Re: Firefly's press release

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefly's press release

Seth Myers
    I actually got to meet Kurt Kelly, the designer behind the Firefly
battery, and a David (forgot last name, engineer there) at a battery
conference this summer - it sounds like this truck battery, or maybe the
next battery after it, has just one electrode (forget which) replaced by
their graphite system, and they hope to get both replaced in a following
iteration.  These truck batteries don't seem quite designed for ev use yet,
unfortunately.  It also sounded like they are working on a version of their
battery for hybrid applications, though we pure ev'ers are of course waiting
for a high energy rather than a high power battery.
    Ironically enough, Kurt Kelly originally studied something like
ethnobiology to work with oil exploration to discover where lots of (little
or otherwise) animals died to better locate good oil drilling sites, but
likely due to Hubbert's (continental US) oil peak, predicted in 1950s and
verified in 1972 or something, oil drilling business took a nosedive and Mr.
Kelly ended up at Caterpillar (though I'm not exactly sure doing what, until
this came along).

my .8 cents worth of knowledge on this subject,

Seth Myers

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:21:30 -0700 (PDT)
> From: David Dymaxion <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Press release on Firefly "Oasis" battery
> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]>
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> I have some more hope than usual -- Firefly has some big-name partners,
> not to mention being a subsidiary of Caterpillar. For similar reasons I
> have better than usual hope for Tesla.
>
> I think their goal with the truck thing is to highlight to investors they
> are going after a brand new market, rather than trying to displace current
> battery sales. A law is changing trucker's battery needs. They probably
> can't make it on price (at least not initially), so they have to show a
> need for more $$ for this better battery. Also, Firefly does list lots of
> other markets on their website. http://www.fireflyenergy.com
>
> I'm also glad to see they are trying to be the cheap "exotic" battery.
> Hopefully they'll have similar energy density to A123, and power density
> enough to get you 400 hp (300 kW) out of 400 lbs (~200 kg) of batteries.
> (Hopeful specs made up by assuming Fireflys will be 1/3 the weight of
> Optimas, but similar power and energy).
>
> ----- Original Message ----
> From: Danny Miller <[hidden email]>
> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:22:37 AM
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Press release on Firefly "Oasis" battery
>
> ... What seems strange is they focused on explaining this trucker market,
> even though boats, RVs, electric cars, solar installations, medical
> equipment, etc could all make great use of such a technology and
> there's  plenty of money in these markets.  Or just explaining that with
> the rising cost of lead your technology may eventually be essential to
> making economical lead-acid batteries too. ...
>


_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Russco confusion

Hunter Cook-2
Howdy everybody,

So I installed my new-to-me Russco SC 18-120 SO and 24 new T105
batteries yesterday. Mostly it went well. But now upon charging I'm a
bit confused. I plugged the pack in around 8pm last night, and it's
still charging now at 10:45am; the shutoff timer hasn't even started.
Isn't 15+ hours a really long time for this? Also, I thought I
understood that the battery current should steadily fall as the voltage
rises during charging...but last night (when the DC volts showed ~151)
the DC amps were showing ~6, and now (showing 161v) they are around 10.

Is this a problem, or am I just paranoid and it's doing what it's
supposed to be doing?

Hunter

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Roland Wiench
Your maximum charge volts should be about 7.5 x 24 = 180 volts at a battery
temperature of 80 F.  Your battery charger should be set at this voltage,
which is the maximum voltage it will go to.

Setting the ampere rate if it's a constant current type of charger, the
voltage will rise to that set point. When the voltage gets to that maximum
voltage you set, then the ampere should drop.  You should monitor it the
first time, to see how long it takes for the ampere to drop to about 10
percent of the ampere-hour of the battery.  This is how long your timer is
set at.

Lets say your batteries are at 50% State of Charge (SOC) and you remove
about 100 AH from the battery, and you are charging at 6 amps, this will
take about 100 ah / 6 amps = 16.6 hours plus about 10 percent more.

If you started at 6 amps, then you have only 14 hours of charge on this
battery.  I normally charge my T-145's at 35 to 45 amps which takes about
hour at 75% SOC.  The higher ampere hour battery takes a little more force
to rise the voltage to the maximum setting.

I test out charging my batteries at a very low ampere rating, and its take
for ever to charge it. The voltage will only rise to a certain amount and
just sets there.

Roland


----- Original Message -----
From: "Hunter Cook" <[hidden email]>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:51 AM
Subject: [EVDL] Russco confusion


> Howdy everybody,
>
> So I installed my new-to-me Russco SC 18-120 SO and 24 new T105
> batteries yesterday. Mostly it went well. But now upon charging I'm a
> bit confused. I plugged the pack in around 8pm last night, and it's
> still charging now at 10:45am; the shutoff timer hasn't even started.
> Isn't 15+ hours a really long time for this? Also, I thought I
> understood that the battery current should steadily fall as the voltage
> rises during charging...but last night (when the DC volts showed ~151)
> the DC amps were showing ~6, and now (showing 161v) they are around 10.
>
> Is this a problem, or am I just paranoid and it's doing what it's
> supposed to be doing?
>
> Hunter
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Hunter Cook-2
In reply to this post by Hunter Cook-2
Sorry, I forgot to mention how the dials were set. I have the voltage
dial on 80, as recommended in the manual as a good starting point for a
144v pack. The current is on 70, which had it pulling ~12A from the wall
initially. Right now it says it's only pulling about 2A from the wall,
but the DC amps are around 11.

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 10:51 -0500, Hunter Cook wrote:

> Howdy everybody,
>
> So I installed my new-to-me Russco SC 18-120 SO and 24 new T105
> batteries yesterday. Mostly it went well. But now upon charging I'm a
> bit confused. I plugged the pack in around 8pm last night, and it's
> still charging now at 10:45am; the shutoff timer hasn't even started.
> Isn't 15+ hours a really long time for this? Also, I thought I
> understood that the battery current should steadily fall as the voltage
> rises during charging...but last night (when the DC volts showed ~151)
> the DC amps were showing ~6, and now (showing 161v) they are around 10.
>
> Is this a problem, or am I just paranoid and it's doing what it's
> supposed to be doing?
>
> Hunter
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Evan Tuer
On Nov 1, 2007 4:19 PM, Hunter Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to mention how the dials were set. I have the voltage
> dial on 80, as recommended in the manual as a good starting point for a
> 144v pack. The current is on 70, which had it pulling ~12A from the wall
> initially. Right now it says it's only pulling about 2A from the wall,
> but the DC amps are around 11.

I bet it isn't, your amp-meter is probably faulty.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Voltmeter discrepency

Hunter Cook-2
In reply to this post by Hunter Cook-2
Hi again,

Just one more question... The voltmeter inside the vehicle consistently
reads below the one on the battery charger. The charger was claiming
163v just now, but in the truck it only says 155. Is this typical? Which
one should I be going off of to decide when I've reached finishing
voltage?

Thanks

Hunter.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Hunter Cook-2
In reply to this post by Evan Tuer
Really? It's not a seperate meter...there's one LCD readout and a dial
to switch between ACA/ACV/DCA/DCV. Could just one setting on it be
busted like that?

> I bet it isn't, your amp-meter is probably faulty.
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Hunter Cook-2
In reply to this post by Roland Wiench
Thanks a lot Roland; as usual it was very enlightening. I'm confused on
one point though; you say to watch for the amps to drop to 10% of the
amp-hour capacity of the battery, which for t105s is 225Ah....I haven't
seen the amps anywhere near 22.5, so far the highest I've seen is about
11. Am I missing something important here?

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 10:16 -0600, Roland Wiench wrote:

> Your maximum charge volts should be about 7.5 x 24 = 180 volts at a battery
> temperature of 80 F.  Your battery charger should be set at this voltage,
> which is the maximum voltage it will go to.
>
> Setting the ampere rate if it's a constant current type of charger, the
> voltage will rise to that set point. When the voltage gets to that maximum
> voltage you set, then the ampere should drop.  You should monitor it the
> first time, to see how long it takes for the ampere to drop to about 10
> percent of the ampere-hour of the battery.  This is how long your timer is
> set at.
>
> Lets say your batteries are at 50% State of Charge (SOC) and you remove
> about 100 AH from the battery, and you are charging at 6 amps, this will
> take about 100 ah / 6 amps = 16.6 hours plus about 10 percent more.
>
> If you started at 6 amps, then you have only 14 hours of charge on this
> battery.  I normally charge my T-145's at 35 to 45 amps which takes about
> hour at 75% SOC.  The higher ampere hour battery takes a little more force
> to rise the voltage to the maximum setting.
>
> I test out charging my batteries at a very low ampere rating, and its take
> for ever to charge it. The voltage will only rise to a certain amount and
> just sets there.
>
> Roland
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Hunter Cook" <[hidden email]>
> To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:51 AM
> Subject: [EVDL] Russco confusion
>
>
> > Howdy everybody,
> >
> > So I installed my new-to-me Russco SC 18-120 SO and 24 new T105
> > batteries yesterday. Mostly it went well. But now upon charging I'm a
> > bit confused. I plugged the pack in around 8pm last night, and it's
> > still charging now at 10:45am; the shutoff timer hasn't even started.
> > Isn't 15+ hours a really long time for this? Also, I thought I
> > understood that the battery current should steadily fall as the voltage
> > rises during charging...but last night (when the DC volts showed ~151)
> > the DC amps were showing ~6, and now (showing 161v) they are around 10.
> >
> > Is this a problem, or am I just paranoid and it's doing what it's
> > supposed to be doing?
> >
> > Hunter
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > For subscription options, see
> > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Roland Wiench



----- Original Message -----
From: "Hunter Cook" <[hidden email]>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Russco confusion


> Thanks a lot Roland; as usual it was very enlightening. I'm confused on
> one point though; you say to watch for the amps to drop to 10% of the
> amp-hour capacity of the battery, which for t105s is 225Ah....I haven't
> seen the amps anywhere near 22.5, so far the highest I've seen is about
> 11. Am I missing something important here?

Made a boo boo, it should at least 1/20th or even better yet when the
batteries are new at 1/40th.  Mine batteries after six years old are about
C/20 now.

>
> On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 10:16 -0600, Roland Wiench wrote:
> > Your maximum charge volts should be about 7.5 x 24 = 180 volts at a
> > battery
> > temperature of 80 F.  Your battery charger should be set at this
> > voltage,
> > which is the maximum voltage it will go to.
> >
> > Setting the ampere rate if it's a constant current type of charger, the
> > voltage will rise to that set point. When the voltage gets to that
> > maximum
> > voltage you set, then the ampere should drop.  You should monitor it the
> > first time, to see how long it takes for the ampere to drop to about 10
> > percent of the ampere-hour of the battery.  This is how long your timer
> > is
> > set at.
> >
> > Lets say your batteries are at 50% State of Charge (SOC) and you remove
> > about 100 AH from the battery, and you are charging at 6 amps, this will
> > take about 100 ah / 6 amps = 16.6 hours plus about 10 percent more.
> >
> > If you started at 6 amps, then you have only 14 hours of charge on this
> > battery.  I normally charge my T-145's at 35 to 45 amps which takes
> > about
> > hour at 75% SOC.  The higher ampere hour battery takes a little more
> > force
> > to rise the voltage to the maximum setting.
> >
> > I test out charging my batteries at a very low ampere rating, and its
> > take
> > for ever to charge it. The voltage will only rise to a certain amount
> > and
> > just sets there.
> >
> > Roland
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Hunter Cook" <[hidden email]>
> > To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
> > Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:51 AM
> > Subject: [EVDL] Russco confusion
> >
> >
> > > Howdy everybody,
> > >
> > > So I installed my new-to-me Russco SC 18-120 SO and 24 new T105
> > > batteries yesterday. Mostly it went well. But now upon charging I'm a
> > > bit confused. I plugged the pack in around 8pm last night, and it's
> > > still charging now at 10:45am; the shutoff timer hasn't even started.
> > > Isn't 15+ hours a really long time for this? Also, I thought I
> > > understood that the battery current should steadily fall as the
> > > voltage
> > > rises during charging...but last night (when the DC volts showed ~151)
> > > the DC amps were showing ~6, and now (showing 161v) they are around
> > > 10.
> > >
> > > Is this a problem, or am I just paranoid and it's doing what it's
> > > supposed to be doing?
> > >
> > > Hunter
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > For subscription options, see
> > > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
> > >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > For subscription options, see
> > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Voltmeter discrepency

Roland Wiench
In reply to this post by Hunter Cook-2
All the volt meters and amp meters should read the same.  Make sure you have
all the loads on the shunt on the load side, not the battery side.

The battery volt meter source can come off at the battery side of the shunt.

Make sure that the volt meter wires are kept separate from the amp meter
shunt sensor wires.  I have seen where the volt meter and amp meter share
one of the wires.

There is a certain size sensor wires that should be use for the length of
circuit that is use.  Different size wires, will cause different readings
between one meter at the end of a circuit and another one at the beginning
of a circuit.

Be sure you install fuses on both lines of the volt and amp meter coming off
a battery pack.  You could have over 1000 amp potential on these sensor
wires.   I fuse mine instrument leads with Bussman 1 amp limitron fuses.

Check for any wire connections that may have a increase of resistance.  A
spade terminal that is sandwich between two stainless steel washers will act
like a resistor.

One EV person made a mistake by connecting there DC-DC converter off the
battery side which would not show the addition battery ampere.  I have any
of my other DC loads coming off the main battery shunt, but I also have
smaller shunts for each load, so I know what each load is pulling off the
main battery pack.

Roland


----- Original Message -----
From: "Hunter Cook" <[hidden email]>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:35 AM
Subject: [EVDL] Voltmeter discrepency


> Hi again,
>
> Just one more question... The voltmeter inside the vehicle consistently
> reads below the one on the battery charger. The charger was claiming
> 163v just now, but in the truck it only says 155. Is this typical? Which
> one should I be going off of to decide when I've reached finishing
> voltage?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hunter.
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Erik-72
In reply to this post by Hunter Cook-2
Hi Hunter,

The current should be going full bore until the voltage set point is
reached. Honestly, I'm not sure why the current increased later. Do
the current and voltage control knobs seem to be working right? Have
you double checked the boost transformer wiring?

Tale a look at the voltages on the individual batteries if you
haven't. One or a few of them may be full before the others and
causing trouble. If the voltages are out of whack charge them
individually until the voltages are pretty close after resting for an
hour or so.

As a point of reference for charging time, I've got 16 flooded
batteries (US Batt 8V) with an SC-30. A full charge, not counting the
constant current part takes 4 or 5 hours. Your pack is 50% larger, and
the charger half as fast, so 15 hours is not unreasonable from empty.

Erik



>
> Message: 26
> Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:51:29 -0500
> From: Hunter Cook <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [EVDL] Russco confusion
> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]>
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain
>
> Howdy everybody,
>
> So I installed my new-to-me Russco SC 18-120 SO and 24 new T105
> batteries yesterday. Mostly it went well. But now upon charging I'm a
> bit confused. I plugged the pack in around 8pm last night, and it's
> still charging now at 10:45am; the shutoff timer hasn't even started.
> Isn't 15+ hours a really long time for this? Also, I thought I
> understood that the battery current should steadily fall as the voltage
> rises during charging...but last night (when the DC volts showed ~151)
> the DC amps were showing ~6, and now (showing 161v) they are around 10.
>
> Is this a problem, or am I just paranoid and it's doing what it's
> supposed to be doing?
>
> Hunter
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

wjdennis@qwest.net
Just a silly question, but...
Is the amp meter digital?   Could it be reading 1.1 instead of 11?

Bill Dennis

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Hunter Cook-2
In reply to this post by Erik-72
Well, the light finally started flashing a few minutes ago, so the
timer's going. Volts reads ~174. The weird thing is the DC amps; I'm
starting to think Evan's right and that ammeter is just broken. They are
showing the highest now they ever have, at about 13-14. And this while
the AC amps are dropping, currently around 3A. The math doesn't work out
at all on that of course...

Seems strange to me.

Hunter

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 13:10 -0500, Sarah & Erik wrote:

> Hi Hunter,
>
> The current should be going full bore until the voltage set point is
> reached. Honestly, I'm not sure why the current increased later. Do
> the current and voltage control knobs seem to be working right? Have
> you double checked the boost transformer wiring?
>
> Tale a look at the voltages on the individual batteries if you
> haven't. One or a few of them may be full before the others and
> causing trouble. If the voltages are out of whack charge them
> individually until the voltages are pretty close after resting for an
> hour or so.
>
> As a point of reference for charging time, I've got 16 flooded
> batteries (US Batt 8V) with an SC-30. A full charge, not counting the
> constant current part takes 4 or 5 hours. Your pack is 50% larger, and
> the charger half as fast, so 15 hours is not unreasonable from empty.
>
> Erik
>
>
>
> >
> > Message: 26
> > Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:51:29 -0500
> > From: Hunter Cook <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: [EVDL] Russco confusion
> > To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]>
> > Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> > Content-Type: text/plain
> >
> > Howdy everybody,
> >
> > So I installed my new-to-me Russco SC 18-120 SO and 24 new T105
> > batteries yesterday. Mostly it went well. But now upon charging I'm a
> > bit confused. I plugged the pack in around 8pm last night, and it's
> > still charging now at 10:45am; the shutoff timer hasn't even started.
> > Isn't 15+ hours a really long time for this? Also, I thought I
> > understood that the battery current should steadily fall as the voltage
> > rises during charging...but last night (when the DC volts showed ~151)
> > the DC amps were showing ~6, and now (showing 161v) they are around 10.
> >
> > Is this a problem, or am I just paranoid and it's doing what it's
> > supposed to be doing?
> >
> > Hunter
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Roger Stockton
Hunter Cook wrote:

> Well, the light finally started flashing a few minutes ago,
> so the timer's going. Volts reads ~174. The weird thing is
> the DC amps; I'm starting to think Evan's right and that
> ammeter is just broken. They are showing the highest now they
> ever have, at about 13-14. And this while the AC amps are
> dropping, currently around 3A. The math doesn't work out at
> all on that of course...

Sounds like the ammeter may be indicating the right magnitude, but you've dropped a decimal place somewhere.  3A @ 120VAC would be pretty darn close to 1.3-1.4A @ 174VDC out once you take efficiency into account.

Cheers,

Roger.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Hunter Cook-2
Hey, no kidding! A bit embarrassing that got by me, but thanks for the
heads up.

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 12:47 -0700, Roger Stockton wrote:

> Hunter Cook wrote:
>
> > Well, the light finally started flashing a few minutes ago,
> > so the timer's going. Volts reads ~174. The weird thing is
> > the DC amps; I'm starting to think Evan's right and that
> > ammeter is just broken. They are showing the highest now they
> > ever have, at about 13-14. And this while the AC amps are
> > dropping, currently around 3A. The math doesn't work out at
> > all on that of course...
>
> Sounds like the ammeter may be indicating the right magnitude, but you've dropped a decimal place somewhere.  3A @ 120VAC would be pretty darn close to 1.3-1.4A @ 174VDC out once you take efficiency into account.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger.
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Arg!

Hunter Cook-2
And it was all going so well...

Got all charged up and went out to the hardware store, about 1.5 miles
away. It's on the highway, and the truck was really accelerating pretty
well right up to 60mph...when suddenly I heard a pop from behind me and
lost all my juice.

Darn.

I'm thinking (hoping) a fuse; there are two of them back there under the
bed. Thought I had everything wired up nice, and I was only giving it
about 100A, so I wonder why it would blow? Anyway, I didn't have any
props for the bed (doh!) so I had to walk back here and get some so I
can look and see. Now I'm headed back out there in my ICE car.

Anyhow, where do I get those huge fuses? Something tells me the hardware
store down the way isn't going to have them... I'll bet the electrical
supply joints are closed by now.

Thanks

Hunter

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Lawrence Rhodes
In reply to this post by Hunter Cook-2
A 144v pack should charge at 172.8 to 180vdc.  Lawrence Rhodes.......

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Russco confusion

Cor van de Water
In reply to this post by Hunter Cook-2
Depends on the battery type.
Yellow tops can be charged at up to 15.8V as I learned
from an AC Propulsion implementation of BMS, so then
the pack voltage can go over 190V.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Proxim Wireless Corporation http://www.proxim.com
Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Lawrence Rhodes
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 3:37 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Russco confusion

A 144v pack should charge at 172.8 to 180vdc.  Lawrence Rhodes.......

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Arg!

Roland Wiench
In reply to this post by Hunter Cook-2
Hello Hunter,

Call directly to evparts.com and you will have them over nite or in a day.
Always carry spare parts in threes.  When your fuse blows, you use one out
of the spares, leaving two.  This leave you time to reorder for stock.

Some time we in our electrical work, will have a fuse blow because of aging
or not the correct type.  You want the bolt in semi-conductor type which you
can get from  EV Parts which they have in stock.  Even my local electrical
supply store do not stock the correct size, so I have to have them order
them.

I carry a complete EV tool box, that has every replacement part I need to
repair or temporary fix the EV so I can move it.  One time way back in the
stone age, I made a temporary fuse out of ganging together 50 to 100 amp
rated fuse wire and crimping all the ends together with a 2/0 wire terminal
to make a 400 amp fuse, while I waited for a replacement.

I also make up many jumper cables to jump out a bad battery and if I had to,
jump out the controller, and contactor drive it with 1/4 to 1/2 battery pack
voltage driving it very slowly in low gear.

Roland


----- Original Message -----
From: "Hunter Cook" <[hidden email]>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 4:34 PM
Subject: [EVDL] Arg!


> And it was all going so well...
>
> Got all charged up and went out to the hardware store, about 1.5 miles
> away. It's on the highway, and the truck was really accelerating pretty
> well right up to 60mph...when suddenly I heard a pop from behind me and
> lost all my juice.
>
> Darn.
>
> I'm thinking (hoping) a fuse; there are two of them back there under the
> bed. Thought I had everything wired up nice, and I was only giving it
> about 100A, so I wonder why it would blow? Anyway, I didn't have any
> props for the bed (doh!) so I had to walk back here and get some so I
> can look and see. Now I'm headed back out there in my ICE car.
>
> Anyhow, where do I get those huge fuses? Something tells me the hardware
> store down the way isn't going to have them... I'll bet the electrical
> supply joints are closed by now.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hunter
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Arg!

Bob Bath
Hunter, I don't know your rig, sorry, so will offer
the following guesses:
a)  You have a low pack voltage, so compensate by
pulling lots of amps.  Getting to freeway speed is a
sustained pull of amps, not a short one.  
b)  You are in a high gear for what you're trying to
do (say 3rd at 45 up a hill, instead of keeping in 2nd
with lower amps, higher RPMs).  In my experience
though, this resulted in a battery terminal puddling,
not the fuse going...  Hmmm.
c)  You had a loose nut on the fuse where the problem
occurred in the first place.

That's all that comes to my mind...
Hope you figure out what the deal was.
peace,


--- Roland Wiench <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Hunter,
>
> Call directly to evparts.com and you will have them
> over nite or in a day.
> Always carry spare parts in threes.  When your fuse
> blows, you use one out
> of the spares, leaving two.  This leave you time to
> reorder for stock.
>
> Some time we in our electrical work, will have a
> fuse blow because of aging
> or not the correct type.  You want the bolt in
> semi-conductor type which you
> can get from  EV Parts which they have in stock.
> Even my local electrical
> supply store do not stock the correct size, so I
> have to have them order
> them.
>
> I carry a complete EV tool box, that has every
> replacement part I need to
> repair or temporary fix the EV so I can move it.
> One time way back in the
> stone age, I made a temporary fuse out of ganging
> together 50 to 100 amp
> rated fuse wire and crimping all the ends together
> with a 2/0 wire terminal
> to make a 400 amp fuse, while I waited for a
> replacement.
>
> I also make up many jumper cables to jump out a bad
> battery and if I had to,
> jump out the controller, and contactor drive it with
> 1/4 to 1/2 battery pack
> voltage driving it very slowly in low gear.
>
> Roland
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Hunter Cook" <[hidden email]>
> To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List"
> <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 4:34 PM
> Subject: [EVDL] Arg!
>
>
> > And it was all going so well...
> >
> > Got all charged up and went out to the hardware
> store, about 1.5 miles
> > away. It's on the highway, and the truck was
> really accelerating pretty
> > well right up to 60mph...when suddenly I heard a
> pop from behind me and
> > lost all my juice.
> >
> > Darn.
> >
> > I'm thinking (hoping) a fuse; there are two of
> them back there under the
> > bed. Thought I had everything wired up nice, and I
> was only giving it
> > about 100A, so I wonder why it would blow? Anyway,
> I didn't have any
> > props for the bed (doh!) so I had to walk back
> here and get some so I
> > can look and see. Now I'm headed back out there in
> my ICE car.
> >
> > Anyhow, where do I get those huge fuses? Something
> tells me the hardware
> > store down the way isn't going to have them...
> I'll bet the electrical
> > supply joints are closed by now.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Hunter
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > For subscription options, see
> > http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>


Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 "CiviWithACord" DVD shows footage of my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
1234