Re: Rustrak data loggers, current and voltage sensors

Re: Rustrak data loggers, current and voltage sensors

Lee Hart
A friend of mine, Herb Johnson, has a bunch of Rustrak data loggers and
probes. He thought they might be useful for EVs to measure and log
charging currents, or just for general "keeping track of where your
power is going" applications. He has more information on them at

http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/rustrak.html

He just got them, and hasn't yet tested them or figured out prices.
Contact him if you're interested. Herb's a good guy, and you should be
able to get a good deal.

Comments: The larger donut-shaped current sensors are almost certainly
current transformers; they only work on AC. The small square ones may be
transformer-based (AC only), but might also be hall-effect based (would
work on DC as well as AC). He has manuals, so you should be able to find
out.
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

Re: Rustrak data loggers, current and voltage sensors

SteveS-5
Lee - you just sent me in the way-back machine. Seeing 'Rustrack'
brought back a memory of their strip chart recorder we used in the 70's
that used a solenoid-activated bar that struck a meter movement needle
against pressure sensitive paper. Glad to see these are a bit more modern!

- SteveS

Lee Hart wrote:

> A friend of mine, Herb Johnson, has a bunch of Rustrak data loggers and
> probes. He thought they might be useful for EVs to measure and log
> charging currents, or just for general "keeping track of where your
> power is going" applications. He has more information on them at
>
> http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/rustrak.html
>
> He just got them, and hasn't yet tested them or figured out prices.
> Contact him if you're interested. Herb's a good guy, and you should be
> able to get a good deal.
>
> Comments: The larger donut-shaped current sensors are almost certainly
> current transformers; they only work on AC. The small square ones may be
> transformer-based (AC only), but might also be hall-effect based (would
> work on DC as well as AC). He has manuals, so you should be able to find
> out.

Re: Rustrak data loggers, current and voltage sensors

mark at evie-systems
We have a new BMS coming out that uses chart recorders... one for each
cell.  We have a trailer we tow behind the vehicle to carry the 48 paper
recorders and a little directional camera that the pilot can point to
each one for an in-dash display.

:)

SteveS wrote:
> Lee - you just sent me in the way-back machine. Seeing 'Rustrack'
> brought back a memory of their strip chart recorder we used in the 70's
> that used a solenoid-activated bar that struck a meter movement needle
> against pressure sensitive paper. Glad to see these are a bit more modern!
>
> - SteveS

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
mark@evie-systems.com
"Delay is preferable to error", Thomas Jefferson.

Re: Rustrak data loggers, current and voltage sensors

mark at evie-systems
...well, it was funny in my head.

mark@evie-systems.com
"Delay is preferable to error", Thomas Jefferson.

Re: Rustrak data loggers, current and voltage sensors

Ben-149
Made me chuckle too, Mark.

On May 9, 2009 8:09 PM, "mark at evie-systems" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

...well, it was funny in my head.

mark at evie-systems wrote: > We have a new BMS coming out that uses chart
recorders... one for eac...

_______________________________________________ General EVDL support:
http://evdl.org/help/ Usage gu...

mark at evie-systems wrote:
>> We have a new BMS coming out that uses chart recorders... one for each
>> cell.  We have a trailer we tow behind the vehicle to carry the 48 paper
>> recorders and a little directional camera that the pilot can point to
>> each one for an in-dash display.
 > ...well, it was funny in my head.

Here's a version of this that actually works. I used it in the 1970's to
log data.

I have a Simpson 605 recording voltmeter, and a Western Electric
26-position 4-pole stepping relay. The 605 looks just like a typical
analog multimeter, except that it also takes a roll of special chart
paper. Every 1 second, a solenoid taps the meter pointer against the
paper to leave a black dot. The chart paper is advanced by a motor at a
rate determined by a gearbox. Thus, it draws a graph of voltage or
whatever versus time.

The stepper relay was advanced by the 1/second solenoid drive. Thus it
could graph up to 26 channels of data. With multiple battery voltages,
what you actually got was all the battery voltages superimposed; you
could easily see the highest and lowest, and where the average tended to
be, though you couldn't tell which graph corresponded to which battery.

This is a purely mechanical and analog system. No computers, not even
any ICs!