RAV-4 EV Coming

Mark Hanson-2

Bruce wrote:
Toyota would provide its manufacturing
expertise while Tesla would share its experience in EV powertrains and
battery technology.

Um..., does that mean 6800 flashlight batteries to run the vehicle like the roadster?  I hope not.

Large format batteries are more reliable/less connections/parts/failure points.

Have a renewable energy day,
mark
www.reevadiy.org

Re: RAV-4 EV Coming

Willis "Skip" Korhonen
I totally agree. I guess Tesla found a design that worked for them and isn't
willing to invest in the newer format, even if the large format batteries
are better.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Mark Hanson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
> Toyota would provide its manufacturing
> expertise while Tesla would share its experience in EV powertrains and
> battery technology.
>
> Um..., does that mean 6800 flashlight batteries to run the vehicle like the
> roadster?  I hope not.
>
> Large format batteries are more reliable/less connections/parts/failure
> points.
>
> Have a renewable energy day,
> mark
> www.reevadiy.org

                 Have a good day   "Skip"

Re: RAV-4 EV Coming

gottdi
Yes they are using the tiny batteries like in the Tesla Roadster.
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: RAV-4 EV Coming

Cruisin
I think you are misinformed on the trend of batteries. Most EV manufacturers have decided on the 18650 cell as the BEST for EV's which is what the Tesla uses. Flashlight battery? come on man, wake up and smell the coffee.

Re: RAV-4 EV Coming

gottdi
Well not the Leaf. I dont think a couple companies comprise the majority who think these tiny are the best.
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: RAV-4 EV Coming

Jukka Järvinen-3
It's cheapest way to get the big amount of energy in small compartment
and it allows flexible pack designs. you just buy these small cells
and assemble them as you wish.

I have been expecting reports of various cell failures (not fires of
explosions, but reduced lifetime) from Tesla. But they seem to keep
lid on these kind of things.

The real kwh out versus $ is still unknown and this should be one of
the major issues to stare at.

Large format cells are cheaper to make in quantities. But we are not yet there.

Small 18650 cells are made in quantities and available from various
sources. The manufacturing equipment to build your own cells can be
bought cheaply. This is what car manufacturers wish to have. Something
they can control. Dog wish still remain to be the dog. Not the tail.

-akkuJukka

http://www.google.com/profiles/jarviju#about