RE BMW

Electric Blue auto convertions
Maybe I should have put more time in my last post. my shop is busy again and I have it full with conversions, with me, I do conversions ,so I see a factory built as competition so naturally im suspect when I see the new Evs, The leaf is butt ugly to me, and people buy it because there isnt any other kind to buy,maybe the ford but to me thats butt ugly also. I understand they have gobbs of R&D to do and that cost a lot, I know they have to advertise and that cost a lot too. But, there were so many new start up companies a few years back and every one failed, Tesla was the only one the worked, but not with out Govt cash, and a lot of it.

Maybe Im stuck in my ways, after all I have been doing this since 1974. Every EV I build for my self gets sold because some one wants one, and there not that choosy about what it is or how it ;looks or the gadgets it has in it. Point being, where I live I have never seen a leaf, volt or tesla not in any dealers, or on the street, Maybe the west coast has them all.

Im building another EV for myself..again .Its a 83 S-10, old but was in great shape, no rust anywhere, never been hit, no dents anywhere, So, its getting restored to new condition.
The 11inch HV is already in, frame and rear and front suspension is done , all correct colors, new everything, rebuilt everything . I am bringing the cab in after the snow melts from the garage doors, and re-do it all, new interior, dash, new everything. colour is from house of Colours, candy brandywine @83$ a qt. I need about 6 Qts to do it all,over a gold base coat, with silver base coat highlights . I have new wheels and tires already, Point being, I get a custom EV the way I want it, fast as hell. good range..and it will be LiOn power 300 volts and have a 1,000 or 1400 amp controller, PS,PW,A/C PB,heat, cheaper than a factory built car, the way I want it, the things I want in it, the colour I want. total cost should be 1/2 the cost of new factory built car.
But thats me, I havent bought a new car since I dont know when or would I ever buy a new one

This S-10 is on the Eastwood company web site blog, with lots of photos

Re: RE BMW

rodhower
http://blog.eastwood.com/eastwood-chatter/electric-restoration-1/

On 27 Feb 2013 at 15:10, Electric Blue auto convertions wrote:

> I get a custom EV the way I want it ... total cost should be 1/2 the
> cost of new factory built car.

Yes, this is the advantage of hobbyist or pro conversion.  And as I pointed
out before, you end up with an EV that you can work on yourself.  It also
has interchangeable parts so you can replace and upgrade with something
other than exactly what the car came with, sold by the dealer.

But that's not for everyone.  We have folks on the EVDL who have long said
they'd like an EV they can just buy and drive, and take to the dealer for
maintenance and repair (under warranty, if possible).  I know, many of us
don't want to entrust repairs to dealers, but others are fine with it.  And
many folks don't want to or can't convert.

I'm increasingly sympathetic with this view.   As the years pass, I get less
and less inclined toward crawling around under cars to reroute parking brake
cables, and less interested in wrestling 65lb batteries into them.  (I know,
lithium cells are much lighter.)

It won't be this year, but I hope that someday soon I'll be handing a check
to a salesman in a suit uglier than any EV ever designed ;-), and driving
off the lot in a factory EV of some kind.

Re: RE BMW

Pestka, Dennis J
Nice job Wayne !

Dennis
Elsberry, MO
http://www.evalbum.com/1366
http://www.evalbum.com/3715

>This S-10 is on the Eastwood company web site blog, with lots of photos
http://blog.eastwood.com/eastwood-chatter/electric-restoration-1/

Re: RE BMW

corbin dunn

On Feb 27, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Electric Blue auto convertions <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe I should have put more time in my last post. my shop is busy again and I have it full with conversions, with me, I do conversions ,so I see a factory built as competition so naturally im suspect when I see the new Evs, The leaf is butt ugly to me, and people buy it because there isnt any other kind to buy,maybe the ford but to me thats butt ugly also. I understand they have gobbs of R&D to do and that cost a lot, I know they have to advertise and that cost a lot too. But, there were so many new start up companies a few years back and every one failed, Tesla was the only one the worked, but not with out Govt cash, and a lot of it.
>
> Maybe Im stuck in my ways, after all I have been doing this since 1974. Every EV I build for my self gets sold because some one wants one, and there not that choosy about what it is or how it ;looks or the gadgets it has in it. Point being, where I live I have never seen a leaf, volt or tesla not in any dealers, or on the street, Maybe the west coast has them all.
>
> Im building another EV for myself..again .Its a 83 S-10, old but was in great shape, no rust anywhere, never been hit, no dents anywhere, So, its getting restored to new condition.
> The 11inch HV is already in, frame and rear and front suspension is done , all correct colors, new everything, rebuilt everything . I am bringing the cab in after the snow melts from the garage doors, and re-do it all, new interior, dash, new everything. colour is from house of Colours, candy brandywine @83$ a qt. I need about 6 Qts to do it all,over a gold base coat, with silver base coat highlights . I have new wheels and tires already, Point being, I get a custom EV the way I want it, fast as hell. good range..and it will be LiOn power 300 volts and have a 1,000 or 1400 amp controller, PS,PW,A/C PB,heat, cheaper than a factory built car, the way I want it, the things I want in it, the colour I want. total cost should be 1/2 the cost of new factory built car.

What is the range on your homebuilt car that is 1/2 the cost of the factory build one? I have a hard time seeing people get upwards of the 100 mile range that a Leaf gets for 1/2 the cost of a Leaf. Maybe equal to the cost of the leaf, but not 1/2.

I'm just curious...mainly on the battery pack and size you use.

corbin