Open Source Controls

Bruce Lawton
I'm writing to gauge the level of interest in some custom controls for conversions. I am creating some for my own conversion and would like it to benefit others. Here's a brief description of the functions and components.

The system provides an iPhone/iTouch to serve as a touch screen providing display of data and control of various features. It will ...
- display data from the main controller (e.g. Soliton), the BMS (mine is RCEV from HiPower), sensors and GPS. The sensors include 1-wire temperature and possibly 12V bus voltage and amps (hall effect).
- provide a safety interlock to prevent driving away while charging power is present
- display Reachable Places on a map or in a list. This is AH to distance, then current loc compared to favorite places.
- display pack battery stats from BMS
- provide estimated time until charge completion
- provide scheduled comfort heat or A/C while plugged in
- possibly play external audio for pedestrians
- possibly handle show lights

The heart of the hardware is an Arduino Mega 2560 with an Ethernet shield. It plugs into a hub, along with the Soliton and a WiFi router. The iPhone/iTouch communicates via WiFi. This is working surprisingly well despite whatever RF is present in motion. The GPS uses TTL serial connected to the Arduino.

The system is not meant to be limited to Soliton, HiPower or any other brand or model, although the Soliton is especially nice for this.

I have no interest in selling this mainly because I do not want to be legally liable or obliged to provide advanced technical support to non-technical people. However, I'm glad to help people who can solder and compile software.

The system is at least couple of months away from being presentable. Is there anyone else interested in trying this out?

Bruce

Re: Open Source Controls

rodhower
Bruce,
You may want to post this to the EVtech list,
evtech at mailman.evtech.org
http://www.evtech.org/
There are many engineers and technically inclined people on that list that have
designed similar
gadgets, including motor controls and chargers.
Rod

Re: Open Source Controls

Jeffrey Jenkins
Bruce Lawton wrote
The system is at least couple of months away from being presentable. Is there anyone else interested in trying this out?

Bruce
This sounds like an excellent little product. You might want to post about it on the DIY forums as there seem to be a lot more Soliton users over there than here.

Re: Open Source Controls

Marco Gaxiola
Bruce,

        I recently converted a 2012 NISSAN March into EV and thinking on
doing a similar thing just like you. On fist instance I taught about using
an android Smartphone or tablet, but I think platform (android, iOS) it's
not the big problem, the issue is connecting all hardware, reading and
controlling what software on device is running.

        Count with me personally and also with my company ability to
prototype and help you in all the electronics and firmware things. I have
too, some special characteristics I want to have monitored and controlled on
my EV MARCH that we may discuss and collaborate together. On my side, I can
help you design and manufacture small runs of PCB boards including 1206 and
.20mils pitch surface mount devices, can write Microchip based multi-threads
code, can specify all BOM, enclosures, wiring and harnesses, etc.

Ing. Marco Gaxiola
Futuro Inteligente - CEO/Director
http://www.futurointeligente.com/en
https://www.facebook.com/FuturoInteligente
My Conversion:
https://www.facebook.com/EvMarch

people on that list that have designed similar gadgets, including motor
controls and chargers.
Rod

Re: Open Source Controls

gary krysztopik-3
Absolutely.  I have an Arduino with a color touch screen and CAN shield.  I
also just ordered a few DigiSparks with enclosure, LCD, relay shields, etc.

Gary

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Bruce Lawton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm writing to gauge the level of interest in some custom controls for
> conversions. I am creating some for my own conversion and would like it to
> benefit others. Here's a brief description of the functions and components.
>
> The system provides an iPhone/iTouch to serve as a touch screen providing
> display of data and control of various features. It will ...
> - display data from the main controller (e.g. Soliton), the BMS (mine is
> RCEV from HiPower), sensors and GPS. The sensors include 1-wire temperature
> and possibly 12V bus voltage and amps (hall effect).
> - provide a safety interlock to prevent driving away while charging power
> is present
> - display Reachable Places on a map or in a list. This is AH to distance,
> then current loc compared to favorite places.
> - display pack battery stats from BMS
> - provide estimated time until charge completion
> - provide scheduled comfort heat or A/C while plugged in
> - possibly play external audio for pedestrians
> - possibly handle show lights
>
> The heart of the hardware is an Arduino Mega 2560 with an Ethernet shield.
> It plugs into a hub, along with the Soliton and a WiFi router. The
> iPhone/iTouch communicates via WiFi. This is working surprisingly well
> despite whatever RF is present in motion. The GPS uses TTL serial connected
> to the Arduino.
>
> The system is not meant to be limited to Soliton, HiPower or any other
> brand or model, although the Soliton is especially nice for this.
>
> I have no interest in selling this mainly because I do not want to be
> legally liable or obliged to provide advanced technical support to
> non-technical people. However, I'm glad to help people who can solder and
> compile software.
>
> The system is at least couple of months away from being presentable. Is
> there anyone else interested in trying this out?
>
> Bruce

Re: Open Source Controls

Edward Cheeseman
Hi Bruce,

We have an Android app in progress - check out:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tumanako/index.php?title=Dashboard

Edward

Begin forwarded message:

On 29/09/2012, at 12:06 AM, Rod Hower wrote:

> Bruce,
> You may want to post this to the EVtech list,
> evtech at mailman.evtech.org
> http://www.evtech.org/
> There are many engineers and technically inclined people on that list that have
> designed similar
> gadgets, including motor controls and chargers.
> Rod

Edward Cheeseman
Electrical Engineer ME(hons)

Re: Open Source Controls

Top EV Racing - Lists
Hi Bruce,

Please keep us posted with this, and add my email address to any alternative correspondence

Michael