Re: Low-mileage Leaf EV glut

No glut in NC. The used car dealer that used to have a dozen in stock now has none and it's difficult to find any less than $10k

Bill

Re: Low-mileage Leaf EV glut

Bill,
Maybe organize a transport of a couple from California?
I have 2 Leafs that I can't get sold for a reasonable price here.
Cor.

No glut in NC. The used car dealer that used to have a dozen in stock
now has none and it's difficult to find any less than $10k

Bill

Re: Low-mileage Leaf EV glut

Ask for volunteer drivers to take them  from California to North Carolina.
That would be quite an adventure.

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Cor van de Water via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Bill,
> Maybe organize a transport of a couple from California?
> I have 2 Leafs that I can't get sold for a reasonable price here.
> Cor.

Re: Low-mileage Leaf EV glut

On 05/26/2017 05:58 PM, Robert Pike via EV wrote:
> Ask for volunteer drivers to take them  from California to North Carolina.
> That would be quite an adventure.

Adventure is my middle name.  I've bored you here with tales of moving
imievs beyond their range by towing with a Tesla.  Effectively, charging
the imievs at SuperChargers.  If a tow bar can be rigged on a Leaf, it
would be pretty straight forward.  If a well spaced Supercharge route
can be identified, it seems TWO Leafs might be moved by one Tesla.

Drive Leaf EVs from CA, exporting to NC : Low-mileage Leaf EV glut

brucedp5

-Ask for volunteer drivers to take them from California to North Carolina.
That would be quite an adventure.-

I envision two sets of volunteers, one would have a way to tow to NC (Truck& flat bed)
and the other would be some really brave souls with plug in hand, a fat wallet to empty, and way too much time on their hands.

Lets assume two volunteers decide to take Cor's Leaf EVs to N.C. And they pony up for all expenses ahead of time including some cheap transport back home, to be reimbursed by the buyer. Also lets assume Cor's Leaf EVs are no slouch, and have L3 DC CHAdeMO and L2-6kW charging ability (other Leaf EVs available cheap do not).

While the trek might sound thrilling
 (it perked my ears up, but doubt I would fit in a Leaf for a long journey),
like the 1971 movie Vanishing Point
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_Point_(1971_film)

To maximize range you likely would keep it to a boring 55mph or less (the cops won't be chasing you), and you would be spending a whole lot of L2 charging time, over and over and over.

Remove the thoughts the movie brought of drugs, sex, and rock-n-roll, and add paying full price for an RV space to get a charge overnight 9and you would still need to find a nearby motel to sleep at).

Nope, looking a plugshare.com and only enabling the CHAdeMO L3, j1772, and the 14-50 charging points, there will still be large gaps between charges that you have to overcome.
Looking at plugshare's map, no mater which route you chose there are gaps, here is one of many:
https://goo.gl/maps/NYU6XU6Gc8Q2

Going south from Cor's to LA would be straight forward, but the map shows the distance between Mojave and Barstow is ~78 miles

Somehow achieving that, and continuing on i-40 east, the next hardship is from Barstow to Needles
https://goo.gl/maps/mFRJWhyEunk
 a gap of ~150 miles

I will stop at this point, because not only do I think you see my point, it would not be an adventure unless you wanted to write a book on why not to buy an EV.

I do want to point out others have already crossed the U.S. and you just need to network with them to know the who, what, where, when, how they did it. Terry Hershner is one of those,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Hershner
https://www.linkedin.com/in/electric-terry-hershner-20361423
https://www.youtube.com/user/gasfreeearth
 but remember he has a 300mi range e-motorcycle.

To read about specifically how a ~75mi Leaf EV has done it, see
https://www.google.com/search?q=q=electric+leaf+travel+across+U.S.

IMO, I think the buyer should go check Cor's Leaf EVs both online and then also travel to his place to complete their decision and the transaction. Then arrange for transport to N.C. (last car transporter cost quote was $1,400).

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

Re: Drive Leaf EVs from CA, exporting to NC : Low-mileage Leaf EV glut

Hi Bruce,
I have a bit of experience in transporting a Leaf, since my first Leaf
was picked up in SoCal
(only 1 mile away from the Mexican border, literally exit 1 on highway
5, where the lot of
an insurance company had it stored) and so when I went to get it, I
borrowed the light truck
from a colleague, attached the tow dolly that I had bought a couple
months earlier since I had been
picking up 2 Prius'es in the previous months as well and the great thing
of a second hand tow dolly is
that there is no cost: you can sell it at the same price as you buy it,
there is no registration needed and you can
tow it with any vehicle you like, unlike U-Haul who are very strict with
what type of towing
vehicle is used, besides charging you a good chunk of cash.
Anyway, I drove 500 miles south with the empty tow dolly, slept a few
hours in a Motel 6,
picked up the Leaf and drove another 500 miles north with the Leaf in
tow. LA traffic made my trip
many hours longer than hoped for, but within 30 hours of leaving I made
it back with Leaf.

So, in my opinion the best way to transport an EV long distance is to
come with a vehicle that has
a 2" ball hitch, you may or may not bring a tow dolly, and return with
the EV on a tow dolly,
it is probably worthwhile to compare the options with different vehicles
regarding fuel cost
and sleeping arrangements.
Since I still have a tow dolly and do not care too much if I keep it or
sell it with the Leaf, that is
likely the most cost effective way to transport *if* you are not
counting your own time.
Else, a transporter is likely the most efficient and cost effective, but
I have not priced that out.
When I needed to pick up the Leaf, it was a deal that essentially went
like: can you come tomorrow?
OK, then the car is yours. So, I went.
Cor.

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If a well spaced Supercharge route can be
> identified, it seems TWO Leafs might be moved by one Tesla.

If you attach a tow bar to the front of your Tesla and a hitch on one
of the Leaf's then you could charge both at the same time.

"No, officer. I'm not pulling a Tesla and a Leaf with a Leaf. That
Leaf is pulling just my Tesla. My Tesla is pulling that Leaf so only
one car is being pulled by one car, so what is the problem again?"

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328