Re: Prius pickup anyone? and RV Extension?

Re: Prius pickup anyone? and RV Extension?

Do it!

All of my Prius are salvage.  I fixed 'em with wood and solar panels,
since I cant do body work in metal:
Photos of black one, gold one and white one scattered over this page:

http://aprs.org/Truck-e.html

And now my dream is a BOLT with camper extension... Remove hatch, and
attach a two-caster-wheel trailer with dual rigid mounting points.  The
bed and wheels are one piece and the roof and sides attach to the removed
HATCH hinges.  Then the top and bottom overlap and can slide so that the
whole car/trailer is one aerodynamic teardrop shape for minimum drag.

And when you stop, the teardrop clamshell opens to a full height trailer
in the back with expanding canvas sides...

Someday...

Bob, WB4APR

Re: Prius pickup anyone? and RV Extension?

Bob, your woodwork on the Prius is beautiful. I have never seen anything
like that.

Gail

On 1/8/2018 8:13 AM, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:

> Do it!
>
> All of my Prius are salvage.  I fixed 'em with wood and solar panels,
> since I cant do body work in metal:
> Photos of black one, gold one and white one scattered over this page:
>
> http://aprs.org/Truck-e.html
>
> And now my dream is a BOLT with camper extension... Remove hatch, and
> attach a two-caster-wheel trailer with dual rigid mounting points.  The
> bed and wheels are one piece and the roof and sides attach to the removed
> HATCH hinges.  Then the top and bottom overlap and can slide so that the
> whole car/trailer is one aerodynamic teardrop shape for minimum drag.
>
> And when you stop, the teardrop clamshell opens to a full height trailer
> in the back with expanding canvas sides...
>
> Someday...
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Re: Prius pickup anyone? and RV Extension?

And I had to fight Maryland State inspections.  They failed it on about a
dozen counts..
I hit the roof and showed them in the LAW that I was compliant on every one
of those p oints.
Duh, I read the law and built to conform.

THe cheif state inspector said, "well that is just the way we do it".  ANd
I said, ok, lets go see the Governor!

Apparently they have been making up their own rules and interpretiations of
the rules much narrower than they are actually written.
THey backed down and passed it.

IE, in Maryland a wood bumper is allowed by law.  Must be 3" thick of
hardwood.  Mine was laminated from 4 layers of 3/4" Oak from old pallets.
They wanted solid, but I said that laminated wood layers is stronger than
solid.  ANd had the engineering proof...  passed... etc...

Bob