New car - no title.

Martin Klingensmith-3
My girlfriend's father just gave us a 1966 Mustang.

Now, normally, I'd be all excited "oh wow that'd be a great EV!" but
I'm really worried.

We live in Massachusetts. He lives in Connecticut. He never registered
the car in CT because he doesn't have a title. No we have the no-title
no-past-registration car.
Does anyone have any experience with making a car like this legal?
I've been doing some reading and I think we can do a CT title search
but there's no guarantee the car was last titled in CT and I'm not
sure what that information tells us other than "yep, someone had the
title at some point." Any ideas? I'm lost here.

--
Martin K.

Re: New car - no title.

Dennis Miles
Try talking to a used car dealer,  Here in Flotida a dealer can create a
title , perhaps Mass. has something you can do. it might cost a hundred for
"Title Work"  also having the untitled vehicle in your posession can get you
felony jail time, so it is very to not delay. First remove some vital
compent off the engine so it is a pile of parts, not a car (By definition)
then tell a dealer or the dmv you have a pile of parts that you want to
(Resurect) with a new motor etc and ask for the procedure and viability, In
Florida that will work, but you are not in Florida.
Regards,
Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM (Adviser) EVTI-EVA Education Chapter
Phone (863) 944 - 9913
  It’s estimated that the existing U.S. electrical grid has sufficient
capacity to fully fuel three-quarters of the nation’s 217 million passenger
vehicles
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Martin K <[hidden email]>wrote:

> My girlfriend's father just gave us a 1966 Mustang.
>
> Now, normally, I'd be all excited "oh wow that'd be a great EV!" but
> I'm really worried.
>
> We live in Massachusetts. He lives in Connecticut. He never registered
> the car in CT because he doesn't have a title. No we have the no-title
> no-past-registration car.
> Does anyone have any experience with making a car like this legal?
> I've been doing some reading and I think we can do a CT title search
> but there's no guarantee the car was last titled in CT and I'm not
> sure what that information tells us other than "yep, someone had the
> title at some point." Any ideas? I'm lost here.
>
> --
> Martin K.

.

Re: New car - no title.

First go to the DMV and ask them if they can develop a title from a bill of
sale for that car.  Get the person that gave it to you sign a bill of sale
stating the year of the car with the VIN number and all other data
pertaining to that car.

You can make up the bill of sale, send it to him to sign and then send it
back to you for you to sign and date.

I have done this way back in the 70's and got a Junk Title for a car,
because it took about 5 years to recondition it.  When it time to roll, then
get the registration and license for it.

In some states you can get a permanent registration and license for a
vehicle that has a certain age to it.

> My girlfriend's father just gave us a 1966 Mustang.
>
> Now, normally, I'd be all excited "oh wow that'd be a great EV!" but
> I'm really worried.
>
> We live in Massachusetts. He lives in Connecticut. He never registered
> the car in CT because he doesn't have a title. No we have the no-title
> no-past-registration car.
> Does anyone have any experience with making a car like this legal?
> I've been doing some reading and I think we can do a CT title search
> but there's no guarantee the car was last titled in CT and I'm not
> sure what that information tells us other than "yep, someone had the
> title at some point." Any ideas? I'm lost here.
>
> --
> Martin K.

Re: New car - no title.

On 6/26/2010 12:20 PM, Martin K wrote:
> My girlfriend's father just gave us a 1966 Mustang.
> We live in Massachusetts. He lives in Connecticut. He never registered
> the car in CT because he doesn't have a title. No we have the no-title
> no-past-registration car.
> Does anyone have any experience with making a car like this legal?

Every state has its own rules; start by checking with the Massachusetts
DMV to see what the procedure is. Be aware that the "textbook answer"
from a bored bureaucrat may be, "It can't be done - now go away".

In that case, you need to get creative. Look up the regulations
yourself, and pore through them for loopholes. There is *always* a way.
Maybe you apply for a lost title, or do a search to see who the last
owner of record was. Some states have a procedure for re-titling a
vehicle, intended for cases where you build a "new" car out of used
parts. If you have a friend or relative in a "title friendly" state, you
could sell it to them for $1, have them re-title it there, then sell it
back to you. Another approach is to buy a wrecked 1966 Mustang just to
get its title, and transfer all the parts (or perhaps just the VIN# to
your car.

Most of the regulations are aimed at preventing theft. As long as the
car really isn't stolen, it should be possible to get a new title, one
way or another.

Re: New car - no title.

chargehere
Hi Martin, let us know how you get on. I drove a Red Ford Mustang Convertable once, nice car, let us know how you get on and maybe post a link to a picture of it.

Re: New car - no title.

Bob Rice-2
  Hey guyz;

   IN CT IF a car is over 25 years old ya DON'T need a title. A handwritten
bill of sale, or maybe a State CT form SHOULD suffice? My kids were into '62
Ford Falcons and never had to deal with titles. Just go register it! WITH
bill of sale. But GO to a CT DMV, plan on a day of it, pack a lunch, bring a
good book; War and Peace, etc?But of late I've had good experiances at DMV,
well, the Dentist, too<g>?The DMV HQ is in Weathersfield, IF ya can get a
live person THERE, who can get ya moving?

   YMMV?

    Bob
>> My girlfriend's father just gave us a 1966 Mustang.
>> We live in Massachusetts. He lives in Connecticut. He never registered
>> the car in CT because he doesn't have a title. No we have the no-title
>> no-past-registration car.
>> Does anyone have any experience with making a car like this legal?
>
> Every state has its own rules; start by checking with the Massachusetts
> DMV to see what the procedure is. Be aware that the "textbook answer"
> from a bored bureaucrat may be, "It can't be done - now go away".
>
> In that case, you need to get creative. Look up the regulations
> yourself, and pore through them for loopholes. There is *always* a way.
> Maybe you apply for a lost title, or do a search to see who the last
> owner of record was. Some states have a procedure for re-titling a
> vehicle, intended for cases where you build a "new" car out of used
> parts. If you have a friend or relative in a "title friendly" state, you
> could sell it to them for $1, have them re-title it there, then sell it
> back to you. Another approach is to buy a wrecked 1966 Mustang just to
> get its title, and transfer all the parts (or perhaps just the VIN# to
> your car.
>
> Most of the regulations are aimed at preventing theft. As long as the
> car really isn't stolen, it should be possible to get a new title, one
> way or another.
>
> --
> Lee A. Hart | Ring the bells that still can ring
> 814 8th Ave N | Forget the perfect offering
> Sartell MN 56377 | There is a crack in everything
> leeahart earthlink.net | That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

Re: New car - no title.

Zeke Yewdall
It varies ALOT depending on the state... here in Colorado, no title
basically means it's a parts car... because you can never get it
registered.  However, if it runs, you may be able to bond for it and get a
title after appropriate title searches.  If it doesn't run (as many EV
donors....) you can't do that though.  Age doesn't matter here, but seems
like alot of states back east the older cars don't need titles to register
them.   Best bet is to go to the DMV in person and see what the process is
for that particular state...

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Bob Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hey guyz;
>
>   IN CT IF a car is over 25 years old ya DON'T need a title. A handwritten
> bill of sale, or maybe a State CT form SHOULD suffice? My kids were into '62
> Ford Falcons and never had to deal with titles. Just go register it! WITH
> bill of sale. But GO to a CT DMV, plan on a day of it, pack a lunch, bring a
> good book; War and Peace, etc?But of late I've had good experiances at DMV,
> well, the Dentist, too<g>?The DMV HQ is in Weathersfield, IF ya can get a
> live person THERE, who can get ya moving?
>
>   YMMV?
>
>    Bob

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'm going to try my luck at the
registry on Monday. I did some reading and Bob's right (not that he
would ever be wrong) that CT doesn't require a title for a car this
old. So if CT didn't require one, MA should allow me to get a title
because it was bought from CT.
We'll see..

--
Martin K.

Re: New car - no title.

Thos True
The solution seems pretty straight forward. Have your father in law write
out a bill of sale and have it notarized in Conn. then send that paper to
you, which you then present to the DMV representative, as a title is not
required for older cars in Conn.(where your car originated from), the bill
of sale should suffice. -Thos

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Martin K <[hidden email]>wrote:

> My girlfriend's father just gave us a 1966 Mustang.
>
> Now, normally, I'd be all excited "oh wow that'd be a great EV!" but
> I'm really worried.
>
> We live in Massachusetts. He lives in Connecticut. He never registered
> the car in CT because he doesn't have a title. No we have the no-title
> no-past-registration car.
> Does anyone have any experience with making a car like this legal?
> I've been doing some reading and I think we can do a CT title search
> but there's no guarantee the car was last titled in CT and I'm not
> sure what that information tells us other than "yep, someone had the
> title at some point." Any ideas? I'm lost here.
>
> --
> Martin K.

Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82

Re: New car - no title.

Zeke Yewdall
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Martin K <[hidden email]>wrote:

>  So if CT didn't require one, MA should allow me to get a title
> because it was bought from CT.
> We'll see..
>
> Unfortuneately that doesn't work in all states... in Colorado, an older
vehicle from CT would be required to bond for a title because it doesn't
have one... they don't care that CT doesn't require one.  Maybe MA, being an
adjacent state, might not be as strict.

Re: New car - no title.

Thos True
Martin,
I am thinking that being in an adjacent state is a definite point in your
favor. In any case, I am sure that if you were to present the notarized bill
of sale, that you would certainly be able to drive with registration only
for a certain number of years before a permanent title is issued. Here in
Washington State, you would have to drive it with registration only for 3
years. In some states, it is 2, others as many as 4. But if you are fairly
certain that no one will be challenging you for a title, then this is a good
way to proceed.
I know of 2 people who did a great deal of work on such vehicles, only to
have someone pop up after 2 years to claim the car. 1 lost the car to the
claimant, the other placed a mechanics lien on his and obtained a release
from his claimant.
Good luck with your project (send pics!). -Tom

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Martin K <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> >  So if CT didn't require one, MA should allow me to get a title
> > because it was bought from CT.
> > We'll see..
> >
> > Unfortuneately that doesn't work in all states... in Colorado, an older
> vehicle from CT would be required to bond for a title because it doesn't
> have one... they don't care that CT doesn't require one.  Maybe MA, being
> an
> adjacent state, might not be as strict.

Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82

Re: New car - no title.

Andrew Mcclary
I just went through this in Florida with my kit car.  In Florida it is pretty easy once you find out the procedure.  I didn't even have a vin.   You need to have a notarized bill of sale and  all the receipts of all major parts.  In my case the electric motor, batteries and controller.  I then had to take the car in for an inspection.  The inspection was all about matching and verifying serial numbers on the frame, motor, and parts.  One this was done the inspector gave me a VIN and attached a sticker to the onside door frame.  They gave me a sealed envelope with all the documents and their inspection report which I took to the tag office, paid sales tax on the original car price and I got a title and tags.

The hardest part of the procedure was getting the car to the DMV for inspection.   I had to rent a u haul trailer.

When I got there they asked for my keys for the inspector.  I told the girl it wasn't a normal car and they might want my assistance.  She gave me a look and said they could figure it out.   15 minutes later she came out front where I was waiting and asked me to come back and help the inspector.  He couldn't figure out how to open it and was frightened by the high voltage stickers.  Once I showed him how it all worked he really thought it was cool.

Andrew McClary
Www.evmania.com

Re: New car - no title.

Martin Klingensmith-3
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Thos True <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The solution seems pretty straight forward. Have your father in law write
> out a bill of sale and have it notarized in Conn. then send that paper to
> you, which you then present to the DMV representative, as a title is not
> required for older cars in Conn.(where your car originated from), the bill
> of sale should suffice. -Thos

I was hoping so.
As it turns out, her dad bought the car from "some guy" in Boston, so
it potentially has a history here. This could be good or bad. They
want a notarized affidavit stating the facts as her dad states them.
I'm hoping that works and isn't insanely expensive.

--
Martin K.

Re: New car - no title.

Stephen Chapman
Car Fax may give you some useful history for not much money.
Stephen Chapman