Nissan Leaf Motor

Hey EVDL,

I’m trying to use a Nissan Leaf motor in a conversion and have been told the Leaf motor output shaft uses an ‘involuted spline’ and it’s to a specific standard.

Does anyone happen to know the involuted spline standard that Nissan uses for the output shaft?

Many thanks,
Matthew

involute spline: Nissan Leaf Motor

[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Nissan-Leaf-Motor-td4693533.html
]

I found several links to explore with a search
https://www.google.com/search?q=involute+spline+nissan+leaf
 on  involute spline nissan leaf  with some links on the leaf forum

Re: Nissan Leaf Motor

An involute is a type of curve and is one of the forms used for gear teeth.

Involute splines tend to use a larger pressure angle than gears, 30
degrees rather than 20.

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Keyways/Splines_Inv.html

On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 14:36, Matthew Quitter via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey EVDL,
>
> I’m trying to use a Nissan Leaf motor in a conversion and have been told the Leaf motor output shaft uses an ‘involuted spline’ and it’s to a specific standard.
>
> Does anyone happen to know the involuted spline standard that Nissan uses for the output shaft?
>
> Many thanks,
> Matthew

Paul Compton
www.morini-mania.co.uk
www.paulcompton.co.uk (YouTube channel)

Re: involute spline: Nissan Leaf Motor

Thanks Bruce and Paul for your replies.

I'm familiar with the Google search results.

We're trying to find the specific engineering standard used by Nissan to
make the involute spline e.g. JIS 2001D.

Up till now everyone seems content with cutting out clutch centers from
Fiat or Suzuki and welding them into a coupler as a "good enough" fit.

We'll be sending the output shaft to an engineering firm that can find out
what the standard is.

From there we can get accurate couplers made.

On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 07:26, brucedp5 via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [ref
>
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Nissan-Leaf-Motor-td4693533.html
> ]
>
> I found several links to explore with a search
> https://www.google.com/search?q=involute+spline+nissan+leaf
>  on  involute spline nissan leaf  with some links on the leaf forum
>

> For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
>  http://evdl.org/archive/
>

> {brucedp.neocities.org}

Re: involute spline: Nissan Leaf Motor

I bought the MES-DEA drive system years ago that had an inverse spline.  I
was able to get the spline info off the dwg and bought the tooling to make
shafts.  I had it done in Portland at Dutchman Motorsports
https://dutchmanaxles.com/index.php?fbclid=IwAR3d_snwdJXmsxJ70LdvDiI9uyA6jZnIFxGMb4xfhRQyFPoNszguKxIQExI

Probably not the same spline but if it is they still have the tooling.