Re: De-iceing

Richard Acuti

Ok, you've convinced me. Tapping motor heat won't get the job done.

It is possible to adapt a Super-Beetle fresh air box with the electric blower motor to a regular Beetle. I'll look into doing that and putting a heater core into it.

I'm still going to get that squirrel cage blower from that posted surplus link for a motor cooling blower though.

Rich A.Marylandhttp://www.austinev.org/evalbum/371.html

Re: De-iceing

Doug Weathers
I'm converting a Ghia.  I considered using the existing air ducts, but
decided to use them for wiring conduits instead.

Instead of building a heater, I bought one from Canadian EV.  It's what
they put into their truck conversions.  It's not on their web site -
you have to ask for it.  The part number is CEV-1080144.

It's very nice.  There's a metal box with one of their nice ceramic
elements in it, a three-speed 12V blower with switch, and two pieces of
heater hose and two dashboard vents (perfect for mounting in a VW
dashboard).  I want to work out a way to patch into the defroster
vents, too.  It doesn't come with a heater contactor or relay.

I'll be mounting it in the front trunk on the passenger side.  It could
also fit under the dash, but it would then be recycling cabin air.

If anyone is interested I'll take some pictures and post them.

On Feb 29, 2008, at 7:06 AM, Richard Acuti wrote:

> Ok, you've convinced me. Tapping motor heat won't get the job done.
>
> It is possible to adapt a Super-Beetle fresh air box with the electric
> blower motor to a regular Beetle. I'll look into doing that and
> putting a heater core into it.
>
> I'm still going to get that squirrel cage blower from that posted
> surplus link for a motor cooling blower though.
>

> Rich A.Marylandhttp://www.austinev.org/evalbum/371.html

Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA
http://www.gdunge.com/

Re: De-iceing

damon henry

> I'm still going to get that squirrel cage blower from that posted surplus link for a motor cooling blower though.

Good plan.  I picked up two, one for motor cooling and the other for my heating system.  They are nice blowers, much better than what came stock in my 1970 Datsun :-)

damon

Re: De-iceing

Doug Weathers

On Feb 29, 2008, at 8:28 AM, Doug Weathers wrote:

> Instead of building a heater, I bought one from Canadian EV.  It's what
> they put into their truck conversions.  It's not on their web site -
> you have to ask for it.  The part number is CEV-1080144.

No longer true!  It's on the website now.

<http://www.canev.com/KitsComp/Components/Heater.html>

Anyone still want pictures of mine?  It's not installed yet so you
won't get much more info than from the website pictures.

I suppose some measurements would be of use.

Width of box (not including hose outlets) 6 in
Width of box (including hose outlets) 8 in

Height (not including bracket) 4.5 in
Height (including bracket) 5.5 in

Depth (including fan) 10.5 in

Outer diameter of hose outlets - 2 in