OT: NTSB report on Tesla Autopilot

OT, because while a Tesla was involved, it’s not really about EVs. I’m posting because of the tremendous interest in the coming (?) autopilot age.

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2019/09/06/ntsb-report-on-tesla-autopilot-accident-shows-whats-inside-and-its-not-pretty-for-fsd/amp/

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

Re: OT: NTSB report on Tesla Autopilot

This guy sounds like a professional article writer.

Last I looked the driver is still responsible for what his car does even if I believed his version of what happened. My Tesla’s have always stopped and warned me in this sort of situation and yes there have been obstructions that popped up because someone changed lanes. The car always reacted before I could.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 8, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OT, because while a Tesla was involved, it’s not really about EVs. I’m posting because of the tremendous interest in the coming (?) autopilot age.
>
> https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2019/09/06/ntsb-report-on-tesla-autopilot-accident-shows-whats-inside-and-its-not-pretty-for-fsd/amp/
>

> - Mark
>
> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

Re: OT: NTSB report on Tesla Autopilot

Yes, I agree it was well-written. It did have all those things that you mentioned, but I don’t think that it was *his* version, but the version released by the NTSB.

I haven’t read the NTSB report, so maybe he didn’t accurately summarize their conclusions.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Sep 9, 2019, at 5:12 AM, paul dove <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This guy sounds like a professional article writer.
>
> Last I looked the driver is still responsible for what his car does even if I believed his version of what happened. My Tesla’s have always stopped and warned me in this sort of situation and yes there have been obstructions that popped up because someone changed lanes. The car always reacted before I could.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Sep 8, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OT, because while a Tesla was involved, it’s not really about EVs. I’m posting because of the tremendous interest in the coming (?) autopilot age.
>>
>> https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2019/09/06/ntsb-report-on-tesla-autopilot-accident-shows-whats-inside-and-its-not-pretty-for-fsd/amp/
>>

>> - Mark
>>
>> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

Re: OT: NTSB report on Tesla Autopilot

The report just summarized the facts. It is out for review until November for comments. No conclusions were drawn. All the speculation in this article derived from the author and that was his version of the cause and shortcomings of Auto-Pilot not of NTSB.

    On Monday, September 9, 2019, 7:20:27 AM CDT, Mark Abramowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Yes, I agree it was well-written. It did have all those things that you mentioned, but I don’t think that it was *his* version, but the version released by the NTSB.

I haven’t read the NTSB report, so maybe he didn’t accurately summarize their conclusions.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Sep 9, 2019, at 5:12 AM, paul dove <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This guy sounds like a professional article writer.
>
> Last I looked the driver is still responsible for what his car does even if I believed his version of what happened. My Tesla’s have always stopped and warned me in this sort of situation and yes there have been obstructions that popped up because someone changed lanes. The car always reacted before I could.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Sep 8, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OT, because while a Tesla was involved, it’s not really about EVs. I’m posting because of the tremendous interest in the coming (?) autopilot age.
>>
>> https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bradtempleton/2019/09/06/ntsb-report-on-tesla-autopilot-accident-shows-whats-inside-and-its-not-pretty-for-fsd/amp/
>>

>> - Mark
>>
>> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

Re: OT: NTSB report on Tesla Autopilot

Got it.

Thanks for clarifying the NTSB v. author elements. Very important to understand that distinction.

On 9 Sep 2019 at 7:12, paul dove via EV wrote:

> This guy sounds like a professional article writer.

You say that like it's a bad thing.  It's not.

The word you're looking for is "journalist," or maybe "reporter."

But it's true that good ones are scarce these days.  We see that a lot in
Bruce's news posts, but that's not the only subject where they drop the ball
regularly.

Many so-called journalists don't do the necessary background research to
understand the subject.  They don't check whether what they've been told is
factual.  They don't confirm that they've even heard the person they talked
to correctly.  But they write the story anyway.

Basically that class of journalist is a secretary, not a reporter.  Nothing
wrong with being a secretary, it's just that we, as readers, expect (and pay
for) a different level of effort from a journalist.

From: EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]>

> You say that like it's a bad thing.  It's not.
>
> The word you're looking for is "journalist," or maybe "reporter."
>
> But it's true that good ones are scarce these day... Many so-called
> journalists don't do the necessary background research to understand
> the subject.  They don't check whether what they've been told is
> factual. They don't confirm that they've even heard the person they
> talked to correctly. But they write the story anyway.
>
> Basically that class of journalist is a secretary, not a reporter.
> Nothing wrong with being a secretary, it's just that we, as readers,
> expect (and pay for) a different level of effort from a journalist.

Most people don't want to pay for their news. They think they can get high quality news, right from the horse's mouth, for nothing. But if it's free, it's likely it came from the other end of the horse.

--
Excellence does not require perfection. -- Henry James