New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

admon
This is Steve from Minnesota.  I joined this list mainly because I am wondering about converting small gas powered cars to electric.  My car of choice is Honda Civic mainly since I have both a '91 DX hatch and '91 CRX so I know how to keep everything running on them.  Is this a good choice and how does one get started?

Re: New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

Bob Bath
Mike Chancey has done a Gen. 4.  He used AGMs which don't last very long without careful regulation of charging.  See EVAlbum.com for other Civvy conversions.My thing is Gen 5, b/c it has more room for batteries, as well as a higher gross vehicle weight rating.  If I can help (below), let me know.Collegially,

Thinking about converting a gen. 5 ('92-95) Honda Civic?  See http://home.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html for DVD and tons more info!

                          ____

                       __/__|__\__

             =D-------/   - -     \

                      'O'-----'O'-'

Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?

OR Lic. "LCTRNS"

This is Steve from Minnesota.  I joined this list mainly because I am wondering about converting small gas powered cars to electric.  My car of choice is Honda Civic mainly since I have both a '91 DX hatch and '91 CRX so I know how to keep everything running on them.  Is this a good choice and how does one get started?

Re: New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

Doug Weathers

On Jan 23, 2011, at 10:33 AM, admon wrote:

> This is Steve from Minnesota.

Hi Steve, welcome to the EV List!

> I joined this list mainly because I am wondering about converting small gas powered cars to electric.  My car of choice is Honda Civic mainly since I have both a '91 DX hatch and '91 CRX so I know how to keep everything running on them.  Is this a good choice

In general:

light cars are better than heavy cars
manual transmissions are better than automatics
common cars (that you can get parts for) are better than uncommon cars
cars you love are better than cars you hate

It sounds like your cars might fit those categories pretty well.

> and how does one get started?

By posting "How does one get started?" to the EV List :)

I'd start by checking out the EV Album:

<http://www.evalbum.com>

I also recommend the book "Convert It!" by Mike Brown and Shari Prange (list members).  Your library may have a copy.

Once you have some idea of what's doable, and roughly how to do it, you might start thinking hard about what exactly are your requirements.  Range, cargo capacity, budget, top speed, hill-climbing ability, public outreach....

Have fun opening this box of possibilities!

Later,

Doug

--
Doug Weathers
http://www.gdunge.com

Re: New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

Gary Munkhoff
Steve,

I am also new to the list and learning a lot. There are a lot of sharp
folks out there and they seem to be willing to share their knowledge and
experience.

Check this site: http://www.metricmind.com

Gary M.

On 1/23/11 9:33 AM, admon wrote:

> This is Steve from Minnesota.  I joined this list mainly because I am wondering about converting small gas powered cars to electric.  My car of choice is Honda Civic mainly since I have both a '91 DX hatch and '91 CRX so I know how to keep everything running on them.  Is this a good choice and how does one get started?

An EV In Every Garage

Gary Munkhoff, Editor&  Publisher
Green Living Journal
P.O. Box 677
Cascade Locks, OR 97014
541.374.5454

Re: New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

brucedp3
This post was updated on .
IMHO: Before everything, I recommend you know what your EV driving
needs are. Then look at the vehicles listed in EValbum.com that meet
your needs to know what vehicle types fit, then look at what your
particular specifics will be to optimize the conversion.

When the people at public EVents ask me about doing or buying an EV,
I always ask for the answers to the following questions to help
them know what their EV driving needs are:

-How far do you need to drive on your daily commute?

-How fast do you drive? What speed do you cruise on the highway?

-Will you be climbing any steep hills or mountains on this commute or
 are the route's roads mostly flat?

-How many passengers will be with you on this daily commute, or what
 cargo will you be carrying?

-Where and when will you recharge and with what type of power?

Example:

-Daily commute: 30 miles total, 10 miles city-stop-n-go, 20 miles at a
steady 65mph.

-all roads are fairly flat, climbs are no more than an overpass.

-Only need to seat two, but would like to carry light items with me.

-plan to recharge at home where I have a 120VAC 20 amp outlet and a
 dryer 220/120VAC 30amp outlet in the garage. There is no EV charging
 at work, yet. But there is going to be public EV charging coming to
 downtown which is between work and home, about 10 miles away.

Next, narrow what EV design in what vehicle platform will best suit
those needs by matching their answers to what they see listed
on EValbum.com  With the example's EV driving criteria, a light pickup
truck would also suit those EV driving needs.

Know: just because you have a vehicle to convert, after it is
converted it may not suit your EV driving needs (that is why you have
to know what your EV driving needs are first).

Unless you are in love with these Honda vehicles, after knowing what
EV conversion design best suits EV driving needs, it might be those
Honda vehicles would not fit your needs and you could recoup money by
selling them after your EV conversion is up and on the road.

Also, unless you really-really like to do mechanical work, it might be
more cost effective to not do a conversion, but to buy an already
converted vehicle. There are really nice EV conversions that have had
a lot of love and hard work put into them that are being sold for song
(a good price).

I regularly make an EVs4Sale post and I am due to make another one
soon, but here is the last one:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVs4sale-Leaf-Current-Porsche-Eagle-Aveo-EXP-Force-Metro-Tercel-Escort-td3173118.html

If you have the garage/space, tools, and enjoy the mechanical work
of a conversion, more power to you. Sadly, I see many a started
conversions, stop mid-way, and then be offered for sale because it
has sat undo too long and the better half says it has to go.

Please take your time, ask your EV questions, gather knowledge, go to
your local EAA chapter [ http://eaaev.org/eaachapters.html ] or EV
group to get rides in different EV conversions so you can be
knowledgeable to make good choices. There are many experienced and
knowledgeable EV people on the evdl, so ask and you shall receive.
Its all free and all good.

-
New to the list and wondering about electric conversions
This is Steve from Minnesota. I joined this list mainly because I am
wondering about converting small gas powered cars to electric. My car
of choice is Honda Civic mainly since I have both a '91 DX hatch and
'91 CRX so I know how to keep everything running on them. Is this a
good choice and how does one get started?
-

 . ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter
brucedp.150m.com
*Originator of the above ASCII art

Re: New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

Mike Nickerson
To the other comments, I would also add that Honda CRX models are good
conversions for highway use because they are very aerodynamic.  The power
you need to hold a speed is a combination of frictional losses, tire losses
and aerodynamic losses.  Above speeds of about 35 MPH, the aerodynamic
losses become the major factor.   The CRX body represents one of the more
aerodynamic standard models available.

However, I think you would want to keep the battery weight on the low side
because the Honda Civic's can have a lower cargo capacity.

In addition to Convert It!, I would recommend getting Build Your Own
Electric Vehicle by Bob Brant.  I think there is a second edition, although
I have the first.

These two volumes complement each other pretty well.  Convert It! Is much
more the down-to-earth, how to convert a vehicle, while Brant's book has
more of the theory and some good chapters that will help you size the
components and figure your needs.

Mike

Re: New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

erik
Great Questions ... Great Advice.

However, one more very important question:
 - What will be the prevailing temperatures of your commute?

I had answered all of the other questions perfectly. But I missed this
one on temperatures and got caught trying to go up a small grade over a
highway overpass in December when the temperature was 25F and the
charged batteries just refused to give me sufficient juice to get
sufficient torque from the motor. I got over the overpass but at a
dangerously slow speed. Think about insulation and timing your charge to
just finish before your drive during cold weather.

  ~ Erik
    KlnAir4U
    e-Prius: EVAlbum.com/3497

IMHO: Before everything, I recommend you know what your EV driving
needs are. Then look at the vehicles listed in EValbum.com that meet
your needs to know what vehicle types fit, then look at what your
paticular specifics will be to optimize the conversion.

[...]

on EValbum.com With the example's EV driving critrea, a light pickup
truck would also suit those EV driving needs.

Know: just because you have a vehicle to convert, after it is
converted it may not suit your EV driving needs (that is why you have
to know what your EV driving needs are first).

Unless you are in love with these Honda vehicles, after knowing what
EV conversion design best suits EV driving needs, it might be those
Honda vehicles would not fit your needs and you could recoupe money by
selling them after your EV conversion is up and on the road.

Also, unless you really-really like to do mechanical work, it might be
more cost effective to not do a conversion, but to buy an already
converted vehicle. There are really nice EV conversions that have had
a lot of love and hard work put into them that are being sold for song
(a good price).

I regularly make an EVs4Sale post and I am due to make another one
soon, but here is the last one:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVs4sale-Leaf-Current-Porsche-Eagle-Aveo-EXP-Force-Metro-Tercel-Escort-td3173118.html

Please take your time, ask your EV questions, gather knowledge, go to
your local EAA chapter [ http://eaaev.org/eaachapters.html ] or EV
group to get rides in different EV conversions so you can be
knowledgeable to make good choice(s). There are many expereinced and
knowledgedable EV people on the evdl, so ask and you shall receive.
It all free and all good.

-
New to the list and wondering about electric conversions
This is Steve from Minnesota. I joined this list mainly because I am
wondering about converting small gas powered cars to electric. My car
of choice is Honda Civic mainly since I have both a '91 DX hatch and
'91 CRX so I know how to keep everything running on them. Is this a
good choice and how does one get started?
-

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter
brucedp.150m.com
*Originator of the above ASCII art

Re: New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

Dennis Miles
Eric,
   Our friends who read and write on this from near Arctic climates like
Alaska!  always  insulate the battery boxes well and often set the batteries
on "Battery heaters" (Not available in your area? use soil heating wires in
the box with the batteries and plug it into 120vac when your near an outlet.
The outlets provided to plug in engine oil heaters are handy!)

*Dennis Lee Miles*   (Director)     *E.V.T.I. inc*.
*www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM <http://www.e-v-t-i-inc.com/>    *(Adviser)*
EVTI-EVAEducation Chapter
*
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The "Stone Age" didn't end because they ran out of Stones;
       It ended because they started using their Brains !

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great Questions ... Great Advice.
>
> However, one more very important question:
>  - What will be the prevailing temperatures of your commute?
>
> I had answered all of the other questions perfectly. But I missed this
> one on temperatures and got caught trying to go up a small grade over a
> highway overpass in December when the temperature was 25F and the
> charged batteries just refused to give me sufficient juice to get
> sufficient torque from the motor. I got over the overpass but at a
> dangerously slow speed. Think about insulation and timing your charge to
> just finish before your drive during cold weather.
>
>  ~ Erik
>    KlnAir4U
>    e-Prius: EVAlbum.com/3497

corbin dunn
Hi Steve,
In addition to what everyone else said, I learned a lot from diyelectriccar.com. In fact, most everything I learned about building my EV has been from the internet. I didn't purchase any books or watch any videos.  The forums are useful:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

In particular, this post:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/want-build-ev-do-starti-6441.html

Many people on the internet have done conversions, and a lot of people document what they do. You may be able to find someone else who documented what they did on the CRX. I somewhat documented mine on my blog -- it is a 1969 VW bug.

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/category/electric-bug/

--corbin

On 1/23/2011 10:07 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Great Questions ... Great Advice.
>
> However, one more very important question:
>   - What will be the prevailing temperatures of your commute?

A very good question! I live in Minnesota, same as the original poster.
One of my early EVs (a 1980 ComutaVan) had lead-acid golf cart
batteries. One c-c-cold winter day with temperatures well below zero I
went for a drive. I barely made it home due to the cold batteries. They
weren't out of charge; they just had such high resistance that you
couldn't draw enough current to maintain reasonable speed!

I then insulated the batteries with 1" of styrafoam. That trapped the
waste heat produced by charging and driving, which kept the batteries at
60 deg.F or so, so performance was almost as good as in summer.

Re: New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

I think the most important thing in a EV, is choosing the correct motor size
for a vehicle.  To do this, I contacted George F. Hamstr - [hidden email]
which is on this EVDL that works for NetGain.

When you e-mail him, include all the data of the vehicle you want to convert
such as:

Weight of the vehicle - unmodified.
Weight of the vehicle - engine, exhaust system and cooling.
The gear ratio of each gear in the transmission.
The gear ratio of the differential or transaxle unit.
The tire diameter.
The type of battery pack.
The battery pack voltage.
The ampere-hour rating.
The frontal are of the vehicle.
The average maximum speed you will attain
The average low speed you will attain.
The average battery temperature.

    Note:  Battery temperature can be lower by 20 F. ambient temperature
with out additional heating.  Lets say the battery temperature is 60 F., it
will increase about 10 F. degrees while charging and may increase another 10
F. when driving.

George Hamstr will then e-mail you a spread sheet which will list all the
data for the type of motor will work.  It is best to run the motor rpm at
the sweet spot.  The sweet spot of a DC motor is the highest power output is
at midpoint of the torque speed curve.

On my WarP 11 motor, the sweet spot is at 1850 rpm while on my WarP 9 motor
the sweet spot is at 3300 rpm.

For the Warp 11 motor, I then know that for my EV that:

1st gear = 10 mph = 1850 rpm
2nd gear - 16 mph = 1850 rpm
3rd gear - 27 mph = 1850 rpm

The motor ampere should be about the same at these different speeds.

> > However, one more very important question:
> >   - What will be the prevailing temperatures of your commute?
>
> A very good question! I live in Minnesota, same as the original poster.
> One of my early EVs (a 1980 ComutaVan) had lead-acid golf cart
> batteries. One c-c-cold winter day with temperatures well below zero I
> went for a drive. I barely made it home due to the cold batteries. They
> weren't out of charge; they just had such high resistance that you
> couldn't draw enough current to maintain reasonable speed!
>
> I then insulated the batteries with 1" of styrafoam. That trapped the
> waste heat produced by charging and driving, which kept the batteries at
> 60 deg.F or so, so performance was almost as good as in summer.
>
> --
> Lee A. Hart | Ring the bells that still can ring
> 814 8th Ave N | Forget the perfect offering
> Sartell MN 56377 | There is a crack in everything
> leeahart earthlink.net | That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

Re: New to the list and wondering about electric conversions

nicklogan
Steve,
       Since I live in New England I planned my conversion to have insulated battery boxes as Erik suggests (it was -5F when I got up this morning) and found that I had actually insulated too well. Monitoring the FLA battery temp in one of the boxes with a cheap outdoor digital thermometer with a 10' sensor lead I found that even with the outside temps in the twenties and teens the battery temp would keep climbing during the week. I charge at work and at home in my garage where it stays above freezing temps  so the truck is always charging or running except on weekends and only spends 8 hours a day at work outside.  I could start the week at 55 degrees and end up at 95 degrees after 4-5 days!
        The boxes are insulated on the sides with two 1/2 inch layers of foil coated isocyanurate insulation (Home Depot) and on the top and bottom with 2 inch slabs of polyurethane foam. The boxes are made from 3/8 inch plywood with a neoprene foam seal on the lid. Today is the first day of the winter I didn't see a temperature rise during my commute. I plan to remove the top 2" foam to reduce the buildup and keep an eye on it this summer as well. You may want to insulate less than I did and use battery heater pads as others suggested to make up the difference in cold weather.

Regards,
John Nicholson
www.evalbum.com/2672

erik wrote
[...]

Cor van de Water
Or add a fan to push air into the box
(and vent it out at the opposite side)
you only need a slab of flexible rubber
(like a piece of inner tube cut out)
to seal an opening and 2 screws in the
top corners to keep it in place.
That was used on my BMW to use cabin
air pushed into the trunk and over the
(trunk mounted!) accessory battery and
into the bumper, which was open to outside.
The rubber flap was hidden behind the bumper.
Use a termostat to switch the fan on and off...

Success,

Cor van de Water
Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

erik wrote:

> Great Questions ... Great Advice.
>
> However, one more very important question:
>  - What will be the prevailing temperatures of your commute?
>
> I had answered all of the other questions perfectly. But I missed this

> one on temperatures and got caught trying to go up a small grade over
> a highway overpass in December when the temperature was 25F and the
> charged batteries just refused to give me sufficient juice to get
> sufficient torque from the motor. I got over the overpass but at a
> dangerously slow speed. Think about insulation and timing your charge
> to just finish before your drive during cold weather.
>
>   ~ Erik
>     KlnAir4U
>     e-Prius: EVAlbum.com/3497
>

> -
> New to the list and wondering about electric conversions This is Steve

> from Minnesota. I joined this list mainly because I am wondering about

> converting small gas powered cars to electric. My car of choice is
> Honda Civic mainly since I have both a '91 DX hatch and
> '91 CRX so I know how to keep everything running on them. Is this a
> good choice and how does one get started?
> -
>

> ' ____
> ~/__|o\__
> Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter