Re: Reposting, Still Need Help, 86 Year Old Uncle Still Trying After 34 Years to Get Bucket List GE EV1-B Based EV Car Running

Re: Reposting, Still Need Help, 86 Year Old Uncle Still Trying After 34 Years to Get Bucket List GE EV1-B Based EV Car Running

Talked again with Flight Systems tech support, they recommended
re-manufacture even if they bench test the unit good if we wanted reliable
operation. If 33 year old unit is too old to support re-manufacture by them
they guaranteed they would have a re-manufactured unit that would work. My
uncle is tired of waiting, cost is not a concern anymore, time is. One of
his daughters cornered me and said, all he wants in life is to drive this
car once around the block before he dies. So tomorrow me and my cousin will
visit my indestructible ageless uncle at work, do another test run through
then out the EV1-B unit comes if it fails to run again and I will get Flight
Systems on the phone.

Pic below of uncle yesterday with a granddaughter and one of his 18 and
counting great-grandchildren. Yes, he would fit right in with ZZ Top.

http://ptandjb.com/eddiesEV1/uncle0791.JPG

ptandjb Frontier via EV wrote:

> Talked again with Flight Systems tech support, they recommended
> re-manufacture even if they bench test the unit good if we wanted reliable
> operation. If 33 year old unit is too old to support re-manufacture by them
> they guaranteed they would have a re-manufactured unit that would work. My
> uncle is tired of waiting, cost is not a concern anymore, time is. One of
> his daughters cornered me and said, all he wants in life is to drive this
> car once around the block before he dies. So tomorrow me and my cousin will
> visit my indestructible ageless uncle at work, do another test run through
> then out the EV1-B unit comes if it fails to run again and I will get Flight
> Systems on the phone.

I've done some business with Flight Systems. I was happy with their
work, but they are expensive. They are in the business of supporting
industrial customers, who want things fixed RIGHT even if it costs a
lot. If a fork lift is "down for repairs", the company is losing money
hand over fist until they get it fixed!

On the other hand, the GE EV-1 is so rugged that I can't see how much
would be gained by "re-manufacturing" it. It's a bit like expecting your
car to run better if you wash it.

So give Flight Systems a call. :-) They can bench-test it, and should be
able to give you detailed instructions on how to hook it up in your
uncle's car. I'll bet you it works, without needing any repairs. The
most likely problem is that the particular controller board in your EV-1
has some "feature" (safety interlock or option) that is making life
interesting.

I don't know where you're located, but the BEST option would be to find
a sympathetic industrial EV repair shop near you. Have them do a service
call, and fix it right in your uncle's garage. Someone familiar with
these controllers can probably get it going quickly.
--
There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a
little worse and sell a little cheaper. Those who consider price