Re: Level 1 charging battery

I'm taking another look at Level 1 charging.

I saw a post by a kind knowledgable member here about Volt modules.
I think new batteries and inverter(s) would be easier for me to work with.

Does anyone know of a single source for both
an "ebike pack" with charger and inverter?
Barring that, I am considering an ebike battery/charger
and an inverter

48v 50ah Lifepo4 Lithium Battery Portable Battery E-Bike Scooter Power
Packs+BMS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191753106437?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$800.00
or
48v 30ah Lifepo4 Lithium Battery Portable Battery E-Bike Scooter Power
Packs+BMS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191752917891?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
US $580.00

My first throught was to buy one 30ah pack and if it works, get a second.
Either to use in parallel or in succession.

The 30ah size is smaller and lighter, more manageable.
But I don't know if the 30ah battery pack would supply enough amps
continuously.  Maybe I need the 50ah.  I am told the Leaf charger draws
12amps

I appreciate your throughts.
Seth

Pure Sine Wave Inverter 3000W Power Inverter 48V to 120V Off Grid LED
Display   US $313.20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201705518062?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
(They also have a slightly smaller one for a few dollars less)

Details on the batteries:

48v 30ah Lifepo4 Lithium Battery Portable Battery E-Bike Scooter Power
Packs+BMS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191752917891?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
US $580.00
48V 30Ah LiFePO4 Battery pack is made of 16 pcs of 30000mAh LiFePO4 Cells
* One Special 16 cells PCB with balance function is installed with battery
pack to protect battery from over charging, over discharging and over drain
* Voltage : 48V
* Capacity: 30Ah
* Cut-off voltage: 34V
* Max. discharging current: 30Amp
* Max Continuous Discharging Amperage: 25 Amps
* Rated Discharging Amperage: 20 Amps
* Charging Current: <5 Amps
* Charging Voltage: 57.6 Volts
* Lifecycle: > 85% capacity after 1000 cycles.
* Lifecycle of single cell: >85% capacity after 1500 cycles, > 70% capacity
after 3000 cycles. (<1C discharge rate and <1C charge rate)
* Dimension: 280X170X150mm
* Weight: about 14kg

48v 50ah Lifepo4 Lithium Battery Portable Battery E-Bike Scooter Power
Packs+BMS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191753106437?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$800.00
One Special 16 cells PCB with balance function is installed with battery
pack to protect battery from over charging, over discharging and over drain
* Voltage : 48V
* Capacity: 50Ah
* Cut-off voltage: 34V
* Max. discharging current: 100Amp
* Max Continuous Discharging Amperage: 50 Amps
* Rated Discharging Amperage: 40 Amps
* Charging Current: <5 Amps
* Charging Voltage: 57.6 Volts
* Lifecycle: > 85% capacity after 1000 cycles.
* Lifecycle of single cell: >85% capacity after 1500 cycles, > 70% capacity
after 3000 cycles. (<1C discharge rate and <1C charge rate)
* Dimension: 290X220X190mm
* Weight: about 21kg

Re: Level 1 charging battery

Cruisin
Warning, those URL's are Chinese junk LifeP04 batteries, not he same as the Volt, etc.

Re: Level 1 charging battery

Seth,
I presume this is still so you can charge your Leaf at work?
Really the simplest way is to find a Level 1 plug to plug into.
It does start with scouting around the building if there is any
accessible plug, either on the outside or near enough to a door that has
enough gap underneath to allow a cord strung from your parking to that
outlet.
I have even considered an outlet on the roof (all commercial buildings
here have HVAC on the roof, often with extra outlets sitting around that
are either no longer needed or can be controlled from switches or
timers.
Even parking lot lighting might be an option, though there is usually no
provision for additional power beyond the service the lights already are
wired to, so you'd need to live on reduced budget and there is also the
question of if it permanent power or on a timer?
When powering from an inaccessible outlet, so you need the cord to stay
in place it is recommended to not leave the power on outside the times
you use it, so either get a remote controlled outlet switch or a timer
to only power the cord at times you are there, to avoid abuse.

Now for your idea of the bike battery: Those packs are often optimized
for bike use which typically draw around 400W so you might see 24, 36
and 48V packs with around 15-20A max draw and my experience (though that
is a few years old) has been that many of those cheap pouch packs are
hard pressed to maintain even 1C discharge (which would be 30A in case
of a 30Ah pack.

The standard Leaf trickle charger draws exactly 12A from 120V so 1440
Watts.
This requires at least 2-3kVA inverter and such an inverter if such an
inverter comes from a UPS that has an internal battery pack, is
typically designed to work 5 minutes at full power and then run out of
battery. So, if you are supplying external power you must de-rate the
inverter or it will quickly overheat. For example it may use a
transformer that *can* generate 2000VA but it is cheap and lossy so it
produces a lot of heat and it is not cooled since it only needs to work
5 minutes before shutdown.
If you want to use a larger bike pack to recharge the Leaf through an
inverter, scout for an inverter from a UPS that has external battery
connectors and can be wired to a large number of packs to provide real
backup power, or start with an inverter designed for off-grid supply and
get one that is known to have a rugged quality.
Someone several years back blogged about his experience with a Chinese
made and designed inverter from Power Jack which he essentially
re-designed to work:
https://ludens.cl/Electron/chinverter/chinverter.html

I have had good experience with PowerWare a solid US brand UPS that I
believe is now owned by Eaton, another UPS maker. That inverter worked
off external 120VDC battery packs, so an ideal combination with the EV
that I used to drive which had 120V lead-acid pack, so I simply wired
the inverter to that pack and have used it to provide backup power for
hours. I am no longer using it as I sold the EV.
Recently I bought an APC SURT to see if I can run it off a Leaf pack in
my truck.
I rather spend my money on high quality used stuff rather than
questionable quality new stuff, but have to accept that it looks used.

For charging I hardly ever plug into L2 charging, just L1 and at work I
can park in the back, in front of the access door to the electrical
room, where I plug the trickle charger into a standard wall outlet. I
also carry a 100ft extension cord, just in case.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.

Re: Level 1 charging battery

​Cor,

Thanks.  Yes to all the above.  I actually got an opportunity charge when I
visited my brother 53 miles from home.  We visited a local Rabbi who
treated us to donuts candles and power.

I work in an office park.  Everything is locked down by their
Corporate....and requests for change go through our Corporate beaurocracy.
The one avenue not yet explored is a gas station/repair shop.

There is a hole in the cinder block big enough to run a 12 ga. Extension
cord....but the nearest outlet is far and shared.  If I have to work on a
Sunday, that might work.

I am in a carpool, with people who prefer to have heat.

A setup like this would allow me to turn it on.

I have been watching the market of 30 KWh Leafs.

They aren't yet in my area in my price range.

Maybe 40 KWh Leafs will come to NYC area soon.

Maybe Bolts will get here first.

Then I will evaluate whether I would buy

a GM product.

Or maybe I will get a job on this side of the Hudson first :-)

Thanks

Seth

Re: Level 1 charging battery

>>>The one avenue not yet explored is a gas station/repair shop.

oops that sentence and the one below are separate...
The repair shop might rent me a space + L1.   or even L2 :-)

Other than that, not far from my desk is a loading dock....

>>>There is a hole in the cinder block big enough to run a 12 ga.

Re: Level 1 charging battery

Ah yes, bureaucracy and the fear of the consequences of a possible
unsafe situation will kill a lot of good options.

Places that I have regularly charged (note: this does not include any
public charging as any experienced EV'er would expect)

are at a home where I only had the privilege of street parking, since
the owners of the property used the driveway.

The good thing of this home was that it was in an area that lacked
sidewalks, so you would park on gravel or asphalt right next to the
fence around the yard.

Pedestrians would usually walk at the side of the road and not squeeze
between fence and cars, so I could run my 100ft extension cord from the
car next to the end of the driveway, up the far side of the driveway as
to not be a trip hazard and plug into an outdoor outlet on the garage
(which was used as storage).

At work we had an outdoor patio with tables and seats and also an
outdoor GFCI outlet. That outlet apparently had seen little use for
years, so its internal contacts were corroded and when I started
plugging in regularly and drawing up to 15A current, it soon burned the
contact of the GFCI relay and no longer worked.

Since it was the only thing wired to a separate 20A breaker, the
building manager allowed me to swap the GFCI outlet with a new 20A one
and that has provided me service for several years. The only drawback of
using the patio outlet was that I needed to roll out the 100ft extension
cord from one of the parking spaces behind the patio and alongside the
building to the outlet, but that was a minor thing.

Since then we moved to a different building with only one outdoor outlet
in a busy spot of the parking and in full use by the landscaping, so I
don't even want to try plugging into that. Instead I found an outlet
next to the access to the electrical room in the back parking lot and as
a backup I can park near either one of two other emergency exit doors
(without blocking or causing a trip hazard obviously) and sneak an
extension cord under the door, but I have only used that solution once.

Since almost 4 years I charged at home in my garage from a 120V outlet,
even though I have a JuiceBox ever since its first release, my truck was
fine being charged from 120V since its 240V inlet was an L14-20 and I
would need the converter cable (which I did carry in the truck) to
convert from J1772 to L14-20, so I only used it when I needed public
charging which was rare.

Since this year I now have a factory EV (2011 Nissan Leaf) which I
occasionally plug into the J1772 at home or into the 120V outlet at
work.

The last development is a US Electricar S10 that I am equipping with
Leaf modules. It has standard 120/240V charging and I am probably going
to install a J1772 inlet on it to make it easy to plug in.

I also have plugged in when visiting friends and you can see if you can
find anyone (residence or business) near the office park that will allow
you to plug in for a modest fee to cover for electricity and
inconvenience.

Success!

________________________________

Thanks.  Yes to all the above.  I actually got an opportunity charge
when I visited my brother 53 miles from home.  We visited a local Rabbi
who treated us to donuts candles and power.

I work in an office park.  Everything is locked down by their
Corporate....and requests for change go through our Corporate
beaurocracy.
The one avenue not yet explored is a gas station/repair shop.

There is a hole in the cinder block big enough to run a 12 ga. Extension
cord....but the nearest outlet is far and shared.  If I have to work on
a Sunday, that might work.

On Dec 26, 2016 2:34 PM, "Cor van de Water via EV" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

[...]

office +1 408 383 7626 <tel:%2B1%20408%20383%207626>
Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130 <tel:%2B31%2087%20784%201130>
[...]

e%0d%0aName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT>
[...]

Well, most offices the loading dock is mostly unused, so you have all the opportunity to sneak a cord under the roll-up door and plug in.

If you can't move the door every day then consider a "sacrificial" cord that reaches from an outlet inside to just outside the door, with you plugging/unplugging the cord from the outlet (to avoid abuse) and plugging your Leaf charger into the cord.

30kWh is a standard option on the 2016 Leaf, so it should be available (not likely second hand if that is what you are looking for)

On 26 Dec 2016 at 12:41, Seth Rothenberg via EV wrote:

> Does anyone know of a single source for both an "ebike pack" with
> charger and inverter? Barring that, I am considering an ebike
> battery/charger and an inverter

Do I understand you correctly -- that you're looking for a supplemental
battery for your EV that works by giving the EV a "transfusion" via its
standard level 1 charging?

If you're after an ebike battery I can recommend Ping batteries, which are
offered in packages with chargers.  I have 3 of them.  The oldest 2 are now
5 years old, and still are within 5% of their rated capacity.  They're not
high power batteries, but can run 1C to perhaps 2C comfortably.