Re: How to help "move things forward"

cowtown
<<< Well, it sounds like a good idea. The EV charging lists seem pretty
dead to me, so I think a new EV charging list would be a great idea. >>>

Depends: where I live in Northern California, I can hit a public Avcon station
about every 20 miles, Sacramento to S.F., San Jose to Santo Rosa...but some of
the spots in large malls weren't getting used, so they've been getting removed
to make room for the paying (ICE-driving) customers. Luckily, the ones I need
the most are still working (thank the infrastructure gods).

Re: How to help "move things forward"

cowtown
P.S. - the list of public charging, whether working or not, is kept pretty
up-to-date: http://www.evchargernews.com/

Re: How to help "move things forward"

mos6507-2
This is probably a dumb question, but homebrew Evs don't use inductive
charging, right?  It's just a washing machine plug, right?  Or just a
standard indoor style plug?  So how do you hook up to public charging
stations built for things like the EV1?

Re: How to help "move things forward"

Timothy Balcer
> This is probably a dumb question, but homebrew Evs don't use inductive
> charging, right?  It's just a washing machine plug, right?  Or just a
> standard indoor style plug?  So how do you hook up to public charging
> stations built for things like the EV1?

I don't know that you can :)

I was going to mention, the issue with doing this is twofold. One is
that early adopters assume a bit of risk (of being stranded) if anyone
flakes out on them... which can happen in a volunteer system like
this. Second, I think that having a standard outlet setup and a
locking mechanism of some kind is also important.

I think the outlet should have a dryer plug and a standard 110 volt
plug (or two) Whatever it is, though, it should be the same for the
entire organization so that people know what to expect. I think there
should also be a simple locking mechanism, perhaps a combination or
just a lock that shares a key with the whole organization (same key
for every lock) just to make people more comfortable.

The early adoption risk could be mitigated by setting up a coop
structure, charging a membership fee and sourcing standard outlets for
members, and so on. This way people have actually sunk something into
it, and will take it more seriously.

--T

Re: How to help "move things forward" Comments.

Bob Rice-2

Re: How to help "move things forward"

cowtown
<<<< This is probably a dumb question, but homebrew Evs don't use inductive
charging, right?  It's just a washing machine plug, right?  Or just a
standard indoor style plug?  So how do you hook up to public charging
stations built for things like the EV1? >>>>

An Avcon connector can still be bought (making sure it's the Ford-emulator
model); go to the EV charging list and you'll see entries for inductive
(paddles), conductive (Avcon by default), and a few normal plug types (OC
listing). If you live where block heaters are used, you're set, but I'm more
than 1000mi from that kind of access (and I'd still need an Avcon box and 240V
outlet)!