OT: My E- mower power supply died, help?

OT: My E- mower power supply died, help?

Hi all,
I have been using a nice programmable AMREL 80V PS for years now to charge
my old Black and Decker 24V mower. The PS not working and I would like to
get something newer and appropriately priced for the application.

Can any of you recommend a good 24V lead acid charger? Or perhaps tell me
what to look for. Used is good, new is Ok.

Thanks!

Mmike

--
Michael E. Ross
(919) 585-6737 Land

Re: OT: My E- mower power supply died, help?

I think that I’m on my 10th electric mower, and my latest is the best by far. It’s a Greenworks 40V power-assisted.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Jun 23, 2020, at 4:48 PM, Michael Ross via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I have been using a nice programmable AMREL 80V PS for years now to charge
> my old Black and Decker 24V mower. The PS not working and I would like to
> get something newer and appropriately priced for the application.
>
> Can any of you recommend a good 24V lead acid charger? Or perhaps tell me
> what to look for. Used is good, new is Ok.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mmike
>
> --
> Michael E. Ross
> (919) 585-6737 Land
> (919) 901-2805 Cell and Text
> (919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Tablet,
> Google Phone and Text

Re: OT: My E- mower power supply died, help?

Oops, sorry. I misread that you were looking for either a charger or possibly a new mower.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Jun 23, 2020, at 7:21 PM, Mark Abramowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think that I’m on my 10th electric mower, and my latest is the best by far. It’s a Greenworks 40V power-assisted.
>

> - Mark
>
> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone
>
>> On Jun 23, 2020, at 4:48 PM, Michael Ross via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I have been using a nice programmable AMREL 80V PS for years now to charge
>> my old Black and Decker 24V mower. The PS not working and I would like to
>> get something newer and appropriately priced for the application.
>>
>> Can any of you recommend a good 24V lead acid charger? Or perhaps tell me
>> what to look for. Used is good, new is Ok.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mmike
>>
>> --
>> Michael E. Ross
>> (919) 585-6737 Land
>> (919) 901-2805 Cell and Text
>> (919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Tablet,
>> Google Phone and Text

Re: OT: My E- mower power supply died, help?

No problem Mark. I may go for a new mower. I'm not interested in the power
assist particularly, but getting away from PbSO4 would be nice. I have to
buy about $100 of batteries every 3 or 4 years. If I can't get a good
charger/BMS for my lead acid cells,at a low cost, then a new mower is
likely.

Having 10 mowers ... sounds like bad luck. The mulch bag is falling off the
current mower,so it has been around for a long long time. I can't
remember when I got it. 6 or more years ago and it was used.

Mike

On Tue Jun 23 19:21:39 PDT 2020 [hidden email] said:
>> Can any of you recommend a good 24V lead acid charger? Or perhaps tell me
>> what to look for. Used is good, new is Ok.

On the last 24v lead-acid mower I had, I just used 2 small 12V chargers.  (Yeah, had to hang a wire/plug out the top of the mower for them.)

--

Bobcats and Cougars, oh my!  http://john.casadelgato.com/Pets

Ego vs Greenworks?

I'm on my 2nd electric mower (the first was a 24v lead acid model I got
secondhand) which is an Ego 56v Li-Ion self propelled model.

I've been generally happy with it, except for the fact that the self
propel module has failed several times. (Repaired/replaced under their 5
year warranty each time, the last time with an updated SP unit that has
been going strong so far.)

Mark I wonder if one of your 10 has been an Ego model and if you can
compare it to the Greenworks?

Jay

On 6/23/20 10:21 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:

> I think that I’m on my 10th electric mower, and my latest is the best by far. It’s a Greenworks 40V power-assisted.
>

> - Mark
>
> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone
>
>> On Jun 23, 2020, at 4:48 PM, Michael Ross via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I have been using a nice programmable AMREL 80V PS for years now to charge
>> my old Black and Decker 24V mower. The PS not working and I would like to
>> get something newer and appropriately priced for the application.
>>
>> Can any of you recommend a good 24V lead acid charger? Or perhaps tell me
>> what to look for. Used is good, new is Ok.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mmike
>>
>> --
>> Michael E. Ross
>> (919) 585-6737 Land
>> (919) 901-2805 Cell and Text
>> (919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Tablet,
>> Google Phone and Text

Re: Ego vs Greenworks?

No, never an Ego.

I’ve had a Homelite, a Craftsman (I think made by Black and Decker), a few Black and Deckers (they never lasted, though the last one was a major improvement), and a few others.

My first electric was a corded one in the late 60s, early 70’s. I couldn’t tell you the brand.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Jun 24, 2020, at 7:34 AM, Jay Summet via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm on my 2nd electric mower (the first was a 24v lead acid model I got secondhand) which is an Ego 56v Li-Ion self propelled model.
>
> I've been generally happy with it, except for the fact that the self propel module has failed several times. (Repaired/replaced under their 5 year warranty each time, the last time with an updated SP unit that has been going strong so far.)
>
> Mark I wonder if one of your 10 has been an Ego model and if you can compare it to the Greenworks?
>
> Jay
>
>> On 6/23/20 10:21 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:
>> I think that I’m on my 10th electric mower, and my latest is the best by far. It’s a Greenworks 40V power-assisted.
>> - Mark
>> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have been using a nice programmable AMREL 80V PS for years now to charge
>>> my old Black and Decker 24V mower. The PS not working and I would like to
>>> get something newer and appropriately priced for the application.
>>>
>>> Can any of you recommend a good 24V lead acid charger? Or perhaps tell me
>>> what to look for. Used is good, new is Ok.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Mmike
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael E. Ross
>>> (919) 585-6737 Land
>>> (919) 901-2805 Cell and Text
>>> (919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Tablet,
>>> Google Phone and Text

Re: Ego vs Greenworks?

I've owned a total of 4 E-mowers (not counting the Elec-traks) so far since
1994 - a B&D, two Yard Machines (MTD), and a Greenworks.

The B&D lasted the longest, but I had to replace the motor and the wheels.
Eventually the replacement motor died too, and since the plastic deck was
starting to crack from age and hard use, I gave up on it.  But at least
spare parts were mostly available, and usually at reasonable prices.

The MTDs' motors both failed too.  The official factory motors were priced
over $300, more than the entire mowers cost, so the mowers were essentially
disposable.

Probably the Greenworks will prove to be disposable too.  It's a cheap and
cheerful Chinese mower.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

Re: Ego vs Greenworks?

Hi everyone, any one have experience with Stihl?

Denis

Le 20-06-24 à 13 h 19, EVDL Administrator via EV a écrit :

> I've owned a total of 4 E-mowers (not counting the Elec-traks) so far since
> 1994 - a B&D, two Yard Machines (MTD), and a Greenworks.
>
> The B&D lasted the longest, but I had to replace the motor and the wheels.
> Eventually the replacement motor died too, and since the plastic deck was
> starting to crack from age and hard use, I gave up on it.  But at least
> spare parts were mostly available, and usually at reasonable prices.
>
> The MTDs' motors both failed too.  The official factory motors were priced
> over $300, more than the entire mowers cost, so the mowers were essentially
> disposable.
>
> Probably the Greenworks will prove to be disposable too.  It's a cheap and
> cheerful Chinese mower.
>
> David Roden, EVDL moderator & general lackey
>
> To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my
> offlist address here : http://evdl.org/help/index.html#supt

Re: Ego vs Greenworks?

No experience with Stihl electrics., but I do have 2-3 years experience
using 2 EGO manual drive mowers (and 2 blowers). They're much better than
the previous Pb-acid mower and corded mowers I have used.

The 7.5 Ah 56v battery (14s3p, using 2.5Ah 18650 cells) (14 x 4.0v = 56v
nominal, 14x4.2=58.8 peak) is best for the mower, especially if facing
thick grass as that is a high C rate scenario. The 5.0 Ah battery (14s2p,
2.5Ah cells) works fine for smaller yards or thinner grass. 4.0 Ah
batteries (14s2p, 2.0Ah cells), 2.0 Ah (14s1p, 2.0Ah cells), and 2.5 Ah
(14s1p, 2.5Ah cells) batteries also exist.

Online searches indicate a 10.0Ah battery known as BA5600T also exists, at
least in Europe. I guess that may be 14s3p or 14s4p, respectively using
3.3Ah or 2.5 Ah cells. There is a battery external physical dimensions size
limit in their mower and snowblower designs, possibly preventing 14s4p.

It is unclear if there is a switch from 18650 to 21700 cells in the 10.0 Ah
unit. From the cell capacity ranges published here, it appears 3.3Ah+
capacity 18650 cells exist, making a 14s3p 10.0Ah configuration possible.
https://www.dnkpower.com/teslas-mass-production-21700-battery/

A weakness in older EGO batteries is there is no state of charger indicator
until you are down to the last 15% when a light turns solid red. They have
added a gauge to new batteries.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020, 13:15 Denis Boutet via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone, any one have experience with Stihl?
>
> Denis
>
> Le 20-06-24 à 13 h 19, EVDL Administrator via EV a écrit :
> > I've owned a total of 4 E-mowers (not counting the Elec-traks) so far
> since
> > 1994 - a B&D, two Yard Machines (MTD), and a Greenworks.
> >
> > The B&D lasted the longest, but I had to replace the motor and the
> wheels.
> > Eventually the replacement motor died too, and since the plastic deck was
> > starting to crack from age and hard use, I gave up on it.  But at least
> > spare parts were mostly available, and usually at reasonable prices.
> >
> > The MTDs' motors both failed too.  The official factory motors were
> priced
> > over $300, more than the entire mowers cost, so the mowers were
> essentially
> > disposable.
> >
> > Probably the Greenworks will prove to be disposable too.  It's a cheap
> and
> > cheerful Chinese mower.
> >
> > David Roden, EVDL moderator & general lackey
> >
> > To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my
> > offlist address here : http://evdl.org/help/index.html#supt

Re: Ego vs Greenworks?

No experience with Stihl lawn mowers, but I have nothing but high praise for the brand.

After years of getting (mostly) Black and Decker hedge trimmers, I bought a Stihl corded.  It was expensive, but the Stihl made the B&D seem like a toy. We call it “The Monster”, and it has been just incredible. They’ve only recently gotten into consumer stuff, and have increased their electric tool availability.

We were going to get a Stihl weed whacker,  but you need to wind it, like a commercial one. That was a non-starter for my wife,

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Jun 24, 2020, at 11:15 AM, Denis Boutet via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone, any one have experience with Stihl?
>
> Denis
>
>> Le 20-06-24 à 13 h 19, EVDL Administrator via EV a écrit :
>> I've owned a total of 4 E-mowers (not counting the Elec-traks) so far since
>> 1994 - a B&D, two Yard Machines (MTD), and a Greenworks.
>>
>> The B&D lasted the longest, but I had to replace the motor and the wheels.
>> Eventually the replacement motor died too, and since the plastic deck was
>> starting to crack from age and hard use, I gave up on it.  But at least
>> spare parts were mostly available, and usually at reasonable prices.
>>
>> The MTDs' motors both failed too.  The official factory motors were priced
>> over $300, more than the entire mowers cost, so the mowers were essentially
>> disposable.
>>
>> Probably the Greenworks will prove to be disposable too.  It's a cheap and
>> cheerful Chinese mower.
>>
>> David Roden, EVDL moderator & general lackey
>>
>> To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my
>> offlist address here : http://evdl.org/help/index.html#supt

Re: Ego vs Greenworks?

I have been impressed with the Ego battery / charger system.

I've been tracking my 7.5 AH battery degradation over time, and it looks
reasonable for laptop style cells (I hit them relatively hard).

https://www.summet.com/blog/2019/12/19/ego-battery-degradation-over-time-2-year-mark/

Jay

On 6/24/20 3:54 PM, Haudy Kazemi via EV wrote:

> No experience with Stihl electrics., but I do have 2-3 years experience
> using 2 EGO manual drive mowers (and 2 blowers). They're much better than
> the previous Pb-acid mower and corded mowers I have used.
>
> The 7.5 Ah 56v battery (14s3p, using 2.5Ah 18650 cells) (14 x 4.0v = 56v
> nominal, 14x4.2=58.8 peak) is best for the mower, especially if facing
> thick grass as that is a high C rate scenario. The 5.0 Ah battery (14s2p,
> 2.5Ah cells) works fine for smaller yards or thinner grass. 4.0 Ah
> batteries (14s2p, 2.0Ah cells), 2.0 Ah (14s1p, 2.0Ah cells), and 2.5 Ah
> (14s1p, 2.5Ah cells) batteries also exist.
>
> Online searches indicate a 10.0Ah battery known as BA5600T also exists, at
> least in Europe. I guess that may be 14s3p or 14s4p, respectively using
> 3.3Ah or 2.5 Ah cells. There is a battery external physical dimensions size
> limit in their mower and snowblower designs, possibly preventing 14s4p.
>
> It is unclear if there is a switch from 18650 to 21700 cells in the 10.0 Ah
> unit. From the cell capacity ranges published here, it appears 3.3Ah+
> capacity 18650 cells exist, making a 14s3p 10.0Ah configuration possible.
> https://www.dnkpower.com/teslas-mass-production-21700-battery/
>
> A weakness in older EGO batteries is there is no state of charger indicator
> until you are down to the last 15% when a light turns solid red. They have
> added a gauge to new batteries.
>

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020, 13:15 Denis Boutet via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone, any one have experience with Stihl?
>>
>> Denis
>>
>> Le 20-06-24 à 13 h 19, EVDL Administrator via EV a écrit :
>>> I've owned a total of 4 E-mowers (not counting the Elec-traks) so far
>> since
>>> 1994 - a B&D, two Yard Machines (MTD), and a Greenworks.
>>>
>>> The B&D lasted the longest, but I had to replace the motor and the
>> wheels.
>>> Eventually the replacement motor died too, and since the plastic deck was
>>> starting to crack from age and hard use, I gave up on it.  But at least
>>> spare parts were mostly available, and usually at reasonable prices.
>>>
>>> The MTDs' motors both failed too.  The official factory motors were
>> priced
>>> over $300, more than the entire mowers cost, so the mowers were
>> essentially
>>> disposable.
>>>
>>> Probably the Greenworks will prove to be disposable too.  It's a cheap
>> and
>>> cheerful Chinese mower.
>>>
>>> David Roden, EVDL moderator & general lackey
>>>
>>> To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my
>>> offlist address here : http://evdl.org/help/index.html#supt

Re: Ego vs Greenworks?

We have owned two MTD gas powered lawn mowers. One was a MTD push type. The
other was a Troy Built riding mower. Troy Built used to have an excellent
reputation, but the one that we bought was built after MTD bought Troy
Built.  The MTD brand was by far the worst mower that I have owned or had
experience with. The "new" Troy Built did not last more than a couple of
months so we took it back and got a refund. I think that MTD = made to die!

We have owned and used a gas powered Stihl chain saw for many years. It is
EXCELLENT! Almost a year ago we bought a Stihl electric chain saw. It was
not their most powerful electric chain saw as it seems to have been made
for smaller jobs. That is what we bought if for. With almost a year of use
we are extremely happy with the battery powered chain saw. With the Stihl
name behind a mower I would expect a quality machine.

We also have a Greenworks Pro 80 volt self propelled mower. The mower often
loses traction on our rough/uneven yard, but other than that I really like
it.

BobK

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020, 5:34 PM Mark Abramowitz via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> No experience with Stihl lawn mowers, but I have nothing but high praise
> for the brand.
>
> After years of getting (mostly) Black and Decker hedge trimmers, I bought
> a Stihl corded.  It was expensive, but the Stihl made the B&D seem like a
> toy. We call it “The Monster”, and it has been just incredible. They’ve
> only recently gotten into consumer stuff, and have increased their electric
> tool availability.
>
> We were going to get a Stihl weed whacker,  but you need to wind it, like
> a commercial one. That was a non-starter for my wife,
>
> - Mark
>
> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone
>
> > On Jun 24, 2020, at 11:15 AM, Denis Boutet via EV <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone, any one have experience with Stihl?
> >
> > Denis
> >
> >> Le 20-06-24 à 13 h 19, EVDL Administrator via EV a écrit :
> >> I've owned a total of 4 E-mowers (not counting the Elec-traks) so far
> since
> >> 1994 - a B&D, two Yard Machines (MTD), and a Greenworks.
> >>
> >> The B&D lasted the longest, but I had to replace the motor and the
> wheels.
> >> Eventually the replacement motor died too, and since the plastic deck
> was
> >> starting to crack from age and hard use, I gave up on it.  But at least
> >> spare parts were mostly available, and usually at reasonable prices.
> >>
> >> The MTDs' motors both failed too.  The official factory motors were
> priced
> >> over $300, more than the entire mowers cost, so the mowers were
> essentially
> >> disposable.
> >>
> >> Probably the Greenworks will prove to be disposable too.  It's a cheap
> and
> >> cheerful Chinese mower.
> >>
> >> David Roden, EVDL moderator & general lackey
> >>
> >> To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my
> >> offlist address here : http://evdl.org/help/index.html#supt

Re: Ego vs Greenworks?

I've never owned a gas mower. I used a rotary push mower for years, then
a "Rally" corded electric mower. I used it with a cord for 5-6 years,
then added a 120v pack of Gates lead-acid "D" cells to make it cordless,
and used it another 5-6 years that way. In fact, I still have some of
those Gates "D" cells that are still usable (now ~25 years old)!

I then got an Electrak riding mower (actually a New Idea E-8 version),
and later a GE Electrak G-10.

Then I got lazy, and got a Robomower 850. It worked well for 5-6 years,
but it was a pain to keep the "border fence" wire intact. Then it broke
down, and the company that made it went out of business. I need to
"hack" into it and figure out how to fix it.

I'm currently using a Black-and-Decker 36v mower. It's cheap and has
broken down several times, but so far I've been able to fix it. The
charger was junk (a battery "serial killer"), so now I use a good 12v
charger, and charge each of its 12 lead-acid batteries individually. The
current batteries are now 6 years old and still going.

If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
  - something to do
  - something to look forward to
  - someone to love
  - someone to take good care of