Nickel Iron batteries

Werner Peters
Okay, I am back with more questions.

I found a supplier for the Potassium Hydroxide solution that I need to
recharge these unused but old batteries.
Now we have discovered another problem.

These batteries are sealed. The old solution in the batteries has
crystallized.

We cannot properly clean the batteries or even put new solution in them
without drilling holes in them. Once we do that, of course, we need to find
a way of capping the holes..

What does one do?
(I didn't work on this, but we took it to an electrical guy to work on, and
this is what he told me)

Werner

Solar powered car.

Mark Grasser
And you guys said it couldn't be done. Of course it's a little longer than
your basic commuter.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2008/07/13/frampton.ca.solar.taxi.cab.
kxtv

Mark Grasser
Eliot, ME

Re: Solar powered car.

Peter VanDerWal
> And you guys said it couldn't be done. Of course it's a little longer than
> your basic commuter.
>

> http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2008/07/13/frampton.ca.solar.taxi.cab.
> kxtv

I don't recall anyone saying it couldn't be done.

Only that it isn't practical.  Try asking him how much that puppy would
cost if he didn't have sponsors donating the materials.

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Zeke Yewdall
Can you post pics somewhere?   I've never seen any that were sealed, unless
they are not flooded Nickle Iron batteries, but something else.  Doesn't
mean they don't exist though...

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Werner Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, I am back with more questions.
>
> I found a supplier for the Potassium Hydroxide solution that I need to
> recharge these unused but old batteries.
> Now we have discovered another problem.
>
> These batteries are sealed. The old solution in the batteries has
> crystallized.
>
> We cannot properly clean the batteries or even put new solution in them
> without drilling holes in them. Once we do that, of course, we need to find
> a way of capping the holes..
>
> What does one do?
> (I didn't work on this, but we took it to an electrical guy to work on, and
> this is what he told me)
>
> Werner

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Werner Peters
No pics at present. I will have at the end of the day though.

I called Eagle Picher, the maker of these batteries, and they would
not?could not connect me with anyone who could advise me on these batteries.
They said, "There is no one in the company that still knows anything about
those batteries."

Course, this was a receptionist.. grrr.

Werner

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you post pics somewhere?   I've never seen any that were sealed, unless
> they are not flooded Nickle Iron batteries, but something else.  Doesn't
> mean they don't exist though...

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Werner Peters <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Okay, I am back with more questions.
> >
> > I found a supplier for the Potassium Hydroxide solution that I need to
> > recharge these unused but old batteries.
> > Now we have discovered another problem.
> >
> > These batteries are sealed. The old solution in the batteries has
> > crystallized.
> >
> > We cannot properly clean the batteries or even put new solution in them
> > without drilling holes in them. Once we do that, of course, we need to
> find
> > a way of capping the holes..
> >
> > What does one do?
> > (I didn't work on this, but we took it to an electrical guy to work on,
> and
> > this is what he told me)
> >
> > Werner

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Jeff Major

--- On Mon, 7/14/08, Werner Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found a supplier for the Potassium Hydroxide solution
> that I need to
> recharge these unused but old batteries.
> Now we have discovered another problem.
>
> These batteries are sealed. The old solution in the
> batteries has
> crystallized.

Hey Werner,

Those are Eagle Picher batteries, aren't they?  There is a hydration port on each end, middle top.  You pump the fluid thru the top and each cell is filled.  I think Steve had some cut-away pictures of the system.  Anyway, confirm they are EP.

Regards,

Jeff M

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Peter VanDerWal

> --- On Mon, 7/14/08, Werner Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I found a supplier for the Potassium Hydroxide solution
>> that I need to
>> recharge these unused but old batteries.
>> Now we have discovered another problem.
>>
>> These batteries are sealed. The old solution in the
>> batteries has
>> crystallized.
>>

> Hey Werner,
>
> Those are Eagle Picher batteries, aren't they?  There is a hydration port
> on each end, middle top.  You pump the fluid thru the top and each cell is
> filled.  I think Steve had some cut-away pictures of the system.  Anyway,
> confirm they are EP.

I don't think the problem is getting the new stuff in, it's getting the
old stuff out.
As I recall, those hydration ports are designed to keep the fluid inside.

Re: Solar powered car.

Evan Tuer
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Peter VanDerWal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2008/07/13/frampton.ca.solar.taxi.cab.
>> kxtv
>>

> I don't recall anyone saying it couldn't be done.
>
> Only that it isn't practical.  Try asking him how much that puppy would
> cost if he didn't have sponsors donating the materials.

It's not impractical.  The car seems very minimalist, the battery is
affordable (similar to NiCad in price) and that amount of solar panels
is worth, at a guess, about $3000.

Of course as a one-off project it will have cost a hell of a lot to
develop and build, but as far as I can see there is nothing on it
that's either unobtainium or incredibly expensive.
 To replicate, I expect it would actually be cheaper to build than a
normal conversion if you were starting with a new glider and Li-Ion
batteries.

Re: Solar powered car.

Roger Heuckeroth
If you guys want to see something really incredible check out:

http://www.sionpower.com/pdf/news/SION%20Power-%20QinetiQ%20New%20Release%20Final%20Version.pdf

Its a solar powered glider that can stay aloft potentially an
unlimited time running on solar during the day, and batteries at
night.  The battery technology is Lithium - Sulfur which has an energy
density several times higher than todays best lithium batteries.
Fitting these batteries into a Rav 4 EV would give it a 226 mile range
with in the same volume taken up by the Nimh battery pack, but
weighing less than half of the original pack.  That's almost 3 times
the range with less than half the weight.

See http://www.sionpower.com/applications/electric.html

Let's all hope that the wrong hands don't get a hold of this
technology (like big oil).  The technology is out there folks...

On Jul 14, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Evan Tuer wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Peter VanDerWal <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>>> http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2008/07/13/
>>> frampton.ca.solar.taxi.cab.
>>> kxtv
>>>

>> I don't recall anyone saying it couldn't be done.
>>
>> Only that it isn't practical.  Try asking him how much that puppy
>> would
>> cost if he didn't have sponsors donating the materials.
>
> It's not impractical.  The car seems very minimalist, the battery is
> affordable (similar to NiCad in price) and that amount of solar panels
> is worth, at a guess, about $3000.
>
> Of course as a one-off project it will have cost a hell of a lot to
> develop and build, but as far as I can see there is nothing on it
> that's either unobtainium or incredibly expensive.
> To replicate, I expect it would actually be cheaper to build than a
> normal conversion if you were starting with a new glider and Li-Ion
> batteries.

Re: Solar powered car.

Robin Lawrie
Hmm...sionpower.  I remember getting excited about those batteries about
4 years ago.. another eestor... never released a product..always just
round the corner. apparently they couldn't get them to go past 2-300
cycles without crapping out..  I wonder if they cracked that yet?

If you guys want to see something really incredible check out:

http://www.sionpower.com/pdf/news/SION%20Power-%20QinetiQ%20New%20Releas
e%20Final%20Version.pdf

Its a solar powered glider that can stay aloft potentially an
unlimited time running on solar during the day, and batteries at
night.  The battery technology is Lithium - Sulfur which has an energy
density several times higher than todays best lithium batteries.
Fitting these batteries into a Rav 4 EV would give it a 226 mile range
with in the same volume taken up by the Nimh battery pack, but
weighing less than half of the original pack.  That's almost 3 times
the range with less than half the weight.

See http://www.sionpower.com/applications/electric.html

Let's all hope that the wrong hands don't get a hold of this
technology (like big oil).  The technology is out there folks...

On Jul 14, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Evan Tuer wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Peter VanDerWal <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>>> http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2008/07/13/
>>> frampton.ca.solar.taxi.cab.
>>> kxtv
>>>

>> I don't recall anyone saying it couldn't be done.
>>
>> Only that it isn't practical.  Try asking him how much that puppy
>> would
>> cost if he didn't have sponsors donating the materials.
>
> It's not impractical.  The car seems very minimalist, the battery is
> affordable (similar to NiCad in price) and that amount of solar panels
> is worth, at a guess, about $3000.
>
> Of course as a one-off project it will have cost a hell of a lot to
> develop and build, but as far as I can see there is nothing on it
> that's either unobtainium or incredibly expensive.
> To replicate, I expect it would actually be cheaper to build than a
> normal conversion if you were starting with a new glider and Li-Ion
> batteries.

Re: Solar powered car.

Roger Heuckeroth
I think the issue with companies like this is that they are R&D based,
and not geared to jump right into production.  I worked for a company
like that many years ago.  The scientists never felt the product was
fully ready for production.  If Sion ever actually produces a product
it will be way overpriced because of all the fat overhead.  The best
thing they could do is license it to a real manufacturer(s).

Bottom line is Lithium and Sulfur are both relatively inexpensive.
With a little bit of refinement, and maybe some nano-tech thrown in
there it could be a viable product.  The only thing that worries me is
that they have heavily patented the technology and that makes it easy
for the technology to be bought up just like Chevron / Texaco did with
Nimh.

Have you seen the PR commercials where Exxon Mobil is working on
Lithium Ion Technology.  Of course they are.  They want to establish
control.  I cringe whenever I see that commercial!

On Jul 14, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Robin Lawrie wrote:

> Hmm...sionpower.  I remember getting excited about those batteries
> about
> 4 years ago.. another eestor... never released a product..always just
> round the corner. apparently they couldn't get them to go past 2-300
> cycles without crapping out..  I wonder if they cracked that yet?

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Werner Peters
I have all 28 batteries in my possession now (whew!).

The batteries aree solid white halfwa up the walls of the batteries. I will
post a couple pictures.

yI hope distilled water will dissolve this stuff.. I imagine this is simple
solid crystallized potassium hydroxide and the water simply evaporated. If I
cannot get this stuff out, I am euchred.

Werner

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Peter VanDerWal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > --- On Mon, 7/14/08, Werner Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I found a supplier for the Potassium Hydroxide solution
> >> that I need to
> >> recharge these unused but old batteries.
> >> Now we have discovered another problem.
> >>
> >> These batteries are sealed. The old solution in the
> >> batteries has
> >> crystallized.
> >>

> > Hey Werner,
> >
> > Those are Eagle Picher batteries, aren't they?  There is a hydration port
> > on each end, middle top.  You pump the fluid thru the top and each cell
> is
> > filled.  I think Steve had some cut-away pictures of the system.  Anyway,
> > confirm they are EP.
>
> I don't think the problem is getting the new stuff in, it's getting the
> old stuff out.
> As I recall, those hydration ports are designed to keep the fluid inside.

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Werner Peters
Pictures of batteries in question are posted

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68666529@N00/

Werner

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Werner Peters <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have all 28 batteries in my possession now (whew!).
>
> The batteries aree solid white halfwa up the walls of the batteries. I will
> post a couple pictures.
>
> yI hope distilled water will dissolve this stuff.. I imagine this is simple
> solid crystallized potassium hydroxide and the water simply evaporated. If I
> cannot get this stuff out, I am euchred.
>
> Werner
>

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Peter VanDerWal <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > Hey Werner,
>> >
>> > Those are Eagle Picher batteries, aren't they?  There is a hydration
>> port
>> > on each end, middle top.  You pump the fluid thru the top and each cell
>> is
>> > filled.  I think Steve had some cut-away pictures of the system.
>>  Anyway,
>> > confirm they are EP.
>>
>> I don't think the problem is getting the new stuff in, it's getting the
>> old stuff out.
>> As I recall, those hydration ports are designed to keep the fluid inside.

> www.westmountparkchurch.org
> www.thesummitchurch.ca

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Roger Heuckeroth
Just a bit of warning... adding water to any solid hydroxide produces
a strong exothermic reaction!  Just be careful.

On Jul 14, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Werner Peters wrote:

> I have all 28 batteries in my possession now (whew!).
>
> The batteries aree solid white halfwa up the walls of the batteries.
> I will
> post a couple pictures.
>
> yI hope distilled water will dissolve this stuff.. I imagine this is
> simple
> solid crystallized potassium hydroxide and the water simply
> evaporated. If I
> cannot get this stuff out, I am euchred.
>
> Werner
>

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Peter VanDerWal <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>>> Hey Werner,
>>>
>>> Those are Eagle Picher batteries, aren't they?  There is a
>>> hydration port
>>> on each end, middle top.  You pump the fluid thru the top and each
>>> cell
>> is
>>> filled.  I think Steve had some cut-away pictures of the system.
>>> Anyway,
>>> confirm they are EP.
>>
>> I don't think the problem is getting the new stuff in, it's getting
>> the
>> old stuff out.
>> As I recall, those hydration ports are designed to keep the fluid
>> inside.

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

rodhower
Those appear to be the batteries used in a Dodge
TEVan.
I had NiCd's in my van, but developed the charge
algorithm for both NiFe and NiCd while working at GE
and driving both types of battery technology.
Do you also have the Dodge TEVan?
Rod
TEVan and other EV's
http://picasaweb.google.com/rodnhower/ElectricVehicle

--- Werner Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pictures of batteries in question are posted
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/68666529@N00/
>
> Werner
>
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Werner Peters
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I have all 28 batteries in my possession now
> (whew!).
> >
> > The batteries aree solid white halfwa up the walls
> of the batteries. I will
> > post a couple pictures.
> >
> > yI hope distilled water will dissolve this stuff..
> I imagine this is simple
> > solid crystallized potassium hydroxide and the
> water simply evaporated. If I
> > cannot get this stuff out, I am euchred.
> >
> > Werner
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Peter VanDerWal
> <[hidden email]>

> solution

> in the

> There is a hydration
> >> port
> thru the top and each cell
> >> is
> pictures of the system.
> >>  Anyway,
> >>
> >> I don't think the problem is getting the new
> stuff in, it's getting the
> >> old stuff out.
> >> As I recall, those hydration ports are designed
> to keep the fluid inside.

> > --
> > www.westmountparkchurch.org
> > www.thesummitchurch.ca

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Werner Peters
Okay, I now have 29 Eagle-Picher FeNi (or NiFe) 6 volt batteries sitting on
a  pallet in my garage. It looks like every one of them is solid crystal
inside. See the link to pictures that I posted in an earlier post.

It didn't take much distilled water to fill them to overflowing through the
hydration ports. So they are not sealed batteries in that sense. No obvious
exothermic reaction.. no heat, no smoke..

It was suggested to me that I fill them with distilled water and put the
charger to them to break up the crystallization. I will have to wait till I
can get my hands on the charger..

Werner

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Zeke Yewdall
Hmmmm.  If that is dried KOH in there, it should have reacted rather
violently to having water put in it.  Very strange....

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Werner Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, I now have 29 Eagle-Picher FeNi (or NiFe) 6 volt batteries sitting on
> a  pallet in my garage. It looks like every one of them is solid crystal
> inside. See the link to pictures that I posted in an earlier post.
>
> It didn't take much distilled water to fill them to overflowing through the
> hydration ports. So they are not sealed batteries in that sense. No obvious
> exothermic reaction.. no heat, no smoke..
>
> It was suggested to me that I fill them with distilled water and put the
> charger to them to break up the crystallization. I will have to wait till I
> can get my hands on the charger..
>
> Werner

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Werner Peters
Yeah.. I took some of the dry crusty stuff that was hanging out of one of
the ports and dropped it in water, It partially dissolved and made the water
murky, but it happened very slowly.. no violent reaction whatsoever.

Werner

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmmm.  If that is dried KOH in there, it should have reacted rather
> violently to having water put in it.  Very strange....
>
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Werner Peters <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Okay, I now have 29 Eagle-Picher FeNi (or NiFe) 6 volt batteries sitting
>> on
>> a  pallet in my garage. It looks like every one of them is solid crystal
>> inside. See the link to pictures that I posted in an earlier post.
>>
>> It didn't take much distilled water to fill them to overflowing through
>> the
>> hydration ports. So they are not sealed batteries in that sense. No
>> obvious
>> exothermic reaction.. no heat, no smoke..
>>
>> It was suggested to me that I fill them with distilled water and put the
>> charger to them to break up the crystallization. I will have to wait till
>> can get my hands on the charger..
>>
>> Werner

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

EVDL Administrator
My guess is that it's potassium carbonate, formed when the electrolyte
attracts CO2 from the air.  Probably the venting system was left open to the
atmosphere.  Try washing it out with distilled water.  You may have to soak
it for a while.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Neon John
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:41:53 -0600, "Zeke Yewdall" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hmmmm.  If that is dried KOH in there, it should have reacted rather
>violently to having water put in it.  Very strange....

It's probably not KOH anymore, but instead potassium carbonate, formed by
absorbing carbon dioxide out of the air.  That's the usual fate of a KOH
solution that has any access to air.  Even if it is still KOH, there won't be
much surface area exposed so any heat liberation would be small.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com