Pleaston, CA car show June 1, 2011

Cruisin
Should anybody have a interest in putting their car on display for the show on June 1, 2011 from 6-9pm
on main street which will be blocked off to traffic, email me at cruisin@live.com. I would need you to
verify that you will be there and the year and make of car. There is NO charge for this. Should be a lot of fun and a chance to meet others in the EV industry and clubs. No charging available and Generators would have to be the quite kind. There is parking for a tow vehicle.

Re: Pleasanton, CA car show June 1, 2011

Cor van de Water
Hey Al,
Would this be Pleasanton, CA?
Between 580 and 680 Freeways and Livermore,
15 miles east of the San Francisco Bay?

Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

Re: Pleasanton, CA car show June 1, 2011

corbin dunn
Hey Cor - that is the place, Pleasanton, CA - (it was in the title).

If my car had the range I would drive it there...but it is just out of reach. I had talked to Al about towing it, but I haven't picked up a tow bar, and I'm nervous about towing my bug myself.

-corbin

On May 16, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Cor van de Water wrote:

> Hey Al,
> Would this be Pleasanton, CA?
> Between 580 and 680 Freeways and Livermore,
> 15 miles east of the San Francisco Bay?
>
> Regards,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
> Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
> Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

Hi Corbin,
I modified the subject title ;-)
To get to Pleasanton, you could drive to work in the morning,
make sure that you can recharge your bug somehow during the day
and then set off for Pleasanton at the end of the afternoon.
However, this would mean that you need to recharge again before
coming back, so you may end up on someone's couch while the bug
is charging through the night and drive back to work the next
morning. Or spend a few bucks on a Motel6 where you unplug the
AirCo and plug in your bug? I think Motel6 on Hopyard is 2 miles
from downtown.
Another way to avoid staying the night is to tow the bug across
the East-Bay hills back and forth.
While I have a sedan that has enough power to tow another
vehicle across the hills (using a rope - I don't even
know if that is legal today) I am not sure if I can make it
that day, what time I will be off from work, pick you up and
then scoot up 280 and 680, in the evening back until 17.
Also the 680 is *very* busy in the afternoon, so it will not
be a pleasant drive to Pleasanton, but it may be worth it,
I have no experience with this event, I have only been to
Palo Alto EV show and rally.

Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

Hey Cor - that is the place, Pleasanton, CA - (it was in the title).

If my car had the range I would drive it there...but it is just out of
reach. I had talked to Al about towing it, but I haven't picked up a tow
bar, and I'm nervous about towing my bug myself.

-corbin

On May 16, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Cor van de Water wrote:

> Hey Al,
> Would this be Pleasanton, CA?
> Between 580 and 680 Freeways and Livermore,
> 15 miles east of the San Francisco Bay?
>
> Regards,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Director HW & Systems Architecture Group Proxim Wireless Corporation
> http://www.proxim.com
> Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
> Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

gottdi
Plenty of interest but the time for the show and the day for the show kinda sucks. I'd tow my MG there if I were off early enough but no way would I have time to make it there after I got off work. Heck, it would be over by the time I arrived. Corbin. Get a tow bar and just tow it. Don't be afraid to tow it. Be sure you have brake lights and blinkers just like towing a trailer. Be sure your car is in neutral. Don't drive fast and let the speed demons just pass you up. Far easier than spending money on motels and not being sure if you could charge up and the time. It's cheaper to buy the tow bar and lights. If you don't have a vehicle to tow it with then your kinda up the creek unless you have a friend to do it for you. I'd tow mine with the flatbed trailer I have.

Darn, wish it were on another day I was off.

Pete :)
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: Pleasanton, CA car show June 1, 2011

Cor van de Water
One year I could not make it to the Palo Alto EV show and rally
because I had already promised a friend to help his family move,
so the day before I dropped off my spare key with one of the
organizers (just in case) I went to the show location the evening
before with my bike in the bed of the EV truck, then biked home.
The next day the move took much longer than anticipated, so by
the time the first moving truck was full (and the house mostly
empty) I went over to the show to see what was left, chatted with
a few that had not yet gone home, understood that I had missed
the Tesla and other great attractions - but at least my truck
had been at the show between other EVs and they had fielded some
of the questions about it. So I put the bike in the bed and
drove home again.
I missed the show but at least my EV was there!

The first show I could only bring my EV by towing it, borrowing
a Jeep from a friend with a hitch and buying a second hand hitch
from Craigslist, I had to drill holes to bolt it to the front
bumper, but I had not bought a second hand EV for show, but to
drive and having a tow bar for it gave me a feel of security
for if it would every fail (which it did sometimes in the
beginning) I would not get stuck (luckily I never got stuck
with it that I had to tow it back, I have always driven
the EV back home after I installed batteries in it).
The show was actually a week after I bought it without batteries
so getting it home and getting it to the show used the same
process....

[...]

-----
If you don't understand, be patient, you will. Now I understand. :)
Nabble.com.

Re: Pleasanton, CA car show June 1, 2011

tomw
This post was updated on .
Corbin, I sometimes extend my range by stopping at an RV park to charge.  You can go eat somewhere, go for a walk or a bike (in your case unicycle) ride, or read while you charge.  Google shows lots of such parks in the bay area.  The Alameda Fairgrounds in Dublin offers the typical 240V/50A service:
http://www.campingfriend.com/AlamedaCountyFairgroundsRVPark/default.asp?file=Facilities
Make sure you have an adapter for the type receptacle they have!
Edit: You also live in one of the areas of the country with higher number of charging stations:
http://www.evchargernews.com/
Plenty time to make an adapter like etischer posted on diyelectriccar and test it out locally.