New type AC motor

Jack Riggi
This new AC motor sounds really nice & different maybe it could work in a EV.   It is made by Dynamotors, Inc.  It is too complcated for me to understand but sounds very good & new design. here is some information on it. maybe someone on the list can tell me if it would work for EV,s uses. It say's it has a built in controller!    Here is the web site with the information about it. you might have to put the name in a scearch engine to get it to come up, I don't think it will work if you just click on it.                          www.dynamotors.com

Re: New type AC motor

CRadomsky

DynaMotors Inc.• 4945-B Pointe Parkway • Warrensville Heights,  Ohio 44128
voice: 216-292-7278 • e-mail: _sales@dynamotors.com_
(mailto:[hidden email])
____________________________________

Home.

Re: New type AC motor

Jeff Major

--- Jack Riggi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This new AC motor sounds really nice & different
> maybe it could work in a EV.   It is made by
> Dynamotors, Inc.  It is too complcated for me to
> understand but sounds very good & new design. here
> is some information on it. maybe someone on the list
> can tell me if it would work for EV,s uses. It say's
> it has a built in controller!    Here is the web
> site with the information about it. you might have
> to put the name in a scearch engine to get it to
> come up, I don't think it will work if you just
> click on it.
> www.dynamotors.com

Hi Jack,

I have studied the literature on this motor and met
with and corresponded with the inventor, Lambert
Haner.  It is a brushless repulsion motor.  I find it
interesting, but remain unconvinced that it will have
merit for EV propulsion.

Regards,

Jeff M

Wheel motors

Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G
Has anyone tried to retrofit a wheel motor onto the rear of a Geo Metro?
I was thinking that I could make a really easy hybrid with two wheel
motors on the back of my 96 metro.   Anyone have any ideas for a good
running unit?

Jody

Re: Wheel motors

Jeff Major

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone tried to retrofit a wheel motor onto the
> rear of a Geo Metro?

Hi Jody,

I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because
there is no such product as a wheel motor suitable for
a Geo Metro.  You see electric wheel motors for
bicycles and little scooters.  Most less than a kW,
maybe 2.  Some prototype wheel motors for solar cars.
Not much more power and very expensive.  And some hype
about future products from companies like PML.  But
there is nothing available now.

Wish there was.

Jeff M

Re: Wheel motors

Ralph-54
What about PML?

http://www.pmlflightlink.com/archive/news_mini.html

Looks to me like a gGeo would work great!

-Ralph

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff Major <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --- "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried to retrofit a wheel motor onto the
> > rear of a Geo Metro?
>
> Hi Jody,
>
> I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because
> there is no such product as a wheel motor suitable for
> a Geo Metro.  You see electric wheel motors for
> bicycles and little scooters.  Most less than a kW,
> maybe 2.  Some prototype wheel motors for solar cars.
> Not much more power and very expensive.  And some hype
> about future products from companies like PML.  But
> there is nothing available now.
>
> Wish there was.
>
> Jeff M

Re: Wheel motors

Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G
I remember reading about something from a company making wheel motors
for the BMW mini.  I can't find it again though.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone tried to retrofit a wheel motor onto the rear of a Geo
> Metro?

Hi Jody,

I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because there is no such
product as a wheel motor suitable for a Geo Metro.  You see electric
wheel motors for bicycles and little scooters.  Most less than a kW,
maybe 2.  Some prototype wheel motors for solar cars.
Not much more power and very expensive.  And some hype about future
products from companies like PML.  But there is nothing available now.

Wish there was.

Jeff M

Re: Wheel motors

Steven **
That's not entirely true.  There are several Chinese companies selling
larger hub motors.  The first one I found:
http://successmotor.en.alibaba.com/product/200091815/202692541/Electric_Car_Hub_Motor/Electric_Car_Hub_Motor.html

They offer up to 5 kW hub motors.  I'd think two of those would move a
Geo Metro alright.  I have a buddy looking into hub motors for a bike.
 He tells me he's seen several companies selling hub motors.  He found
some expensive ones that were 25 kW, but more reasonably priced ones
around 10 kW.  If he finds the link, I'll mail it to you.

To qualify this, I myself haven't physically seen these motors.  But I
do believe they exist.  You may have to deal with a Chinese company if
you're looking for a cheap price though...

-Steven

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Jeff Major <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because
>  there is no such product as a wheel motor suitable for
>  a Geo Metro.  You see electric wheel motors for
>  bicycles and little scooters.  Most less than a kW,
>  maybe 2.

Re: Wheel motors

Steven **
Here's one of the 10kW ones:
http://shiwei.en.alibaba.com/product/200036382/200820249/Accessories/Electric_Car_Hub_Motor.html

-Steven

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Steven **
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's not entirely true.  There are several Chinese companies selling
>  larger hub motors.  The first one I found:
>  http://successmotor.en.alibaba.com/product/200091815/202692541/Electric_Car_Hub_Motor/Electric_Car_Hub_Motor.html
>
>  They offer up to 5 kW hub motors.  I'd think two of those would move a
>  Geo Metro alright.  I have a buddy looking into hub motors for a bike.
>   He tells me he's seen several companies selling hub motors.  He found
>  some expensive ones that were 25 kW, but more reasonably priced ones
>  around 10 kW.  If he finds the link, I'll mail it to you.
>
>  To qualify this, I myself haven't physically seen these motors.  But I
>  do believe they exist.  You may have to deal with a Chinese company if
>  you're looking for a cheap price though...
>
>  -Steven
>

>  On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Jeff Major <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >
>  >  I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because
>  >  there is no such product as a wheel motor suitable for
>  >  a Geo Metro.  You see electric wheel motors for
>  >  bicycles and little scooters.  Most less than a kW,
>  >  maybe 2.

Re: Wheel motors

Steven **
I have PML bookmarked, but I don't think you can actually buy their
motors.  Can you?  They're doing cool stuff.  But I think they're
trying to sell it to Big Auto, not people like you and me.

-Steven

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Ralph <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about PML?
>
>  http://www.pmlflightlink.com/archive/news_mini.html
>
>  Looks to me like a gGeo would work great!
>
>  -Ralph
>
>  On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Jeff Major <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  >
>

> > --- "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G"
>  > <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >
>  > > Has anyone tried to retrofit a wheel motor onto the
>  > > rear of a Geo Metro?
>  >
>  > Hi Jody,
>  >
>  > I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because
>  > there is no such product as a wheel motor suitable for
>  > a Geo Metro.  You see electric wheel motors for
>  > bicycles and little scooters.  Most less than a kW,
>  > maybe 2.  Some prototype wheel motors for solar cars.
>  > Not much more power and very expensive.  And some hype
>  > about future products from companies like PML.  But
>  > there is nothing available now.
>  >
>  > Wish there was.
>  >
>  > Jeff M
>  >
>  >
>  >       ____________________________________________________________________________________
>  > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
>  > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.  http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
>  >
>  > For subscription options, see
>  > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

Re: Wheel motors

Ralph-54
Right. That was PML.

-Ralph

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:01:53 -0400
"Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I remember reading about something from a company making wheel motors
> for the BMW mini.  I can't find it again though.

Re: Wheel motors

Ben-149
PML - Been mentioned a few times now in this thread. They haven't ever
brought a product to market, according to reports from some other EVDL
members.

Ben

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT,
N422G5G <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I remember reading about something from a company making wheel motors
> for the BMW mini.  I can't find it again though.

Re: Wheel motors

Chet Fields

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I remember reading about something from a company making wheel
> motors
> for the BMW mini.  I can't find it again though.

Re: Wheel motors

jerryd

           Hi Jeff and All,

                Making a successful wheel motor isn't hard,
you just need to gear it to lower it's weight, increase
starting torque. Many early EV's were wheel motors,
especially early trucks. Some versions were planetary, rim
drive with 1 or 2 motors, ect. I think Dr Porsche's
excellent early EV was too.
               But direct drive wheel motors are only good
economicly, unsprung weight wise in bikes, ect where you
push off with your foot. This is because without rpm, you
have a hard time starting up a hill unless you have
200hp/1000lbs EV or so which get both expensive and weighs
too much to be unsprung. But give it a 3-1 or higher gear
and you need a much less powerful, heavy motor, even less if
it's a series motor as most were.
                For instance on my Ewoody my 35yr old
Citi-car 3.5 hp, 36vdc series motor had a bad brush holder
so to keep EVing, I put in my 9hp Etek, both rated at about
the same rpm and used the same gearing. Yet starting up the
library drive the Etek PM motor burnt up and once the GE
series motor was repaired with new brushes, holder it easily
did the same job at 1/3 the rated hp. So basicly any non
series field motor will only put out 1/3 the starting torque
a series version will including most PM, A/C motors. Some
Sep-ex, A/C or DC will somewhat but they are series really
magnetically, just with a separate controller for the field
for reverse, regen.

                                   Jerry Dycus

>--- "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G"
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried to retrofit a wheel motor onto the
>> rear of a Geo Metro?
>
>Hi Jody,
>
>I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because
>there is no such product as a wheel motor suitable for
>a Geo Metro.  You see electric wheel motors for
>bicycles and little scooters.  Most less than a kW,
>maybe 2.  Some prototype wheel motors for solar cars.
>Not much more power and very expensive.  And some hype
>about future products from companies like PML.  But
>there is nothing available now.
>
>Wish there was.
>
>Jeff M

Re: Wheel motors

There was a new electric brake design by the Sideman's Company that
replaces, the all the hydraulic lines, booster, and vacuum system.

Is to be in production for some 2010 ICE and EV's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPSoNfmoBXc

> That's not entirely true.  There are several Chinese companies selling
> larger hub motors.  The first one I found:
> http://successmotor.en.alibaba.com/product/200091815/202692541/Electric_Car_Hub_Motor/Electric_Car_Hub_Motor.html
>
> They offer up to 5 kW hub motors.  I'd think two of those would move a
> Geo Metro alright.  I have a buddy looking into hub motors for a bike.
>  He tells me he's seen several companies selling hub motors.  He found
> some expensive ones that were 25 kW, but more reasonably priced ones
> around 10 kW.  If he finds the link, I'll mail it to you.
>
> To qualify this, I myself haven't physically seen these motors.  But I
> do believe they exist.  You may have to deal with a Chinese company if
> you're looking for a cheap price though...
>
> -Steven
>
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Jeff Major <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >  I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because
> >  there is no such product as a wheel motor suitable for
> >  a Geo Metro.  You see electric wheel motors for
> >  bicycles and little scooters.  Most less than a kW,
> >  maybe 2.

Re: Wheel motors

Ted Sanders
Was it the mini cooper??
Beano -- 1981 Ford Escort EV
EValbum 1010Ted Sanders

> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:04:46 -0700> From: [hidden email]> To: [hidden email]> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Wheel motors> > http://www.pmlflightlink.com/archive/news_mini.html> > --- "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G"> <[hidden email]> wrote:> > > I remember reading about something from a company making wheel> > motors> > for the BMW mini. I can't find it again though. > > > > -----Original Message-----> > From: [hidden email]> > [mailto:[hidden email]] On> > Behalf Of Jeff Major> > Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 11:01> > To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List> > Subject: Re: [EVDL] Wheel motors> > > > > > --- "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G"> > <[hidden email]> wrote:> > > > > Has anyone tried to retrofit a wheel motor onto the rear of a> > Geo > > > Metro?> > > > Hi Jody,> > > > I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because there is no> > such> > product as a wheel motor suitable for a Geo Metro. You see> > electric> > !
 wheel motors for bicycles and little scooters. Most less than a> > kW,> > maybe 2. Some prototype wheel motors for solar cars. > > Not much more power and very expensive. And some hype about> > future> > products from companies like PML. But there is nothing available> > now.> > > > Wish there was.> > > > Jeff M> > > > > > > >> ________________________________________________________________________> > ____________> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.> >> http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping> > > > _______________________________________________> > For subscription options, see> > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev> > > > _______________________________________________> > For subscription options, see> > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev> > > > _______________________________________________> For subscription options, see> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

Re: Wheel motors

Jeff Major

Hi Ralph,

I did mention PML.  Looks like vaporware to me.  Try
to buy one.  I did a while back see a price quote for
the PML wheel motor.  About $35,000 each, IIRC.  I
kind of think they want your money for a product they
will never deliver.  Just my opinion.

Regards,

Jeff M

--- Ralph <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What about PML?
>
> http://www.pmlflightlink.com/archive/news_mini.html
>
> Looks to me like a gGeo would work great!
>
> -Ralph
>
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
> Jeff Major <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > --- "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G"
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone tried to retrofit a wheel motor onto
> the
> > > rear of a Geo Metro?
> >
> > Hi Jody,
> >
> > I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because
> > there is no such product as a wheel motor suitable
> for
> > a Geo Metro.  You see electric wheel motors for
> > bicycles and little scooters.  Most less than a
> kW,
> > maybe 2.  Some prototype wheel motors for solar
> cars.
> > Not much more power and very expensive.  And some
> hype
> > about future products from companies like PML.
> But
> > there is nothing available now.
> >
> > Wish there was.
> >
> > Jeff M

Re: Wheel motors

David Beard
That doesn't bode well...

A couple of years ago they quoted me a price on their EWM30/60 of $2200 usd and 700 for the controllers....

now granted this isn't their "new" system....but it would work.

David

Re: Wheel motors

Jeff Major

Hi Steven,

Prove me wrong, please.  Simply referring to ads for
products which may or may not exist, or may not do the
job if they are actually obtainable, or that may be
price prohibitive does not make my statement untrue.
I did say "product", which meant one that could be
purchased today for a reasonable price and do the job.
 I don't think that is incorrect.

I'd love to see Jody, or you, or anyone else get a
couple of those Chinese wheel motors and give it a go.
 So thanks for posting the link.

Regards,

Jeff M

--- Steven ** <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's not entirely true.
<snip>

> -Steven
>
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Jeff Major
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >  I'd be surprised if anyone has tried this because
> >  there is no such product as a wheel motor
> >  suitable for
> >  a Geo Metro.  You see electric wheel motors for
> >  bicycles and little scooters.  Most less than a
> >  kW, maybe 2.

Re: Wheel motors

Steven **
"Product" doesn't mean reasonable price  ;-)  But like I said, I
believe they are available.  I can't attest to the quality or
performance though.  I was simply passing along information so that
you or anyone else that had the money and interest/sense of adventure
could look into it.

I like to start small and simple.  So, my conversion will be the
typical, cheap, proven conversion 100's of other people have already
done.  Maybe after I prove to myself I can do that, I'll consider a
conversion with hub motors...

-Steven