Plug In America Gala / Party in San Francisco

Plug In America Gala / Party in San Francisco

corbin dunn
Details: http://action.pluginamerica.org/content_item/gala

11/13/2011 - The Winery San Francisco on Treasure Island.

Anyone going? I'll have my '69 VW bug there.

corbin

Re: Plug In America Gala / Party in San Francisco

Cruisin
Hey Corbin, how are you going to get there? That is a lot farther than it is to Livermore. The price is a liitle steep for wine tasting and looking at production cars that are for sale. To expensive for the converter who people really dont care that much about. What they are intrested in is a new car that will give tham ALL their money back in a couple of years. I have done a couple of shows, and I really question whether it is worth it. My 2 cents worth. Al Bullock

Re: Plug In America Gala / Party in San Francisco

corbin dunn
Hey Al,

I think it is mainly a fundraiser for them, and it is meant to attract a different level of audience than the home-converter. Jack's EVCCON was more for the average converter.

I'm going to drive my bug there, and I'll have to do some charging to make it work. My plan is to drive the 20 miles to work, charge up there, then drive the 50 miles to the event and charge there for 3 hours (they have a J1772 plug I can use). I should then be able to make the 70 mile trip home, if I drive conservatively. If it doesn't look like I'll make it, I'll charge at my friend's house about 10 miles from my house (which excludes the steep highway 17 drive to my house).

corbin

On Oct 25, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Cruisin wrote:

> Hey Corbin, how are you going to get there? That is a lot farther than it is
> to Livermore. The price is a liitle steep for wine tasting and looking at
> production cars that are for sale. To expensive for the converter who people
> really dont care that much about. What they are intrested in is a new car
> that will give tham ALL their money back in a couple of years. I have done a
> couple of shows, and I really question whether it is worth it. My 2 cents
> worth. Al Bullock

Re: Plug In America Gala / Party in San Francisco

brucedp5
This post was updated on .
A short while ago, a San Jose EAA member drove his Leaf EV to a SF EAA
Chapter function, and on the way back he took a side trip to Treasure
Island (TI) to check it out for a later work related function. He said
he was able to find a private 5-20 outlet but it needed special
permissions ahead of time to use.

He was able to get a full charge while at the SF function, so coming
back to his (Blossom Hill) San Jose home he still had 10 miles showing
on the Leaf EV's guess-o-meter when he pulled in. He is an old-school
EV driver so he drove at a constant 55mph on Highway 101 all the way.
That likely gave him that extra 10 miles of range cushion.

As far as I know there is no EVSE at TI. So, if you know of any, or
see some EVSE while at TI, please let me know.

I had  done some research on recargo for him, and found these sites
which may also be of use to you:

http://www.recargo.com/sites/1690
Pat's Garage 1090 26th St San Francisco, CA 94107

http://www.recargo.com/sites/703
Electronic Arts 207 Redwood Shores Parkway Redwood City, CA 94065

http://www.recargo.com/sites/1564
Creekside Inn 3400 El Camino Real Palo Alto, CA 94306

Pat's is a short distance from TI, so in a pinch that site is
nearby and free as compared to most SF EVSE.

EA site is cool. Unlike other Corporations, their EVSE is
purposely public, their CTO is a big EV supporter.

Creekside has the advantage of being within walking distance of
Frys (a supermarket for computer-geeks).

If I had a cool EV like yours, I would likely find a way to enjoy a
nice ride on Skyline Blvd all the way to your LG home.

When I would climb that mountain with my Blazer, it was always a
kick in the pants to cruise on Skyline Blvd., and stop off at
Alice's Restaurant
http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/

I do not know if Alice's would be as warm to the idea today, but in
the late 1990's, I was able to sweet talk them into letting me plug
in to the power they have for when they have outdoor musical
entertainment (bands with power amps). The back panel (between Alice's
and the gas-station next door) has several 5-20 and outlets for
240VAC.

If you are considering asking to use them, know that some electricity
up there is likely ~$0.25pkwh. I found offering to pay twice the
actual electricity cost is a good starting point (i.e.: $10 for hours
you are there). Sometimes the host will accept that because they know
they are making a clear profit, and sometimes they wave that because
you are eating and drinking there (see their menu, the pie made using
berries from Pescadero Berry farms was quite good when I was last
there).

This site is usually chocked full of weekend-warrior vehicles, but
fairly empty during the rest of the week. Getting a public L1&L2
EVSE up there would be tricky, as while there is power and money to do
so, parking space is at a premium up there on the weekends when the
motorcycles and tricked out cars with good-looking babes hang-out to
be seen. Businesses on both sides of the road make the majority of
their earnings on the weekends.

{brucedp.150m.com}

corbin
-

Re: Plug In America Gala / Party in San Francisco

Cruisin
Corbin,
I have confidence in you. If there is anything thats going to do you in its the hills on the home stretch. I have the same fear when I run around the bay area and then have to go over the hill on 84 into Livermore.
Its called range something or other. Dont like the phrase. Enjoy the trip.
Al

Re: Plug In America Gala / Party in San Francisco

Cor van de Water
Just take some time recharging on the way home,
there are plenty EV'ers in South Bay Area that would
love to chat while you recharge, even while it is late
at night, so there is no reason to damage your pack
(except for you wanting to get home in time to get some sleep)

Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203