Parallel Charging Questions

drdhdmd
I now have a set of 13 Sears PM-1 batteries in the eLectric DeLorean.   I
believe they are the same as the Odyssey PC2150.  Odyssey says you need  to
charge them with at least. 40 amps. ( Interestingly Sears says nothing  about
this. )

My PFC-20B can put out about 25 amps.  I also have 13 Schumacher  chargers
that I use to help balance the pack.

How important is it to charge at "at least 40 amperes"?

What happens if you don't?

Can I use both charging systems at the same time?

How can I test the parallel system in such a way as not to destroy
anything in the process?

Thank  you,

Dave Delman
1981 Electric DeLorean  Project
electricdelorean.com
http://evalbum.com/1482

Re: Parallel Charging Questions

Damien MAguire
I ran a string of ten pc2150s in my car. My charger has a max output of
30amps. They never complained for over a year of use. Charge to an
average of 14.4v per battery on absorbtion phase.

Damien Maguire
www.evbmw.com

On 4/24/2011 3:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I now have a set of 13 Sears PM-1 batteries in the eLectric DeLorean.
> I believe they are the same as the Odyssey PC2150. Odyssey says you
> need to charge them with at least 40 amps... How important is it to
> charge at "at least 40 amperes"? What happens if you don't?

They last longer if at least part of the charge is at a "high" current.
But there is no magic minimum number, and the time at the high charge
rate can be fairly short.

> Can I use both charging systems at the same time?

Yes. The PFC isn't isolated, but the Schumacher chargers should be.

> How can I test the parallel system in such a way as not to destroy
> anything in the process?

Just try one of the Schumachers across one of the batteries while the
PFC is charging. That battery will get charged at the sum of the two
currents from each charger.

Watch for any interaction between the two chargers. Most likely, having
two chargers will raise the battery voltage. Each charger will "think"
the battery is more charged than it is, and so deliver less current and
switch to finish mode earlier.

With "dumb" chargers this usually isn't a problem. But if the chargers
are too "smart", they can wind up arguing with each other about when to
shut off. Watch for anything odd happening when the battery nears full
charge. For example, one of the chargers may switch on/off/on/off
instead of cleanly switching off.