Open EVSE Build Day - Alameda (May 18)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Open EVSE Build Day - Alameda (May 18)

Tom Keenan
In case any list members live in the San Francisco Bay Area, the East Bay
chapter of the EAA will be hosting a build day for the Open EVSE Project.

 

Sam Lipton presented the Open EVSE Project last month at the EBEAA monthly
meeting.  Several people said they were interested in building one, and I am
making a list of persons so we can have all the parts, etc. there during the
build day on May 18th in Alameda from 10 AM to Noon.

 

For reference, here is the link to the Open EVSE Project:

 

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/OpenEVSE_Plus_spec

 

The basic board with an LCD and clock is about $180.  One type of enclosure
that some people use (Carlon E987R junction box) is about $16 on line.  You
will also need to supply a J1772 plug and cord set (to plug into the
vehicle) and a cord for the AC supply, and a few other misc. parts. The
total price should be roughly $350 - $450 depending on how you want to
configure the kit.  This is about half the cost of a low-end
commercially-built EVSE, and about a quarter the cost of a high-end device.
The Open EVSE kit has been used successfully to charge a Tesla roadster @ 70
amps (16.8 kW) and a number of the new crop of EVs currently on the market.
See the Open EVSE page for additional detail.

 

I will be building a kit during the build day on May 18th, but need to know
how many others will be there to ensure we have enough tools and room for
the entire group.  If you intend to build an Open EVSE, and would like to
attend the Bay Area Open EVSE Build Day on May 18th, please respond via
email so I can put your name on the list.  Parts, etc. will be ordered in
March to ensure the parts arrive on time for the May build date.

 

Have a great week!

 

Tom Keenan

President

East Bay Electric Auto Association

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20130219/0e4060ba/attachment.htm>
_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open EVSE Build Day - Alameda (May 18)

Rush Dougherty
Tom and all,

In order to help keep the EVSE build costs down, I'm willing to give a good
discount to my Plugs and cord for a quantity order, shipped to one location.

Contact me offline for more.

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of Tom Keenan
> Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:27 PM
> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
> Subject: [EVDL] Open EVSE Build Day - Alameda (May 18)
>
> In case any list members live in the San Francisco Bay Area, the East Bay
> chapter of the EAA will be hosting a build day for the Open EVSE Project.
>
>
>
> Sam Lipton presented the Open EVSE Project last month at the EBEAA
> monthly meeting.  Several people said they were interested in building
> one, and I am making a list of persons so we can have all the parts, etc.
there

> during the build day on May 18th in Alameda from 10 AM to Noon.
>
>
>
> For reference, here is the link to the Open EVSE Project:
>
>
>
> http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/OpenEVSE_Plus_spec
>
>
>
> The basic board with an LCD and clock is about $180.  One type of
enclosure
> that some people use (Carlon E987R junction box) is about $16 on line.
You
> will also need to supply a J1772 plug and cord set (to plug into the
> vehicle) and a cord for the AC supply, and a few other misc. parts. The
total
> price should be roughly $350 - $450 depending on how you want to
> configure the kit.  This is about half the cost of a low-end
commercially-built
> EVSE, and about a quarter the cost of a high-end device.
> The Open EVSE kit has been used successfully to charge a Tesla roadster @
> 70 amps (16.8 kW) and a number of the new crop of EVs currently on the
> market.
> See the Open EVSE page for additional detail.
>
>
>
> I will be building a kit during the build day on May 18th, but need to
know
> how many others will be there to ensure we have enough tools and room
> for the entire group.  If you intend to build an Open EVSE, and would like
to
> attend the Bay Area Open EVSE Build Day on May 18th, please respond via
> email so I can put your name on the list.  Parts, etc. will be ordered in
March

> to ensure the parts arrive on time for the May build date.
>
>
>
> Have a great week!
>
>
>
> Tom Keenan
>
> President
>
> East Bay Electric Auto Association
>
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-
> evdl.org/attachments/20130219/0e4060ba/attachment.htm>
> _______________________________________________
> UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
> For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA
> (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2013.0.2899 / Virus Database: 2639/6102 - Release Date: 02/13/13


_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open EVSE Build Day - Alameda (May 18)

Martin WINLOW
In reply to this post by Tom Keenan
Nice, Tom!

I hope you get a good response and that it all goes well for everyone who takes part.

Meanwhile, here in the UK the G'ment has just announced that it'll take care of 75% of the cost of installing EVSE in both private and public domains.  For how long is another question but I gather theres a £10m pot for this.  I have to say they do seem quite committed to ushering in the EV Era but it doesn't appear to be terribly well planned - on a national basis, at least.  

For example, as far as running the public EVSEs is concerned there are several regions in the UK each running its own EVSE access scheme (all using some form of RFID card to open the chargers) and each choosing from one of about 6 different equipment makers.  Until very recently each scheme was incompatible with the others so that if you lived in one region and worked in an other (like virtually all the people that commute into London every day - 2 million?+) you had to be a member of two schemes - quite possibly three if you also lived near an outer regional boundary.

Anyway, as I say, things are moving along apace here, EVly speaking.  With the launch of the Renault Zoe (pronounced 'Zoey', BTW!) in July it'll be interesting to see how many people actually start buying EVs as the price barrier will effectively disappear.  Added to that is the launch of the Smart (Mercedes) EVD or whatever they are going to finally call it.  Similar in pricing to the Zoe but somewhat cheaper battery rental at £50 instead of the Zoe's £70.  I'm off to see my Renault dealer to discuss the Zoe later today and will report my findings - should anyone be in the remotest bit interested.

On a related note, I read that New York is going to install some 10k EVSEs soon.  I added a comment to the article suggesting that rather than install them willy-nilly they offer existing EV owners the option of having one installed where it would most suit them (within reason).  That way they would encourage EV ownership generally by providing EV owners a useful facility (as well as a pretty much guaranteed parking space - for a while at least) as well as having EVs noticeably charging on a street 'near you'.  It would also avoid the otherwise likely scenario of having loads of empty EV-only parking spaces annoying ICE drivers.

What think the list to this idea?  If no-one can think of a reason why it wouldn't work I might suggest it to my local EVSE organizations as a general policy when deciding where to put EVSEs in the future.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk


On 19 Feb 2013, at 23:27, Tom Keenan wrote:

In case any list members live in the San Francisco Bay Area, the East Bay
chapter of the EAA will be hosting a build day for the Open EVSE Project.

Sam Lipton presented the Open EVSE Project last month at the EBEAA monthly
meeting.  Several people said they were interested in building one, and I am
making a list of persons so we can have all the parts, etc. there during the
build day on May 18th in Alameda from 10 AM to Noon.

For reference, here is the link to the Open EVSE Project:
http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/OpenEVSE_Plus_spec

Tom Keenan

President

East Bay Electric Auto Association

_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open EVSE Build Day - Alameda (May 18)

EVDL Administrator
On 20 Feb 2013 at 8:35, Martin WINLOW wrote:

>  I'm off to see my Renault dealer to discuss the Zoe later today and
> will report my findings - should anyone be in the remotest bit
> interested.

That would be interesting.  Please do.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not
reach me.  To send a private message, please obtain my
email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open EVSE Build Day - Alameda (May 18)

brucedp5
In reply to this post by Martin WINLOW
Since EVSE newswire posts do not get many read hits, I queued the UK Gov
home EVSE purchase program for later. But because you posted about it, I
have bumped it up. See

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-75-of-home-EVSE-cost-paid-by-the-UK-government-tp4661443.html
EVLN: 75% of home EVSE cost paid by the UK government


{brucedp.150m.com}



-
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 12:35 AM, Martin WINLOW wrote: ...

> Meanwhile, here in the UK the G'ment has just announced that it'll take
> care of 75% of the cost of installing EVSE in both private and public
> domains.  For how long is another question but I gather theres a £10m pot
> for this.  I have to say they do seem quite committed to ushering in the
> EV Era but it doesn't appear to be terribly well planned - on a national
> basis, at least.  
>
> For example, as far as running the public EVSEs is concerned there are
> several regions in the UK each running its own EVSE access scheme (all
> using some form of RFID card to open the chargers) and each choosing from
> one of about 6 different equipment makers.  Until very recently each
> scheme was incompatible with the others so that if you lived in one
> region and worked in an other (like virtually all the people that commute
> into London every day - 2 million?+) you had to be a member of two
> schemes - quite possibly three if you also lived near an outer regional
> boundary.
>
> Anyway, as I say, things are moving along apace here, EVly speaking.
> With the launch of the Renault Zoe (pronounced 'Zoey', BTW!) in July
> it'll be interesting to see how many people actually start buying EVs as
> the price barrier will effectively disappear.  Added to that is the
> launch of the Smart (Mercedes) EVD or whatever they are going to finally
> call it.  Similar in pricing to the Zoe but somewhat cheaper battery
> rental at £50 instead of the Zoe's £70.  I'm off to see my Renault dealer
> to discuss the Zoe later today and will report my findings - should
> anyone be in the remotest bit interested.
>
> On a related note, I read that New York is going to install some 10k
> EVSEs soon.  I added a comment to the article suggesting that rather than
> install them willy-nilly they offer existing EV owners the option of
> having one installed where it would most suit them (within reason).  That
> way they would encourage EV ownership generally by providing EV owners a
> useful facility (as well as a pretty much guaranteed parking space - for
> a while at least) as well as having EVs noticeably charging on a street
> 'near you'.  It would also avoid the otherwise likely scenario of having
> loads of empty EV-only parking spaces annoying ICE drivers. ��
>
> What think the list to this idea?  If no-one can think of a reason why it
> wouldn't work I might suggest it to my local EVSE organizations as a
> general policy when deciding where to put EVSEs in the future.
-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Accessible with your email software
                          or over the web

_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open EVSE Build Day - Alameda (May 18)

tomw
In reply to this post by Tom Keenan
Hi Tom,

I am interested in attending.  Do I use the contact for further info on your chapter's website to pursue it:
...@eaaev.org?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open EVSE Build Day - Alameda (May 18)

Don Bradley
In reply to this post by Tom Keenan
Hi Tom,
        I'm interested in building the Open EVSE during the build day.

        Thanks,

        Don

On 2/19/2013 3:27 PM, Tom Keenan wrote:

> In case any list members live in the San Francisco Bay Area, the East Bay
> chapter of the EAA will be hosting a build day for the Open EVSE Project.
>
>
>
> Sam Lipton presented the Open EVSE Project last month at the EBEAA monthly
> meeting.  Several people said they were interested in building one, and I am
> making a list of persons so we can have all the parts, etc. there during the
> build day on May 18th in Alameda from 10 AM to Noon.
>
>
>
> For reference, here is the link to the Open EVSE Project:
>
>
>
> http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/OpenEVSE_Plus_spec
>
>
>
> The basic board with an LCD and clock is about $180.  One type of enclosure
> that some people use (Carlon E987R junction box) is about $16 on line.  You
> will also need to supply a J1772 plug and cord set (to plug into the
> vehicle) and a cord for the AC supply, and a few other misc. parts. The
> total price should be roughly $350 - $450 depending on how you want to
> configure the kit.  This is about half the cost of a low-end
> commercially-built EVSE, and about a quarter the cost of a high-end device.
> The Open EVSE kit has been used successfully to charge a Tesla roadster @ 70
> amps (16.8 kW) and a number of the new crop of EVs currently on the market.
> See the Open EVSE page for additional detail.
>
>
>
> I will be building a kit during the build day on May 18th, but need to know
> how many others will be there to ensure we have enough tools and room for
> the entire group.  If you intend to build an Open EVSE, and would like to
> attend the Bay Area Open EVSE Build Day on May 18th, please respond via
> email so I can put your name on the list.  Parts, etc. will be ordered in
> March to ensure the parts arrive on time for the May build date.
>
>
>
> Have a great week!
>
>
>
> Tom Keenan
>
> President
>
> East Bay Electric Auto Association
>
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20130219/0e4060ba/attachment.htm>
> _______________________________________________
> UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
> For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)
>
>

--
Don Bradley
PO Box 141
Forestville, Ca. 95436

Maker of Signal Generators for Chladni Plate Tuning
_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Open EVSE Build Day - Alameda (May 18)

jjohnson
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by Tom Keenan
Hello,

Im interested in joining.  I have had a kit sitting around now for awhile and haven't set a side the time to put it together.  Where do I sign up?

Thanks,
Jimmy