Progress In 86 Year Old Uncle EV Car Project, Now Need Help Integrating FSIP Model 800 Accelerator

Progress In 86 Year Old Uncle EV Car Project, Now Need Help Integrating FSIP Model 800 Accelerator

Decided to send the 35 year old EV1-B unit back to FSIP for diagnostics.
Bench tested, the unit had multiple failures. Uncle opted for full
remanufacture at cost of $579. Installed remanufactured unit in car, did a
bit more wiring work to fully implement the design, then successfully ran
the jacked up car in forward and reverse by hand operating the FSIP Model
800 Accelerator mounted on a switch board mockup. Now we move forward on to
other issues.

A few pictures:

It was dark starting work so my uncle lifted my cousin to the ceiling to
replace burnt out lights:

http://ptandjb.com/eddiesEV1/lightschange0842.JPG

We were working on filling the brake cylinder and lines with fluid, uncle is
working the brake pedal while cousin trying unsuccessfully to get brake
fluid down the lines. Eventually discovered the 35 year old brake lines were
blocked by corrosion, so all are being replaced.

http://ptandjb.com/eddiesEV1/brakeline0900.JPG

Our biggest current issue as we move switching controls to the driver
position is figuring out how to integrate the E30-M800-001 FSIP Model 800
Accelerator into the car. While it is 35 years old it appears to work just
fine, I guess it is probably comparable to current FSIP Model 810.

http://ptandjb.com/eddiesEV1/accelSW0847.JPG

The FSIP Model 800 Accelerator has two switches and a trimpot. The spring
loaded accelerator arm so far we pushed manually by hand in testing the
wiring and motor. As shown the top of the arm is moved from right to left.
As the arm movement begins the ACCEL START switch is closed. As the arm
moves left the trimpot send command for increased speed. We did not bottom
out the arm to make the 1A BYPASS switch with the wheels turning for fear of
excessive speed with the wheels jacked up. That function will be tested
later.

My uncle machined a provisional floor accelerator pedal which he shows below
the now disconnected Model 800 Accelerator. Here we are stuck. How do we
integrate this accelerator with a foot operated pedal? We do not have a
clue. My uncle who previously owned a machine shop for decades can build
anything.

Also will consider other recommendations for implementing the accelerator
function. While my uncle has been mentioning retiring now and then he said
finishing and driving the car first is a requirement.

Re: Progress In 86 Year Old Uncle EV Car Project, Now Need Help Integrating FSIP Model 800 Accelerator

Good to hear you got the controller working.

Over the decades, many conversion EVs have used potboxes similar to the one
in your picture.  The usual way is to connect it to the accelerator cable
that formerly went to the ICE's carburetor or throttle body.

So, the quick and dirty fix for your situation would be to have a look round
a boneyard until you find an ICEV with an accelerator pedal and cable that
look like you could adapt them to your EV.  Then you would mount the pedal
to the firewall in your EV and run the cable to the potbox up front.

Alternatively, you could buy a pre-made foot pedal.  One example:

https://www.ssccontrols.com/potentiometer-foot-pedals/l-m-series/

You might also check out arcade driving controls.  Happ makes a universal
pedal potbox which IIRC has a 5k potentiometer, but I don't see one with a
microswitch (which you would need).

PS - that's a sharp looking EV you have!  I'm envious. :-)