Quantcast

Re: EARTH DAY 2017

In the past, Earth day has been a great opportunity to show off DIY
Electric Cars.  For 18 years I hosted an Event in my home town on
Earth Day, Fort Pierce Electric Car Rally.  Since moving to the Gulf
Coast of Florida we have been going to other Earth Day Events in Tampa
and St. Petersburg. Since we are on their mailing list, the
organizers, once again, sent us an email telling about their event and
inviting us to come.  Upon responding to their email about bringing
our conversion, ( As we have the last 3 years),  we were told that we
were welcomed to come, but not to bring any DIY vehicle because this
year they want to concentrate on OEM Vehicles only.

I believe, one of the purposes of DIYs was to show people what the car
companies could do,  with the idea that if people demanded Electric
Vehicle, they would build them, and they did.

We seem to be entering the next part of the cycle.

"why would I build an EV when I can buy a USED OEM EV for less than
what it costs to make".

"why would I build a car with only a 50  mile range".?

"why can't DIY's charge as fast as the Tesla"?

The opportunities have never been better for DIY people. The parts
seem to be cheaper and there is an abundance of USED parts on the
market.  That said, interest in doing conversions is at an all time
low I believe.   This list was originally created to HELP people with
their conversions, sharing information on how to tackle problems of
converting a GAS car to Electric.   I see very little on this list any
more about anyone doing a conversion.  Most of what is on the list is
about the new cars coming out and public charging of OEM cars.

I think at this point we can look back and say, The best time for
DIY's was around 2005 to 2008?

The change that we have tried to initiate is now trying to eradicate
its originator.

--
Steve Clunn
Merging the best of the past with

Re: EARTH DAY 2017

Very well said Steve, I couldn't agree with you more. The number of people that
are doing conversions or wanting to convert their cars is dwindling. That is
reflected in my sales of J1772 Inlets, which are less and less. And my sales of
the J1772 Plugs, with and without cord, are increasing as more and more people
are making their own EVSE for their OEM EV's

Rush Dougherty
www.TucsonEV.com

Steve;
Happy to hear you're supporting the Earth day events.

Gateway EV will be bringing 6 to 8 cars, motorcycles to the Earth day event in Forest Park, St. Louis, next weekend.
Everyone is welcome to attend.

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 15, 2017, at 9:18 AM, "Steve Clunn via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In the past, Earth day has been a great opportunity to show off DIY
> Electric Cars.  For 18 years I hosted an Event in my home town on
> Earth Day, Fort Pierce Electric Car Rally.  Since moving to the Gulf
> Coast of Florida we have been going to other Earth Day Events in Tampa
> and St. Petersburg. Since we are on their mailing list, the
> organizers, once again, sent us an email telling about their event and
> inviting us to come.  Upon responding to their email about bringing
> our conversion, ( As we have the last 3 years),  we were told that we
> were welcomed to come, but not to bring any DIY vehicle because this
> year they want to concentrate on OEM Vehicles only.
>
> I believe, one of the purposes of DIYs was to show people what the car
> companies could do,  with the idea that if people demanded Electric
> Vehicle, they would build them, and they did.
>
> We seem to be entering the next part of the cycle.
>
> "why would I build an EV when I can buy a USED OEM EV for less than
> what it costs to make".
>
> "why would I build a car with only a 50  mile range".?
>
> "why can't DIY's charge as fast as the Tesla"?
>
> The opportunities have never been better for DIY people. The parts
> seem to be cheaper and there is an abundance of USED parts on the
> market.  That said, interest in doing conversions is at an all time
> low I believe.   This list was originally created to HELP people with
> their conversions, sharing information on how to tackle problems of
> converting a GAS car to Electric.   I see very little on this list any
> more about anyone doing a conversion.  Most of what is on the list is
> about the new cars coming out and public charging of OEM cars.
>
> I think at this point we can look back and say, The best time for
> DIY's was around 2005 to 2008?
>
> The change that we have tried to initiate is now trying to eradicate
> its originator.
>
> --
> Steve Clunn
> Merging the best of the past with
> the best of the future.
> www.Greenshedconversions.com

Re: EARTH DAY 2017

                             Hi Steve and All,

                                   Things are not that bad.   I just sold  Volt pack modules  to replace a lead pack in Tarpon Springs last week and the 404 meter you sold me, I'll need another one shortly.
                                   In St Pete I've been asked to do a workshop/class  building one of my EV Trike Pickups for the Eco Village there which they'll use as
 needed .
                                   Talked with the St Pete Mayor's assistant about  producing various lightweight EVs as a jobs creator along with my 63 Vette EV, El Camino and other EV projects and getting far more solar, wind by cutting permit fees, making standards, etc.  Maybe take the city off Duke and make their own more green lower cost system.
                                    And St Pete has a good number of chargers for anyone downtown at least.
                                    Going to the various car meets would get those interested in building cars to look to build or convert EVs.
                                     Making EVs that are not available as big auto kind of have sedans covered, pickups, lightweight EVs and composite EVs are some of the sellable choices.
                                     And as I was looking around it dawned on me I finally have everything needed to finish the FreedomEV, a 3wh, 2 in the front  2 seat composite  150 mile lithium powered EV.
                                    I'd promised I wouldn't buy new lead batteries but got the cores from the lithium  pack swap to get my EV trike pickup back on the road which I did this morning.  The less good ones will be to store solar as I go offgrid.
                                      Jerry Dycus

 Subject: Re: [EVDL] EARTH DAY 2017
 To: [hidden email]