Noisy EV200 contactor (electrical noise)

Noisy EV200 contactor (electrical noise)

Phil_Marino

As I was shaking things out today in my almost-ready conversion ( an Echo), I ran into a weird problem.  When the negative contactor closed ( in the ignition keyswitch position) , my tach and voltmeter displays started doing weird things (even with the motor stopped).  The contactor is a Tyco EV200, the one with the economizer, which is really a DC-DC supply.

My first thought was that somehow the contactor coil load was dropping the 12V system. But, that wasn't it.

Eventually I figured out that the contactor coil-driving electronics was feeding noise back into the 12V system (and/or into ground) .  Putting a small (22uF) electrolytic capacitor across the coil leads - at the contactor - solved the problem.

One problem down, only a couple left to go.

Phil

Re: Noisy EV200 contactor (electrical noise)

Travis Gintz
good to know, just got one a few weeks ago for my motorcycle.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Phil Marino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I was shaking things out today in my almost-ready conversion ( an Echo),
> I ran into a weird problem.  When the negative contactor closed ( in the
> ignition keyswitch position) , my tach and voltmeter displays started doing
> weird things (even with the motor stopped).  The contactor is a Tyco EV200,
> the one with the economizer, which is really a DC-DC supply.
>
> My first thought was that somehow the contactor coil load was dropping the
> 12V system. But, that wasn't it.
>
> Eventually I figured out that the contactor coil-driving electronics was
> feeding noise back into the 12V system (and/or into ground) .  Putting a
> small (22uF) electrolytic capacitor across the coil leads - at the contactor
> - solved the problem.
>
> One problem down, only a couple left to go.
>
> Phil

Travis Gintz
1986 Honda VFR DC conversion
Http://blog.evfr.net/

Re: Noisy EV200 contactor (electrical noise)

BBrown
Phil Marino wrote:

> As I was shaking things out today in my almost-ready conversion ( an Echo), I ran into a weird problem.  When the negative contactor closed ( in the ignition keyswitch position) , my tach and voltmeter displays started doing weird things (even with the motor stopped).  The contactor is a Tyco EV200, the one with the economizer, which is really a DC-DC supply.
>
> My first thought was that somehow the contactor coil load was dropping the 12V system. But, that wasn't it.
>
> Eventually I figured out that the contactor coil-driving electronics was feeding noise back into the 12V system (and/or into ground) .  Putting a small (22uF) electrolytic capacitor across the coil leads - at the contactor - solved the problem.
>
> One problem down, only a couple left to go.
>
> Phil

How does this capacitor inter-react with the recommended (?) diode
across the same terminals?
Or does the diode do the same thing - or do we/should we use both of them?

(So many questions - so little time!)
Seems the more I learn, the more I realize how little I really know, and
more importantly understand to the point that I could actually explain
it to someone else!
Keep trying thou, I'm a good listener! Thanks!
Bob

Re: Noisy EV200 contactor (electrical noise)

Peter Gabrielsson
Thank you, I was also having some noise problems when the contactor
closed, I presumed it was the Curtis, never occurred to me that it
could be the contactor.

www.electric-lemon.com