven't been able to find instructions for that.
>

>I'm going to take the car into a motor shop to make sure this didn't do
>other damage, but I won't know until tomorrow how familiar the shop is with
>this particular motor.
>

>Thanks for any help.
>

>Mike

Re: New EV Owner and Question

joe-22
Hi, Mike - where are you located? I know of a couple shops here in Oregon
that could help you out.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

> I finally jumped in and bought an EV!  I bought a 1993 Honda del Sol
> converted with an ADC FB1-4001A, Kelly KDH14800D and 45 Thundersky 100Ah
> lithium cells.  I hope to make this my daily driver with 23 mile one-way
> commute and charging at work.
>

> The question:  during the test drive, we had a problem with the motor
> (almost brand new).  One of the brush springs came out completely and was
> rattling around in the motor.  Another spring was working out when we
> checked.
>

> The motor is being run in reverse because Honda motors usually run
> backwards.  However, the motor has not been adjusted to run backwards.  I
> wonder if that is causing the problem.  Does anyone have a pointer to
> specifications or instructions on making that change?  I know it can be
> done, but haven't been able to find instructions for that.
>

> I'm going to take the car into a motor shop to make sure this didn't do
> other damage, but I won't know until tomorrow how familiar the shop is
> with
> this particular motor.
>

> Thanks for any help.
>

> Mike

Re: New EV Owner and Question

Alan Poon
G'day Mike, generally, motors shouldn't hv problems doing reverse without
any modifications, may I know what type of motors are u using?

2010/7/19 joe <[hidden email]>

> Hi, Mike - where are you located? I know of a couple shops here in Oregon
> that could help you out.
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
> E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: New EV Owner and Question

Mike Nickerson
I'm in the Boise, Idaho area.  Western Oregon would be an easy trip.  I'm
about 1/2 way between Boise and Ontario.  I've been checking the phone book
and web and there are a couple of forklift dealers/service companies that
look promising.  I'm going to do some calling around in the morning.

I've still got it on the U-haul trailer I used to transport it from Montana
and I have that until Tuesday, so finding some place to drop the car off on
Monday would be really handy.  As big as Boise is, I've got to believe that
I can find somebody that can work on the motor.  For all the "car" type
parts, I can use my regular mechanic.  All the electronics, I can mess with
myself.

Mike

> I finally jumped in and bought an EV!  I bought a 1993 Honda del Sol
> converted with an ADC FB1-4001A, Kelly KDH14800D and 45 Thundersky 100Ah
> lithium cells.  I hope to make this my daily driver with 23 mile one-way
> commute and charging at work.
>

> The question:  during the test drive, we had a problem with the motor
> (almost brand new).  One of the brush springs came out completely and was
> rattling around in the motor.  Another spring was working out when we
> checked.
>

> The motor is being run in reverse because Honda motors usually run
> backwards.  However, the motor has not been adjusted to run backwards.  I
> wonder if that is causing the problem.  Does anyone have a pointer to
> specifications or instructions on making that change?  I know it can be
> done, but haven't been able to find instructions for that.
>

> I'm going to take the car into a motor shop to make sure this didn't do
> other damage, but I won't know until tomorrow how familiar the shop is
> with
> this particular motor.
>

> Thanks for any help.
>

> Mike

http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20100718/5915532c/attac
hment.html

Re: New EV Owner and Question

Mike Nickerson
The motor is an ADC FB1-4001A running at 144v.

After driving it, we found one of the brush springs in the brush area
(behind the ventilation screen).  It was rattling around against the rotor
and was partly melted.  It looks to me though, like it broke part of its
holder when it came off.  There is another type of metal in the center of
the round part of the spring.   There is another spring that was working its
way out on a separate set of brushes.  There was also a lot of residue on
the outside of the screen near the brushes that were missing the spring
holder.  I assume this was because the brushes weren't being held down
properly and were probably arcing.

Mike

2010/7/19 joe <[hidden email]>

> Hi, Mike - where are you located? I know of a couple shops here in
> Oregon that could help you out.
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
> E-mail: [hidden email]

Honda's U3-X personal mobility device

Bill Dube
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: New EV Owner and Question

joe-22
The best place in Oregon would be in Redmond, owned and operated by Jim
Husted. He is very much into EV's, thanks to John Wayland of White Zombie
fame. His shop is now called Jimerico, and the website is www.jimerico.net .
He can rebuild the motor completely if necessary. Highly recommended, if you
can't find a shop there in Boise.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

> I'm in the Boise, Idaho area.  Western Oregon would be an easy trip.  I'm
> about 1/2 way between Boise and Ontario.  I've been checking the phone
> book
> and web and there are a couple of forklift dealers/service companies that
> look promising.  I'm going to do some calling around in the morning.
>
> I've still got it on the U-haul trailer I used to transport it from
> Montana
> and I have that until Tuesday, so finding some place to drop the car off
> on
> Monday would be really handy.  As big as Boise is, I've got to believe
> that
> I can find somebody that can work on the motor.  For all the "car" type
> parts, I can use my regular mechanic.  All the electronics, I can mess
> with
> myself.
>
> Mike

Re: New EV Owner and Question

Mark Grasser
I will second Jim's ability. I have 3 of his motors. They are beautifully
done.

> I'm in the Boise, Idaho area.  Western Oregon would be an easy trip.  I'm
> about 1/2 way between Boise and Ontario.  I've been checking the phone
> book
> and web and there are a couple of forklift dealers/service companies that
> look promising.  I'm going to do some calling around in the morning.
>
> I've still got it on the U-haul trailer I used to transport it from
> Montana
> and I have that until Tuesday, so finding some place to drop the car off
> on
> Monday would be really handy.  As big as Boise is, I've got to believe
> that
> I can find somebody that can work on the motor.  For all the "car" type
> parts, I can use my regular mechanic.  All the electronics, I can mess
> with
> myself.
>
> Mike

Re: New EV Owner and Question

Mike Nickerson
I actually have an answer to my own question (partially, at least).  I
contacted Bob Batson at EV America (www.EVAmerica.com) by email  last night
and got a very complete answer this morning.  The end of the motor needs to
be taken off and rotated to change the brush timing.  Bob provided drawings
and instructions in his reply.  He is also able to provide parts such as
brushes and springs.

I'll be contacting forklift dealers this morning to see if they are willing
and able to take a look at the motor.

Big thank you to Bob and EV America!

Mike

At 04:29 PM 7/18/2010, you wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>

>I finally jumped in and bought an EV!  I bought a 1993 Honda del Sol
>converted with an ADC FB1-4001A, Kelly KDH14800D and 45 Thundersky
>100Ah lithium cells.  I hope to make this my daily driver with 23 mile
>one-way commute and charging at work.
>

>The question:  during the test drive, we had a problem with the motor
>(almost brand new).  One of the brush springs came out completely and
>was rattling around in the motor.  Another spring was working out when
>we checked.
>

>The motor is being run in reverse because Honda motors usually run
>backwards.  However, the motor has not been adjusted to run backwards.
>I wonder if that is causing the problem.  Does anyone have a pointer to
>specifications or instructions on making that change?  I know it can be
>done, but haven't been able to find instructions for that.
>

>I'm going to take the car into a motor shop to make sure this didn't do
>other damage, but I won't know until tomorrow how familiar the shop is
>with this particular motor.
>

>Thanks for any help.
>

>Mike
>
>-------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was
>scrubbed...

Re: Honda's U3-X personal mobility device

Lawrence Rhodes
The Segway was bad enough.  Just another useless labor saving device except like the Segway good for some handicapped people.  Lawrence Rhodes...

Re: Honda's U3-X personal mobility device

Dennis Miles
A really neat unit especially with the two 98 lb. girls riding, wonder what
big old 300 lb. man like me would do?   The engineering side of my
experience asks how long do those little wheels last and are they easy to
replace every week if you ride outside on concrete sidewalks? or is just for
inside use? (I don't expect any answers, I am just saying it doesn't look
"Practical".)
Regards,
Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM    (Adviser) EVTI-EVA Education Chapter
Phone (863) 944 - 9913
  It’s estimated that the existing U.S. electrical grid has sufficient
capacity to fully fuel three-quarters of the nation’s 217 million passenger
vehicles.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Lawrence Rhodes <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> The Segway was bad enough.  Just another useless labor saving device except
> like the Segway good for some handicapped people.  Lawrence Rhodes...

Re: Honda's U3-X personal mobility device

Dennis Miles
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Lawrence Rhodes <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> The Segway was bad enough.  Just another useless labor saving device except
> like the Segway good for some handicapped people.  Lawrence Rhodes...
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Segway needs a seat !  Add a seat and a simple footrest and lower the
controls and put them on the sides like arms and that would be a darn good
powered wheelchair and senior scooter combined !!--
Regards,
Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM    (Adviser) EVTI-EVA Education Chapter
Phone (863) 944 - 9913
  It’s estimated that the existing U.S. electrical grid has sufficient
capacity to fully fuel three-quarters of the nation’s 217 million passenger
vehicles.

Re: Honda's U3-X personal mobility device

SteveS-5
I noted that most of the time they were dragging (or near dragging)
their toes. Wonder if it was just a natural reaction or it was needed.

-SteveS

On 7/19/2010 4:05 PM, Dennis Miles wrote:

> A really neat unit especially with the two 98 lb. girls riding, wonder what
> big old 300 lb. man like me would do?   The engineering side of my
> experience asks how long do those little wheels last and are they easy to
> replace every week if you ride outside on concrete sidewalks? or is just for
> inside use? (I don't expect any answers, I am just saying it doesn't look
> "Practical".)
> Regards,
> Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
> www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM    (Adviser) EVTI-EVA Education Chapter
> Phone (863) 944 - 9913
>    It's estimated that the existing U.S. electrical grid has sufficient
> capacity to fully fuel three-quarters of the nation's 217 million passenger
> vehicles.
>
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Lawrence Rhodes<[hidden email]
>
>> wrote:
>>

>> The Segway was bad enough.  Just another useless labor saving device except
>> like the Segway good for some handicapped people.  Lawrence Rhodes...

Re: New EV Owner and Question

Jeff Shanab
I will third it. I over RPM'd my motor and Jim fixed it up for me.
A true craftsman who understands EV's and a genuinely great guy to do buisness with.

A little trick in shipping the motor if you go UPS. I split it to two boxes and had a company that is on a customer route ship it
and it cost less than 1/4 of typical "residential" shipping costs.

PS. thanks for mentioning his new web site, I don't know how I missed that announcement on the list ;-)
   If you go to jims corner you will still find my motor before and after in the hall of flames

http://hitorqueelectric.com/gallery/v/ouch/Blown+Commutators/?g2_GALLERYSID=5c448205d31ad88d2b4307dd1c06fda7

> I will second Jim's ability. I have 3 of his motors. They are beautifully
> done

Re: New EV Owner and Question

jonglauser
Mike Nickerson wrote
I'm in the Boise, Idaho area.  Western Oregon would be an easy trip.  I'm
about 1/2 way between Boise and Ontario.
Hey! Nice to have another EV in the area. Probably not close enough that we'll see each other much, but we have about 10 EVs in the Boise area. Welcome! If you need some local help I have access to a mechanic shop in Meridian.

-Jon Glauser
www.evalbum.com/555

Re: Honda's U3-X personal mobility device

Dennis Miles
It looked like simply lack of heel on shoe to keep it from slipping forward.
those foot pegs were too small. IMHO.
Dennis Miles

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 4:18 PM, SteveS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noted that most of the time they were dragging (or near dragging)
> their toes. Wonder if it was just a natural reaction or it was needed.
>
> -SteveS
>
> On 7/19/2010 4:05 PM, Dennis Miles wrote:
> > A really neat unit especially with the two 98 lb. girls riding, wonder
> what
> > big old 300 lb. man like me would do?   The engineering side of my
> > experience asks how long do those little wheels last and are they easy to
> > replace every week if you ride outside on concrete sidewalks? or is just
> for
> > inside use? (I don't expect any answers, I am just saying it doesn't look
> > "Practical".)
> > Regards,
> > Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
> > www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM    (Adviser) EVTI-EVA Education Chapter
> > Phone (863) 944 - 9913
> >    It's estimated that the existing U.S. electrical grid has sufficient
> > capacity to fully fuel three-quarters of the nation's 217 million
> passenger
> > vehicles.

> > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Lawrence Rhodes<
> [hidden email]
> >
> >> wrote:
> >>

> >> The Segway was bad enough.  Just another useless labor saving device
> except
> >> like the Segway good for some handicapped people.  Lawrence Rhodes...

Re: Honda's U3-X personal mobility device

Lee Hart
It looks like another example of style over substance. It's a
interesting idea, but looks very complex and expensive, and not very
practical.

I'll have show it to my BEST kids next year, and see if they can design
a simpler version. They did build their own self-balancing Segway for
under $100. :-)

Re: Honda's U3-X personal mobility device

fred ungewitter
Apologies to those who may recognize that I've posted this before.
http://focusdesigns.com/

It's a direct competitor to the Honda version, except that it's far more
practical for real world use. Seven mile range per charge, bmx-style tire with
decent traction on most surfaces. It's not much of a climber, but it will move
along smartly. It's half a Segway, with a seat. It's a unicycle seat and as
such, not the most comfortable in the world. I swapped mine out for an
air-filled version, for a tremendous improvement.

The Segway is classified in the state of Florida as a mobility-assist device and
has a lot of freedoms that I'd love to have with my SBU. The Segways can go
where bicycles are not permitted, but I doubt that there are lobbyists willing
to push for reduced constraints on a "unicycle" of any form.

Oh, yeah, it's way more affordable, I'm sure, even though I don't know the
Honda's U3-X price.

Dennis, if you ever find yourself in Daytona and need a charge, I have an
outdoor  220v 50 amp "RV" outlet, and you're welcome to take the SBU for a test
drive.

fred

________________________________
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 16:10:24 -0400
From: Dennis Miles <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Honda's U3-X personal mobility device

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Lawrence Rhodes <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> The Segway was bad enough.  Just another useless labor saving device except
> like the Segway good for some handicapped people.  Lawrence Rhodes...
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Segway needs a seat !  Add a seat and a simple footrest and lower the
controls and put them on the sides like arms and that would be a darn good
powered wheelchair and senior scooter combined !!--
Regards,
Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM    (Adviser) EVTI-EVA Education Chapter
Phone (863) 944 - 9913

Re: Honda's U3-X personal mobility device

corbin dunn

On Jul 19, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Lee Hart wrote:

> It looks like another example of style over substance. It's a
> interesting idea, but looks very complex and expensive, and not very
> practical.
>
> I'll have show it to my BEST kids next year, and see if they can design
> a simpler version. They did build their own self-balancing Segway for
> under $100. :-)

Well, to give them a head start:

http://tlb.org/eunicycle.html

corbin (also a unicyclist)