Old GE 9" motor source ideas?

J Bills
Hi all - in the midst of an Electravan reboot project and have found out
that the armature is fried on the current motor.  Had hoped it was just a
brush replacement but oh wow, you should have seen the windings and junk
falling out from the bell housing when we pulled it apart.

Would ideally like to attempt to source one of these old motors before
looking into a Warp 9 or other modern replacement, since the adapter plate
and everything is still perfectly usable.  And it wasn't a half bad motor,
when not abused!

Does anyone have any ideas for where one of these old beasts might be
sitting around?  Or contacts that might know?

It's model no 5BT1346B38

apparently GE donated quite a few to schools and universities for research
projects, in addition to it's duty as a forklift motor or whatever it was.

Thanks for any tips.

Re: Old GE 9" motor source ideas?

Cor van de Water
Jim Husted?
Or scout local "Craigslist" for scrap forklifts?
Or visit a forklift maintenance place to see if
they have a used motor for sale?
Possibly EV tradin Post?

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Re: Old GE 9" motor source ideas?

J Bills
Thanks Cor.

It might help my cause to know what forklift might have commonly used that
old GE motor.
Have any of you seen that old "Jet" motor on a forklift out in the wild?
No amount of googling turns up anything by the motor model # or anything.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Cor van de Water <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jim Husted?
> Or scout local "Craigslist" for scrap forklifts?
> Or visit a forklift maintenance place to see if
> they have a used motor for sale?
> Possibly EV tradin Post?
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
> Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

brucedp5
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/ge-motor-74720.html
Ask on that DIY forum

http://www.meparts.net/products/GE/GEMotors/GE_Motors_Section_09_DCMotors.pdf
www.gemotors.com • 800-541-7191

These drivers may know of a source
http://www.evalbum.com/4180
http://www.evalbum.com/1010

I am sure there are other motor stores than this one
http://www.emotorstore.com/product.asp_Q_brandID_E_1_A_catID_E_7_

And there are places that refurb/repair motors too.
The nedra.com folk have been known to have someone rework their motors,
you could ask them for refurb sources.

According to
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13294792/ElectraVan-Parts-Catalog
a Prestolite MTC4001 would work too.
-The Escort Wgn I had that Green Motor Works (now defunct) built, used a
Prestolite that had a thermostatically controlled blower fan to ensure
it kept cool. Good performance with a light motor on an EV conversion
that is heavier than an Electravan.

IMO There is going to be a point of diminishing returns when replacement
parts become scarce. I suggest you also look at what current technology
is available, and see if it is within your budget to use today's EV
components.
-Example: if I still had my S-10 Blazer and it had motor issues, I would
explore what AC motor and controller I could upgrade to. I would gain
regen that I could use to not only add to the range, but the added
dynamic braking that saves the life of my brake pads & shoes, but also
would be safer when coming down out of the mountains I had climbed. Map
of route I liked
http://goo.gl/maps/LFFTs

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 03:41 PM, J Bills wrote:

> Hi all - in the midst of an Electravan reboot project and have found out
> that the armature is fried on the current motor.  Had hoped it was just a
> brush replacement but oh wow, you should have seen the windings and junk
> falling out from the bell housing when we pulled it apart.
>
> Would ideally like to attempt to source one of these old motors before
> looking into a Warp 9 or other modern replacement, since the adapter
> plate
> and everything is still perfectly usable.  And it wasn't a half bad
> motor,
> when not abused!
>
> Does anyone have any ideas for where one of these old beasts might be
> sitting around?  Or contacts that might know?
>
> It's model no 5BT1346B38
>
> apparently GE donated quite a few to schools and universities for
> research
> projects, in addition to it's duty as a forklift motor or whatever it
> was.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
-

{brucedp.150m.com}

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - mmm... Fastmail...

Re: Old GE 9" motor source ideas?

Jeff Major
Hi J,

A lot of fork trucks use(d) the GE 9 inch in various configurations.  None would have the same shaft and end plate as the Jet Ind version.  How was you motor damaged?  Overspeed?  I happen to have a MTC-4001 Prestolite motor which fits the Electravan.  It is NIB, new in box.  Willing to sell it.

Jeff M.

________________________________
It might help my cause to know what forklift might have commonly used that
old GE motor.
Have any of you seen that old "Jet" motor on a forklift out in the wild?
No amount of googling turns up anything by the motor model # or anything.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Cor van de Water <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jim Husted?
> Or scout local "Craigslist" for scrap forklifts?
> Or visit a forklift maintenance place to see if
> they have a used motor for sale?
> Possibly EV tradin Post?
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
> Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Jim Phillips-3
Hey,

I have most of the electrical goodies out of two 36v Caterpillar
forklifts.  Including the huge series drive motors (14" 240 lbs ??) and
the hydraulic pump motors which seem to be compound wound (series AND
shunt).  I don't know what to do with these.  My health won't support
any heavy or long term projects, and I am partial to AC induction motors
anyway.  I'm kind of just looking for a good home for them.  They are
pretty dirty but I think functional.  I am in Iowa, if anyone is
interested e-mail me and we can see what to do.

Jim Phillips

On 3/5/2013 5:59 PM, Cor van de Water wrote:

> Jim Husted?
> Or scout local "Craigslist" for scrap forklifts?
> Or visit a forklift maintenance place to see if
> they have a used motor for sale?
> Possibly EV tradin Post?
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
> Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Don Bradley
Hi J,
        Looks similar to the number on the GE motor used on the Bradley GTE.
You might try the BradleyGT Forum:

http://bradleygt.proboards.com/

Don

On 3/5/2013 3:41 PM, J Bills wrote:

> Hi all - in the midst of an Electravan reboot project and have found out
> that the armature is fried on the current motor.  Had hoped it was just a
> brush replacement but oh wow, you should have seen the windings and junk
> falling out from the bell housing when we pulled it apart.
>
> Would ideally like to attempt to source one of these old motors before
> looking into a Warp 9 or other modern replacement, since the adapter plate
> and everything is still perfectly usable.  And it wasn't a half bad motor,
> when not abused!
>
> Does anyone have any ideas for where one of these old beasts might be
> sitting around?  Or contacts that might know?
>
> It's model no 5BT1346B38
>
> apparently GE donated quite a few to schools and universities for research
> projects, in addition to it's duty as a forklift motor or whatever it was.
>
> Thanks for any tips.

Don Bradley
PO Box 141
Forestville, Ca. 95436

Maker of Signal Generators for Chladni Plate Tuning

Re: Old GE 9" motor source ideas?

David Chapman-9
Hi Jim,
I would love to have the two large series motors but I am afraid shipping cost would exceed my interest. That said, if you find someone that is interested in them and need a shipper I would recommend "Engines Direct" if you have a branch near you. I found them a couple months ago and they have been awesome for shipping large/heavy items. Also "U-ship" if you are willing to do the leg work. Good luck, Dach.

________________________________
I have most of the electrical goodies out of two 36v Caterpillar
forklifts.  Including the huge series drive motors (14" 240 lbs ??) and
the hydraulic pump motors which seem to be compound wound (series AND
shunt).  I don't know what to do with these.  My health won't support
any heavy or long term projects, and I am partial to AC induction motors
anyway.  I'm kind of just looking for a good home for them.  They are
pretty dirty but I think functional.  I am in Iowa, if anyone is
interested e-mail me and we can see what to do.

Jim Phillips

On 3/5/2013 5:59 PM, Cor van de Water wrote:

> Jim Husted?
> Or scout local "Craigslist" for scrap forklifts?
> Or visit a forklift maintenance place to see if
> they have a used motor for sale?
> Possibly EV tradin Post?
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
> Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Tom Keenan
I have a GE 9" motor in my EV.  Here is the data plate info:

GE Motor Label
BB11346B47
HP 22.74
Series