Re: Used Volt packs, Leaf battery pack connector

Re: Used Volt packs, Leaf battery pack connector

                         Hi Tom and All,
                                  Volt packs have good and bad points.   Good is they seem to have a long life and put out good power and cost less.  They are also available because of other things like bulky, hard to make packs from as just 4-5-7 kwhr modules limited to multiples of 48vdc/2kwhr mostly.
                                  One should not buy, charge loose modules that don't have end plates.   If you do I've found out the cells will be damaged as they swell if not restricted.  Fact is I'd never buy  modules that wasn't complete including BMS and never apart.  Also it makes sure they are all from the same car aged the same.
                                   Not hard though as the cheapest way is buying a sealed pack or crashed EV running $1500-$2k now.  It comes with lots of goodies too you'll need like wiring, connectors, BMS, etc..
                                   And use cooling as the heat will build up as the cells are buried in the plastic casing and coolant the only way to get heat out effectively..,
                                    They are bulky, hard to fit and 3 different sizes so make sure they'll fit.
                                    Wrecked Volts are getting common and other than EV people, no one wants them.
                                    Has anyone hacked the Volt 2012-13 BMS yet?
                                                           Thanks,
                                                                   Jerry Dycus

 On Friday, December 23, 2016, tomw via EV
 <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

 > May I ask why
 the two of you (John, Cor) decided to use Leaf packs
 rather
 > than Volt packs?  The spinel
 chemistry used in Leaf batteries is known to
 > be
 > inferior to the
 NMC chemistry which I think is used in Volt packs, and
 the
 > Volt packs have liquid temperature
 control to further improve longevity. On
 > the other hand, the Leaf modules seem to
 be much easier to work with if you
 > want
 to make a custom pack, say by combining the basic 2s2p
 modules in
 > parallel to make higher Ah
 modules, or to fit an existing battery box in a
 > conversion.
 >
 > Then there are also Tesla S modules
 available which seem to be the best

 chemistry for longevity and the highest energy density.
 Some are concerned
 > with the safety of
 these higher energy density cells, but the Tesla packs
 > seem very well designed for safety with
 each cell fused on both anode and

 cathode, and my understanding is you have access to the bms
 wires from each
 > module so can
 straight-forwardly connect a bms to them.

 > Just wondering what
 drove your decision.  I've toyed with the idea of
 using
 > one of the above in my conversion
 for a couple years now, but my LiFePO4

 pack, though 7 years old, is still doing fine so I'm
 reticent to spend more
 > money on
 batteries, and I'd kind of like to see how long it lasts
 before
 > significant degradation.  I
 lean more toward Tesla modules since I could
 > double my pack size and have a bit LESS
 weight, and I think with proper
 > care
 > in the implementation, packaging, and
 operation (bms) they would be safe.

 > I also prefer liquid cooling since I think
 the end of life of my cells will
 > be
 caused by creeping up internal resistance, not capacity
 loss.  We get
 > fairly high temperatures
 here in July and August (~100F, sometimes above)
 > so
 > the higher
 internal resistance will result in more pack heating and
 pack
 > temperatures exceeding the ~40C
 (104F) limit above which it seems that

 greater deterioration occurs. I've exceeded that a few
 times, and expect it
 > will get more
 frequent as ir creeps up.

 in context: http://electric-vehicle-

 discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Leaf-battery-pack-
 > connector-tp4684927p4685015.html
 > Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion

 Nabble.com.

 > group/NEDRA)

Re: Used Volt packs, Leaf battery pack connector

Cruisin
Important, don't buy from models earlier than 2015 as they are of
a different chemistry and have less capacity. Buy them NEW on ebay.