Re: New Motor Care

Jeff Major

Dennis,

Depends on the motor in question, but likely 36 volts
is too high for a no load free run on a series motor.
12 volts usually gets them spinning about as high as
you dare.

Jeff

--- "Pestka, Dennis J" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Jim and others;
>
> Thanks for the great response.
> I have one more question.
>
> Would it be OK to run/test this motor with 36VDC ?
>
> I already have this set this up in my work shop.
> I have a double ended male plug pig tail that I run
> from the accessory
> plug on my Electric tractor into an outlet in the
> basement of my shop.
> This outlet feeds another outlet on the upper floor.
> I used all #12 wire with 2 prong twist lock plugs
> that match the
> accessory plug on my tractor, and each outlet is
> labeled 36VDC.
> This allows me to fool with 36VDC motors and
> accessories for my tractor
> upstairs in my shop.
>

> Thanks;
> Dennis
> Elsberry, MO

Re: New Motor Care

Jeff Major

Hi Joseph,

See inserted comments.......

--- "Joseph T. " <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Depending on all sorts of things, to fully
> seat brushes will take hours to days of running at
> load.  The brushes will function best when they are
> well seated, that is have the lowest contact drop,
> lowest friction and longest life."
>
> So in other words, when you first have your electric
> motor installed
> into your car, you need to give it a break in
> period. Correct?

You know, if I just paid a thousand or two for a new
DC motor, I'd run that baby for a few days, no load
reduced voltage on the bench trying to lay down at
least some comm film (patina) and seat the brushes to
at least some degree.  If it appeared that the brushes
had not been properly shaped by the factory, I'd stone
them.  Then, when finally installed, I'd take it easy,
long runs at moderate speeds, for the first dozen or
so battery discharges.  Checking along the way several
times to see if the comm film was progressing.  If
things appeared O.K., then I'd be temped to let it all
hang out.  You'd be much more likely to get 10 or 20
years out of your brushes.

> "First off, there is shaping and seating.  Brushes
> rarely exactly fit the radius of the comm
> surface....So
> a "stone" is used to shape the brush to the correct
> radius. ......This is an abrasive bar which is
> pressed
> against the comm while it is spinning. This process
> should be done at
> the end of the line in the motor factory."
>
> One, if it's (supposed to be) done at the factory,
> why do it again?

Difference between "supposed to be" and "actually
done".

Regards,

Jeff

Re: New Motor Care

Hi-Torque Electric

wrote:

> Jim and others;
>
> Thanks for the great response.
> I have one more question.
>
> Would it be OK to run/test this motor with 36VDC ?

Hey Dennis

I'll be less polite than Jeff here 8^P  No you can
not!  Well you could but you'd probably be running at
6000 RPM's and would probably blow up your new motor!

There really isn't a need to free spin (no load) an
FB1 on any more than 12 volts.

Please, no boom boom 8^P EVen Tick tick tick is very
bad 8^o  (that's the sound a lifted bar makes BTW).
Which is followed by boom boom, LMAO!
Hope this is clear enough, or do I need to be more
forceful 8^)

Cya
Jim Husted
Hi-Torque Electric

Re: New Motor Care

Hi-Torque Electric

--- [hidden email] wrote:

> I have to agree Mike.
>
> It is the affection given to a motor that will give
> it the strength to
> take on the hard times that life unexpectedly throws
> at you, like
> flooded streets, slow ICE's or even fast ones.
>
> It also gives a motor the inspiration and courage to
> say things like,
> "Feed me!..... Amps!  I want Amps... Give me more
> Amps!!!"
>
> It's a good thing.

OMG

This is just like when Darth Vader turned to the dark
side of the force!  Come to the light Ken, it's not to
late, LMAO!!!

Ya it's all good till Rod tells you he's your father,
LMAO 8^o and then chops your hand off with a plasma
sabor ;^)

Tweety should not be used for the dark side, Sylvester
might be but not Tweety, LMAO!

Had fun

Jim Husted
Hi-Torque Electric

Re: New Motor Care

Pestka, Dennis J
Read  you loud and clear !
That's why I ask the experts.

Thanks to everyone;
Dennis
Elsberry, MO

> Would it be OK to run/test this motor with 36VDC ?

Hey Dennis

I'll be less polite than Jeff here 8^P  No you can not!  Well you could
but you'd probably be running at 6000 RPM's and would probably blow up
your new motor!

There really isn't a need to free spin (no load) an
FB1 on any more than 12 volts.

Please, no boom boom 8^P EVen Tick tick tick is very bad 8^o  (that's
the sound a lifted bar makes BTW).
Which is followed by boom boom, LMAO!
Hope this is clear enough, or do I need to be more forceful 8^)

Cya
Jim Husted
Hi-Torque Electric

Re: New Motor Care

Joseph T.
Thanks for responding to my question! These posts should be put in the
EVDL library or on Jim Husted's website.