OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Bob Tregilus
Hi all -

A bit off topic, but I thought y'all might find the
following picture useful if you do public presentations like
I do.

I was on my way back from the Opportunities in
Grid-Connected Mobility conference in San Fransisco last
week when I stopped near Davis, California and discovered an
old MagneCharge EV charging station. The other one, not seen
in the photo, was a new Tesla 208vac 32amp station. As it
happened a "stinker" was blocking access to both stations. A
really big stinker, the swine.

http://electricnevada.org/pics/stinker.jpg

BTW: if you'd like to see the Tesla station it's on our
Facebook page at http://tinyurl.com/nxdw8x & includes
details from the ratings label on the station.

Be well,
Bob Tregilus
Co-chair
Alternative Transportation Club &
Electric Auto Association of Northern Nevada
http://ElectricNevada.org
775 826-4514

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Brett Davis
Pretty sweet stinker if you ask me.  And if it's a diesel (most of these
are) then it's pretty efficient for it's size and weight.  This vehicle gets
roughly double the mileage a similar vehicle of this type would 20 years
ago, with significantly more power and torque and better reliability, more
capacity, safety, and comfort to boot.

Explain to me how this picture is the least bit useful in *promoting* EV's?

Unless, of course, IT IS an EV, and is plugged in.

A pic showing the charging stations would be a lot more useful...many people
probably don't even "see" them.  Kind of like AED's in public places, unless
you are specifically looking for them.

:-)

Brett

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Bob Tregilus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> A bit off topic, but I thought y'all might find the
> following picture useful if you do public presentations like
> I do.
>
> I was on my way back from the Opportunities in
> Grid-Connected Mobility conference in San Fransisco last
> week when I stopped near Davis, California and discovered an
> old MagneCharge EV charging station. The other one, not seen
> in the photo, was a new Tesla 208vac 32amp station. As it
> happened a "stinker" was blocking access to both stations. A
> really big stinker, the swine.
>
> http://electricnevada.org/pics/stinker.jpg
>
> BTW: if you'd like to see the Tesla station it's on our
> Facebook page at http://tinyurl.com/nxdw8x & includes
> details from the ratings label on the station.
>
> Be well,
> Bob Tregilus
> Co-chair
> Alternative Transportation Club &
> Electric Auto Association of Northern Nevada
> http://ElectricNevada.org <http://electricnevada.org/>
> 775 826-4514

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Bob Tregilus
<quote author="Brett Davis">

--- snip ---

Explain to me how this picture is the least bit useful in *promoting* EV's?

--- snip -----

Brett

---

Hey Brett -

As policy guy who does work "promoting" xEVs to local and state officials the picture expresses well the need for xEV charger station sharing protocols and etiquette. Also, it's a great visual demonstrating the need for public education that reliable access to an xEV charger may make a lot of difference in people's ability to occasionally travel outside of their xEV's single charge range. Also, when encouraging businesses to install opportunity chargers, for customer convenience, the picture communicates the need for consideration of xEV parking spot protocols.

Therefore, I felt if others on this list were into promoting xEVs to businesses, government, or the public, the picture may prove useful in their efforts to educate people about public charging station issues.

http://ElectricNevada.org
775 826-4514

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Brett Davis
Well stated.

I guess it just seemed like a slam, which I thought was rather pointless.

I doubt the person driving the SD in the pic was even aware of the charging
stations or that they were blocked...similar to parking in front of water or
compressed air dispensers.

Heck, I even blocked 2 gas pumps the other day with my tug & trailer, simply
because my passenger needed to run inside a quickie-mart and there was no
where else (safe) to park.

Brett

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Bob Tregilus <[hidden email]>wrote:

> --- snip ---
>
> Explain to me how this picture is the least bit useful in *promoting* EV's?
>
> --- snip -----
>
> Brett
>
> ---
>
> Hey Brett -
>
> As policy guy who does work "promoting" xEVs to local and state officials
> the picture expresses well the need for xEV charger station sharing
> protocols and etiquette. Also, it's a great visual demonstrating the need
> for public education that reliable access to an xEV charger may make a lot
> of difference in people's ability to occasionally travel outside of their
> xEV's single charge range. Also, when encouraging businesses to install
> opportunity chargers, for customer convenience, the picture communicates
> the
> need for consideration of xEV parking spot protocols.
>
> Therefore, I felt if others on this list were into promoting xEVs to
> businesses, government, or the public, the picture may prove useful in
> their
> efforts to educate people about public charging station issues.
>
> Be well,
> Bob Tregilus
> Co-chair
> Alternative Transportation Club &
> Electric Auto Association of Northern Nevada
> http://ElectricNevada.org <http://electricnevada.org/>
> 775 826-4514

> Nabble.com.

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

shred
Well first of all I don’t see why we need 8000lbs or more of auto to transport a 200lb person around.
So to me that in itself says something.
I also think that EV charge stations should be clearly marked and anyone parked there should be ticketed or towed if not charging.
Neal
Brett Davis wrote

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Bob Tregilus <atc@electricnevada.org>wrote:

> --- snip ---
>
> Explain to me how this picture is the least bit useful in *promoting* EV's?
>
> --- snip -----
>
> Brett
>
> ---
>
> Hey Brett -
>
> As policy guy who does work "promoting" xEVs to local and state officials
> the picture expresses well the need for xEV charger station sharing
> protocols and etiquette. Also, it's a great visual demonstrating the need
> for public education that reliable access to an xEV charger may make a lot
> of difference in people's ability to occasionally travel outside of their
> xEV's single charge range. Also, when encouraging businesses to install
> opportunity chargers, for customer convenience, the picture communicates
> the
> need for consideration of xEV parking spot protocols.
>
> Therefore, I felt if others on this list were into promoting xEVs to
> businesses, government, or the public, the picture may prove useful in
> their
> efforts to educate people about public charging station issues.
>
> Be well,
> Bob Tregilus
> Co-chair
> Alternative Transportation Club &
> Electric Auto Association of Northern Nevada
> http://ElectricNevada.org <http://electricnevada.org/>
> 775 826-4514

> Nabble.com.

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Dennis Miles-4
Bob, drivers like this really really incite ill will in me.   But I found
a simple way to vent my fustration without causing damage, I carry some
Avery brand peel and press blank mailing labels with me, I would have
written WARNING improperly blocking two spaces, this vehicle may be towed
at next violation. Parking Patrol   in permanent marker then pealed and
place on driver's window glass.  Need only a razor blade scraper to
remove, so no damage done or intended, but to drive driver must open
window and face the outside weather. It just twists their arm enough so
most pay attention.
LOL :o)    Only thing, a gas tanker would have been funny.    Dennis
Miles

[...]

Electric Vehicle Training Center
Dennis Miles, (Director)
"Training Mechanics to Fix
Tomorrows Electric Vehicles!
(Opening in 2009, in Central Florida)

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at www.mail.com

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

joe-22
Looks like he needs a really expensive ticket!! Would local law enforcement
actually give him one? I hope you at least stuck a note on the truck!!!

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

> A bit off topic, but I thought y'all might find the
> following picture useful if you do public presentations like
> I do.
>
> I was on my way back from the Opportunities in
> Grid-Connected Mobility conference in San Fransisco last
> week when I stopped near Davis, California and discovered an
> old MagneCharge EV charging station. The other one, not seen
> in the photo, was a new Tesla 208vac 32amp station. As it
> happened a "stinker" was blocking access to both stations. A
> really big stinker, the swine.
>
> http://electricnevada.org/pics/stinker.jpg
>
> BTW: if you'd like to see the Tesla station it's on our
> Facebook page at http://tinyurl.com/nxdw8x & includes
> details from the ratings label on the station.
>
> Be well,
> Bob Tregilus
> Co-chair
> Alternative Transportation Club &
> Electric Auto Association of Northern Nevada
> http://ElectricNevada.org
> 775 826-4514

17:53:00

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

joe-22
This picture was, in my opinion, not in the least OT! And certainly does
promote EV's.

Some people might take offense at Brett's comment about the pickup being a
really sweet "stinker" - no ICE is "sweet", in my opinion; and I have
several of them!

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

> Explain to me how this picture is the least bit useful in *promoting*
> EV's?
>
> --- snip -----
>
> Brett
>
> ---
>
> Hey Brett -
>
> As policy guy who does work "promoting" xEVs to local and state officials
> the picture expresses well the need for xEV charger station sharing
> protocols and etiquette. Also, it's a great visual demonstrating the need
> for public education that reliable access to an xEV charger may make a lot
> of difference in people's ability to occasionally travel outside of their
> xEV's single charge range. Also, when encouraging businesses to install
> opportunity chargers, for customer convenience, the picture communicates
> the
> need for consideration of xEV parking spot protocols.
>
> Therefore, I felt if others on this list were into promoting xEVs to
> businesses, government, or the public, the picture may prove useful in
> their
> efforts to educate people about public charging station issues.
>
> Be well,
> Bob Tregilus
> Co-chair
> Alternative Transportation Club &
> Electric Auto Association of Northern Nevada
> http://ElectricNevada.org
> 775 826-4514

> Nabble.com.

17:53:00

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Francois Dion
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:49 AM, joe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks like he needs a really expensive ticket!! Would local law enforcement
> actually give him one? I hope you at least stuck a note on the truck!!!
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar

This looks staged to me. No license plate, and exactly taking both spaces...

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Bob Rice-2
  So ya park BEHIND him, blocking him IN! Run  yur 'stench cord by him to
your rig! We EVers will have to come up with a "Ticket" With Chip Gribben's
great graphics,to stick under his wiper? Sorta like the ones that folks use
on BIG gas rigs" Gees! With a little imagination you COULD have taken 3
spots?" Etc? People USUALLY don't park in Handicapped spots, because of
ticket warnings, and we have PLENTY of handicapped spots!!EV spots are gunna
be far less, even in a perfect world? You don't think EV spots are gunna be
as nice and convenient as Handicrapped spots? I doubt it? The'll be out back
somewhere near the power service drop?The'll offer a shuttle bus to get to
them<g>?

     Time will tell? We'll need another National Emergency to get stuff
done, anyhow as US-ian Sheeple live from one to another. Our way of life?

    Pluggin' Along

    Bob
> Looks like he needs a really expensive ticket!! Would local law
> enforcement
> actually give him one? I hope you at least stuck a note on the truck!!!
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
> E-mail: [hidden email]

Zeke Yewdall
Good point -- we have plenty of handicapped parking spots, and people
respect those.  25 years ago, we didn't have as many of them, and if there
was one, people didn't really pay attention much either.  Same with fire
hydrants.... pretty much everyone knows not to park in front of them now.
But, EV charging spots are kind of new and most people ignore them or don't
even notice them.  There are special alternative fuel vehicle parking spots
in the new shopping center in Boulder (no charging, just reserved spots),
and mostly I see Prius's parked there... nothing alternative about gasoline,
last I checked...  occasionally, I do see an EV or plug in prius there, or
biodiesel car though).

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Bob Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  So ya park BEHIND him, blocking him IN! Run  yur 'stench cord by him to
> your rig! We EVers will have to come up with a "Ticket" With Chip Gribben's
> great graphics,to stick under his wiper? Sorta like the ones that folks use
> on BIG gas rigs" Gees! With a little imagination you COULD have taken 3
> spots?" Etc? People USUALLY don't park in Handicapped spots, because of
> ticket warnings, and we have PLENTY of handicapped spots!!EV spots are
> gunna
> be far less, even in a perfect world? You don't think EV spots are gunna be
> as nice and convenient as Handicrapped spots? I doubt it? The'll be out
> back
> somewhere near the power service drop?The'll offer a shuttle bus to get to
> them<g>?
>
>     Time will tell? We'll need another National Emergency to get stuff
> done, anyhow as US-ian Sheeple live from one to another. Our way of life?
>
>    Pluggin' Along
>
>    Bob

Folks, let's not get into a flame war over this.

EV people get annoyed when charging stations (scarce) are blocked by
thoughtless ICEV drivers.  This is justified, though you're right that the
ICE drivers usually don't notice.  Education and enforcement are the keys.

There are some who also have strong negative opinions about large ICEVs,
like big pickups (diesel or otherwise).  I suspect that opinion has spilled
over into this discussion.

Both sides in that issue, which BTW is OT for this list (hint hint ;-) need
to accept the fact that the other exists on this list too, and do a bit of
"live and let live."

Be careful not to slam EVers who also drive big ICEVs.  Not everybody is
into EVs for "green" reasons.

But at the same time if YOU drive a big vehicle, recognize that this
attitude is out there, and probably pretty prevalent on the EVDL.  Don't be
overly sensitive (or quick to snap back) when someone makes a negative
comment about big vehicles.

Remember the basic EVDL principles (cribbed from Fidonet) :

1. Thou shalt not be too annoying.

2. Thou shalt not be too easily annoyed.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" an "etpost" addresses will not

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

mark at evie-systems
If I had the money, I'd buy that truck from that dealer, convert it to
an EV, and hand him back the keys.

Bob Tregilus wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> A bit off topic, but I thought y'all might find the
> following picture useful if you do public presentations like
> I do.
>
> I was on my way back from the Opportunities in
> Grid-Connected Mobility conference in San Fransisco last
> week when I stopped near Davis, California and discovered an
> old MagneCharge EV charging station. The other one, not seen
> in the photo, was a new Tesla 208vac 32amp station. As it
> happened a "stinker" was blocking access to both stations. A
> really big stinker, the swine.
>
> http://electricnevada.org/pics/stinker.jpg
>
> BTW: if you'd like to see the Tesla station it's on our
> Facebook page at http://tinyurl.com/nxdw8x&  includes
> details from the ratings label on the station.
>
> Be well,
> Bob Tregilus
> Co-chair
> Alternative Transportation Club&
> Electric Auto Association of Northern Nevada
> http://ElectricNevada.org
> 775 826-4514

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
mark@evie-systems.com
"Delay is preferable to error", Thomas Jefferson.

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Bob Rice-2

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Brett Davis
My point exactly Dave!  There is no room for a holier than thou attitude on
either side; it just doesn't do anyone any good.  That is what I was
speaking to...and why so quick to "snap back", to nip this kind of crud in
the bud.

I am well aware of the attitude against big ICEV's...some of which is
ignorance and some is justified.  As someone who regularly uses the
attributes of big ICEV's, I am equally annoyed by the masses who have them
just for show, and grateful that I have so many used models to choose from.
:-)

We DON'T need the same ignorant attitude against EV's or EVers...and it is
out there too.

BTW, aren't issues, education and attitude for promoting EV's part of this
list?

Best regards,
Brett (wants EV for green AND econo reasons)
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:45 AM, EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Both sides in that issue, which BTW is OT for this list (hint hint ;-) need
> to accept the fact that the other exists on this list too, and do a bit of
> "live and let live."
>
> Be careful not to slam EVers who also drive big ICEVs.  Not everybody is
> into EVs for "green" reasons.
>
> But at the same time if YOU drive a big vehicle, recognize that this
> attitude is out there, and probably pretty prevalent on the EVDL.  Don't be
> overly sensitive (or quick to snap back) when someone makes a negative
> comment about big vehicles.

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

joe-22
Some states don't require 2 lic. plates, and this one has a dealer ad, which
makes me think it is just brand new, and was just purchased. Whatever, still
no excuse to park in the EV spots!!

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:49 AM, joe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Looks like he needs a really expensive ticket!! Would local law
>> enforcement
>> actually give him one? I hope you at least stuck a note on the truck!!!
>>
>> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> This looks staged to me. No license plate, and exactly taking both
> spaces...

05:53:00

Francois Dion wrote:

This looks staged to me. No license plate, and exactly taking both spaces...

---

It wasn't. If you drop by the Facebook URL you'll find other shots. There were in fact open spaces behind him, one of which I pulled into. I think he'd just picked up the truck and stopped at the Taco Bell (my friend reminds me that Taco Bell is all you can afford after buying a Tesla - reason there was a Tesla charger there too) to pick up lunch. Actually, he came out with is tiny daughter while we were taking pictures of the Tesla charging station and stretching out its cord to see how long it was. We refrained from saying anything to him. I believe the sheepish look on his face indicated he was aware he'd violated some sort of protocol. It was rather silly given there were plenty of spaces to park in but I believe he was new to driving that size vehicle and wasn't confident with his ability to maneuver it in tight parking lots.

Regarding other comments - I liked Dennis' and the large Avery notes. Great idea! And Lee, or whoever was talking about pulling trailers: park across the street or way out of the way and walk, clearly one shouldn't block designated specialty parking slots.

On another note: I've read that some people have suggested that businesses expand handicap parking and equip all handicap spaces with chargers. Then it would be a first come first serve basis for who gets to park in the choice handicapped spots. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) I believe there are requirements that must be met with regard to the number of spaces allotted for handicapped parking based on total number of spaces available. I wonder if there are any issues regarding dual use of the spaces if they were expanded in number accordingly? Anyone know about that?

Finally, I'll start a new thread and post a couple pictures of the Tesla charger. I have a question about the side label.

http://ElectricNevada.org
775 826-4514

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

shred
I went shopping yesterday at a Big R supply store.
They have two places to park where there are plugs for opportunity charging which I usually use.
But they had the sprinklers on where one plug is & I didn’t want to get wet while plugging in (water was soaking the GFI outlet).
The other is in a handicap designated parking spot.
My point is that because it was marked ‘handicap parking’ I respected that even though there was two handicap parking spots and no one using either.
I read the sign I thought I am not any more important then anyone else.
I don’t think the driver of the new ICE was of the same mindset.
I think he parked there so he would be closer to the entrance and so no one would open their door and scratch his brand new truck.
When I was young and driving a new Trans-Am I used to do the same kind of thing.
That is I would take up mutable places so no one could park right next to me.
So I didn’t charge & ended up buying less merchandise then I would have if I was charging there.
BTW I too have a large stinker that I drive it a little as possible and mostly use it to two my boat & other.
I have an electric bicycle, electric motorcycle, electric car, an ICE car & ICE van.
I use the smallest vehicle that will get the job done.

joe-22 wrote

E-mail: joe@gremcoinc.com

>> Looks like he needs a really expensive ticket!! Would local law
>> enforcement
>> actually give him one? I hope you at least stuck a note on the truck!!!
>>
>> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> This looks staged to me. No license plate, and exactly taking both
> spaces...

05:53:00

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Tim Humphrey
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:50 PM, shred <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I was young and driving a new Trans-Am I used to do the same kind of
> thing.
> That is I would take up mutable places so no one could park right next to
> me.

Yep, and I'm the asshole that used to squeeze into one of the
halfspots that you left ;-)

Re: OT - Big stinker blocks EV charging stations

Brett Davis
I used to do that in my sammy.  Maybe I'll do it again in my EV
Tracker...before I put the EV stickers on it, of course.