On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

hi-tech
If the EV was parked, or rolling downhill a wind turbine could be used to top up the battery pack.

Don't you think.?

It could be designed so that air bypass the turbine when the battery pack is being used to move the EV, so no dragging effect.

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

Daniel Busby
Sure, but I doubt it'd be worth the money or man-power that would
require to make it happen.

Do some rough estimations based on how much power comes off a wind
turbine at ground level and you'll see why.

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM, hi-tech <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If the EV was parked, or rolling downhill a wind turbine could be used to top
> up the battery pack.
>
> Don't you think.?
>
> It could be designed so that air bypass the turbine when the battery pack is
> being used to move the EV, so no dragging effect.

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

gottdi
Top off? No. Put some meager amount back in? Sure but it would be very little unless it was a really really really long hill and even at that it would not put much back as the time involved would be short and you'd have to have your generator provide enough voltage to charge. Some little 24 volt 1/2 amp sort of wind mill thing would not do the job. Unless of course your pack was 24 volts or something like that. It's not that it can't be done to put a little back in but the expense at doing such would be just crazy. It's hard enough to find room for your batteries let alone a wind generator.

Never understood your thinking. More like a .............. if you ask me.

Pete :)
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

My brother has a wind generator that drops down below his aircraft which is
use as back up if power is lost.  These are call Aircraft Wind Generators
which are use on some light and all large aircraft.

I think you have to go over 100 mph to make it work.  These are very stream
line and has a variable pitch prop.

> If the EV was parked, or rolling downhill a wind turbine could be used to
> top
> up the battery pack.
>
> Don't you think.?
>
> It could be designed so that air bypass the turbine when the battery pack
> is
> being used to move the EV, so no dragging effect.

> Nabble.com.

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

David Chapman-9
ECM aux power pods..Need lots of airflow to turn them but more importantly cool them. DC.

________________________________

> If the EV was parked, or rolling downhill a wind turbine could be used to
> top
> up the battery pack.
>
> Don't you think.?
>
> It could be designed so that air bypass the turbine when the battery pack
> is
> being used to move the EV, so no dragging effect.

> Nabble.com.

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

Robert MacDowell-2
On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM, hi-tech <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If the EV was parked, or rolling downhill a wind turbine could be used to
> top
> up the battery pack.
>
> Don't you think.?
>
> It could be designed so that air bypass the turbine when the battery pack
> is
> being used to move the EV, so no dragging effect.

Oh no... lots of dragging effect.  A feathered blade isn't zero drag, it's
zero torque.   Big difference.   The tower would induce aerodynamic drag,
and I think it would be a net lose for most folks' driving and wind-exposure
patterns.

You would have to find a way to knock it down and stow it inside the
aerodynamic envelope of the vehicle.  Maybe some sort of thing you assemble
on the ground and tilt up.   Have tubes inside the carbody running down the
former driveshaft tunnel in which you stow the parts.

Also it would have to be high enough, because some idiot WOULD try to stick
their hand in the swept area of the blades, and get his knuckles lacerated
and want to sue.  So bottom of blade sweep would need to be high enough.
You don't need to worry about them climbing on your car to do that; if
they're *that* actively trying to injure themselves, they'll lose in court.
Maybe a 2-segment tower assembled on the ground and tilted upward and
locked.

I would recommend a 2-blade turbine, so the blade can be built and stowed as
a single unit;  that way you don't have a problem with blade throw.  I would
forget about feathering the blades; KISS.

Robert

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

Rush Dougherty

> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM, hi-tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If the EV was parked, or rolling downhill a wind turbine could be used to
>> top
>> up the battery pack.

Or maybe like this

http://knol.google.com/k/-/-/3u3fmcr5dtjgo/nw3suj/car-with-windmill-extended-2.jpg

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

Lawrence Rhodes
This has been done with very good results.  PV is no match for wind.  However
that being said if you could drop a turbine into moving water you get a 10 fold
advantage over wind.  Lawrence Rhodes.......

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

Dave Hymers
Or you could build one of these...

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/06/downwind-faster-than-the-wind/

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

hi-tech
Lawrence,

"PV is no match for wind."

who mentioned PV? i missed that bit
not that want anyone to hijack this thread...

"Howeverthat being said if you could drop a turbine into moving water you get a 10 fold
advantage over wind. "

for sure energy density in much greater, but,

am i contributing to a hijack?

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

Doug Weathers

On May 6, 2011, at 4:23 PM, hi-tech wrote:

> If the EV was parked, or rolling downhill a wind turbine could be used to top
> up the battery pack.

Of course!

Peter Perkins did this a number of years ago on his Solar Van.  The website has been deleted but is still available on the Wayback Machine:

<http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20080521031035/www.solarvan.co.uk/wind.htm>

He claimed that the combination of his wind turbine and the solar panels on the top of the van were able to fully recharge the van in one day.

The turbine was only erected when the vehicle was parked, never when it was in motion.
--
Doug Weathers
http://www.gdunge.com

Re: On board wind turbine, top up batt pack

hi-tech
Doug,

great info, i knew i'm not crazy.  am i?