Re: Fwd: A comparative efficiency study of ... now Redundancy!

Re: Fwd: A comparative efficiency study of ... now Redundancy!

> I've always had it beat into my pointy engineering head
>  to minimize component count. Which is also why
>  id never own a Tesla with 6800 or so cells in their battery.

That philosophy fails to recognize the value gained in multiple
redundancy.
The Tesla battery of 6800 cells is far more reliable since it has 74 cells
in PARALLEL for each 3.6volt lithium unit.  Compared to a Leaf with only 2
cells in parallel at each stage in the stack.

IN the Tesla the impact on any single battery failure is then only 3% of
the impact of a cell problem on a car with larger format cells.

I'd take the multiple redundancy of the Tesla any day.

Bob