RANGE EXTENDER

CHARLIEP
I have a range extender on the drawing board,It consists of a nisan sentra engine /automatic trans axel stripped of all unnessary sheet metal .It will be equipted with a trailer hitch , will self steer, be short coupled so as not to jack knife the EV.To be attached only when longer range is needed. comments are incouraged. I am new to this forum .If this idea has been tried unsuccessfully let me know beforeI. WASTE TIME AND MONEY

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

Ben-149
Been done - some successful implementations, and lots of detailed info out
there. Try this page (found on Google) that highlights some projects. Make
sure you click through the links to the detailed pages, particularly the
first two.

http://evmaine.org/html/ev_trailers.html

Ben

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:20 PM, gtytsome3 <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I have a range extender on the drawing board,It consists of a nisan sentra
> engine /automatic trans axel stripped of all unnessary sheet metal .It will
> be equipted with a trailer hitch , will self steer, be short coupled so as
> not to jack knife the EV.To be attached only when longer range is needed.
> comments are incouraged. I am new to this forum .If this idea has been
> tried
> unsuccessfully let me know beforeI. WASTE TIME AND MONEY
> Nabble.com.

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

Thor Johnson
I've seen some hangin' out there:
        http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm
        http://www.jstraubel.com/EVpusher/EVpusher2.htm

Search for "ev pusher" on google

-Thor

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

Doug Weathers

On Dec 16, 2008, at 9:20 PM, gtytsome3 wrote:

> I have a range extender on the drawing board,It consists of a nisan
> sentra
> engine /automatic trans axel stripped of all unnessary sheet metal .It
> will
> be equipted with a trailer hitch , will self steer, be short coupled
> so as
> not to jack knife the EV.To be attached only when longer range is
> needed.
> comments are incouraged. I am new to this forum .

Welcome to the list!

> If this idea has been tried
> unsuccessfully let me know beforeI. WASTE TIME AND MONEY

If you are talking about a pusher trailer, it's been tried and it
works.  I recommend reading this article and following all the links:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pusher_trailer>

I don't think you don't need to worry about steering the trailer - just
lock the wheels like a regular trailer.  Keep the differential.  Let
the car you're pushing do the steering.

In general you'll be using it on the freeway, where steering is gentle.
  If you're doing a lot of in-town driving, you'll probably not be using
the pusher trailer to push your EV - you're probably towing the
trailer.

I think the easiest way to control a pusher trailer is with a cruise
control, which fits in well with the best way to use it (on the
freeway).

The three people I know about who have built pusher trailers (all
referenced in the Wikipedia article) say that there are no handling
problems, so maybe you CAN use them successfully around town.  Build
one and see.  Please let us know what happens, and post it on the EV
Album if you can.

BTW, just because an idea has been tried unsuccessfully does not mean
that YOU will be unsuccessful!  My personal opinion is that pusher
trailers are a good way to extend the range of your EV on an occasional
basis, and probably not a good solution if you need it a lot.  In that
case, use a regular car - the efficiency will probably be better.

--
Doug Weathers          | "The Moon.  I've been there.  It's super!"
Las Cruces, NM, USA    |   - Astronaut Charles "Pete" Conrad

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

Peter VanDerWal
It's not illegal to do something unless there is a law that specifically
states it's illegal.

Pusher trailers fall through the cracks on federal regulations.  It's not
a car (a car has 4 or more wheels) and it's not a motorcycle because the
wheels aren't inline.

It might violate some EPA reg (not sure) but last time I checked EPA
didn't have any enforcement agents out driving the freeways looking for
violators.

It basically falls down to what the state you are in allows.

Several states specifically allow pusher trailers and even have regs/laws
on how they can be operated, etc.

In some states they would just register as a trailer and only fall under
the laws that all other trailers have to follow.

In some states they are specifically prohibited.

You'd probably want to check and see what your state allows before
proceeding.

Of course this assumes you are in the USA, obviously you'd want to check
whatever local laws apply.

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

okaauto
Currently under existing EPA and CARB regulations there is no existing way to either register or license such a gizmo, in most states this would be considered "portable generator" except that for such use you can ONLY use it if the vehicle is parked, i.e. not when driving it.

Then in CA and 7 other NorthEast states that unless powering at construction site or in "emergency" you would be violating the anti-idle regulatiuons, i.e. you could not operate it when parked ! (Except may be inside of your own CLOSED garage).

Again for personal use all is fine untill someone decides to stop you and give you ticket for what ever they decide law you are breaking.

Commercially you could not sell any such device.

As of today even GM could not sell VOLT in CA as there is no procedure to test and certify it and the Dec 12 meeting to decide just on that was postponed again for 5th time, so even if GM will have volt in 2010 untill then there is no way to make EPA and CARB happy just yet.

Also at very minimum you would have to also demonstrate rear impact crash test integrity for a fuel system and evaporative emissions.

Per CARB you would have to have OBDII on the generator if it is attached in any way to a "mobile source of emissions", unless it is a "diesel" at which point you need a regenerative particulate trap, etc.

Regulations again make such simple idea more expensive if it is to be a commercial venture than ICE car !

However a TRAILER ONLY with bunch of extra batteries to give you what ever range (and we have done just that to test different battery systems quickly) is TOTALLY LEGAL as it is only considered to be a TRAILER in all US and CANADA, what is on the trailer (unless it is operating engine) is of no concern to anyone as long as it does not exceed the GVWR for the tires that are used and the framecertifications.

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

joe-22
It's a trailer - in Oregon, you don't need to license it.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

> Currently under existing EPA and CARB regulations there is no existing way
> to either register or license such a gizmo, in most states this would be
> considered "portable generator" except that for such use you can ONLY use
> it if the vehicle is parked, i.e. not when driving it.
>
> Then in CA and 7 other NorthEast states that unless powering at
> construction site or in "emergency" you would be violating the anti-idle
> regulatiuons, i.e. you could not operate it when parked ! (Except may be
> inside of your own CLOSED garage).
>
> Again for personal use all is fine untill someone decides to stop you and
> give you ticket for what ever they decide law you are breaking.
>
> Commercially you could not sell any such device.
>
> As of today even GM could not sell VOLT in CA as there is no procedure to
> test and certify it and the Dec 12 meeting to decide just on that was
> postponed again for 5th time, so even if GM will have volt in 2010 untill
> then there is no way to make EPA and CARB happy just yet.
>
> Also at very minimum you would have to also demonstrate rear impact crash
> test integrity for a fuel system and evaporative emissions.
>
> Per CARB you would have to have OBDII on the generator if it is attached
> in any way to a "mobile source of emissions", unless it is a "diesel" at
> which point you need a regenerative particulate trap, etc.
>
> Regulations again make such simple idea more expensive if it is to be a
> commercial venture than ICE car !
>
> However a TRAILER ONLY with bunch of extra batteries to give you what ever
> range (and we have done just that to test different battery systems
> quickly) is TOTALLY LEGAL as it is only considered to be a TRAILER in all
> US and CANADA, what is on the trailer (unless it is operating engine) is
> of no concern to anyone as long as it does not exceed the GVWR for the
> tires that are used and the framecertifications.

8:31 AM

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

Randy Eckert
Oklahoma , needs no license.
for that matter, you could rig up any little ice car with an auto tranny to
push your electric car on long hauls and it would just look like you are
towing a car. :)
or the other way around. A pusher /trailer to push you ice car around with
the electric one in back. I am sure you could do both under cover any laws.

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:47 AM, joe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's a trailer - in Oregon, you don't need to license it.
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
> E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

gottdi
No laws that I am aware of that prohibit the trailer from having powered wheels. If running a generator to power the vehicle it is not run at idle speed. The generator is for power to the car and no argument can be made with that. Anti Idle Regulation? I idle my ICE at every stop. As for using an ICE engine  for a pusher like the VW Diesel and using the existing front end of the vehicle as a pushing trailer there is no law stating it can't be done. So with that no laws are being busted. I can have a trailer, I can tow a car, and I can tow a trailer with a generator and if that generator is for power for the car I will run the generator and it won't be at idle speed. If I am not using the trailer generator the engine will be off. No need to waste fuel.

Pete : )

I'd prefer to make a trailer with a generator that will come on when the power is low and help keep some charge in the batteries. It would not be for actually driving directly the electric motor but to help extend the charge. It won't be large and when parked will also be used to charge up the batteries. I will plan on using a small direct injected diesel engine. Some day it will be done. No direct pusher but a generator to help extend the charge. So instead of 35 miles I may get 50 miles then need to stop to recharge. I'd prefer to recharge from the grid and only use the generator to extend if needed.
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

okaauto
Just send your unreasonable reasoning to EPA or CARB and guess what their reply will be !

And since Federal Law preempts any conflicting State regulations...

After all that is Exactly what we have been agains with MSV regulations, 5 states say it is OK or 7 do not prohibit it, yet it is not legal to import, manufacture, sell or modify NEV to go 35 MPH (MSV request).

When you apply the same logic to generators, pushers, etc. it is only OK till someone will object to it, and believe me if CHP sees a car on a highway that is being "pushed" by anything, it will be impounded, period.

Someone I know has tried exactly that with pushing electric car with a ICE van because they did not have tow bar and the EV ran out of juice.

Both had drivers in them and both got fined and their cars impounded. The van driver had his license suspended for 6 months as a result of it !

In San Jose, CA in case you need to know (101 FWY)

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

Cor van de Water
So, make the pusher look like a trailer, not a van.

Cor van de Water
Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

Rick Beebe
[hidden email] wrote:

> Someone I know has tried exactly that with pushing electric car with
> a ICE van because they did not have tow bar and the EV ran out of
> juice.

One car pushing another, bumper to bumper, on a road as busy as the 101
is likely to draw CHP attention regardless of whether it was an electric
car or not. And if they were tied together with a tow bar it would look
like the electric car was towing the van. Many places have rules against
persons occupying a towed vehicle or trailer. Again, here comes the CHP.

Still doesn't really answer the question about whether a pusher trailer
is illegal. Someone using would, however, probably be prohibited from
the left lane on most restricted access highways.

--Rick

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

Randall Van Engen
Wouldn't it also be VERY hard for a police officer to determine if the pusher was actually pushing, especially if you have a cut-off in the EV?  But, why would someone NOT make the pusher/range extender look like a trailer?

--Randall
Concord, NC

>So, make the pusher look like a trailer, not a van.
>

>Cor van de Water
>Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
>Proxim Wireless Corporation http://www.proxim.com
>Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
>Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
>Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
>Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130
>
>Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

Bob Rice-2

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

Randy Eckert
you know what they say if you are scared just say your scared, grow some
b__s build something and ell everyone how well it works, too much worry over
what if I get in trouble and not enough proto types out there. I get tired
of reading the worry warts......

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Randall Van Engen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Wouldn't it also be VERY hard for a police officer to determine if the
> pusher was actually pushing, especially if you have a cut-off in the EV?
>  But, why would someone NOT make the pusher/range extender look like a
> trailer?
>
> --Randall
> Concord, NC

Re: Range Extender

cowtown
Anyone pushing or pulling one occupied vehicle with another occupied
vehicle on a freeway deserves a ticket. Pusher trailers look just like
what they are: an unoccupied trailer solidly connected to the back of
a passenger vehicle. Neither JB nor Mr Sharkey ever posted a legal
issue in the several years they have been using theirs.

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

okaauto
The ultimate in EV range extender is this:

http://www.peterbilt.com/newsdetails.aspx?id=234

Just load the trailer with 30,000 lbs of batteries and off you go, and when that power is gone just fire up the diesel....

On Dec 16, 2008, at 9:20 PM, gtytsome3 wrote:

> I have a range extender on the drawing board,It consists of a nisan
> sentra
> engine /automatic trans axel stripped of all unnessary sheet metal .It
> will
> be equipted with a trailer hitch , will self steer, be short coupled
> so as
> not to jack knife the EV.To be attached only when longer range is
> needed.
> comments are incouraged. I am new to this forum .

Welcome to the list!

> If this idea has been tried
> unsuccessfully let me know beforeI. WASTE TIME AND MONEY

If you are talking about a pusher trailer, it's been tried and it
works.  I recommend reading this article and following all the links:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pusher_trailer>

I don't think you don't need to worry about steering the trailer - just
lock the wheels like a regular trailer.  Keep the differential.  Let
the car you're pushing do the steering.

In general you'll be using it on the freeway, where steering is gentle.
  If you're doing a lot of in-town driving, you'll probably not be using
the pusher trailer to push your EV - you're probably towing the
trailer.

I think the easiest way to control a pusher trailer is with a cruise
control, which fits in well with the best way to use it (on the
freeway).

The three people I know about who have built pusher trailers (all
referenced in the Wikipedia article) say that there are no handling
problems, so maybe you CAN use them successfully around town.  Build
one and see.  Please let us know what happens, and post it on the EV
Album if you can.

BTW, just because an idea has been tried unsuccessfully does not mean
that YOU will be unsuccessful!  My personal opinion is that pusher
trailers are a good way to extend the range of your EV on an occasional
basis, and probably not a good solution if you need it a lot.  In that
case, use a regular car - the efficiency will probably be better.

--
Doug Weathers          | "The Moon.  I've been there.  It's super!"
Las Cruces, NM, USA    |   - Astronaut Charles "Pete" Conrad

http://www.gdunge.com/ |

Re: RANGE EXTENDER

gottdi
Hear Hear. Just build one and enjoy it. No one has been able to
provide any illegal issues with pusher trailers or trailers with
generators on board. Build it clean and professional looking and
working properly and cleanly. Lights and stuff and all trailer safety
issues need to be met and your good to go.

Pete

On Dec 18, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Randy Eckert wrote:

> you know what they say if you are scared just say your scared, grow
> some
> b__s build something and ell everyone how well it works, too much
> worry over
> what if I get in trouble and not enough proto types out there. I get
> tired
> of reading the worry warts......
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Randall Van Engen <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it also be VERY hard for a police officer to determine if
>> the
>> pusher was actually pushing, especially if you have a cut-off in
>> the EV?
>> But, why would someone NOT make the pusher/range extender look like a
>> trailer?
>>
>> --Randall
>> Concord, NC

i have a question to CHP about pushing a car with a car safely to get
a car home. I will post the response. If I don't get a quick response
I will just call our local CHP and ask and post the question.

Also I will ask about pusher trailers or trailers with generators.

Pete

On Dec 18, 2008, at 4:10 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> The ultimate in EV range extender is this:
>
> http://www.peterbilt.com/newsdetails.aspx?id=234
>
> Just load the trailer with 30,000 lbs of batteries and off you go,
> and when that power is gone just fire up the diesel....

When my DC/DC went out and my controller dropped out
while waiting for a red light, I had the fortune to
have a big fire-truck pull up behind me, an officer
jumped out and asked if they needed to push me across
the intersection to get me out of the way, but luckily
my battery recovered enough (on my wimpy 4A laptop
charger) to restart the controller and avoid major
damage to the rear of my truck (no bumper, only sheet metal)
when being pushed by a Fire Truck.

I guess that being pushed by a Fire Truck is not under
supervision by CHP ;-)