PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Bill Dennis
If I turn my PFC-30 up more than about half way, it goes into current limit
mode in less than 2 minutes.  There's plenty of air space around the
charger, the trunk is open, and the temp in my garage is 74F (23C).  Does
anyone else have this problem?  Usually it's not an issue, since I charge at
low current overnight.  But this morning I was out and about, and I wanted
to charge the car again to take it downtown for the evening.

Thanks.

Bill

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Mike Willmon
What pack voltage are you running?  Are you running into a battery side
current limit or a AC line side current limit?  If your pack is reaching
the regulation voltage rather quickly the current will be limited to honor
that voltage regulation.

I've never had the problem but I think that if the charger goes into
thermal cutback you will get the megabright red LED warning light.

Mike

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Bill Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I turn my PFC-30 up more than about half way, it goes into current limit
> mode in less than 2 minutes.  There's plenty of air space around the
> charger, the trunk is open, and the temp in my garage is 74F (23C).  Does
> anyone else have this problem?  Usually it's not an issue, since I charge
> at
> low current overnight.  But this morning I was out and about, and I wanted
> to charge the car again to take it downtown for the evening.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Bill Dennis
Pack isn't reaching its voltage limit.  Cutoff voltage is 124.5V.  PFC-30
goes into current limit even if pack voltage is 121V or 122V.  Yellow limits
light is blinking.  From the PFC-30 manual:

"If the yellow LIMITS LED is blinking, then it is indicating that there is
an over
temperature condition and the charger is in thermal cutback mode."

Bill

What pack voltage are you running?  Are you running into a battery side
current limit or a AC line side current limit?  If your pack is reaching the
regulation voltage rather quickly the current will be limited to honor that
voltage regulation.

I've never had the problem but I think that if the charger goes into thermal
cutback you will get the megabright red LED warning light.

Mike

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Bill Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I turn my PFC-30 up more than about half way, it goes into current
> limit mode in less than 2 minutes.  There's plenty of air space around
> the charger, the trunk is open, and the temp in my garage is 74F
> (23C).  Does anyone else have this problem?  Usually it's not an
> issue, since I charge at low current overnight.  But this morning I
> was out and about, and I wanted to charge the car again to take it
> downtown for the evening.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill

hment.html

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

dave cover-2
Mine does the same thing. Pack voltage 272 nominal. Nicads, 1.2 volts per cell, 227 cells. I charge to around 360 (1.6 vpc). It goes into limit pretty quickly. Current starts around 25 amps, but cuts back. That's just the way it works for me.

Dave

On Jul 27, 2012, at 5:33 PM, "Bill Dennis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pack isn't reaching its voltage limit.  Cutoff voltage is 124.5V.  PFC-30
> goes into current limit even if pack voltage is 121V or 122V.  Yellow limits
> light is blinking.  From the PFC-30 manual:
>
> "If the yellow LIMITS LED is blinking, then it is indicating that there is
> an over
> temperature condition and the charger is in thermal cutback mode."
>
> Bill

Roger Stockton
Bill Dennis wrote:

> Pack isn't reaching its voltage limit.  Cutoff voltage is 124.5V.  PFC-30
> goes into current limit even if pack voltage is 121V or 122V.  Yellow
> limits light is blinking.  From the PFC-30 manual:
>
> "If the yellow LIMITS LED is blinking, then it is indicating that there is
> an over temperature condition and the charger is in thermal cutback mode."

Sounds to me that there are two possibilities:

1. the charger is lying to you

2. it isn't

If the fan(s) are operating normally, and the ambient temperature is moderate (as you've already stated), then it is still possible that the charger could be overheating internally as a result of dust/etc. build-up on internal heatsink fins or devices, or as a result of a heat generating component no longer being fixed firmly to the heat dissipating surface, or degradation of the thermal grease or other heat transfer medium between the device and heatsink.

My first assumption would be that the charger is telling (indicating) the truth, and that something inside is getting hotter than it should be under the circumstances.  I would remove the charger and open it (ensure all caps have fully discharged), and vacuum/clean out any dust bunnies that have accumulated.  You might also check that all devices mounted to heatsinks are securely fastened.  If it continues to indicate overheating after this, it may need a trip back to Manzanita Micro for evaluation and service.

You might want to contact Rich before opening the charger to remove and dust bunnies as he may immediately recognise the overheating-indication-when-there-shouldn't-be-any as a symptom of a known failure mode ("failure" could include dust bunny or loose screw), and either advise you of exactly what to check/correct, or to send the unit in for service.

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

dave cover-2
I should add another comment to my post about my charger cutting back. I'm pretty sure it's acting normal and there's nothing wrong. Mine is an older unit and might not be as sophisticated as newer models. I know Rich has made improvements since mine was produced, and I'm sure they handle heat better now. But mine is doing what it needs to do to live a long life, and I'm good with that. If not, all I have to do is buy a newer model. Trust in the Madman.

Dave

Dave wrote:

> Trust in the Madman.

I think you've just hit on what should be Manzanita Micro's slogan! ;^>

Plasma Boy has "we blow things up so you don't have to", now Rich can have "Trust in the Madman".

(Email Rich to let him know, as I think he's only following the NEDRA list these days.)

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Mike Willmon
Bill when the pack is largely depleted watch the voltage on a meter.  See
if it stays out of current limit say when your pack is at 119v.  Then watch
at what voltage the light starts blinking.   If it stays off until 121v or
so then try adjusting the trim pot up slightly until it goes off.  Then
repeat the trim process until you get it up to 124.5v.   It sounds like its
doing exactly what it should.

Mike
On Jul 27, 2012 1:34 PM, "Bill Dennis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pack isn't reaching its voltage limit.  Cutoff voltage is 124.5V.  PFC-30
> goes into current limit even if pack voltage is 121V or 122V.  Yellow
> limits
> light is blinking.  From the PFC-30 manual:
>
> "If the yellow LIMITS LED is blinking, then it is indicating that there is
> an over
> temperature condition and the charger is in thermal cutback mode."
>
> Bill

what are you turning up? Output voltage?
What is the pack you are using and which
voltage and current is the PFC30 delivering
when you see it go into limit?
It may be normal behavior, it may not,
at this point we have too little info to judge.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Bill Dennis
I'll fire off an email to Rick.  It's rather disappointing to have a charger
billed as capable of 30A that can't even produce 25A at room temperature.

Bill

I should add another comment to my post about my charger cutting back. I'm
pretty sure it's acting normal and there's nothing wrong. Mine is an older
unit and might not be as sophisticated as newer models. I know Rich has made
improvements since mine was produced, and I'm sure they handle heat better
now. But mine is doing what it needs to do to live a long life, and I'm good
with that. If not, all I have to do is buy a newer model. Trust in the
Madman.

Dave

On Jul 27, 2012, at 5:54 PM, Roger Stockton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bill Dennis wrote:
>
>> Pack isn't reaching its voltage limit.  Cutoff voltage is 124.5V.
>> PFC-30 goes into current limit even if pack voltage is 121V or 122V.
>> Yellow limits light is blinking.  From the PFC-30 manual:
>>
>> "If the yellow LIMITS LED is blinking, then it is indicating that
>> there is an over temperature condition and the charger is in thermal
cutback mode."

> Sounds to me that there are two possibilities:
>
> 1. the charger is lying to you
>
> 2. it isn't
>
> If the fan(s) are operating normally, and the ambient temperature is
moderate (as you've already stated), then it is still possible that the
charger could be overheating internally as a result of dust/etc. build-up on
internal heatsink fins or devices, or as a result of a heat generating
component no longer being fixed firmly to the heat dissipating surface, or
degradation of the thermal grease or other heat transfer medium between the
device and heatsink.

> My first assumption would be that the charger is telling (indicating) the
truth, and that something inside is getting hotter than it should be under
the circumstances.  I would remove the charger and open it (ensure all caps
have fully discharged), and vacuum/clean out any dust bunnies that have
accumulated.  You might also check that all devices mounted to heatsinks are
securely fastened.  If it continues to indicate overheating after this, it
may need a trip back to Manzanita Micro for evaluation and service.

> You might want to contact Rich before opening the charger to remove and
dust bunnies as he may immediately recognise the
overheating-indication-when-there-shouldn't-be-any as a symptom of a known
failure mode ("failure" could include dust bunny or loose screw), and either
advise you of exactly what to check/correct, or to send the unit in for
service.

> Cheers,
>
> Roger.

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Bill Dennis
No, I'm referring to the amperage knob.  I don't have a meter on it right
now, but since the knob is at maybe 60-65%, the amps should be somewhere
around 20A or a little higher.  The pack is lithium.  The cutoff voltage is
set at 124.5V, which is about 3.45V/cell.  Pack started out at 118V today.
I consider "halfway" to be when the white marker on the amperage knob is
pointing straight up.

1)  Plugged in charger
2)  Turned on charger breaker with amps down to zero
3)  Slowly turned amp knob past halfway
4)  Pack started charging
5)  Measured voltage at 120.6V
6)  Went inside for 2 or 3 minutes
7)  Came back out to garage to find charger yellow limits LED blinking

This has happened to me in the past whenever I've tried to charge with knob
at much more than half way.

Bill

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Bill Dennis
Mike, I don't understand your instructions.  It's not the blue LED that's
blinking.  It's the yellow current limit LED.  The pack already cuts off at
the correct voltage of 124.5V.  I have the charger dip switches set to have
the PFC-30 stop charging as soon as the voltage set point is reached.  But
this is happening before the blue LED even comes on.

Bill

Bill when the pack is largely depleted watch the voltage on a meter.  See if
it stays out of current limit say when your pack is at 119v.  Then watch
at what voltage the light starts blinking.   If it stays off until 121v or
so then try adjusting the trim pot up slightly until it goes off.  Then
repeat the trim process until you get it up to 124.5v.   It sounds like its
doing exactly what it should.

Mike
On Jul 27, 2012 1:34 PM, "Bill Dennis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pack isn't reaching its voltage limit.  Cutoff voltage is 124.5V.
> PFC-30 goes into current limit even if pack voltage is 121V or 122V.
> Yellow limits light is blinking.  From the PFC-30 manual:
>
> "If the yellow LIMITS LED is blinking, then it is indicating that
> there is an over temperature condition and the charger is in thermal
> cutback mode."
>
> Bill

hment.html

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Bill,
Current limit and pack reaching voltage limit are two entirely
independent things.
Current limit is simply the charger reducing its output current below
the level
that you have chosen, because it cannot deliver the power and stay at a
safe temp
so it limits itself, which only means that you have to wait longer
before the
needed Ahs are put in.
The pack reaching voltage limit happenes towards the end of bulk charge
and this may take a little longer than you expect due to the reduced
charger current, but the voltage limit should not be affected by the
charger
cutting back in current - it will just take longer.

BTW, the name PFC30 means that it is limited to 30A at *either* input or
output,
whichever is greater, right?

Are you incidentally charging with an extension cord at 120V AV?
If the input voltage sags due to high resistance in the AC mains then
it could be that the input 30A is reached (and the charger will get hot)
when it is only drawing for example 90V x 30A = 2700W.
When it delivers current into a 120V DC pack, that means that it will
hardly be able to deliver 22A DC so if you commanded more than 22A
it might show a current limit not from overheating but because AC input
current is the limit?
Or are you charging from 240V AC?

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

What pack voltage are you running?  Are you running into a battery side
current limit or a AC line side current limit?  If your pack is reaching
the regulation voltage rather quickly the current will be limited to
honor that voltage regulation.

I've never had the problem but I think that if the charger goes into
thermal cutback you will get the megabright red LED warning light.

Mike

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Bill Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I turn my PFC-30 up more than about half way, it goes into current
> limit mode in less than 2 minutes.  There's plenty of air space around

> the charger, the trunk is open, and the temp in my garage is 74F
> (23C).  Does anyone else have this problem?  Usually it's not an
> issue, since I charge at low current overnight.  But this morning I
> was out and about, and I wanted to charge the car again to take it
> downtown for the evening.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill

ttac
hment.html

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

You say "this is happening" - do you mean that the charger stops
charging
with the yellow LED blinking, not continuing it charging until it hits
the voltage set point (blue LED)?

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Bill when the pack is largely depleted watch the voltage on a meter.
See if it stays out of current limit say when your pack is at 119v.
Then watch
at what voltage the light starts blinking.   If it stays off until 121v
or
so then try adjusting the trim pot up slightly until it goes off.  Then
repeat the trim process until you get it up to 124.5v.   It sounds like
its
doing exactly what it should.

Mike
On Jul 27, 2012 1:34 PM, "Bill Dennis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pack isn't reaching its voltage limit.  Cutoff voltage is 124.5V.
> PFC-30 goes into current limit even if pack voltage is 121V or 122V.
> Yellow limits light is blinking.  From the PFC-30 manual:
>
> "If the yellow LIMITS LED is blinking, then it is indicating that
> there is an over temperature condition and the charger is in thermal
> cutback mode."
>
> Bill

ttac
hment.html

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Bill Dennis
No, the charger is still charging, but the yellow LED is flashing, meaning
that it has reduced the current due to thermal cutback.

Bill

Bill when the pack is largely depleted watch the voltage on a meter.
See if it stays out of current limit say when your pack is at 119v.
Then watch
at what voltage the light starts blinking.   If it stays off until 121v
or
so then try adjusting the trim pot up slightly until it goes off.  Then
repeat the trim process until you get it up to 124.5v.   It sounds like
its
doing exactly what it should.

Mike
On Jul 27, 2012 1:34 PM, "Bill Dennis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pack isn't reaching its voltage limit.  Cutoff voltage is 124.5V.
> PFC-30 goes into current limit even if pack voltage is 121V or 122V.
> Yellow limits light is blinking.  From the PFC-30 manual:
>
> "If the yellow LIMITS LED is blinking, then it is indicating that
> there is an over temperature condition and the charger is in thermal
> cutback mode."
>
> Bill

ttac
hment.html

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Mike Willmon
Misunderstanding on my part.  Bill said the yellow limit goes flashing.
When mine hits the voltage regulation point the yellow limit light goes
solid.  That's how you adjust the voltage setpoint right.  When the yellow
light comes in solid the charger is limiting current to hold the voltage
constant. But Bill said his limit light was flashing.  So there may be
something wrong. Need to call Madman tomorrow.

Mike
On Jul 27, 2012 3:56 PM, "Cor van de Water" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bill,
> Current limit and pack reaching voltage limit are two entirely
> independent things.
> Current limit is simply the charger reducing its output current below
> the level
> that you have chosen, because it cannot deliver the power and stay at a
> safe temp
> so it limits itself, which only means that you have to wait longer
> before the
> needed Ahs are put in.
> The pack reaching voltage limit happenes towards the end of bulk charge
> and this may take a little longer than you expect due to the reduced
> charger current, but the voltage limit should not be affected by the
> charger
> cutting back in current - it will just take longer.
>
> BTW, the name PFC30 means that it is limited to 30A at *either* input or
> output,
> whichever is greater, right?
>
> Are you incidentally charging with an extension cord at 120V AV?
> If the input voltage sags due to high resistance in the AC mains then
> it could be that the input 30A is reached (and the charger will get hot)
> when it is only drawing for example 90V x 30A = 2700W.
> When it delivers current into a 120V DC pack, that means that it will
> hardly be able to deliver 22A DC so if you commanded more than 22A
> it might show a current limit not from overheating but because AC input
> current is the limit?
> Or are you charging from 240V AC?
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
> Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Boy, I must be explaining things really badly if I'm coming across as not
even knowing the difference between current limit and reaching voltage
limit. :)

I am charging from a 220V outlet over a #8 cord.  Charging is indicating
that it's going into thermal cutback mode, not that it's reaching voltage
set point.

Bill

What pack voltage are you running?  Are you running into a battery side
current limit or a AC line side current limit?  If your pack is reaching the
regulation voltage rather quickly the current will be limited to honor that
voltage regulation.

I've never had the problem but I think that if the charger goes into thermal
cutback you will get the megabright red LED warning light.

Mike

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Bill Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I turn my PFC-30 up more than about half way, it goes into current
> limit mode in less than 2 minutes.  There's plenty of air space around

> the charger, the trunk is open, and the temp in my garage is 74F
> (23C).  Does anyone else have this problem?  Usually it's not an
> issue, since I charge at low current overnight.  But this morning I
> was out and about, and I wanted to charge the car again to take it
> downtown for the evening.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill

ttac
hment.html

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Cor van de Water
OK, that is very clear.
Does the PFC30 have a fan inside?
Could it be that the way it is installed
cause stagnant air inside and heating up
and can you notice the heating up on the outside?
It is possible that the current cutback circuit is
too sensitive, but more likely that it is working
well and there is indeed something getting hotter
than usual...

Success,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

What pack voltage are you running?  Are you running into a battery side
current limit or a AC line side current limit?  If your pack is reaching
the regulation voltage rather quickly the current will be limited to
honor that voltage regulation.

I've never had the problem but I think that if the charger goes into
thermal cutback you will get the megabright red LED warning light.

Mike

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Bill Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I turn my PFC-30 up more than about half way, it goes into current
> limit mode in less than 2 minutes.  There's plenty of air space around

> the charger, the trunk is open, and the temp in my garage is 74F
> (23C).  Does anyone else have this problem?  Usually it's not an
> issue, since I charge at low current overnight.  But this morning I
> was out and about, and I wanted to charge the car again to take it
> downtown for the evening.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill

ttac
hment.html

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

Bill Dennis
It sounds like something must be wrong inside the charger.  There's plenty
of air space around both sides of the PFC-30 (I can post a picture if that
would help) and the trunk is open, so the air probably isn't stagnant.  I
can hear the internal fan running and feel air being sucked in on one end
and expelled out the other.  I've sent an email to Manzanita Micro.

A J1772 charger has recently been installed near where I work, and I've been
hoping to take advantage of it to charger for 1/2 hour during lunch.  But if
I can't put 30A into the pack, it won't do me much more good than the 15A
I'm already getting out of the 120V charge station in town.

Bill

What pack voltage are you running?  Are you running into a battery side
current limit or a AC line side current limit?  If your pack is reaching the
regulation voltage rather quickly the current will be limited to honor that
voltage regulation.

I've never had the problem but I think that if the charger goes into thermal
cutback you will get the megabright red LED warning light.

Mike

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Bill Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I turn my PFC-30 up more than about half way, it goes into current
> limit mode in less than 2 minutes.  There's plenty of air space around

> the charger, the trunk is open, and the temp in my garage is 74F
> (23C).  Does anyone else have this problem?  Usually it's not an
> issue, since I charge at low current overnight.  But this morning I
> was out and about, and I wanted to charge the car again to take it
> downtown for the evening.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill

ttac
hment.html

Re: PFC-30 Goes All Current-Limit on Me

coulomb
Bill Dennis wrote
It's rather disappointing to have a charger
billed as capable of 30A that can't even produce 25A at room temperature.
Remember that the 30 A limit applies to the output AND to the input. If you are charging from 110 VAC, then you are possibly running into effectively the 30 A limit at the input. (The 30 A may well translate to a different AC RMS current at the mains input.) You should get the full 30 A output if you charge from 240 VAC.

My apologies if you're already charging from 240 V.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Manzanita charger, or 110 V mains.
12