NiMH installation

storm connors
I am sure this will not be a hot topic for most, but I managed to get
13 12v NiMH for a 156v 100AH pack. Lithium just has too many unknowns
yet. Anyway, I documented what I am doing on my blog at
http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/ . I am developing a list of
questions there that some knowledgeable folks might be able to answer.

Anybody know if the Iota 55 will handle a 156v pack? I would assume
that it shouldn't be connected while charging.

--
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059
http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/

Re: NiMH installation

Evan Tuer
On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:45 PM, storm connors <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am sure this will not be a hot topic for most, but I managed to get
> 13 12v NiMH for a 156v 100AH pack. Lithium just has too many unknowns
> yet.

That's interesting alright!  How much did they cost?
I'd say there's more unknowns with NiMH than lithium at the moment,
for the hobbyist at least.

Re: NiMH installation

Matt Lacey
Hi Storm,

What are you planning on doing regarding temperature control?
My ni-mh pack self discharges like you wouldn't believe when its temperature
heads above 30 deg c.

Matt

Re: NiMH installation

Rush Dougherty
Storm wrote

>I am sure this will not be a hot topic for most, but I managed to get
> 13 12v NiMH for a 156v 100AH pack. Lithium just has too many unknowns
> yet. Anyway, I documented what I am doing on my blog at
> http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/ . I am developing a list of
> questions there that some knowledgeable folks might be able to answer.
>
> Anybody know if the Iota 55 will handle a 156v pack? I would assume
> that it shouldn't be connected while charging.

Good for you for choosing NIMH.

Interestingly enough we, www.TEVA2.com, just had our monthly meeting and one
of IOTA's Tech Engineers came and talked to us about their converters and
battery chargers (IOTA Engineering is headquarted here in Tucson and they
also do assembly and testing/burnins here).

We were told that the DLS-75 and DLS-90 had a better inrush current circuit,
better and higher value caps. So for a 156v pack, it seems that the 75 or 90
would be a better choice.

The DLS line can be left in the circuit while charging, it just depends on
your BMS system.

They also have a sensor circuit so that when it senses the battery and
dependant loads want more amps it supplies it.

There is also a dual voltage plug, 13.5 with the plug out and 14.2 with the
plug in. Don the Tech, said that it could be made switchable to increase the
voltage if for some reason the battery has gone low. If the charger is
switched off with the key circuit and the car sits for a long time or
someone leaves the dome light on, etc.

The cooling fan has its own seperated ambiant sensor so it can even turn on
when the charger is not charging, 120 deg if I remember correctly.

HTH,

Rush
www.TEVA2.com

Re: NiMH installation

shred
Hi Storm,
I've been running 24 volt 93 ah Saft water cooled NiMH for 2 years now and they have been great. Very soft though, 20% voltage sag at 1c. I lost 1 cell in the time I’ve been running them. I’m using 5 of them for a 120 volt pack. My average current draw is about 1.5 c. I’ve got about 10k miles on them so far.
I looked at you blog and it looks like the same batteries. I bought mine from Peter.
I made the cooling manifolds from PVC very easy to do and have held up well.
Good luck,
Neal

Re: NiMH installation

shred
Also I installed this thermostat control board and hooked it up to the stock thurmister in the saft batteries. It has worked flawlessly for years and for only $17.00 hard to beat.
I run both the circulator pump and cooling fan off of its relay.
Neal

Re: NiMH installation

storm connors
Thanks. Did you mean to include a link to the thermostat? Are you just
using one thermistor for the whole pack? What are you using for a pump
and heat exchanger? Do the batteries heat much on discharge?
storm

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM, shred <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also I installed this thermostat control board and hooked it up to the stock
> thurmister in the saft batteries. It has worked flawlessly for years and for
> only $17.00 hard to beat.
> I run both the circulator pump and cooling fan off of its relay.
> Neal

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059
http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/
Storm

Re: NiMH installation

shred
Here is the link, I guess I forgot it.
http://www.apogeekits.com/thermostat_vm137.htm

No I had to bypass the bad cell.
I'm using one thermistor for the whole pack and it's in the middle of the pack.
My pack is bunched together as a cube.
Yes they heat up on discharge, especially at over 1c rate.
My pump is a small 12vdc pump that is form a heater kit for an EV.
The radiator is from Ryan at the EV Source.
Their web site seems to be down right now.
The radiator is for a CPU or computer I think.
Their are 3 sizes I'm using the double unit (middle size).
It has the mounting screw holes for a fan.
I'm using 1 fan.
I'll include some pictures. In an email to you.
Neal

Re: NiMH installation

Evan Tuer
On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 10:49 PM, shred <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is the link, I guess I forgot it.

> The radiator is for a CPU or computer I think.

You know, the Saft NiCad modules have similar temperature limits (and
by the sounds of it, similar heat output).  The radiator used on
vehicles with those cells is a full size one across the front grille
(like an AC radiator), with a large fan set to come on at 25 degrees.

During charging, and especially equalisation, the fan will be on
continuously if the weather is warm.  So, I'd keep a close eye on the
temperature as that doesn't sound like it would be enough cooling.

Re: NiMH installation

Ryan Bohm
My pump is a small 12vdc pump that is form a heater kit for an EV.
> The radiator is from Ryan at the EV Source.
> Their web site seems to be down right now.

Yeah, pretty uncharacteristic failure at my web host (WestHost - one of the
more reliable web hosts - http://netstatus.westhost.com/).   Quite a lot of
unhappy businesses right now!

I hope they get it back up soon!  Sorry to all those that are trying to get
there.

-Ryan
--
- EV Source <http://www.evsource.com> -
Professional grade electric vehicle parts and resources