Re: Ampabout by Prius

Hi-Torque Electric
Hey Bob

Your post came through all blotched and screwed up and
it made it hard to read 8^(

Not sure what happened with it but wondered if anyone
else saw how wierd it came through?  I'm one who never
got a truncated message and I've never seen a post
come through like this.  Anyway just wanted to say it
was a hard post to read.

Cya
Jim Husted

Car alternator for a genset

Dan Frederiksen-2
just a stray thought but if coupled to a 40HP motorcycle motor could a
typical car alternator handle 30kW if run at high rpm? could it even
produce high voltage enough? maybe 500-1000v so the amps wouldn't kill
it. could it work?

Dan

Re: Ampabout by Prius

Dave Cover
I looked fine on my end. Maybe it got mangled in the mail going all that way cross ocuntry. It
must have been in the bottom of a mailbag full of Sears catalogs. ;^)

Dave Cover

--- Jim Husted <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Bob
>
> Your post came through all blotched and screwed up and
> it made it hard to read 8^(
>
> Not sure what happened with it but wondered if anyone
> else saw how wierd it came through?  I'm one who never
> got a truncated message and I've never seen a post
> come through like this.  Anyway just wanted to say it
> was a hard post to read.
>
> Cya
> Jim Husted

Re: Ampabout by Prius

Bob Rice-2
   Hi Jim, an EVerybody;

   I guess the post got screwed up WORSE than I usually write? It kept
bouncing til I figgured out HOW to post to the List, Having two E mail
addies didn't help,ether.At the rate I type(two Fingers) I wasn't gunna
redoo it if at all possable!

   If it was hard to read, I'm sorry, will try to do better on the sequil.

  Seeya

  Bob
> Your post came through all blotched and screwed up and
> it made it hard to read 8^(
>
> Not sure what happened with it but wondered if anyone
> else saw how wierd it came through?  I'm one who never
> got a truncated message and I've never seen a post
> come through like this.  Anyway just wanted to say it
> was a hard post to read.
>
> Cya
> Jim Husted

> 4:06 PM

Re: Ampabout by Prius

John A. Evans - N0HJ
FYI, it was the only EVDL message of the day that my ISP's spam filter
caught, so something was questionable about it.

john

Bob Rice wrote:
>    Hi Jim, an EVerybody;
>
>    I guess the post got screwed up WORSE than I usually write? It kept
> bouncing til I figgured out HOW to post to the List,

Re: Car alternator for a genset

wjdennis@qwest.net
Dan, Lee Hart has posted on this a few times, so you can search the
archives if you want more specifics.  But for a typical car alternator,
the parts are rated for 120V and 60A, so you can get around 7200W max.
out of it.

Bill Dennis

Dan Frederiksen wrote:

> just a stray thought but if coupled to a 40HP motorcycle motor could a
> typical car alternator handle 30kW if run at high rpm? could it even
> produce high voltage enough? maybe 500-1000v so the amps wouldn't kill
> it. could it work?
>
> Dan

NEEAA Meeting.

Bob Rice-2
  Hi EVerybody;

   I'm gunna piggyback on THIS post so MAYBE it won't bounce!?The regular
second Sat of the Month EAA meeting in Killingworth CT, around 1 or 2
whenEVer ya can get here? The standard fare; Hot Dawgs ,Hamburglers, bring
something ya would like to cook up? At least 2 EV's to see,and the hardware
that makes them go. Anybody wanna kitten?  Do to recent Production overruns
in the Kitten Dept( Didn't catch Mom in time,#%$&*!Dammit!}Two beige and one
grey<g>!Not going fast, sigh!

   Seeya

   Bob

Re: Ampabout by Prius. More

Bob Rice-2
  Hi John;

    I THINK I have the thing now? Was sending with the wrong return address,
so the List Proc, or Whatever, thinks, kicks it back. Wasn't sure, so THAT's
why ya got TWO invites to the EAA meeting. I'm a slow learner on computers!
> FYI, it was the only EVDL message of the day that my ISP's spam filter
> caught, so something was questionable about it.
>
> john
>
> Bob Rice wrote:
>>    Hi Jim, an EVerybody;
>>
>>    I guess the post got screwed up WORSE than I usually write? It kept
>> bouncing til I figgured out HOW to post to the List,

Re: Ampabout by Prius. More

Joseph T.
It's working just fine now.

On 8 Aug 2007 at 12:12, Jim Husted wrote:

> Your post came through all blotched and screwed up and
> it made it hard to read 8^(

It looked like Bob copied a rejected post and pasted it into a new message.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Re: Ampabout by Prius

Evan Tuer
On 8/7/07, Bob Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi EVerybody;

  Yes you CAN go 8578k miles in the good old USA, at about 43mpg in a
Prius(I have a led foot). My yearly Portland Pilgrimage went off with
out a major hitch. Leaving CT about 5 daze before the Wayland
Invitational races, the New Woodburn, at PIR.Loading up the Prius with a
shitload of BB-600's, a Big ass motor, 9" size, my famous Bladz
Scooter(Pit Bike) and on the way. First stop was to Lee Hart's, check on
Sunrise Progress. It's coming along! Rolling Chassis was almost done!
Using running gear fron donar Ford Thunderbirds and Cougers, like
unboltable front and rear suspensions. A 9" motor set in place for a
direct drive setup. It will be rear wheel drive, a battery tunnel down
the middle for whatEVer batteries ya desire. But we are thinking led
acid, although the prices of led acids are going into the stratisphere,
nowadaze! Othe Chemistries look better all the time. Building a basic
Sunrise is Lee and Tim's mind. Make it mild or wild, like a 11"
Transwarp if ya wanna go racing? A tricked out Sunrise could go White
Zombie hunting, in time<g>! Hell? Whynot? Good aero, light body, were
hoping to come in at about 1200 lbs BEFORE stuffing in the batteries? It
is SO heartwarming to see an EV DESIGNED and built as.....Duh!... An EV.
Hundreds of lbs of conversion that ISN'T there! The Sunrise, as we
bought it came like, well, remember those plastic  Revell Car Kits we
all bought as kids? They had a "Chassis" you glued the body on, stuck on
the wheels. OK. A Sunrise as we captured it, was pretty much just that.
a Shell, a Body. Only. No running gear, glass or doors. Not the slick,
tricked out one James Worden has , Solectria CEO and founder set the
miliage records at Tour de Sol, the one I paced in my Diseasel Jetta
those heady years ago, when the NMH battery was the shining Star for
EV's. Long before the General Murders/Chevron robbery of Stan Oshinsky's
miricle battery. That man has had more tragedy in his life as of late.
Iris's death(his Wife) and the burying of the Battery we need, and the
COUNTRY needs. You saw all that in WKtEC. If you havent scene WKtEC,
shame on you<g>!

  Anyhow , back to the story. Lee had a T bird door stripped down, to
use to fit in Sunrises' door frame. It will have to be reskinned to fit
Sunrise's contour, but the whole thing can, hinges, window cranks, glass
frame. The glass will have to be bent a tad, remade to get it right.
yeah, I know you thinking: Door? Big deal. Yes, damn it! BIG deal!
Having been part of the Shitticar, I mean CITICAR, we failed miserably
there, project. I had to come up with a working? Door in about a week,
no nice slam it with a "Chunk"Like slamming shut a Coleman cooler,
apologies to Coleman, as Colemans' DO shut snug! Damn Citicar door was
ill fitting, rattled nicely, looked crappy, too. What was there not to
love<g>! If Lee and Tim get the damn DOORS to work well, they have cut a
milestone there. We'll worry about motors latter. Like the NAPA ad sez"
Get the good stuff!" Netgain motor, Zilla controller, Manzanita Charger.
That's the easy part. Listen up Newbees we never HAD all those goodies
back in ourEV deformative 24-48 volt daze. Aircraft starters passed for
motors, big contactors for controllers.Variacs and ' stench chords for
current control<g>! The Sunrise was lite enough that Jerry Dycus an' I
could lift the body up off the chassis, easier for me than Jerry as he
is a normal size guy. He could even get in a Sparrow, without an
acrobatic act. More on that later. Lee an' Tim have got a HS kid to help
prep the bodie/,chassis so we can pull MORE from the shell in place now.
Alota prepping to sand and reshape stuff so you can "Pull " a body off
the body we're using as a mould.

 Bottom line here; It takes a HELLOVA lot of work to pull this off. I
stand in awe at Lee and Tim have taken this car, too good to die, and
are trying to keep it alive! Sunrise is too good a vehicle to just end
up forgotten. Finished up, tricked out with AC regen drive MNH or A123
batteries it will be a good car for guyz going through EV-1 withdrawl
symtoms. It takes time and money. If ya want to help you have Lee's
address in MN, send him some money, a little or a lot. These guyz are
DOING something. Not talking about it, much, Lee is a bit modest. I'll
toot his horn here, a bit.Sunrise should, and could be EVeryman's EV,
EVentually. Offered as a kit car, as Lee plans, but I think a Turnkey
thing will be in order. Maybe a automotive place in St Cloud would
assemble and ship them, to loving homes?

  Other stuff: I MAY have weakened the I-35 bridge in Mnpls, St Paul,
crossing in my loaded Prius<g>! Now ya know the rest of the story as the
guy used to say on the Radio.We had the famous Miamus River bridge
collapse years ago, in CT. It went down in the wee hours of the
mourning, lucky us! Had it dropped at rush hour it woulda been a MAJOR
disaster!

 Spent a few daze at Lees, time to get a move on for Portland, onward,
through Fargo out the Northern Route. Guess what? Sports Fans, the Open
Road is DEAD! Makes me think of 300 mile EV's as a " Why Bother?' The
trucking Industry OWNS the interstates! You are an afterthought! You
wade along with these locomotive size behemeths, they travel in
wolfpacks at usually over the speed limit;75-80 on the level, you can't
SEE the damn signs you are looking for , if it isnt a 53' box it is a
@#$% SUV, as the roads are cluttered with them, too.!If you shunpike it,
take the secondary roads you can still catch the charm of America 3D23
bux a nite Ma and Pa motels and restaurants, nice folksy folks to chat
with. America is alive and well, out there, the little towns you pit
stop in. Hope top do all this in an EV someday. Like Rt 66, the Mother
Road or the Lincoln Highway, Rt 30, another Mother Road I drove on to
dodge the toll roads to Joliet last year. You can't afford to tow a car
on the Turnpikes!!!

  The Interstates; to be endured if you have to make time, several
hundred miles a day, like a train, 'cept the train doesn't have to eat,
piddle, or sleep<g>!Two daze Chicago to Portland is damn good time, but
it was about the same running times in the 20's with STEAM lokies! One
heartwarming phase of the trip was followuing the BNSF line( Big New
Sante Fe) RR line. Train was being flown by a kindrid soul. I, too,
refuse to let cars PASS me while, I'm driving a train! I keep up or pass
them, a pride thing. Anyhow this freight was cruising effortlessly,
passing up the highway bound trux. HE has a SHITLOAD of trucks tied down
to flatcars. With those block long EMD Diseasels, he had 4, hell! he
probably coulda done about 90mph, those ones are fast. ConRail let me
try some in my Freight running daze, Now if BNSF could double trax their
lines and string catenery, run those freights with electrics.
Shocking(Pun intended) Nobody hauls freight electrically in USA!  Except
a coal outfit, out west used electrics. E-60's to move it out of the
mine. The Milwaukee Road had a marvelous 3000 volt DC system over the
Cascades, built before WW1 it gave service til the 70's when the line
was mismanaged to an untimely death. I saw a Milwaukee Road " Little
Joe" E Lokie, pining away in a park in Misoula MT. It shoulda been out
there pulling tonnage, still. BIGGER than a GG-1, built for the trans
Siberian RR in the 50's when the Feds embargoed the sale of Lokies to
USSR, so Generous Electric had to sell them off at Harbor Freight
prices. Milwaukee gave most of  them loving homes, and a small Chicago
surburban ,Chicago South Shore and South Bend line that still heavy rail
inturban service to South Bend indiana. They hauled freight trains,
right down the street's of South Bend . You gave a 300 ton "Joe" the
right of way in yur VW bug! Took movies pacing one along the streetcar
trax! I dont think CSS and SB saved any? When Amtrak took over the
Pennsy, between NYC and Washington they banished all freight off the
electric lines, brand new, E-44's built in the 60's were junked! To us
RR types a 60 built engine is a new one!E 44's could pull ALL the cars
in the yard a, the Empire State building and the Pyrimids away, too!
Running heavy trains with Electrics is a great EV grin thing. The only
way you know the engine is working HARD is the Ampmeters. " No smoke,
jerking or cinders, Power vastly in excess of requirements" As Tom
Edison once said. I second that!

  Back on the trak(road) again, Over nite stop at Dickenson N Dekoka,
look up old Army buddy. Missed him, too,On through Montana. God! That
goes on FOREVER! Touch of Idaho, through Spokane, didn't see any Tangoes
there<g>!Drop down to I-94? to Portland, Gees! To us Least Coasters it
's so VAST out there! There probably RANCHES bigger than Rhode
Island!?300 mph trains could cut it down to size? Sleep well THAT will
never happen til we get a badly needed regeme change in Washington!

  Wheeled in to PDX, First Stop the Wayland Juice Bar. Nobody home.
Good time to plant the Red Beastie's Tailgate in Wayland's yard. Oddly
enough the Tailgate with " Red Beastie" survived intact onl;y scorched
around the edges. In retrospect AFTER Tony and I parted out Beasties
motor and tranny, I COULD have salvaged the chassis, burnt crispy
critter done, wheels, tires melted. Had we cut off the body had a
trailer to take it away from the sorrow that was Tony's Garage. It was
90 plus degreez, the junk guy was coming to scoop up the rest of the
wreckage, felt good that the motor/ tranny was salvaged. Dennis Berube
looked at the motor and pronounced it fit for servive. Dennis has
stopped over another time.

   Checked in to the Monta Villa Motel, usual PDX home away from home,
E scooterable to Waylands, The Village Inn. While E scooting down
Burnside Ave, was passed by a Max train and the Meenie at the same time.
3 EV's going along, same place an' time! Needlless to say I was left in
the ozone!

  Friday dawned as usual. The activities began to pick up at the juice
bar. Guyz with real cameras showed up! Not the wimpy littly handi cams
like me. The Media was There! Wall Street Uranal, Discovery Channel?
John covered who was who, EVen signed a release if I were to show up on
TV I wouldn't sue them?I was even in the Gone Postal thing but didn't
really show up as it was one of the few times in my life that I wore a
hat!Still got most of my hair, don't bother unless it is BRIGHT. EVen
sunglasses, scaryy? I know. Magic monments after I dumped my CAV 72 volt
motor on Jim Husted to see what HE thought as to using it as a EV motor.
I THINK it is a compound series type?Like Jim has much time to fool
around with THAT one?The Big Moment arrived when Bill Dube brought out
the a123 battery pack! THE Battery of Batteries. The first time Zombie
has run with a batttery pack lighter than the driver!All installed in a
nice aluminum box. I coulda lifted them into the Zoombie! No more Led
Sleds! The issue here; Would Zoombie be TOO light? Not an issue with
most EV's<g>! But Zombie surprised EVerybody by staying stuck to the
trak, handily dusting the archaic ICEs that dared to run against him!
Those famous heartwarming making a 5k trip worth it, runs where Zombie
is a RR car length, Amtrak, or two ahead of the gas rig, which makes
enough NOISE for EVerybopdy. The vids I took the sound is a bit
distracting, as you hear the big ROAR in the backround as zombie warms
up the tires, If ya didn't know better?

  The other star of the show was the Killa cycle! Those bike launches
defy description. Ya have to SEE it to believe it!!! Like shot off a
carrier with a steam catapult!The croud cheared and gasped in amazment
ast the numbers popped up;157MPH! Catching the Acela Express in 7
seconds!It takes me a few minutes to get up there as it only haz 14000
HP. The Slick tire makes the damndist noise! Wierd. It WAS the tire as
the Zilla shut down on one of the passes, the wierd sound went away,
instantly!Well, after spinning the tire off the rim the first time at
the breakstand to warm it up! It takes more guts than I have to RIDE
that thing! Scotty runs it so elegently, NO wheelslip he just GOES!!
Well, I'm preaching to the Choir here. Ya all saw the vids by now or,
like me, was THERE.Them's MY impressions of the evening. Meanwile the
MAX trains glide by, only trak you can go to by trolley.What coulda the
Max train thought seeing the E smoke and what HE could do on, say 3000
volts<g>!

 a123's RULE! they showed their stuff. Now IF they cane up with a coke
can size cell, instead oof the C cell size that we are running now, or
better yet a tomato juice size or a But can size? Guees a million cell
order would get a response from the a123 cell folks. Maybe a BIG List
order, Ha Ha! But at the prices we're being gouged for Led Acids, not a
far out idea. As long as an Oil Co doesn't buy up the rights to THIS
one, like the NMH's we ALMOST had. Racing went on for two nights! Second
night Zombie "outlawed" needs rolll cages and WhatEVer to run faster
than 115. After that run John ran the Northwest Material Handling
Diseasel servive truck down the trak, a scorching 51 in the quarter. I
coulda beat him with my Rabbit, by 3mph!!The Isuzu truck coulda lumbered
slowly but shurely home to CT with me had it needed to. Isuzus make up
for their less than steller trak performances with sheer willingness.
They WANT to run, Had a Isuzu powered S-10 years ago, like alota good
stuff(EV-1's) they don't make them anymore.

  Race time drew to a close, literly as we were among the last to leave
the track. Chatted up the PIR Manager, boy is he onto EV's. Never felt
,more ewelcome at his trak. All PIR has done for us EVers, the Power
drop, power from the mighty Columbia River Hydro Plants top power the
races!NO more stinkin' GENeraters! Just plugitin! Lottsa green
boxes(Thanks Rich) for your pleasure. We have come along way, baby!

  Time to split for the yearAfter downloading ALL my BB-600's, thanks
Steve and Damon, for giving them a loving home, siufficiently lightened
was on my way. Grant's Pass, next Port of call, the scenic route. I lOVE
the coastal highway Rt101. Drove up to Seaside Or my most western point
I could go without a snorkel kit. Put the blades scooter down and
cruised Seaside a bit. You OR folks dont know what yur missing, fresh
sea breezes, CLEAN air, filtered out a bit since leaving China?Anyhow to
me from CT in the exhaust pipe of the country. The road #26 I think,
passes through the woods of OR Over the mountains. You HAVE to stop off
at Camp 18 a logging Museum, and restaurant. If you are fortunate you
could meet the guy that built it all, Gordon Smith. A couple years ago
We got the Royal Tour, he showed us his logging history pix and
artifacts. Maybe because I knew the differance between a Shay and a
Heisler logging locomotive? He treated us to dinner in the lodge, we
stayed on til closing.He has been on the History Channel, Logging
segment. You ask me WHY I drive this trip. Many Magic Moments. Spent the
nite in Seaside, same quirky motel as befor. Gees! They remembered
me<g>!" How ya been/ Nice to have ya again" I love America! So many Good
Folks along the way. I coulda spent more time, along the way. Down to
the Tillamook air museum, youse Origonians should check this out! The
Blimp hanger is awesome! You could have an indoor drag strip, almost. It
is the largest wood framed building on the planet. Wonderfull smell,
like an old wooden house, evoking memories of the old family summer
house in Long Island. You look in awe at all the restored warbirds,
every one the pilot could jump in and taxi out and fly off! A cold
thought hits you up in awile; all these things were created to kill and
destroy, only one transport plane on display, a DC-3.looking ready to
load passengers for a leasurly flight somewhere. 150 MPH was really
FLYING 70 years ago! Drag Racing is a lot more fun than wars to improve
technology. Why does it have to be this way? The engineering time spent
on engines of destruction COULDA been spent on light, strong Autos EVen
Non ev's. Just give me one tenth, of one percent of the defense budget,
to send to Lee to get Sunrise in production, and, Jerry, Thinking of
you, getting Freedom in production, too.

      Another overnight and on to Grant's Pass Or Home of Alltrax,
Seeing Damon again and the gang at Alltrax, talking EV's and seeing how
controllers are built the processed and engineering that goes into them.
This gives you an appreaciation, to them that are doing int; Damon,
Otmar, Rich. Those not that showy, but essential part of our EV's Like
building a working door. You don't think of it until you see how it's
done. What a beautiful spot in Or. that Damon has set up.

  Hop back on I-5 heading South to Clear Lake, dropping in on Pete
Senkowsky's.Hundreds of miles so stopped off in Yerika(SP) CA just over
the border in CA. Forest fires in the distane? SOMETHING burning, but
not up close. Next AM on the way to Petes, over the mountsains and into
Clear lake in time for lunch, and to see his shop setup. Pete builds or
restores the Rapters, so if your Rapture needs a bit of fixin' Peters
yur guy.He has a Sparrow collection, a few other 3 wheel mavericks to
drive and look at. We went Sparrowing along Clear Lake in the Evening.
Being wafted along on 80 amps or less, at 45 mph sun over your
schoulders, a EV religious experiance. People SEE ya in the Sparrow,
wave give ya thumbs up. I would think they would be used to sparrrow
flights in their town, already?MY Rapture was rebuilt and ready, so
swapped it out for my dead T Wrecks, to make THAT well, too.

To be continued, it's LATE here!

Re: Car alternator for a genset

Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G
I think you would get a lot more by taking a 6.7" ADC motor and running
it as a generator.  The 40HP motor would be able to turn it over and run
it but if it is air cooled you will have trouble with it overheating.

--- Evan Tuer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/7/07, Bob Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi EVerybody;
>
>   Yes you CAN go 8578k miles in the good old USA, at
> about 43mpg in a
> Prius(I have a led foot).<snip>

Hey Evan

Thanks for the re-post, that was a much better read
8^)

Jim Husted