Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

1234 ... 8

Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

John Garbarini
Lee-
 I'm starting from scratch.
John

Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

Zeke Yewdall
What's the budget?  A Tesla would do very nicely, but a converted
pickup with Lithiums should be able to do it at half the cost even if
you paid someone to convert it.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM, John Garbarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lee-
>  I'm starting from scratch.
> John

About 10-15K. No Teslas for me, although they're wonderful EVs.

What's the budget?  A Tesla would do very nicely, but a converted
pickup with Lithiums should be able to do it at half the cost even if
you paid someone to convert it.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM, John Garbarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lee-
>  I'm starting from scratch.
> John

Hmmmm.   For that price, I don't think you're going to get there.  I'm
going to have about $15k of parts in mine when I'm done, and I'm
expected about a 50 mile range -- there are alot of areas where I
could have skimped, and still gotten 50miles, but even going cheap
controller, cheap batteries, cheap motor, it's going to be hard to get
more than 70 miles, I'm guessing, for $15k.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:27 PM, John Garbarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> About 10-15K. No Teslas for me, although they're wonderful EVs.

Nicolas Drouin
Hi John,

>From the other thread, you mentioned that you need to do 25miles to
work.  But your initial request is for a 150 mile EV.

Unless one has very deep pockets, I would say that hobbiest EVs are
purpose-built vehicles.  The better you understand and define your
requirements, the easier it will be to start and complete the project.

For example, I wanted my EV to do 15 miles to work, on the highway, in
Canadian winters.  I knew I could charge at work, but also knew that I
had to be able to return home (if my kids get sick at the daycare,
etc) without charging at work.  So I targeted something that would
provide 30miles highway until a 90%DOD (depth of discharge) when the
batteries are both a year old and cold.  I made sure I had enough
power to get on the highway and stay with the traffic (Montrealers are
rather aggressive drivers, to say the least).

It will be important for you to reflect on your requirements; post
them to the list, and see what you get from there.

To get you started, you've stated:
  - 25 highway miles twice a day
  - 10k - 15k budget

Some questions to complete that:
 - Can you charge at work?  For how long?
 - How far do you need to go when not commuting, 150miles?
 - Do you need a particular car type: truck, compact sedan, two-seater?

Cheers,

-Nick

Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

John Garbarini
How about 20K?

Hmmmm.   For that price, I don't think you're going to get there.  I'm
going to have about $15k of parts in mine when I'm done, and I'm
expected about a 50 mile range -- there are alot of areas where I
could have skimped, and still gotten 50miles, but even going cheap
controller, cheap batteries, cheap motor, it's going to be hard to get
more than 70 miles, I'm guessing, for $15k.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:27 PM, John Garbarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> About 10-15K. No Teslas for me, although they're wonderful EVs.

Roger Heuckeroth
Mine is coming in at about $20K, not counting labor.

Glider 2001 Audi A4 $2K after selling ICE.
20 KW Lithium battery pack with BMS and charger $11K
Warp 11 motor $3K
Zilla controller $3K
Vacuum pump, PS pump, contactors, fuses etc. $1K

I hope to get 60 miles range to 80% DOD.

Now if I was going to range, I would have went with a smaller motor
and controller and put more money into lithium.  150 mile range is
probably going to take over 40kWh of lithium.  At current pricing that
is going to put you near 20K just for the battery.

On Apr 13, 2009, at 6:05 PM, John Garbarini wrote:

> How about 20K?

wjdennis@qwest.net
Here's a ballpark calcuation for you:

1)  Divide 150 by your car's MPG rating as an ICE
2)  Multiple the result by 8,000Kwh (1 gal. gas ~= 8000Kwh)
3)  Divide by 3.2V to get the number of Amp-hours of LFP lithium Amp-hours
that you need
4)  Divide by .8 so that you keep your cells above 80% DOD
5)  There's a group by in the works for $1.10 per amp-hour

Here's an example with a 30 MPG car

1)  150 /30 = 5 gallons
2)  5 * 8,000 = 40,000 Kwh
3)  40,000 / 3.2 = 12,500 Ah
4)  12,500 / .8 = 15,600 Ah
5)  15,600 * 1.1 = $17,187

So a 30 MPG car will need in the area of $17,000 in LFP cells to achieve
150 miles.

Bill Dennis

wrote:

>> Lee-
>>  I'm starting from scratch.
>> John

Willie McKemie
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 03:05:18PM -0700, John Garbarini wrote:
> How about 20K?

Zeke is right.  The cheapest way to go that I can see is about 45
TS-LFP400s.  See recent threads on a group buy.  I think you will find
that that is the cheapest way to get ThunderSkys.  To get them here it
will cost around $1.30 per amphour.  Total for cells, about $23K.  BMS,
around $1.5K.  Motor, controller, charger, and conversion by EVBlue
would likely be around $12K.  Or, save a few $K using your own labor.
Add the value of the donor.  Find a $10K new truck and you're looking
at close to $50K.  You WILL need a truck; my conversion has 45
TS-LFP260s, about 900 pounds, and "only" goes 100 miles.  45 LFP-400s
should weigh about 1400 pounds.
http://www.evalbum.com/2314

You can use a much cheaper donor, but that makes little sense
considering the value of the battery.

Dave Kois (http://www.poweredbydc.com/) is doing 100 mile Rav4s and
might be able to get 1400 lbs of cells in one, but I imagine that would
be over $50K, too.

Now that I think about it a little, 45 400s probably wouldn't make 150
miles in a truck.  You would likely use more than 300 watt-hours per
mile, maybe as much as 400.  45 400s would be 57.6 kwh of which no more
than 46 kwh should be used.  153 miles at 300 wh/m, 131 miles at
350wh/m, 115 miles at 400 wh/m.  You can add a few more cells at 1.28
kwh each; 3-4 more miles for each cell.

Before you spend that kind of money, you need to be REALLY sure you
want/need 150 miles.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995

Zeke Yewdall wrote:
>> What's the budget?  A Tesla would do very nicely, but a converted
>> pickup with Lithiums should be able to do it at half the cost even
>> if you paid someone to convert it.

> About 10-15K. No Teslas for me, although they're wonderful EVs.

Ouch. That's a tough one. I'm an engineer, and we like to say, "You want
high performance, low cost, and you want it now? Pick two, and call me
back..."

A high range requirement and a low budget means you're going to have to
make serious compromises in some other areas. For example, a low top
speed, or a very small one-passenger vehicle, or you're willing to
"donate" extraordinary amounts of your time to the project.

If you convert a normal vehicle to electric, you are starting with a
vehicle that is very heavy, and isn't built to carry much payload in
comparison to its own weight. This is a consequence of the extremely
high energy density of gasoline (more energy per pound than dynamite)!

The most affordable batteries are lead-acid. But they are heavy. A
normal car or truck can't carry enough of them to go 150 miles on a
charge. 50 miles on a charge is good for lead-acid in a normal EV
conversion.

The obvious solution is to use some higher-tech battery, like lithiums.
They have 3 times the energy per pound, so you can get a 150 mile range.
But they are many times the price of lead-acid. $10k-$15k wouldn't even
buy the batteries for your 150-range EV.

There are a couple ways out of this trap. First, you can build a much
smaller vehicle. It scales the whole problem down. A vehicle that's half
the weight needs half the power, and half as many batteries. So, you
could convert some tiny little microcar. Instead of needing $20k worth
of high-tech batteries, you only need $10k worth. That leaves $5k for
the rest of the project (difficult, but not impossible).

Another way out is to build a low speed vehicle. An EV that can goes 50
miles per charge at 60 mph can go 100 miles per charge at 30 mph. But, I
doubt that you want to spend 5 hours to drive that 150 miles.

Finally, you can build a vehicle from scratch. Scratch built EVs are
typically much lighter, so they can carry twice the batteries, and so
have twice the range. You wind up with a car that's built more like a
race car or high performance airplane. This will require a *lot* more
labor than converting some vehicle. It either costs you a lot of money,
or a lot of time.

Do any of these approaches appeal to you?
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering
There is a crack in everything

Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

Lawrence Rhodes

In the world of lead acid vehicles anytime you can equal the weight of the vehicle in lead you should have around a 150 mile range.  So a 1500 pound vehicle carrying 1500 pounds of lead.  Another tac to take is having really, really fast charging.  That might be a less expensive way to go.  It might be better to have a 60 mile range car that handled well with a one hour charge time rather than a 150 mile range vehicle with a 3 or 4 hour charge time.  A mini truck with 40 Golf cart batteries has been done and has over 100 mile range. (see Red Beastie in the ev photo album) It takes a lot of doing but can be done for under 15k.  Lawrence Rhodes....

Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

Jack Murray

You need to add a gasoline engine to your EV to go 150 miles for $15k.
Really, why 150 miles, and what speeds?
If you build a superlightweight aerodynamic turbo-diesel powered car,
you could go 150 miles and generate very little C02, and do it for probably $10k.  But if its stop-n-go traffic, maybe not the best choice.
Jack

> --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> From: Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] What do I need to do to get a 150 mile
> range on my EV?
> To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 4:47 PM
>

> What's the budget?  A Tesla would do very nicely, but a
> converted
> pickup with Lithiums should be able to do it at half the
> cost even if
> you paid someone to convert it.

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM, John Garbarini <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Lee-
> >  I'm starting from scratch.
> > John
> >
> > --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > From: Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: [EVDL] What do I need to do to get a 150 mile
> range on my EV?
> > To: "EV list" <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 2:16 PM
> >

> > John Garbarini wrote:
> >> What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my
> EV?
> >
> > First, start a new thread...
> >
> > Second, do you already have an EV that has some lesser
> range, and you
> > are trying to increase its range? Or, are you looking
> to buy or build an
> > EV that can go 150 miles on a charge?
> > --
> > Ring the bells that still can ring
> > Forget the perfect offering
> > There is a crack in everything
> > That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard
> Cohen
> > --
> > Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

John Garbarini
What would be the capacity of the gas tank?

You need to add a gasoline engine to your EV to go 150 miles for $15k.
Really, why 150 miles, and what speeds?
If you build a superlightweight aerodynamic turbo-diesel powered car,
you could go 150 miles and generate very little C02, and do it for probably $10k.  But if its stop-n-go traffic, maybe not the best choice.
Jack

> --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> From: Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] What do I need to do to get a 150 mile
> range on my EV?
> To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 4:47 PM
>

> What's the budget?  A Tesla would do very nicely, but a
> converted
> pickup with Lithiums should be able to do it at half the
> cost even if
> you paid someone to convert it.

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM, John Garbarini <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Lee-
> >  I'm starting from scratch.
> > John
> >
> > --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > From: Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: [EVDL] What do I need to do to get a 150 mile
> range on my EV?
> > To: "EV list" <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 2:16 PM
> >

> > John Garbarini wrote:
> >> What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my
> EV?
> >
> > First, start a new thread...
> >
> > Second, do you already have an EV that has some lesser
> range, and you
> > are trying to increase its range? Or, are you looking
> to buy or build an
> > EV that can go 150 miles on a charge?
> > --
> > Ring the bells that still can ring
> > Forget the perfect offering
> > There is a crack in everything
> > That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard
> Cohen
> > --
> > Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

John Garbarini
150 miles would be the max miles I would go in a day, although the average daily use would be closer to 100 miles per day. 1/2 highway , up to 55 mph, and 1/2 suburbs, at 25 mph.

You need to add a gasoline engine to your EV to go 150 miles for $15k.
Really, why 150 miles, and what speeds?
If you build a superlightweight aerodynamic turbo-diesel powered car,
you could go 150 miles and generate very little C02, and do it for probably $10k.  But if its stop-n-go traffic, maybe not the best choice.
Jack

> --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> From: Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] What do I need to do to get a 150 mile
> range on my EV?
> To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 4:47 PM
>

> What's the budget?  A Tesla would do very nicely, but a
> converted
> pickup with Lithiums should be able to do it at half the
> cost even if
> you paid someone to convert it.

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM, John Garbarini <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Lee-
> >  I'm starting from scratch.
> > John
> >
> > --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > From: Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: [EVDL] What do I need to do to get a 150 mile
> range on my EV?
> > To: "EV list" <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 2:16 PM
> >

> > John Garbarini wrote:
> >> What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my
> EV?
> >
> > First, start a new thread...
> >
> > Second, do you already have an EV that has some lesser
> range, and you
> > are trying to increase its range? Or, are you looking
> to buy or build an
> > EV that can go 150 miles on a charge?
> > --
> > Ring the bells that still can ring
> > Forget the perfect offering
> > There is a crack in everything
> > That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard
> Cohen
> > --
> > Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

John Garbarini
Bill-
Thanks; this helps
John

wrote:

>> Lee-
>>  I'm starting from scratch.
>> John

Can you plug in at work?

On Apr 14, 2009, at 10:12 AM, John Garbarini wrote:

> What would be the capacity of the gas tank?

Rick Beebe
John Garbarini wrote:
> 150 miles would be the max miles I would go in a day, although the
> average daily use would be closer to 100 miles per day. 1/2 highway ,
> up to 55 mph, and 1/2 suburbs, at 25 mph.

And no opportunity to plug in during the day?

--Rick

Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

dazzorick
Thanks for the plug guys. As mentioned above the trick is getting the
batteries to you. The fact is they still consider the LiFePO4 hazardous
cargo and charge out the bazoo... Shipping is going to be $.17 per Ah and
there is just no way around this .  Customs and broker fees are the killers.
but still $1.27 per Ah is better than $1.50 when you are buying 15,600Ah -
let see @$1.27 = $19,812  / @$1.50 = $23,400.....
man - i never paid that for a car....
add in the harware and mounting all these suckers and I think we blew your
budget here ....
i will post a price sheet on a new thread but wanted to jump in here.
we need to build the cars around the batteries i think .....
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:40 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Here's a ballpark calcuation for you:
>
> 1)  Divide 150 by your car's MPG rating as an ICE
> 2)  Multiple the result by 8,000Kwh (1 gal. gas ~= 8000Kwh)
> 3)  Divide by 3.2V to get the number of Amp-hours of LFP lithium Amp-hours
> that you need
> 4)  Divide by .8 so that you keep your cells above 80% DOD
> 5)  There's a group by in the works for $1.10 per amp-hour
>
> Here's an example with a 30 MPG car
>
> 1)  150 /30 = 5 gallons
> 2)  5 * 8,000 = 40,000 Kwh
> 3)  40,000 / 3.2 = 12,500 Ah
> 4)  12,500 / .8 = 15,600 Ah
> 5)  15,600 * 1.1 = $17,187
>
> So a 30 MPG car will need in the area of $17,000 in LFP cells to achieve
> 150 miles.
>
> Bill Dennis

Bob Rice-2
  150 miles? Ya need the patience of Job,or Jesus , a FLAT, warm country, a
few 120 volt outlets to snack on, when YOU snack, or have to piddle<g>?I got
only 100 miles on my Rabbit in my record run!So YMMV?Or throw in several
extra batteries in the trunk or passenger seats? Think having a passenger is
like maybe 3-5 batteries, depending on how big they are?So it's a BORING
solo run!Or TRAILER load of extras Just for that 150 mile run?THAT'S how
they did it in the older Tour De Sol, back when it WAS EV's

    Bob
150 miles would be the max miles I would go in a day, although the average
daily use would be closer to 100 miles per day. 1/2 highway , up to 55 mph,
and 1/2 suburbs, at 25 mph.

You need to add a gasoline engine to your EV to go 150 miles for $15k.
Really, why 150 miles, and what speeds?
If you build a superlightweight aerodynamic turbo-diesel powered car,
you could go 150 miles and generate very little C02, and do it for probably
$10k. But if its stop-n-go traffic, maybe not the best choice.
Jack

> --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> From: Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] What do I need to do to get a 150 mile
> range on my EV?
> To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 4:47 PM
>

> What's the budget? A Tesla would do very nicely, but a
> converted
> pickup with Lithiums should be able to do it at half the
> cost even if
> you paid someone to convert it.

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM, John Garbarini <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Lee-
> > I'm starting from scratch.
> > John
> >
> > --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > From: Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: [EVDL] What do I need to do to get a 150 mile
> range on my EV?
> > To: "EV list" <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 2:16 PM
> >

> > John Garbarini wrote:
> >> What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my
> EV?
> >
> > First, start a new thread...
> >
> > Second, do you already have an EV that has some lesser
> range, and you
> > are trying to increase its range? Or, are you looking
> to buy or build an
> > EV that can go 150 miles on a charge?
> > --
> > Ring the bells that still can ring
> > Forget the perfect offering
> > There is a crack in everything
> > That's how the light gets in -- Leonard
> Cohen
> > --
> > Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Re: What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my EV?

John Garbarini
There's gotta be a way to do this....

150 miles would be the max miles I would go in a day, although the average
daily use would be closer to 100 miles per day. 1/2 highway , up to 55 mph,
and 1/2 suburbs, at 25 mph.

You need to add a gasoline engine to your EV to go 150 miles for $15k.
Really, why 150 miles, and what speeds?
If you build a superlightweight aerodynamic turbo-diesel powered car,
you could go 150 miles and generate very little C02, and do it for probably
$10k. But if its stop-n-go traffic, maybe not the best choice.
Jack

> --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> From: Zeke Yewdall <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] What do I need to do to get a 150 mile
> range on my EV?
> To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 4:47 PM
>

> What's the budget? A Tesla would do very nicely, but a
> converted
> pickup with Lithiums should be able to do it at half the
> cost even if
> you paid someone to convert it.

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM, John Garbarini <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Lee-
> > I'm starting from scratch.
> > John
> >
> > --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > From: Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: [EVDL] What do I need to do to get a 150 mile
> range on my EV?
> > To: "EV list" <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 2:16 PM
> >

> > John Garbarini wrote:
> >> What do I need to do to get a 150 mile range on my
> EV?
> >
> > First, start a new thread...
> >
> > Second, do you already have an EV that has some lesser
> range, and you
> > are trying to increase its range? Or, are you looking
> to buy or build an
> > EV that can go 150 miles on a charge?
> > --
> > Ring the bells that still can ring
> > Forget the perfect offering
> > There is a crack in everything
> > That's how the light gets in -- Leonard
> Cohen
> > --
> > Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

1234 ... 8