No Tesla-3 charging @L3-175kW from HyperEVSE

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/23/175-kw-hypercharger-doesnt-charge-tesla-model-3-at-all/
175 kW Hypercharger Doesn’t Charge Tesla Model 3 … At All (Video)
February 23rd, 2019  Kyle Field

[video
https://youtu.be/BmfR-18hltI
Bjørn Nyland
Model 3 fails charging at 175 kW Hypercharger
]

Bjorn Nyland loves running around in a variety of electric vehicles to
explore what is possible and, well, what is not possible. Just a few short
days after the first Model 3s were delivered to customers in Norway, he
encountered a Model 3 owner attempting to use a 175 kW hypercharger and
found that no charge could be delivered.

He documented the process in typical Bjorn style, with a quick video that
shows the hypercharge station where he and the owner gave the process
several attempts. The blue LED on the Model 3 charging port seems to
indicate that the car recognized that a charger was plugged in, but could
not successfully initiate a charging session at any speed.

The charging protocol communication typically works like this: The car sees
the charging station asking what speed/power the car is capable of charging
at, and after the initial “handshake,” it proceeds to dole out the charge at
the negotiated speed. From the video, it is not clear which party in the
transaction didn’t want to make a deal, but the charge does not start.

The issue is likely just a minor software issue that can be resolved with a
firmware update. The Tesla Model 3 and these new 175 kW hyperchargers are
both new entrants to the market. The Tesla Model 3 brings the most advanced
electric vehicle technology to the party and the 175 kW hypercharger is a
rare bird, in any market. EV fast chargers typically offer around 50 kW of
charging power, and non-Tesla ones offering 100kW to 150 kW have started
popping up in the past year or so, but very few in the 175 kW range are
anywhere in the world.

The fact that this chance encounter even happened is worth getting excited
about. We are far beyond the days of a 70 mile EV hypermiling to get to the
next 25 kW charging station. We can now explore how quickly a 300 mile
charge can be delivered. These brand new stations should be able to
accomplish the task in a matter of minutes.

The future is exciting, and thanks to the people on the front lines of
deploying the solutions — buying the vehicles and putting them to the test
in the real world — we can all join in on the fun as it unfolds.
[© cleantechnica.com]

Re: No Tesla-3 charging @L3-175kW from HyperEVSE

That is a lot of hype and short on accurate facts IMO. While the battery in a models will certainly take a 175kw charge I am not at all sure the cables can handle it. I watched Jack charge a single cell out of a model 3 at 10 Amps to 4.2 V. There are 46 cells in parallel in a Model 3 so that is equivalent to 460 Amps. 460 x 96 modules is 182Kw. The battery wasn’t even warm. However, even if the rest of the system can take 175Kw you still won’t charge the car in minutes. A Tesla Supercharger is limited to 250 Amps. The Hypercharger likely has a current limit as well. In addition, power is Amps times Volts so you don’t get max power till the voltage rises. At empty a Model 3 is around 270 volts. 270 x 460 A is 123KW.  You can’t cheat physics.

Sent from my iPhone