Re: Solar trailer (a 1000-to-1 waste)

> Personally, I think a mobile array for a vehicle is a fools errand, or
> maybe a pass-time for the independently wealthy.

Its sure is.  I have solar panels all over the roof of my two priuses.  I
tell people that it makes 0.1% economic sense to do it.

The smaller panels that fit the roof of a car cost TEN times as much per
watt as the big ones on my house.  And my house has ONE HUNDRED TIMES more
surface area.  Therefore the value of solar on my car is one thousand times
less practical.

ALso, WHen I tow even my small 6 foot solar trailer (300 watts) behind my
prius, my gas mileage goes down from 55 MPG down to 42 MPG.  Meanwhile it
is only producing enough power to gain only a single 1 MPG even on the best
summer day.

So again, the math makes no sense whatsoever.

The value to me of my solar panels is to have power in the field while
parked at camping and Ham radio events.

Makes NO SENSE for traction and propulsion.  See my solar car and trailer.
http://aprs.org/FD-Prius-Power.html

Now putting solar panels on top of an RV that is used 1% of the time and
spends the other 99% of the time plugged into one's own home grid-tied,
does make sense.  Since it is providing full retail electricity 99% of the
time while parked.

Bob, WB4PRR

Re: Solar trailer (a 1000-to-1 waste)

I agree 100%.
Folks forget that it takes significant energy to tow even a small
trailer. Much more than one would think. Probably more energy than the
panels produce, especially at highway speeds.

Best to leave them on the roof of your house, or put them on a "solar
shed" for your car to park under at work.

Bill D.

On 12/29/2017 8:27 AM, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:

>> Personally, I think a mobile array for a vehicle is a fools errand, or
>> maybe a pass-time for the independently wealthy.
>
> Its sure is.  I have solar panels all over the roof of my two priuses.  I
> tell people that it makes 0.1% economic sense to do it.
>
> The smaller panels that fit the roof of a car cost TEN times as much per
> watt as the big ones on my house.  And my house has ONE HUNDRED TIMES more
> surface area.  Therefore the value of solar on my car is one thousand times
> less practical.
>
> ALso, WHen I tow even my small 6 foot solar trailer (300 watts) behind my
> prius, my gas mileage goes down from 55 MPG down to 42 MPG.  Meanwhile it
> is only producing enough power to gain only a single 1 MPG even on the best
> summer day.
>
> So again, the math makes no sense whatsoever.
>
> The value to me of my solar panels is to have power in the field while
> parked at camping and Ham radio events.
>
> Makes NO SENSE for traction and propulsion.  See my solar car and trailer.
> http://aprs.org/FD-Prius-Power.html
>
> Now putting solar panels on top of an RV that is used 1% of the time and
> spends the other 99% of the time plugged into one's own home grid-tied,
> does make sense.  Since it is providing full retail electricity 99% of the
> time while parked.
>
> Bob, WB4PRR

Re: Solar trailer (a 1000-to-1 waste)

Small lightly loaded trailers with little wind resistance can add 50-80 Wh/mile. Taller/heavier trailers can double vehicle energy consumption.

On December 29, 2017 2:20:20 PM CST, Bill Dube via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I agree 100%.
>Folks forget that it takes significant energy to tow even a small
>trailer. Much more than one would think. Probably more energy than the
>panels produce, especially at highway speeds.
>
>Best to leave them on the roof of your house, or put them on a "solar
>shed" for your car to park under at work.
>
>Bill D.
>
>On 12/29/2017 8:27 AM, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
>>> Personally, I think a mobile array for a vehicle is a fools errand,
>or
>>> maybe a pass-time for the independently wealthy.
>>
>> Its sure is.  I have solar panels all over the roof of my two
>priuses.  I
>> tell people that it makes 0.1% economic sense to do it.
>>
>> The smaller panels that fit the roof of a car cost TEN times as much
>per
>> watt as the big ones on my house.  And my house has ONE HUNDRED TIMES
>more
>> surface area.  Therefore the value of solar on my car is one thousand
>times
>> less practical.
>>
>> ALso, WHen I tow even my small 6 foot solar trailer (300 watts)
>behind my
>> prius, my gas mileage goes down from 55 MPG down to 42 MPG.
>Meanwhile it
>> is only producing enough power to gain only a single 1 MPG even on
>the best
>> summer day.
>>
>> So again, the math makes no sense whatsoever.
>>
>> The value to me of my solar panels is to have power in the field
>while
>> parked at camping and Ham radio events.
>>
>> Makes NO SENSE for traction and propulsion.  See my solar car and
>trailer.
>> http://aprs.org/FD-Prius-Power.html
>>
>> Now putting solar panels on top of an RV that is used 1% of the time
>and
>> spends the other 99% of the time plugged into one's own home
>grid-tied,
>> does make sense.  Since it is providing full retail electricity 99%
>of the
>> time while parked.
>>
>> Bob, WB4PRR

Re: Solar trailer (a 1000-to-1 waste)

SO much negativity on this list towards someone that just asked a simple question, and acknowledged the challenges and issues up front.
Personally, I applaud the initiative and willingness to tilt at technological, economic, and other assorted windmills.

As my Tai Kwon Do instructor used to say,"impossible today, possible tomorrow."

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 29, 2017, at 12:20 PM, Bill Dube via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I agree 100%.
> Folks forget that it takes significant energy to tow even a small trailer. Much more than one would think. Probably more energy than the panels produce, especially at highway speeds.
>
> Best to leave them on the roof of your house, or put them on a "solar shed" for your car to park under at work.
>
> Bill D.
>
> On 12/29/2017 8:27 AM, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:
>>> Personally, I think a mobile array for a vehicle is a fools errand, or
>>> maybe a pass-time for the independently wealthy.
>>
>> Its sure is.  I have solar panels all over the roof of my two priuses.  I
>> tell people that it makes 0.1% economic sense to do it.
>>
>> The smaller panels that fit the roof of a car cost TEN times as much per
>> watt as the big ones on my house.  And my house has ONE HUNDRED TIMES more
>> surface area.  Therefore the value of solar on my car is one thousand times
>> less practical.
>>
>> ALso, WHen I tow even my small 6 foot solar trailer (300 watts) behind my
>> prius, my gas mileage goes down from 55 MPG down to 42 MPG.  Meanwhile it
>> is only producing enough power to gain only a single 1 MPG even on the best
>> summer day.
>>
>> So again, the math makes no sense whatsoever.
>>
>> The value to me of my solar panels is to have power in the field while
>> parked at camping and Ham radio events.
>>
>> Makes NO SENSE for traction and propulsion.  See my solar car and trailer.
>> http://aprs.org/FD-Prius-Power.html
>>
>> Now putting solar panels on top of an RV that is used 1% of the time and
>> spends the other 99% of the time plugged into one's own home grid-tied,
>> does make sense.  Since it is providing full retail electricity 99% of the
>> time while parked.
>>
>> Bob, WB4PRR

Re: Solar trailer (a 1000-to-1 waste)

 in case, or not, please remember the guy who drove the "Solar Taxi" 40,000+ km around the world. a small 2 seater EV, towing about a 30ft+ (~9-10m) trailor with PV panels and a single heated battery.