Parasitic plugin PR ...

brucedp5
[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-AAA-sez-go-ahead-make-your-day-go-electric-Worries-overdone-tp4663031.html
EVLN: AAA sez, go ahead make your day, go electric! Worries overdone
]

Is anyone else fed up with AAA's parasitic PR, where they routinely pump out pro-plugin sounding PR, yet if you dig deeper, its all fluff to get their 'AAA' name out there in the public's eye?

Let's go back to the 1990's when the initial EV push began in earnest (before the Automakers' backroom dealing whomped it up side the head for what they hoped was a fatal blown). Did a little this and a little that, but really wasn't much onboard with the movement.

AAA had always been known for 'being there' when a driver needed a tow, putting out travel tips just before major holidays, providing maps ...

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EV-attitudes-tp417234p417241.html
... Even *decades* ago, you could get maps from AAA ...  Sep 07, 2007

and as the price of petrol rose, AAA would announce gas saving tips and where the lower prices were
http://www.zapworld.com/gas-prices-april-2008
... AAA said gas prices are becoming a top priority with consumer surveys ... 04/16/2008

But as posted on the evdl, AAA is more petroleum/ice oriented (they go where the $M are)
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Spot-me-an-amp-hour-tp2259199p2259337.html
... AAA is not very, well, environmental oriented for those of you who care about that (I do) ...  Jun 17, 2010

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/OT-AAA-and-EVs-td420339.html
... I just found out about AAA's lobbying activity ...  Oct 24, 2007

Now, after 2010 (when Production EVs were made available for public purchase), many companies (AAA included) jumped onboard the EV bandwagon to get their share of the PR pie. AAA regularly PR-talks about their emergency EV service truck that would give 5 miles of charge in 20 minutes. But how many of these dirty service trucks really got out across the U.S. (6?, maybe not).

http://gigaom.com/2010/09/13/aaa-for-the-electric-vehicle-crowd/
AAA for the Electric Vehicle Crowd  Sep. 13, 2010

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-archive/2011/06/aaa-to-offer-mobile-charging-for-evs.html
AAA To Offer Mobile Charging For EVs  June 21, 2011

http://sustainablebusinessoregon.com/articles/2012/10/aaa-tests-electric-vehicle-charging-in.html?page=all
AAA tests electric vehicle charging in Oregon  October 24, 2012

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Big-diesel-generators-on-big-dirty-diesel-tow-trucks-assist-EVs-td4224762.html
... dead electric cars being charged by big dirty diesel tow trucks ... Dec 22, 2011

http://www.kplu.org/post/aaas-roadside-service-goes-electric
AAA's roadside service goes electric  March 20, 2013

And now
http://www.exponent-telegram.com/news/press_releases/article_5305d034-be46-11e2-89bf-0019bb2963f4.html
AAA stating the plugin driver can use their online web or smart-phone app 'tools' to find EV charging when planning a trip-ticket. The majority of readers of this AAA PR are not plugin drivers, and they will not check (nor know how to check) if said AAA 'tools' actually help/work. I did, they don't: no EV Charging sites came up on their map even after checking for EV Charging in their options box. So, the only 'tool' here is the public, as we are led around by the PR nose that AAA is on the plugin driver's side.

You know, Its a mixed bag with AAA, some PR smells pro-plugin, and others stink for use as anti- / conservative fodder ...
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/outlook-for-electric-cars-remains-hazy-051013.html
 ... An AAA survey finds that nearly 80% of American consumers say they are "unsure or unlikely" to buy an electric vehicle ...  May 9, 2013

After reading the warning on one of AAA's EV pages
http://exchange.aaa.com/electric-vehicles/aboutaaa/privacy-policy/
... Below is a list of non-volunteered information that will be collected automatically when visiting AAA Electric Vehicles ...
AAA also gets money from data mining as well ...

AAA wears a heavily guised veil as to not show AAA's heavily-made efforts to use their pro-plugin PR to garner mo' money.

{brucedp.150m.com}
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/whomp
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060624175052AA9oder
 ... used like tool ...
http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty/jason.frand/teacher/technologies/palace/datamining.htm

Re: Parasitic plugin PR ...

Cal Frye
Better World Club
http://www.betterworldclub.com/home.cfm

Count me a happy customer.

brucedp5 wrote:
> Is anyone else fed up with AAA's parasitic PR, where they routinely pump out
> pro-plugin sounding PR, yet if you dig deeper, its all fluff to get their
> 'AAA' name out there in the public's eye?

Regards,
-- Cal Frye, www.calfrye.com/MyGEM.html

"Why make the same mistake twice, when there are so many new ones
available?"

Re: Parasitic plugin PR ...

EVDL Administrator
On 16 May 2013 at 13:56, Cal Frye wrote:

> Better World Club

I've used them for years, and am satisfied.  Regrettably, though, the only
thing they can do for you if you run out of range on the highway is tow the
EV.  That's better than nothing, I guess, but it's the proverbial nuclear
flyswatter.  Further, towing is always a bit risky to any vehicle.

I'd like to see them launch a mobile dump-charging service, but I suspect
the demand isn't there yet.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: Parasitic plugin PR ...

John Lussmyer
On Thu May 16 14:54:50 PDT 2013 [hidden email] said:

>I'd like to see them launch a mobile dump-charging service, but I suspect
>the demand isn't there yet.

I believe that is a pilot program here in the Seattle aera.  They now have a "Quick Charge" truck with a big generator driving both lvl2 and 3 charge cables.

--

Bobcats and Cougars, oh my!  http://john.casadelgato.com/Pets

Re: Parasitic plugin PR ...

Dennis Miles
In the Tampa Bay area of Florida, AAA is hauling around a van full of
batteries, not the generator, but the only give a 25%
charge approximately and the alternative is for me a "Roll Back Flat Bed"
as I will not permit dragging my vehicle behind the "HOOK" unfortunately if
you have friends or family with you they only transport the driver with the
car so anyone who was riding in the car with you must take a taxi or call a
friend for a ride. In my part of the world I just call for a flat bed
"Roll-Back with a crew cab, and my car insurance gives me the service six
times per year for less than AAA. (AAA is not unlimited either, only six
calls per year...)

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM, John Lussmyer <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Thu May 16 14:54:50 PDT 2013 [hidden email] said:
> >
> >I'd like to see them launch a mobile dump-charging service, but I suspect
> >the demand isn't there yet.
>
> I believe that is a pilot program here in the Seattle aera.  They now have
> a "Quick Charge" truck with a big generator driving both lvl2 and 3 charge
> cables.
>

> --
>
> Bobcats and Cougars, oh my!  http://john.casadelgato.com/Pets

*     Dennis *(EVprofessor)* Miles*
  *(863)944-9913* (phone noon to midnight E.S.T.)
*    reply to [hidden email]*

Re: Parasitic plugin PR ...

Not that towing EVs is part of your daily commute, so the
once-in-a-blue-moon that you need a tow, I am more concerned
with arriving at a place of my choosing safely than how
efficient the tow truck actually is.
As long as you know the construction of your vehicle, you
will also be able to judge what is safe for it - which are
the driven wheels that need to be lifted (FWD or RWD) although
the tow truck operator usually relies on his vast knowledge
(or a quick look under the vehicle) to determine what he
can or can't do.
Maybe it is just a coincidence - all times that I needed to
transport one of my vehicles, a flatbed came so there was no
question as to how safely to tow it. Only times that I had to
ask myself that question was when I towed one of my own cars
by myself. Either on a U-haul dolly that only lifts one axle,
(so for example my BMW needed to be towed backwards, but the Prius
could simply be pushed onto it forwards) or when flat-towing
(avoiding the freeway so that the speed can stay below 45 MPH
to avoid over-spinning the Prius motors and avoid any issue with
the EV drivetrain spinning)

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

On 16 May 2013 at 13:56, Cal Frye wrote:

> Better World Club

I've used them for years, and am satisfied.  Regrettably, though, the
only
thing they can do for you if you run out of range on the highway is tow
the
EV.  That's better than nothing, I guess, but it's the proverbial
nuclear
flyswatter.  Further, towing is always a bit risky to any vehicle.

I'd like to see them launch a mobile dump-charging service, but I
suspect
the demand isn't there yet.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: Parasitic plugin PR ...

Barry Oppenheim
Getting off topic but....I actually added tow bar connectors to the front frame under the bumper of my Saturn Bye. On two occasions I've used them. Once when an intermittent controller problem left the car dead. And once when the 12v/DC-DC failed.

In both cases I had someone bring my pickup truck and tow bar so I could tow it back home. This isn't the exact one but it looks similar.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007LVGJ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1368793777&sr=1-2&pi=SL75

Our Tesla actually comes with specific flatbed towing instructions. Their is a "jack mode" that the you put the vehicle in to allow towing. This turns off the automatic air suspension leveling.  The suspension also needs to be raised to the highest level.  And the car gets manually powered off to keep in in neutral and not engage the ebrake.

Barry