Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
Hi all -

The Ottawa area EV enthusiasts (http://evco.ca) had their annual EV Expo on the weekend on the grounds of the Science & Technology museum.  Buckets of rain until mid-morning, then a beautiful day.  Lots of interested attendees.

Inspired by pics of the gleaming motors I've seen coming out of Mr Husted's shop, my buddy & I spent the previous week tearing *everything* out of the ForkenSwift's motor bay, cleaning it up (some rust repairs too), and re-painting.

We made it *really* easy to point out the main electric bits...  :D

http://forkenswift.com/offsite/motor-bay-shiny-angle.jpg
http://forkenswift.com/offsite/motor-bay-shiny-above.jpg

On Monday, the Ottawa Citizen ran a nice big, colour photo like these (and some of other vehicles) with a story about the show.

A good time was had by all (esp. when I got to try out other members' EVs at the end of the day!).

cheers-
Darin

http://forkenswift.com
http://www.evalbum.com/1146

Re: Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Hi-Torque Electric

--- On Wed, 6/4/08, Darin at- forkenswift.com <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Inspired by pics of the gleaming motors I've seen
> coming out of Mr Husted's
> shop, my buddy & I spent the previous week tearing
> *everything* out of the
> ForkenSwift's motor bay, cleaning it up (some rust
> repairs too), and
> re-painting.

Hey Darin

What an awesome job!  I'm very impressed (hey want a jod 8^)  I just had to shout out some kudus for the pride of ownership you've given to your baby.  Anyway, you gave me a motor boner 8^o (did I just say that publicly 8^)
You go boy!

Jim Husted
Hi-Torque Electric

Re: Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Mike.B
Yep, Jim you did....... rotflol

I especially like the ALIEN green paint.

--- Jim Husted <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --- On Wed, 6/4/08, Darin at- forkenswift.com
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Inspired by pics of the gleaming motors I've seen
> > coming out of Mr Husted's
> > shop, my buddy & I spent the previous week tearing
> > *everything* out of the
> > ForkenSwift's motor bay, cleaning it up (some rust
> > repairs too), and
> > re-painting.
>
> Hey Darin
>
> What an awesome job!  I'm very impressed (hey want a
> jod 8^)  I just had to shout out some kudus for the
> pride of ownership you've given to your baby.
> Anyway, you gave me a motor boner 8^o (did I just
> say that publicly 8^)
> You go boy!
>
> Jim Husted
> Hi-Torque Electric

Re: Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Jim & Angie

You can be very proud of your hard work Darin, it looks fantastic!!!

> the weekend on the grounds of the Science & Technology museum.  Buckets of
> rain until mid-morning, then a beautiful day.  Lots of interested
> attendees.
>
> Inspired by pics of the gleaming motors I've seen coming out of Mr
> Husted's
> shop, my buddy & I spent the previous week tearing *everything* out of the
> ForkenSwift's motor bay, cleaning it up (some rust repairs too), and
> re-painting.
>
> We made it *really* easy to point out the main electric bits...  :D
>
> http://forkenswift.com/offsite/motor-bay-shiny-angle.jpg
> http://forkenswift.com/offsite/motor-bay-shiny-above.jpg
>
> On Monday, the Ottawa Citizen ran a nice big, colour photo like these (and
> some of other vehicles) with a story about the show.
>
> A good time was had by all (esp. when I got to try out other members' EVs
> at
> the end of the day!).
>
> cheers-
> Darin
>
> http://forkenswift.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/1146

Re: Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Roger Stockton
Darin wrote:

> Inspired by pics of the gleaming motors I've seen coming out
> of Mr Husted's shop, my buddy & I spent the previous week
> tearing *everything* out of the ForkenSwift's motor bay,
> cleaning it up (some rust repairs too), and re-painting.
>
> We made it *really* easy to point out the main electric bits...  :D
>
> http://forkenswift.com/offsite/motor-bay-shiny-angle.jpg
> http://forkenswift.com/offsite/motor-bay-shiny-above.jpg

That is awesome!!  Now, you don't have a picture of a green charger too, do you? ;^>

> A good time was had by all (esp. when I got to try out other
> members' EVs at the end of the day!).

So, do tell... Is ForkenSwift getting a voltage upgrade as a result of your test drive experiences?

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
Jim - let's not get carried away :D.  That "pride of ownership" as you call it didn't extend much past the motor bay.  We had to tape posters on the inside of the windows to try to keep people from seeing inside to the grungiest upholstery this side of a junk yard.  Scratch that: there are definitely cleaner interiors in the junk yard.  (Maybe have that cleaned up by next year).

Roger Stockton wrote
That is awesome!!  Now, you don't have a picture of a green charger too, do you? ;^>
There was in fact an exceedingly lovely yellow+black Delta-Q QuiQ charger in the hatchback, but it's still not properly mounted, so it'll have to wait until next year to get shown off to the crowds.

Come on!  We've only be at this project for about 2 years - can't expect us to do everything at once!  (I also removed the spaghetti dinner of wiring that had been slapped in the car for the LED pack monitor...)

So, do tell... Is ForkenSwift getting a voltage upgrade as a result of your test drive experiences?
Nope.  Honestly, the car does fine as a runabout with 48v & 400A.   (That perception coloured by having started out @ 225A.)

But I did get some envy going on for the Solectria Force owners out there.  I got to try one of the sedans, and it was a slick little number.

Darin

--- On Thu, 6/5/08, Darin at- forkenswift.com <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jim - let's not get carried away :D.  That "pride
> of ownership" as you call
> it didn't extend much past the motor bay.  We had to
> tape posters on the
> inside of the windows to try to keep people from seeing
> inside to the
> grungiest upholstery this side of a junk yard.

Hey Darin

Well, had you not taken than pride of ownership to the motor and motor bay, you'd have had to put a poster inside the hood area as well 8^o  Again, super impressive.
Jim Husted
Hi-Torque Electric

Re: Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Peter M.-2
Very nice looking engine bay there. I'm a huge fan of a nice clean
wiring job... Has to be pretty trickery to make some of the large gauge
power wire behave.

But I just have to ask: So whats the gizmo dead center in the bay that
looks like a work-light?

Roger Stockton wrote:

> Darin wrote:
>

>> Inspired by pics of the gleaming motors I've seen coming out
>> of Mr Husted's shop, my buddy & I spent the previous week
>> tearing *everything* out of the ForkenSwift's motor bay,
>> cleaning it up (some rust repairs too), and re-painting.
>>
>> We made it *really* easy to point out the main electric bits...  :D
>>
>> http://forkenswift.com/offsite/motor-bay-shiny-angle.jpg
>> http://forkenswift.com/offsite/motor-bay-shiny-above.jpg
>>

> That is awesome!!  Now, you don't have a picture of a green charger too, do you? ;^>
>

>> A good time was had by all (esp. when I got to try out other
>> members' EVs at the end of the day!).
>>

> So, do tell... Is ForkenSwift getting a voltage upgrade as a result of your test drive experiences?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger.

Re: Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

wjdennis@qwest.net
That's his precharge light, Peter.  He got it off the forklift.

Bill Dennis

Re: Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Alan Brinkman
Peter,

In the archives I found what the light is for.  I knew I read it
somewhere!  Darin, the owner wrote:

"Yup, that's the pre-charge resistor.  It's one of the
headlight/spotlights from the forklift.  I forget what the exact
resistance value is. It's funny: I know the light is still working
because when I switch on the key at night in a dark place, I can usually
see the beam of light that shines briefly through the gap between the
hood and the bumper onto the pavement ahead (or a wall, or another
vehicle, etc).   A few "bystanders" have noticed it too. :-) cheers-
Darin"

Alan

But I just have to ask: So whats the gizmo dead center in the bay that
looks like a work-light?

Re: Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Peter M.-2
That's funny... I think it needs a blue gel so people really wonder what
kind of "alien" power source is under there :-)

Thanks for digging up this tidbit Alan.

Alan Brinkman wrote:

> Peter,
>
> In the archives I found what the light is for.  I knew I read it
> somewhere!  Darin, the owner wrote:
>
> "Yup, that's the pre-charge resistor.  It's one of the
> headlight/spotlights from the forklift.  I forget what the exact
> resistance value is. It's funny: I know the light is still working
> because when I switch on the key at night in a dark place, I can usually
> see the beam of light that shines briefly through the gap between the
> hood and the bumper onto the pavement ahead (or a wall, or another
> vehicle, etc).   A few "bystanders" have noticed it too. :-) cheers-
> Darin"
>
> Alan

Re: Pics of "show car" ForkenSwift's shiny motor bay

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
"What is that light for?" was one of the most common questions at the EV
expo.  We tried to think of something funny to tell people instead of
just "precharge resistor" ... but failed!  Too much sun on the noggin.

Darin