Range ??

drdhdmd
After much soul searching I have come to the realization that I still
cannot afford a nice Lithium Ion battery pack for the eLectric DeLorean.   Based
on this I think I will go with the
recommendations of this list and use buddy pairs of the PC680 / XE16 lead
acid battery.

My original pack of thirteen Deka 9A31s (12v 100AH 69pounds) took me 30-40
miles on a charge, in its prime.  According to Deka the Peukert value of
the 9A31 is 1.22 (EVConvert says 1.145)

I do not know what the Peukert value of the PC680/XE16 (12v 16AH 14pounds)
is, but if I use 24 buddy pairs in series the WH will be 12 x 16 x 2 x 24 =
 9,216.  The old pack had 12 x 100 x 13 = 15,600 WH.

I believe that since my battery voltage will be almost double what it was,
then the average battery current should be almost half.  If the Peurkert
value is about the same, how will that affect my range?  The batteries will
also weigh  a lot less, 676 pounds vs 897 pounds.

Is there a way to estimate what my range will be using the new pack?

Thank  you,

Dave Delman
1981 Electric DeLorean  Project
electricdelorean.com
http://evalbum.com/1482

Re: Range ??

EVDL Administrator
On 7 Feb 2010 at 9:39, [hidden email] wrote:

> The batteries will  also weigh a lot less, 676 pounds vs 897 pounds ..
> Is there a way to estimate what my range will be using the new pack?

In general, range is roughly proportional to the mass of the lead.  By that
estimate, you can predict that your range will be about 676/897 * 35 miles,
or about 26 miles - a hit of about 25%.

>  If the Peurkert value is about the same, how will that affect my
> range?

You're changing from a 156v 100ah battery to a 288v 34ah battery.  (I looked
up the PC680/XE16 battery on the web, and the amp-hour specification I found
said 17ah.)  I suspect that you'll be hurt by Peukert, rather than helped.
Let's see if this is so.

You can approximate the Peukert exponent of the Odyssey battery using Uve
Rick's battery calculator.  It used to be on Geocities but when they shut
down I salvaged it, so you can now find it (slightly prettied up) at

http://evdl.org/uve/battery.html

It tells us that the Peukert exponent of your Odyssey battery is about 1.15.

Let's see how this will affect your range at constant highway speeds.  For
the sake of simplicity I'll assume your car uses 10hp (10kw allowing for
losses) at about 50mph.  It probably doesn't, but this will give you some
idea of what will happen when you change the battery.

Neglecting voltage sag, your former setup would provide 10kw with about 64
amps.  This is 0.64C.

Using Uve's calculator again, I get 1.145 for the Dekas' Peukert value.  For
your highway cruise at 64 amps, Uve calculates their capacity as 69ah.
Thus, in our hypothetical car, you could drive at 50mph for 1.08 hours, for
a total range of 54 miles, with the old Deka pack.

Now let's look at the new setup with the Odyssey batteries.  At a nomina
288v (again neglecting sag) It'll require 35 amps to provide the same 10kw.
That's about 1C, meaning you'll be asking more of your batteries.  This will
push you higher into the Peukert curve.  It will stress the battery more.

Let's assume that the current will divide equally between the paired
batteries (it may not, but this makes it easier).  Each battery will see
17.5a.  Again using the calculator, we see that each battery will give you
about 11ah, or a total of 22ah.  Thus our hypothetical car can sustain 50mph
for .63 hours, or about 31 miles, with the Odysseys.

So, on a simple weight basis, you'll have about 75% of the mass in lead so
your range should drop by 25%.

But with these little batteries, Peukert is biting harder than that.  Using
the second method above, the estimate is that your range will fall by 43%,
at least at highway speeds.

In mixed low speed /  highway driving, the range reduction will probably be
somewhere between these numbers.  Wild, irresponsible guess - maybe 35%,
dropping your range to perhaps 20 to 26 miles.

I'll also point out that, everything else being equal, a double string of
small batteries almost always costs more per mile of use than a single
string of larger batteries.

Hope this helps.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: Range ??

Willie McKemie
On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 09:39:32AM -0500, [hidden email] wrote:
> After much soul searching I have come to the realization that I still
> cannot afford a nice Lithium Ion battery pack for the eLectric DeLorean.   Based

Is the possibility of using lithium beyond the point of discussion?

What are your needs/desires on current?  I believe it is true that you
will find yourself buying a LFP pack that gives you three times the
range of lead in order to get the current of lead.  That is, it is
difficult/impossible to choose LFPs that will give you the same range
as lead and 1/3 the weight along with not much extra cost.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995

Re: Range ??

David Harrington
Why is lithium out of your price range? According to a quick Google search,
the PC60 is about $115, and your setup that would come out to be about $5500
(48 batteries) and a similar lithium pack that would have loads more range,
would be about $5800 from EV Components (48 100Ah TS Cells).

I have been looking into Odyssey batteries from my Civic, but it's the same
cost as going lithium, only lithium has 4-5x the life and twice the range
for the same price.

David Harrington

Electric Civic Conversion
http://civicity.blogspot.com

1996 Civic LX EV
http://civicity.blogspot.com/

Re: Range ??

Hi Dave,

Is there a reason you want to go to double voltage?
The move will likely cost you a new controller and
possibly a DC/DC converter in addition to the pack,
unless you already have a setup allowing both high
and low voltage.

Why not change the Deka's for a new 156V 100 Ah pack?
I had pretty good service from relatively cheap
AGMs made in China (as most lead-acids) under US management
by UPG (Universal Power Group).
I have also heard of another EVer that had two of his
(smaller, 34Ah) batteries go open circuit, but I never
experienced that problem on my 110A or on the half a
dozen other EVs that decided to use these batteries.
Prices of lead have risen since I bought my pack
but I believe that UB121100 are still affordable
compared with other AGM offerings.
Weight was also some 69 or 71 lbs so you would see
no difference compared to the Deka's.

Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

Re: Range ??

Douglas A. Stansfield-2
>You can approximate the Peukert exponent of the Odyssey battery using Uve
Rick's battery calculator.  It used to be on Geocities but when they shut
down >I salvaged it, so you can now find it (slightly prettied up) at

>http://evdl.org/uve/battery.html

The Battery Prices listed on that site are way out of date in case anyone is
comparing....

Sincerely;

Douglas A. Stansfield
President
www.TransAtlanticElectricConversions.com
973-875-6276 (office)
973-670-9208 (cell)
973-440-1619 (fax)

WHOLESALE ELECTRICITY PROVIDERS
And ELECTRIC CAR PRODUCERS

On 7 Feb 2010 at 18:11, Douglas A. Stansfield wrote:

> The Battery Prices listed on that site are way out of date in case anyone is
> comparing....

Sorry if that isn't clear.  As the page says : "Note: Battery prices shown
below are the lowest price I have been informed of for that battery. These
battery prices are not from a specific distributor or even collected at the
same time, and are in any case out of date."

When I snagged Uve's page out from under the Yahoo / Geocities bulldozer and
cleaned it up, I decided to leave those prices on the page as a matter of
historical interest.  I moved them to the bottom of the page (they used to
be at the top) and added that little disclaimier, "and are in any case out
of date," to Uve's original text.

I guess I could boldface that statement, or otherwise make it more
prominent.  However, I think (or at least hope) that most people know that
current and valid battery prices come from battery dealers, not from static
webpages.  ;-)

BTW, as it turns out, Reocities salvaged Uve's original page.  You can see
it without my changes here, if you care :

http://reocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8679/battery.html

It's probably also available at archive.org, but regrettably sites and pages
archived there tend to be painfully slow or not served at all (thanks to
hideously overloaded servers), and notoriously incomplete even when they are
served.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not

Re: Range ??

electricman
Dave, Was that Soul Searching, or Wallet/Bank Book Searching (Looking for
extra Benjamin's)?

And - while your searching your soul - please have a look at my notes -
posted on my site at www.myelectricfly.com/whitepaper.php regarding
lead-acid vs. ThunderSky LFP as purchased from www.evcomponents.com.

I think you might find out that - with even this basic two page comparison
of some simple issues - the Lead Acid Batteries will cost you more than you
realized - what with short life - excessive abuse, and out of spec
applications (They were never created for the loads we put them through, for
the durations that they are loaded, with as deep a discharge as we want.
maybe deep cycle - but at the C/20 Rating - not as much at the C/2 or C
Ratings or higher).

Also - the batteries in all serious conversions should be chosen - as I see
it - to at least be able to handle the steady state load of the motor at
it's nominal specs, and ideally - be able to safely handle pulses at twice
the motors nominal specs of 15 - 30 Seconds (longer - if you have a lot of
hills in your home zone).

My electricfly - for instance - is motor rated at 20.9 HP at 90V X 184 Amps,
so - a set of 30 - 32 TS-LFP90AHA Cells (At $99 each) which are rated for 3C
Nominal Continuous, would be operating at about 2C - within their limits,
and with some reserve for hills, but still give me about 4 - 6 times the
life of the usual Lead Acid Batteries, plus - extend the range beyond the
lead acid - by a factor of 2-3 within reason.

My highway drive with the Trojans currently - when new - took the pack
voltage down all the way from a fully charged 105 Volts to 75 Volts at 185
Amps at 60 Mph / 100 Kmh, meaning about 14 kW used from the 16 kW or so the
nominal specs suggest. It shows I need about 140 Wh per Km for basic
calculations of range. However - the safe lower limit - with perfectly
balanced Batteries - was really 84 volts - or 8 X 10.5V, so I was strangling
them in ignorance at the time. As they say - and EV Batter pack does not
die - it is most often Murdered!

Robert Weekley
[hidden email]
http://groups.google.com/group/electricfly1
=============================

> After much soul searching I have come to the realization that I still
> cannot afford a nice Lithium Ion battery pack for the eLectric DeLorean.
> Based
> on this I think I will go with the
> recommendations of this list and use buddy pairs of the PC680 / XE16 lead
> acid battery.
>
> My original pack of thirteen Deka 9A31s (12v 100AH 69pounds) took me 30-40
> miles on a charge, in its prime.  According to Deka the Peukert value of
> the 9A31 is 1.22 (EVConvert says 1.145)
>
> I do not know what the Peukert value of the PC680/XE16 (12v 16AH 14pounds)
> is, but if I use 24 buddy pairs in series the WH will be 12 x 16 x 2 x 24
> =
> 9,216.  The old pack had 12 x 100 x 13 = 15,600 WH.
>
> I believe that since my battery voltage will be almost double what it was,
> then the average battery current should be almost half.  If the Peurkert
> value is about the same, how will that affect my range?  The batteries
> will
> also weigh  a lot less, 676 pounds vs 897 pounds.
>

> Is there a way to estimate what my range will be using the new pack?
>
> Thank  you,
>
> Dave Delman
> 1981 Electric DeLorean  Project
> electricdelorean.com
> http://evalbum.com/1482

Re: Range ??

Roger Heuckeroth
I can't answer your question on range, but are you going for range or
performance?  If I recall you were a bit dissatisfied on both ends.
Based on your choices of upgrading to a Z2K and these batteries, it
looks like you are going for performance.  You can't really get both
without spending lots of money.

On Feb 7, 2010, at 9:39 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> After much soul searching I have come to the realization that I still
> cannot afford a nice Lithium Ion battery pack for the eLectric
> DeLorean.   Based
> on this I think I will go with the
> recommendations of this list and use buddy pairs of the PC680 / XE16
> lead
> acid battery.
>
> My original pack of thirteen Deka 9A31s (12v 100AH 69pounds) took me
> 30-40
> miles on a charge, in its prime.  According to Deka the Peukert
> value of
> the 9A31 is 1.22 (EVConvert says 1.145)
>
> I do not know what the Peukert value of the PC680/XE16 (12v 16AH
> 14pounds)
> is, but if I use 24 buddy pairs in series the WH will be 12 x 16 x 2
> x 24 =
> 9,216.  The old pack had 12 x 100 x 13 = 15,600 WH.
>
> I believe that since my battery voltage will be almost double what
> it was,
> then the average battery current should be almost half.  If the
> Peurkert
> value is about the same, how will that affect my range?  The
> batteries will
> also weigh  a lot less, 676 pounds vs 897 pounds.
>

> Is there a way to estimate what my range will be using the new pack?
>
> Thank  you,
>
> Dave Delman
> 1981 Electric DeLorean  Project
> electricdelorean.com
> http://evalbum.com/1482

Re: Range ??

drdhdmd
Willie, I think Lithium is not an option because I want to be able to pull
1500 battery amps minimum.  Thunderskys have only a 3C rating.  I
understand that their 10C "burst" is measured in milliseconds.  A123 and  other Li
can do it but they all have a very expensive initial cost.

Cor van de Water, My decision to go up in voltage is so that I can maintain
 the motor amps at higher RPMs.  I already have the Z2K-HV controller.
You are correct, I will have to do something about my Iota-55 DC/DC.  I  don't
think the UB121100 can supply the current I need.  I was thinking of
replacing my 9A31s with PC2150s.  They certainly could supply the current  but
since I don't have room for more, the voltage will be the same and I will
still have low horsepower at higher RPMs.  I could just keep shifting to  keep
the RPMs down, I suppose...

David H,  I can get the PC680s for less than $95 each and the  100AH
Thunderskys seem to be unable to supply enough peak current for  racing.

Roland,  Thanks for the calculator link.

David,  Thanks for the range estimation.

Thank you,

Dave Delman
eLectricDeLorean.com
(Unfortunately not self  recharging!)

Re: Range ??

Roger Heuckeroth
You could get one pack for optimized for racing and one pack for your
normal driving.

On Feb 9, 2010, at 8:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Willie, I think Lithium is not an option because I want to be able
> to pull
> 1500 battery amps minimum.  Thunderskys have only a 3C rating.  I
> understand that their 10C "burst" is measured in milliseconds.  A123
> and  other Li
> can do it but they all have a very expensive initial cost.
>
> Cor van de Water, My decision to go up in voltage is so that I can
> maintain
> the motor amps at higher RPMs.  I already have the Z2K-HV controller.
> You are correct, I will have to do something about my Iota-55 DC/
> DC.  I  don't
> think the UB121100 can supply the current I need.  I was thinking of
> replacing my 9A31s with PC2150s.  They certainly could supply the
> current  but
> since I don't have room for more, the voltage will be the same and I
> will
> still have low horsepower at higher RPMs.  I could just keep
> shifting to  keep
> the RPMs down, I suppose...
>
> David H,  I can get the PC680s for less than $95 each and the  100AH
> Thunderskys seem to be unable to supply enough peak current for
> racing.
>
> Roland,  Thanks for the calculator link.
>
> David,  Thanks for the range estimation.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Dave Delman
> eLectricDeLorean.com
> (Unfortunately not self  recharging!)

Re: Range ??

Roger Stockton
[hidden email] wrote:

> Willie, I think Lithium is not an option because I want to be
> able to pull 1500 battery amps minimum.  Thunderskys have
> only a 3C rating.  I understand that their 10C "burst" is
> measured in milliseconds.  A123 and  other Li can do it but
> they all have a very expensive initial cost.
>
> Cor van de Water, My decision to go up in voltage is so that
> I can maintain
>  the motor amps at higher RPMs.  I already have the Z2K-HV
> controller.
> You are correct, I will have to do something about my Iota-55
> DC/DC.  I  don't think the UB121100 can supply the current I
> need.  I was thinking of replacing my 9A31s with PC2150s.
> They certainly could supply the current  but since I don't
> have room for more, the voltage will be the same and I will
> still have low horsepower at higher RPMs.  I could just keep
> shifting to  keep the RPMs down, I suppose...
>
> David H,  I can get the PC680s for less than $95 each and the
>  100AH Thunderskys seem to be unable to supply enough peak
> current for  racing.

Are you sure the PC680 is enough battery for your application?

The "PC" part of the designation stands for "Pulse Current", and the PC680 has a pulse hot cranking amp rating of 680A for 5sec.  You probably won't get "1500 battery amps minimum" from a pair of them for more than a second or two, and may well significantly shorten their lives by doing so.

I'd suggest that a buddy-paired string of the PC925 would stand a better chance of satisfying your desire and living to tell about it.

I will echo Dave R's advice that it is almost always better to use a single string of batteries instead of buddy-paired smaller ones.  The one possible exception is if your vehicle is primarily to be used as a competitive racing vehicle (John Wayland, for instance, found that using pairs of a smaller model AGM actually provided slightly higher peak current than a single string of a slightly larger model).  In this case, I would suggest carefully considering a single string of the PC1500 or PC1750 models instead.

A single PC1500 has the same internal resistance as a buddy pair of PC925s, even neglecting the resistance of the additional connections associated with the buddy-pairs.  Also bear in mind that the PC680 and PC925 offer M6 threaded terminals while the PC1500 and PC1750 offer the larger, lower resistance SAE post terminals.

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: Range ??

Jeff Shanab
Just to be clear, The complete picture is you want to pull 1500Amps @ X
volts or Y watts.

I missed the first part I think where you stated the pack voltage. looks
like it might be a high one.
Now if you are already at 288V because if the Z2kHV, Then Yes I see your
point.

Nothing can beat lead for economically belching out amps.

But the title says Range ??

Nothing beats LithiumIon for economically creating long range :-)  (
Well This Month)

While 20C Lithium-ion exist, it is not economical, but we are getting
closer.

So I think in your case, Lead is the choice.

lets say 24 pc2150's for 288V
   At 1500A we will sag to 150 volts or less so 1500 * 150 or 225Kw
    but only 400 cycles and only 50 usable ah   so (50*277*400) or 18K
miles(@300wh/mile) (hey that is actually nice)
    Ads I see say about $300 each so $7200

90 100ah cells will sag to 2.5v each or 225V @ 300A   a measly 67.5 kwh
(80* 270*2000) so 144,000 miles at 300 wh/mile (if we believe both of
the batteries manufacturing specs.)

of course
90x10 Headway cells at 7C / cell is 700A  at a stiffer 270V is 189Kw but
it weighs less than the lead so it would more than balance out.

I just want to point this out for those considering a pack on a more
modest profile.

156V 100ah lead --> 100ah LiFe

lower amp usage.
156/12 13 12V batteries @ 75 lbs each  975Lbs. 50usable ah. 50 * 146V
is  7300wh or 24 miles @ 300wh/mile
       400 * 24 = 9600 miles

156/3.2 is  49 cells at 7 lbs each is 350 lbs .8 * 147V * 80ah = is
9408wh or 33 miles at 280wh/mile (gotta take less to push 600lbs less of
batteries.
    2000 * 33 = 66,000 miles.

It seems more attractive. 24 vs 33 doesn't seem to big a diff though so
I would put more lithium in if I could afford it. More ah instead of
more volts and better chance of getting to 2000 miles.

Both systems would need BMS unless you went floody, but that is the
other end of the scale where things are more economical for lead.
There seems to be some optimum points at the moment with a new one
showing up for the former sealed lead acid to be replaced by lead.
I have 24 orbitlas and a ZIlla1KHV and a single 9.  It is difficult to
get over 400 battery amps at max throttle launches anyway as I have to
limit zilla to 170V max with one motor.  90 of the 100ah cells would be
sweet, 300A max for daily driving would be fine and the 470 lb drop in
weight would be great.
It would be a 10K pack rated at 2000 cycles vs a 5K pack rated at 300
cycles.
You heard me right. The Damn orbitals went up with lead prices but they
never really came back down, it is ridiculous.
I was gonna do the Lithium this summer or when the pack needed
replacing, But getting laid off at work has caused a unspecified
postponement.