OT: Surreal Burning Man EVDL experience!!

OT: Surreal Burning Man EVDL experience!!

David Chapman-9
This is pretty much OT but as it concerns EVDL members I wanted to share it. Really cool happenstance...

My friend Eddie and I were cycling out on the deep playa trying to find the temple of Anubis before the burn and got caught in a total whiteout condition, visability like 10 feet and murky. We stopped for safety and to try and see any light or artifact to get our bearings when out of nowhere came these two guys in flight suits riding a 4 wheeled 2,000 lb bomb! I had been trying to get a picture of this for some time and could never catch them on my bike so I hollered to them and asked if I could take a picture. They said sure and struck a pose. Luckily the storm had temporarily abated and we could see and use a camera so I snapped a couple pics. Then I noticed the very well done undercarraige and obvious electric drive and complimented the driver on the design. He told me a bit about the specs then told me he had an electric van and was a member of something called the "EVDL". I started laughing and said "X", it David Chapman, don't you recognize me?
 Gotta remember, I was wearing mil surplus goggles, a respirator and a shemah. Anyway, this was a guy who is a well known long time EVDL member that I have had lots of interaction with over the years and who one would never expect to meet at Burning Man! And to stumble over him in literally the middle of nowhere in a complete alkaline whiteout was just too karmic! Shows ya you never know who is a burner or an EVer! Regards, Dach.

Re: OT: Surreal Burning Man EVDL experience!!

Ruckus
I will neither confirm nor deny my agreement.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM, David Chapman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is pretty much OT but as it concerns EVDL members I wanted to share
> it. Really cool happenstance...
>
> My friend Eddie and I were cycling out on the deep playa trying to find
> the temple of Anubis before the burn and got caught in a total whiteout
> condition, visability like 10 feet and murky. We stopped for safety and to
> try and see any light or artifact to get our bearings when out of nowhere
> came these two guys in flight suits riding a 4 wheeled 2,000 lb bomb! I had
> been trying to get a picture of this for some time and could never catch
> them on my bike so I hollered to them and asked if I could take a picture.
> They said sure and struck a pose. Luckily the storm had temporarily abated
> and we could see and use a camera so I snapped a couple pics. Then I
> noticed the very well done undercarraige and obvious electric drive and
> complimented the driver on the design. He told me a bit about the specs
> then told me he had an electric van and was a member of something called
> the "EVDL". I started laughing and said "X", it David Chapman, don't you
> recognize me?
>  Gotta remember, I was wearing mil surplus goggles, a respirator and a
> shemah. Anyway, this was a guy who is a well known long time EVDL member
> that I have had lots of interaction with over the years and who one would
> never expect to meet at Burning Man! And to stumble over him in literally
> the middle of nowhere in a complete alkaline whiteout was just too karmic!
> Shows ya you never know who is a burner or an EVer! Regards, Dach.

Marcus Reddish

*North Valley Systems LLC*
Stevensville, Montana
406-360-8628
northvalleyev.com

Re: OT: Surreal Burning Man EVDL experience!!

Mike Willmon
And "X" is who?
On Sep 4, 2012 3:20 PM, "Marcus Reddish" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I will neither confirm nor deny my agreement.
>
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM, David Chapman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > This is pretty much OT but as it concerns EVDL members I wanted to share
> > it. Really cool happenstance...
> >
> > My friend Eddie and I were cycling out on the deep playa trying to find
> > the temple of Anubis before the burn and got caught in a total whiteout
> > condition, visability like 10 feet and murky. We stopped for safety and
> > try and see any light or artifact to get our bearings when out of nowhere
> > came these two guys in flight suits riding a 4 wheeled 2,000 lb bomb! I
> had
> > been trying to get a picture of this for some time and could never catch
> > them on my bike so I hollered to them and asked if I could take a
> picture.
> > They said sure and struck a pose. Luckily the storm had temporarily
> abated
> > and we could see and use a camera so I snapped a couple pics. Then I
> > noticed the very well done undercarraige and obvious electric drive and
> > complimented the driver on the design. He told me a bit about the specs
> > then told me he had an electric van and was a member of something called
> > the "EVDL". I started laughing and said "X", it David Chapman, don't you
> > recognize me?
> >  Gotta remember, I was wearing mil surplus goggles, a respirator and a
> > shemah. Anyway, this was a guy who is a well known long time EVDL member
> > that I have had lots of interaction with over the years and who one would
> > never expect to meet at Burning Man! And to stumble over him in literally
> > the middle of nowhere in a complete alkaline whiteout was just too
> karmic!
> > Shows ya you never know who is a burner or an EVer! Regards, Dach.
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20120904/907339ed/attachment.html

> Marcus Reddish
>
> *North Valley Systems LLC*
> Stevensville, Montana
> 406-360-8628
> northvalleyev.com

Re: OT: Surreal Burning Man EVDL experience!!

corbin dunn
Not me...but I was there. We should have had an EVDL meet up!

Granted, I didn't have my electric bug there...it's a bit far of a drive from Santa Cruz.

corbin

On Sep 4, 2012, at 4:32 PM, Mike Willmon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And "X" is who?
> On Sep 4, 2012 3:20 PM, "Marcus Reddish" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I will neither confirm nor deny my agreement.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM, David Chapman <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is pretty much OT but as it concerns EVDL members I wanted to share
>>> it. Really cool happenstance...
>>>
>>> My friend Eddie and I were cycling out on the deep playa trying to find
>>> the temple of Anubis before the burn and got caught in a total whiteout
>>> condition, visability like 10 feet and murky. We stopped for safety and
>>> try and see any light or artifact to get our bearings when out of nowhere
>>> came these two guys in flight suits riding a 4 wheeled 2,000 lb bomb! I
>> had
>>> been trying to get a picture of this for some time and could never catch
>>> them on my bike so I hollered to them and asked if I could take a
>> picture.
>>> They said sure and struck a pose. Luckily the storm had temporarily
>> abated
>>> and we could see and use a camera so I snapped a couple pics. Then I
>>> noticed the very well done undercarraige and obvious electric drive and
>>> complimented the driver on the design. He told me a bit about the specs
>>> then told me he had an electric van and was a member of something called
>>> the "EVDL". I started laughing and said "X", it David Chapman, don't you
>>> recognize me?
>>> Gotta remember, I was wearing mil surplus goggles, a respirator and a
>>> shemah. Anyway, this was a guy who is a well known long time EVDL member
>>> that I have had lots of interaction with over the years and who one would
>>> never expect to meet at Burning Man! And to stumble over him in literally
>>> the middle of nowhere in a complete alkaline whiteout was just too
>> karmic!
>>> Shows ya you never know who is a burner or an EVer! Regards, Dach.
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20120904/907339ed/attachment.html
>>>

>> --
>> Marcus Reddish
>>
>> *North Valley Systems LLC*
>> Stevensville, Montana
>> 406-360-8628
>> northvalleyev.com
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: OT: Surreal Burning Man EVDL experience!!

Mike Willmon
Did anyone see Otmar?  He usually attends too.
On Sep 4, 2012 4:53 PM, "corbin dunn" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not me...but I was there. We should have had an EVDL meet up!
>
> Granted, I didn't have my electric bug there...it's a bit far of a drive
> from Santa Cruz.
>
> corbin
>
> On Sep 4, 2012, at 4:32 PM, Mike Willmon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > And "X" is who?
> > On Sep 4, 2012 3:20 PM, "Marcus Reddish" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I will neither confirm nor deny my agreement.

> share

> nowhere
> >> had
> catch
> >> picture.
> >> abated
> called
> you
> member
> would
> literally
> >> karmic!
> >>
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20120904/907339ed/attachment.html
> >>>

> >> --
> >> Marcus Reddish
> >>
> >> *North Valley Systems LLC*
> >> Stevensville, Montana
> >> 406-360-8628
> >> northvalleyev.com
> >> -------------- next part --------------
> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20120904/96398f1b/attachment.html

> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: OT: Surreal Burning Man EVDL experience!!

David Chapman-9
Nope didn't see Otmar, was looking for him and really sorry I missed ya Corbin! In the spirit of "what happens on the playa..." Mr. X can identify himself or not as he wishes. I think the EVDL BRC meetup is a great idea, maybe in 2013 we can organize an EVDL theme camp? The number of electric drive art cars was probably up in the high 90% + range! And lots of solar resources. Totally amazing amount of creativity. Dach.

________________________________
Did anyone see Otmar?  He usually attends too.
On Sep 4, 2012 4:53 PM, "corbin dunn" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not me...but I was there. We should have had an EVDL meet up!
>
> Granted, I didn't have my electric bug there...it's a bit far of a drive
> from Santa Cruz.
>
> corbin
>
> On Sep 4, 2012, at 4:32 PM, Mike Willmon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > And "X" is who?
> > On Sep 4, 2012 3:20 PM, "Marcus Reddish" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I will neither confirm nor deny my agreement.

> share

> nowhere
> >> had
> catch
> >> picture.
> >> abated
> called
> you
> member
> would
> literally
> >> karmic!
> >>
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20120904/907339ed/attachment.html
> >>>

> >> --
> >> Marcus Reddish
> >>
> >> *North Valley Systems LLC*
> >> Stevensville, Montana
> >> 406-360-8628
> >> northvalleyev.com
> >> -------------- next part --------------
> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20120904/96398f1b/attachment.html

> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: OT: Surreal Burning Man EVDL experience!!

Zeke Yewdall
Sorry to have missed it this year.  I usually run solar power systems for
my camp there, and have wanted to bring an EV, but the idea of trailering
an EV that far, from Colorado, is somewhat hard to justify.

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM, David Chapman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nope didn't see Otmar, was looking for him and really sorry I missed ya
> Corbin! In the spirit of "what happens on the playa..." Mr. X can identify
> himself or not as he wishes. I think the EVDL BRC meetup is a great idea,
> maybe in 2013 we can organize an EVDL theme camp? The number of electric
> drive art cars was probably up in the high 90% + range! And lots of solar
> resources. Totally amazing amount of creativity. Dach.
>

> ________________________________

Otmar
I was there as I often am. I usually stay at Math Camp which of course is located at 3:14159 and e. Usually I figure BM to be a totally different circle of people than EV's, I guess I'm learning.
This year I did not bring my electric tricycle  but I did meet someone driving a converted VW Thing across the street at VW Bus camp.
-Otmar-

914 EV, California Poppy, Zilla research vehicle.
http://evcl.com/914/

The Zilla factory is at:
http://manzanitamicro.com/

Zilla Support is still at:
http://cafeelectric.com/Ssupport.php

Re: OT: Surreal Burning Man EVDL experience!!

Mariana
Should definitely organize a meet up there next year.  I met quite a few hardcore EV people at BM, even Chris Paine was there this year.  I was at 7:30 & J, had a great burn.

Re: OT: Surreal Burning Man EVDL experience!!

David Chapman-9
Dang Otmar, I was fairly close at 5 and Alyssyum. In fact I rode right by Math camp a couple times heading for the phone booth. Probably part of the problem was that you were not a female naked to the waste doing some kind of math problem on a whiteboard. That would probably have gotten my attention. Dach.

http://galleries.burningman.com/photos/elementfive/elementfive.13434?owner=elementfive

-----