Old photo - anyone know about this old (1901) electric bus in NYC?

Old photo - anyone know about this old (1901) electric bus in NYC?

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
(At least I *think* it's electric...)

I had the chance to drive a 94 year-old family friend in the ForkenSwift
yesterday - her first ride in an electric car.  ("It's so quiet!", "It
runs just on electricity from the batteries?", "How far can you drive?")

When we got to her home, she pointed to a picture on the wall: "That's
my mother riding in an electric car in New York City".

The picture shows an open 20 passenger (plus driver) sight-seeing bus
from the Hotel Bartholdi.  It appears to be direct chain drive from an
electric motor to the right rear double wheel (solid tires).

I've posted pictures of various sizes and a few more details at the
following link, if anyone wants to have a look:

http://tinyurl.com/1901-ev-bus

cheers-
Darin

http://forkenswift.com
http://www.evalbum.com/1146

Re: Old photo - anyone know about this old (1901) electric bus in NYC?

Justin 'Dj' Scott
Darin,

I find it interesting that even in 1901, an electric sight-seeing bus was named "Green Car Sight Seeing Service".  Talk about ahead of their time.

Thanks for sharing. :D

cheers,
dj

Darin @ forkenswift dot com(darin) wrote:

> (At least I *think* it's electric...)
>
> I had the chance to drive a 94 year-old family friend in the ForkenSwift
> yesterday - her first ride in an electric car.  ("It's so quiet!", "It
> runs just on electricity from the batteries?", "How far can you drive?")
>
> When we got to her home, she pointed to a picture on the wall: "That's
> my mother riding in an electric car in New York City".
>
> The picture shows an open 20 passenger (plus driver) sight-seeing bus
> from the Hotel Bartholdi.  It appears to be direct chain drive from an
> electric motor to the right rear double wheel (solid tires).
>
> I've posted pictures of various sizes and a few more details at the
> following link, if anyone wants to have a look:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/1901-ev-bus
>
> cheers-
> Darin
>
> http://forkenswift.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/1146

Re: Old photo - anyone know about this old (1901) electric bus in NYC?

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
For anyone reading this thread...

Darin at- forkenswift.com wrote
(At least I *think* it's electric...)
It *was* electric.

An Ottawa EV Association member with better search skills than mine found these:

There is another photo of one like it (same company) at
http://www.cthistoryonline.org/cdm-cho/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/cho&CISOPTR=4195&CISOBOX=1&REC=3

and yet another from the fleet at

http://www.historybroker.com/stuff/407a1f.htm

also on e-bay look up item # 150245997260